Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:15 AM
repo czar
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Power Steering

I have a 2017 Stingray Z51 with Automatic Transmission. I got it new in August, 2017. It has 18,989 miles on it.
I started getting a warning message to Check Power Steering recently. When I get the message the Power part of the steering stops working and it is very difficult to steer. To overcome this I have stopped the engine and opened the door to stop the electric power in the car. Then I restart the engine and the steering has power again. Still it could be very dangerous when it happens.
After this happened three times I took it to Bill DeFouw Chevrolet in Lafayette, IN. They found a Technical Service Bulletin about this and ordered the parts and fixed it. They said it was overheating.
Two weeks later the warning message appeared again and the power steering shut down. This happened three more times in the next two days. I took my wonderful Corvette to Andy Mohr Chevrolet in Plainfield as they are the second largest Corvette dealer in Indiana. They have three trained Corvette technicians. They kept my car to try to recreate the situation and gave me a loaner. It has been a week now and they have not been successful. I will give them until Tuesday.
I chose Andy Mohr because I have ordered my 2019 Grand Sport from them. The car they are trying to fix is the trade they will get from me. I thought this would be more motivation for them to fix the problem.
I searched this Forum for Power Steering problems but found nothing. Can I declare my car a Lemon and get my new car free?

Here is an update on the work done by Andy Mohr Chevrolet in Plainfield, Indiana. They fixed it.
After over a week trying to replicate the Code the dealer had nothing. I took the advice from this post and contacted Chevrolet Customer Service and got a Senior Tech person involved. The result was they replaced the entire Steering Gear, did a Steering Angle sensor set up and did an Alignment. I got the Sting Ray returner yesterday and I am very pleased.

Last edited by repo czar; 09-20-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 09-15-2018, 11:17 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Can I declare my car a Lemon and get my new can free?
Totally depends on the law in your state
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 11:46 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Read this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-failure.html

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
repo czar (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by repo czar
I searched this Forum for Power Steering problems but found nothing.
Lots of posts re steering failures! The best search is google or bing! It will bring up the Forum Posts as well, much better and faster than the Forum Search-as with most!

I gave up on my website search years ago-no way can it keep up with google and bing that have many BOTS working 24/7 searching for new web "stuff."

They will replace your whole unit as it's a known supplier issue.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-15-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:41 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Odds are your whole rack needs to be replaced but a few people said that it was just a loose ground wire. Here are two threads, one I started and another at the exact same time:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4007829-power-steering-failure.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4006914-power-steering-failed.html
Old 09-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,136 Likes on 2,240 Posts

I experienced the same problem during our recent Coast to Coast roadtrip. My problem turned out to be a lose ground wire after tightening the bolt it has not happened again. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Maxie2U; 09-15-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by repo czar
I searched this Forum for Power Steering problems but found nothing. Can I declare my car a Lemon and get my new car free?
No. Lemon Laws are not about giving you free new cars. You may be able to get them to buy back your OLD car, but you must give them a chance to fix it. Most Lemon Laws say they get THREE times to fix the same problem or 30 days. Also, there is frequently a "mileage offset" to calculate. You have nearly 20,000 miles on your vette in a little over a year so GM would get credit for the fact that you used your car and your "buy back" price will be correspondingly less. YMMV, of course, and threatening Lemon Law may spur them to greater effort, but from what you have said, you're not there yet.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I experienced the same problem during our recent Coast to Coast roadtrip. My problem turned out to be a lose ground wire after tightening the bolt it has not happened again. Fingers crossed.
Of interest, after I posted how I installed my "Catch Can" so I did not combine the mounting bracket with a chassis ground as is recommended in the instructions, a poster who was having occasional steering lose mounted his the same way and indicated the problem went away.

In a quick transient move the electric power steering can exceed 100 amps! Of interest out BMW X5 SUV has two batteries that operate in series when connected to the electric steering. That cuts the current draw in half!

Note: In addition to moving the ground to the left, I used a stud to mount the bracket with a nylon locking nut.
I decided to install it that way so: 1) I wasn't trying to ground though an anodized bracket and 2) so it was easier to remove the Catch Can for cleaning.

Catch Can Bracket Mounts on Stud.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-15-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:50 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Mounted the Elite Catch Can as per their paperwork only a few weeks after taking delivery of my Z51 in Feb. 2014 and never had any issues whatsoever.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

I'm sure many have and had no issues BUT not sure how often they take the can off to clean the top section. I have an Elite can and take off that Nylon Lock nut off the stud I added that makes it easy to get the bottom can section back on after dumping. No continually threading a steel bolt in the aluminum rail. I also clean the stainless ribbon with alcohol periodically.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering

Quick Reply: Power Steering