Sponsored by:

2018 transmission shudder, lucky me

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM
MidLife+
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLife+
My 2 cents.... I can use manual mode on the A8 and still have the shudder. Manual mode does not allow the AFM to function. my 2016 Z06 has had the fluid flush and torque converter replaced. I still have the shudder and erratic/sloppy up and down shift at times. Taking it back to the shop today to determine what their next step is.
Today's Report: They will be replacing the transmission valve body. Back ordered from the factory so it will be 4 to 6 weeks to get one.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:12 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Today's Report: They will be replacing the transmission valve body. Back ordered from the factory so it will be 4 to 6 weeks to get one.
Ridiculous.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:04 PM
stevesrubyred93
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another update. I picked the car up on Saturday. they did the flush and they told me to drive it 500 miles. He said that if I still have problems, they would replace the torque converter. I don't have to drive it 500 miles it's still shuddering when I accelerate. It does shift smother, but still have a shudder vibration. I have ordered a Range unit and it is supposed to arrive Thursday.I'll try it, but I think the converter will need to be replaced.This Sucks.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

GM TSB here
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-02-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:55 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

This is clearly due to AFM - it causes massive vibrations in v4 mode and wears out the TC, plain and simple. If you are using AFM, your TC will wear out prematurely at some point. The fluid change is not a fix, it's a band aid (GM would rather keep applying cheap bandaids and hope your warranty runs out rather than expensive drivetrain repairs) - better lubrication will help the TC last longer, but again, if you're using AFM, the TC will still fail prematurely. GM's 'fix' for this issue is a disgrace. The real fix is to stop using AFM, period. AFM is a failed technology.
The following 2 users liked this post by kennyjames21:
Maxie2U (10-02-2018), Rebel Yell (09-28-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesrubyred93
Here is another update. I picked the car up on Saturday. they did the flush and they told me to drive it 500 miles. He said that if I still have problems, they would replace the torque converter. I don't have to drive it 500 miles it's still shuddering when I accelerate. It does shift smother, but still have a shudder vibration. I have ordered a Range unit and it is supposed to arrive Thursday.I'll try it, but I think the converter will need to be replaced.This Sucks.
Make them replace the TC and then do whatever you have to do to stop AFM from kicking in.
Maxie2U (10-02-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:53 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Does the new torque converters actually solve the problem or the new TC is just the same as the original unit and is bound to malfunction after some miles again?
Old 09-26-2018, 02:11 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Here is today's update. Dropped of my car a few hours ago and the service manager told me that it did sound like a torque converter shudder.If it is diagnosed with a shudder he said they would do a transmission flush and install updated fluid.I said it was a 18 and should already have the updated fluid. He said it depends on the build date. So apparently there are a ton off these out there that were made in 17.He did tell me if it was a Silverado they would replace the torque converter on the first visit, but not on the Vettes. He told me they receive Silverados everyday with this problem and they had 5 of them in the bays right now,and it might take a while to get to mine. Its not just Silverado's and Corvettes either. There was a Colorado parked right in front of me with a shudder problem that he pointed out to me.So If they are replacing the converters on the trucks, why not the Vettes? Sounds like it's too expensive on the Vettes.I will update when I know more.
My dealer said the same thing. He told me if I had a truck they would replace the TC. Since it's a Corvette they have to do the triple flush first and see if this stops the shudder. Glad I bought a 7 year warranty. Car will be gone sooner than later. What a fiasco.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:41 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
Does the new torque converters actually solve the problem or the new TC is just the same as the original unit and is bound to malfunction after some miles again?
Sure, a new TC fixes it until the AFM technology destroys it again. Supposedly there is a new fluid formula for the TC that will fix it but I assume it just reduces the wear a bit longer before it starts shuddering. Only time will tell. Like others I would suggest disabling AFM by using a Range device.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:59 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

This AFM/Torque Converter issue is to the C7 Gen what the LS7 issue was to the C6 Z06. More GM BS. Only GM really knows the numbers of complaints nationwide. Unfortunately, as the miles pile up more failures will occur. An extended warranty is a must with these A8s. Meanwhile, I would not drive an A8 in eco mode, ever.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:54 PM
MidLife+
Advanced

Originally Posted by 89L98
This AFM/Torque Converter issue is to the C7 Gen what the LS7 issue was to the C6 Z06. More GM BS. Only GM really knows the numbers of complaints nationwide. Unfortunately, as the miles pile up more failures will occur. An extended warranty is a must with these A8s. Meanwhile, I would not drive an A8 in eco mode, ever.

Just an FYI - AFM is active in all drive modes not just Eco. The only way to disable AFM (other than a Range) is to put it in manual mode and paddle shift. I have had both the flush and TC replaced. I still have a shudder. I just got my range this week so I test to see if the shudder is still there with it installed.
Maxie2U (10-02-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Just an FYI - AFM is active in all drive modes not just Eco. The only way to disable AFM (other than a Range) is to put it in manual mode and paddle shift. I have had both the flush and TC replaced. I still have a shudder. I just got my range this week so I test to see if the shudder is still there with it installed.
Thank You. This is what I meant. Good Luck with your A8.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default glad I stayed "old school"....

Originally Posted by falcon5619
I have not heard of the A6 experiencing this issue but I could be wrong. Although the A8 has this issue in all the GM vehicles that use it. It is AFM, they ruined a great transmission with that fuel saving tech that really doesn't save that much fuel. Ask the folks using the Range device.

Now, if you like to row your own gears the Tremec M7 is a sweet transmission and you never really hear bad things about it. It sounds like manuals will be collectors items soon so might as well pick one up. :-)
...and stayed with the M7; besides, it also serves as a great theft deterrent.....who drives a stick?
LT4CMG (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 04:22 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Default Torque converter & Range

Question: with the range device plugged in, does the TC still lock and unlock? Have heard it is still active but not nearly as much, true or false. Thanks
Old 09-27-2018, 08:31 AM
MidLife+
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Question: with the range device plugged in, does the TC still lock and unlock? Have heard it is still active but not nearly as much, true or false. Thanks

I wouldn't think the Range would have any effect on the TC lockup or not. It only affects the AFM from being operational (disables it).
Old 09-27-2018, 04:59 PM
macjac69
Advanced

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

So did the Range give you any improvement?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:34 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

OP. This isn't gonna fix it. Your car has the new fluid fron factory. There's another issue rear end torque tube etc.

they need to diagnose this properly

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 09-27-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 transmission shudder, lucky me

Old 09-29-2018, 08:59 AM
stevesrubyred93
8th Gear

Originally Posted by macjac69
So did the Range give you any improvement?
I installed the Range and it is much better.I still feel some slight vibration, but the shifts are much better. I would defiantly recommend the Range device. I am still going to try and get my TC replaced because I think the damage was already done. I will also get a Range for my wife's 17 Silverado as I drove it the other day and couldn't stand it going into v4.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 AM
stevesrubyred93
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP. This isn't gonna fix it. Your car has the new fluid fron factory. There's another issue rear end torque tube etc.

they need to diagnose this properly
They claimed that my car did not have the "Newest" fluid. It did shift better when I picked it up. Still has a little vibration when accelerating. I am now running the Range and it is a lot better but I will still get the TC replaced.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 AM
VaydorVette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The shudder comes from the lockup clutch in the converter not "locking" in the manner expected because of increased wear from the constant on/off modulation it experiences during V4 operation. To a lesser extent these "micro-slips" of the friction clutch are used when engaging the lockup clutch in normal use but this is the same smooth engagement method GM has been using for many years and the wear from this portion of the operation is so minimal that the lockup clutch material will easily last through the normal lifespan of the transmission.

As the lockup clutch wears, it no longer grips as expected so the transmission controller commands greater lockup force which results in harsh engagement. When shudder starts your lockup clutch is in a cycle of constant greater slippage than expected followed by an abrupt harsh lockup as engagement pressure is ramped up to prevent the unexpected slippage and this constant dance of slip then hard lock that occurs during AFM operation creates shudder. The friction modified fluid GM now uses helps to mask some of the problem but the lockup clutch material in the torque converter is still being stressed under a severe duty cycle.

A lockup clutch was added to torque converters many years ago as a method to increase fuel economy by preventing the normal power loss that occurs in the converter at cruising speed and this also reduced heat buildup in the converter because the power lost in the converter gets converted to heat. It is very good at accomplishing its original intended purpose but not so much with the perverted AFM system GM uses. Just as the converter clutch slip is used to mask the additional vibration and harshness from operating a V8 as a V4 the new fluid is designed to mask the effects of utilizing a lockup clutch in a manner/duty cycle not originally intended. The problem could be addressed by either leaving the lockup clutch locked in AFM mode but then the vibration would be too noticeable to vehicle occupants OR just leave the clutch disengaged during AFM operation but then the very minimal mileage increase from V4 operation would probably turn into a mileage loss due to power lost in the open converter.

The best solutions so far are to either use a Range module or drive in manual mode or move to Europe because the A8 equipped Corvettes for that market only use AFM when eco mode is selected just like the M7 models sold in the U.S.
Huge thanks for this explanation. Much appreciated.

N' just for my own clarification...
C7's with the M7 trans also have AFM and a Torque Converter in the transmission?

Quick Reply: 2018 transmission shudder, lucky me