Sponsored by:

2018 transmission shudder, lucky me

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:16 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAdEnD
This thread makes me think I need to relearn to drive a manual (been 20+ since) and buy a manual C7 instead of the planned A8. Problem is no one I know drives a manual. I would have to relearn on the C7.
It's like riding a bike. You won't have any problems operating the manual transmission, and I predict you will be happy you got the stick shift every time you drive the car
Old 09-30-2018, 07:29 PM
DeAdEnD
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrepp
It's like riding a bike. You won't have any problems operating the manual transmission, and I predict you will be happy you got the stick shift every time you drive the car
Agreed, it's going to be easier now to drive one, rev matching, hill assist what more does one need? All these A8 threads, I just can't can commit to an auto it has to be a M7. I know the auto is convenient and faster but in my mind I would always be thinking will today be the day it fails? What fun is that? I am having a hard time understanding why people keep buying an A8 not just a C7 but across the GM line.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

it doesn't fail.. it's a fluid issue that's been resolved for over a year.. this trans has put C7's in the low 9's and street driven.. reliably... Once you get the new fluid (if miles are low enough) any issue is over with. and if not? you get a new converter NEW fluid and it's the same.

If you haven't driven an A8 equipped C7 (especially Z06 or SC C7) you have no idea what a great trans this is.. it's FANTASTIC..
Old 10-01-2018, 07:25 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
it doesn't fail.. it's a fluid issue that's been resolved for over a year.. this trans has put C7's in the low 9's and street driven.. reliably... Once you get the new fluid (if miles are low enough) any issue is over with. and if not? you get a new converter NEW fluid and it's the same.

If you haven't driven an A8 equipped C7 (especially Z06 or SC C7) you have no idea what a great trans this is.. it's FANTASTIC..
I hope you are right about the new fluid. Time will tell.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:34 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAdEnD
Agreed, it's going to be easier now to drive one, rev matching, hill assist what more does one need? All these A8 threads, I just can't can commit to an auto it has to be a M7. I know the auto is convenient and faster but in my mind I would always be thinking will today be the day it fails? What fun is that? I am having a hard time understanding why people keep buying an A8 not just a C7 but across the GM line.
The general public really has no idea about the torque converter issue in the A8 so they never worry about it failing. Also, they really don’t have a transmission choice in with the trucks and SUVs. That said, the reason to select the M7 over the A8 is not because the potential A8 issues but because the M7 is just that much more fun to drive. If you are not just looking to get from point a to point b and you truly appreciate driving then the engaging experience of commanding a manual transmission in a high performance sports car is about as fun as it gets. I highly recommend it. Get the manual while it still exists.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
OP of this thread traded one vehicle with the balky A8 in on another with the same crappy tansmission. WTF? SMH. Why people keep buying the A8 is beyond me. "Here GM, take 70K of my money and kick me in the nuts." "Oh, oh, I love the pain, kick me again."
Give the guy a break. He expected the problem to have been solved. Obviously, GM hasn’t fixed it.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:57 AM
DeAdEnD
Heel & Toe

For some reason I could have sworn someone here has reported 19 with the problem too, but I might be wrong. I am not sure about timing but I believed people have had the flush, then TC changed just to have the same problem and have the TC changed again. Again not sure on the timeline of those in conjunction with the new fluid or I could have completely misread everything.....
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (10-06-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:38 AM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLife+
I wouldn't think the Range would have any effect on the TC lockup or not. It only affects the AFM from being operational (disables it).
The TC still locks at some predetermined speed with a Range installed, just like TC;s have done for many years in automatic transmissions. This is to eliminate the slippage that occurs between engine output and transmission input when only coupled through the fluid in the TC to improve gas mileage.

The difference is that when in V4, the A8 TC locks/unlocks every few microseconds or so to eliminate the vibration caused by running a V8 engine in V4 mode. This process is know as "pulse width modulation". By preventing the ECM/TCM from entering V4 mode, the Range stops this modulation of the TC lockup and lets it lock fully at the predetermined speed only to unlock when dropping below it.
The following 3 users liked this post by wbrands:
Jeffer (10-06-2018), Slynky (10-02-2018), VaydorVette1 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,151 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The shudder comes from the lockup clutch in the converter not "locking" in the manner expected because of increased wear from the constant on/off modulation it experiences during V4 operation. To a lesser extent these "micro-slips" of the friction clutch are used when engaging the lockup clutch in normal use but this is the same smooth engagement method GM has been using for many years and the wear from this portion of the operation is so minimal that the lockup clutch material will easily last through the normal lifespan of the transmission.

As the lockup clutch wears, it no longer grips as expected so the transmission controller commands greater lockup force which results in harsh engagement. When shudder starts your lockup clutch is in a cycle of constant greater slippage than expected followed by an abrupt harsh lockup as engagement pressure is ramped up to prevent the unexpected slippage and this constant dance of slip then hard lock that occurs during AFM operation creates shudder. The friction modified fluid GM now uses helps to mask some of the problem but the lockup clutch material in the torque converter is still being stressed under a severe duty cycle.

A lockup clutch was added to torque converters many years ago as a method to increase fuel economy by preventing the normal power loss that occurs in the converter at cruising speed and this also reduced heat buildup in the converter because the power lost in the converter gets converted to heat. It is very good at accomplishing its original intended purpose but not so much with the perverted AFM system GM uses. Just as the converter clutch slip is used to mask the additional vibration and harshness from operating a V8 as a V4 the new fluid is designed to mask the effects of utilizing a lockup clutch in a manner/duty cycle not originally intended. The problem could be addressed by either leaving the lockup clutch locked in AFM mode but then the vibration would be too noticeable to vehicle occupants OR just leave the clutch disengaged during AFM operation but then the very minimal mileage increase from V4 operation would probably turn into a mileage loss due to power lost in the open converter.

The best solutions so far are to either use a Range module or drive in manual mode or move to Europe because the A8 equipped Corvettes for that market only use AFM when eco mode is selected just like the M7 models sold in the U.S.
Your post was completely enlightening. It helped me to finally understand about the issues associated with V4/V8 mode and and the lockup clutch in the converter.

And your follow up reply about “The tick from the fuel pump is a slow tick at idle and sounds very much like a lifter tick since it is also driven via a camshaft lobe” was also enlightening. I had assumed the tick was a lifter tick. Now I know.

Thank you.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 10-02-2018 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ericm1949 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,151 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
it's funny to read that even with all the examples of bad A8 trannies, people are willing to risk it because they don't or can't drive a MN7.
I did not have a choice due to my left Achilles injury it was an A8 or nothing.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 10-02-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Your post was completely enlightening. It helped me to finally understand about the issues associated with V4/V8 mode and and the lockup clutch in the converter.

And your follow up reply about “The tick from the fuel pump is a slow tick at idle and sounds very much like a lifter tick since it is also driven via a camshaft lobe” was also enlightening. I had assumed the tick was a lifter tick. Now I know.

Thank you.
Maxie,

You are very welcome. I believe with a Range module you will have very few worries about the A8 or any other AFM related issues.

I have been completely happy with the A8 in my 2016 Z06 and I have driven a lot of different manual and automatic equipped vehicles over the years. I also don't feel the need to go "evangelical religious" to try to convert every M7 driver to an A8 unlike some of the proselytizing M7 owners
The following 3 users liked this post by NSC5:
23/C8Z (10-02-2018), Ericm1949 (10-06-2018), Maxie2U (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM
DeAdEnD
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

I did not have a choice due to my left Achilles injury it was an A8 or nothing.
I hear ya, I have about three discs in my lower back disintegrate and it's bone on bone now. On occasion, it flares up and using the left leg to push a clutch is not something I would look forward to so I can understand those scenarios would require an auto.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by VaydorVette1
Huge thanks for this explanation. Much appreciated.

N' just for my own clarification...
C7's with the M7 trans also have AFM and a Torque Converter in the transmission?
No, C7s with the M7 transmission don't have a torque converter. They do have AFM, but unlike the A8, the M7 C7 will only go into AFM mode if you choose to toggle the car over into ECO mode. In other words, you have to choose to put it in ECO mode. It won't go into AFM operation by itself on normal startup and drive.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:53 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619

...they really don’t have a transmission choice in with the trucks and SUVs
I brought my 2017 truck in for the "triple flush" and the GM loaned me his 2019 Silverado 1500 Trail Boss that has 6 speed auto. Told me he refused to drive 8 speed because of associated problems and resists going 10 speed till he's confident in reliability and smooth operation. The 6 speed is still available with certain packages.

2019 CHEVROLET SILVERADO PROPULSION LINEUP
4.3L V-6 w/AFM (6-spd.)2.7L I-4 Turbo w/AFM (8-spd.)
5.3L V-8 w/AFM (6-spd.)
5.3L V-8 w/DFM (8-spd.)
3.0L I-6 Turbo-Diesel (10-spd.)
6.2L V-8 w/DFM (10-spd.)

Last edited by NemesisC5; 10-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Floridadutch
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Just started in my 17 GS. All speeds, acceleration and deceleration as well during automatic down shifting. Jst under 7000 miled. Taking it to dealer tomorrow. They don't sell a lot of vettes so I hope they understand the problrm.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:49 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Jist give them the tsb number
Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Floridadutch
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Update on last night's post. Got to dealer and spoke with one of their top men who also is the liaison to our local vette club. He attended last Tuesday's meeting which I did not. Apparently he made a short talk regarding this very problem and urged members with recent models to come in. He took me back to service who also was on top of the issue. She explained that they have not had good success with the flush solving the problem and GM requires that first. This dealer is writing it up in such a way that they will have me in only once and will do the flush and replace the torque converter at the same time. They are being very proactive in in addressing the iissue and taking good care of their customers and making the whole thing as easy as possible. Kudos to the dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 transmission shudder, lucky me

Old 10-06-2018, 02:55 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I wonder what GM will do if a car is flushed and then shudder returns past 5 years or 60k miles. Will they replace the TC at no cost?
Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I wonder what GM will do if a car is flushed and then shudder returns past 5 years or 60k miles. Will they replace the TC at no cost?
no need to wonder. 1 minute out of warranty, they’ll politely ask their customer go pound sand
Old 10-06-2018, 03:26 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Great way to sell extended warranties.

Quick Reply: 2018 transmission shudder, lucky me