Sponsored by:

Mid engine supercar Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

Default Same Old Song

I hear the same arguments about the new generation Corvette every time a new generation is about to be introduced. When the new car finally rolls out, the prior gen car begins to look dated. It happens every time.
I'm going to take a "pause" until the second or third year of the C8 to make sure that the "bugs" are worked out and the Grand Sport/Z06 versions have a chance to be introduced. I wish that the manual trans would be available but progress rules. We always take comfort with what we have until we're tempted with something that's better. Let's hope that the temptation for the new Vette is warranted. I think that there's enough respect for the heritage of the car in the design team to give America a car they can be proud of.

Last edited by lavla; 09-18-2018 at 06:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by lavla
I'm going to take a "pause" until the second or third year of the C8 to make sure that the "bugs" are worked out and the Grand Sport/Z06 versions have a chance to be introduced.
I didn't do that for the C7, which I put money down before there were details or pricing to get "in line" at a large Vette dealer and never had one issue. Hope my Grand Sport is as reliable-never was back to the dealer except to have the dif fluid level checked per a GM notice and when I brought it in, it was fine!

However believe I will wait a short time but NOT as long as it will take to have the Grand Sport introduced. Hoping they will have an efficient, double overhead cam turbo engine in the first offering. Perhaps the rumor that it will have the current pushrod V8 is like when they had C7 IVERS running around with a rear cover and round openings for tail lights!

Many "old timers" had a fit when they saw the tail lights. I just felt it was progress, which it proved to be as they match the angled body panels! We'll see.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-18-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I did the same as JerryU; ordered the '14 with a deposit a year in advance and received the first one from the local dealer's fairly large allocation. Picked it up in early October of 2013.
It's been trouble free and even though I paid MSRP I saved the cost of the price increase that went into effect shortly after introduction.
Mike Mercury (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Only if the C8 comes in a stick and a convertible. Those 2 items are must haves for me.
Same here, BOTH are required, and I'd have to like the looks of the convertible. I honestly haven't seen an ME convertible that I particularly liked the looks of. And a removable top panel design is NOT a convertible.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

No Vette right now but I still would wait to see how well the ME will adapt to every day driving.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:07 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
I'm just relaying what I heard from a major Chevy dealer owner in CT. I really didn't need to take a bunch of crap about it......
Wait, you're the one who reported a sold C8 on the forums. ...knowing not a single C8 has been produced... Sure you're gonna get a bunch a crap about it. Unless of course you verified it. If that's the case, pictures or the comment is useless.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
Went to a car show at a Chevy dealership here in CT and the owner announced that a dealership down state had delivered a C8 and it was $150,000. I'll check to verify that later.
The C8 has not yet been produced except for the test mules being test driven on GM's proving grounds and on the street in camouflage.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 AM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

The C8 will be the "new kid on the block" that everybody will want. I'll consider it. But not for a couple more years.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:14 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I would in a heartbeat... but can I afford it?

It's all a question of economics. I'd like to own Lambos and Ferraris... but they are out of my price range. I have a suspicion that this mid engined "Supercar" will be an additional model; starting out well into the mid $100k range. Right now, any mid-engined sports car that can at-least match the C7's acceleration, cornering, and creature comforts - seems to be well into the $100k range, and that is why I don't have any (sniff).

If GM surprises us and comes out with a 21st century "Fiero" (so that it's base price would be in the $60k region).. as the lone C8... then I'll pass on that.
im not quite sure your extreme insights on where the c8 will land are correct.

i have a feeling as in all the past years you and many of us will be tremendiously impressed with the performance in acceleration, handling, braking as well as styling and pricing..

its something the corvette engineers and marketing people are excellent at delivering.

i think we will see the standard c8 z51 with dct and mrc will be oriced around five grand more than the c7 z51 with similiar feautires.

Of course items that are presently options on the c7 you love might become standard features and built into the c8 s starting price ...

i always enjoy your posts.
Mike Mercury (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

For the street we have really got to the point where the performance limits of the Corvette, even in base form are so high that you can't fully utilize its performance. I think the C8 and lot of other sports cars needs to offer more than just performance moving forward. Styling, fit and finish, reliability, practicality, new tech, improved customer service, etc. need to be a big focus as well in order to get a lot of folks to pony up for the next gen. For me, I prefer a manual transmission and convertible so without those features I will be stuck buying a Camaro, Mustang or Miata if the C8 doesn't offer them.

I think it is very risky to deviate too far from the Corvette formula that has worked for so long. So far, the C8 looks like it will be cost effective Ferrari or Lambo.
JerriVette (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I think the days of manual transmissions are numbered: not just in Corvettes but on all cars. I do believe that the shifting options on automatics will continue to evolve to somewhat compensate for the loss of the clutch shifters. Most people who drive their Corvette in an urban setting just do not want to fool with shifting and clutching. This is one reason why the automatics outsell the standards by such a large margins, even on the Z06. To illustrate my point, in 2017 there were 25556 automatics sold and only 7226 manuals. In the past the Z06 was not even offered in an automatic. For the same year the Z06 automatic outsold the manual by 5153 to 2120. (this is included in the total sales numbers above) As Bob Dylan says in his song, " the times they are a changin' " for good or bad.

Originally Posted by falcon5619
For the street we have really got to the point where the performance limits of the Corvette, even in base form are so high that you can't fully utilize its performance. I think the C8 and lot of other sports cars needs to offer more than just performance moving forward. Styling, fit and finish, reliability, practicality, new tech, improved customer service, etc. need to be a big focus as well in order to get a lot of folks to pony up for the next gen. For me, I prefer a manual transmission and convertible so without those features I will be stuck buying a Camaro, Mustang or Miata if the C8 doesn't offer them.

I think it is very risky to deviate too far from the Corvette formula that has worked for so long. So far, the C8 looks like it will be cost effective Ferrari or Lambo.

Last edited by crawfish333; 09-18-2018 at 11:54 AM.
JerriVette (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I think the days of manual transmissions are numbered: not just in Corvettes but on all cars. I do believe that the shifting options on automatics will continue to evolve to somewhat compensate for the loss of the clutch shifters. Most people who drive their Corvette in an urban setting just do not want to fool with shifting and clutching. This is one reason why the automatics outsell the standards by such a large margins, even on the Z06. To illustrate my point, in 2017 there were 25556 automatics sold and only 7226 manuals. In the past the Z06 was not even offered in an automatic. For the same year the Z06 automatic outsold the manual by 5153 to 2120. (this is included in the total sales numbers above) As Bob Dylan says in his song, " the times they are a changin' " for good or bad.
awesome detail in manual transmission sales per year..

fwiw those numbers of manual transmission corvettes being discussed are huge..

no gm executive is going to Take a chance on losing 7226 manual transmission corvette buyers.

they just arent going to do that.

worst case scenerio...the c8 will launch with a simplified production offering and only the higher cost option of an automatic transmission will be delivered at first and standard no cost manual transmission c8 will have a delayed delivery schedule.

gm gets to announce a low msrp starting price for the c8 and gets the added profit of making the early round of corvettes delivered higher optioned vehicles...

they will give a prototype of both the manual and the dct equipped cars to media to rave how wonderful the dct is in comparision and the media will probably reminisce how great it is to have the choice of a dct and a manual at such an unbelievably fantastic price point...

should be a lot of fun.

we will all want one.. .

oh and the tops going down for us sun worshippers as well.

Slicker than ever in both motorized and targa lift off mode as well.

we are going to have to get one...(kidding but somewhat true)

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-18-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I did the same as JerryU; ordered the '14 with a deposit a year in advance and received the first one from the local dealer's fairly large allocation. Picked it up in early October of 2013.
It's been trouble free and even though I paid MSRP I saved the cost of the price increase that went into effect shortly after introduction.
Mine was delivered 1st week on October as well! As you noted, GM raised the cost of the Z51 package soon after and there were finally dealers with cars in stock "for folks who had to see it before buying" that were charging well over MSRP!

Funny, some also "had to drive it first!" That was difficult since early on GM was only delivering cars where there was a real purchaser-no dealer showroom cars! Recall my large dealer that specializes in Vettes, Hendrick in Cary, had mine in his showroom for the 1 1/2 days until I could drive up. When I walked in with my wife, there was a salesman showing "my car" to a potential customer. He had no idea who we were. When the potential customer asked to sit in the car, he politely said, "Sorry that is a customer car we can't allow anyone to sit in it!"

Frankly don't see how anyone expects to put a new car like a Vette through it paces to "see how it handles!" I rely on pro drivers in Car & Driver and Road & Track, etc. to provide a good summary! Heck, the GM engineers aren't going to release a Vette that doesn't handle great!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-18-2018 at 12:15 PM.
JerriVette (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by lavla
I hear the same arguments about the new generation Corvette every time a new generation is about to be introduced. When the new car finally rolls out, the prior gen car begins to look dated. It happens every time.
I'm going to take a "pause" until the second or third year of the C8 to make sure that the "bugs" are worked out and the Grand Sport/Z06 versions have a chance to be introduced. I wish that the manual trans would be available but progress rules. We always take comfort with what we have until we're tempted with something that's better. Let's hope that the temptation for the new Vette is warranted. I think that there's enough respect for the heritage of the car in the design team to give America a car they can be proud of.
I had VIN 1500 on a 2014. My order was in before I knew the details of the car including the price. I do not want to get caught again with the higher models being released a year after I buy the base model. So, what is your point? Should everyone buy the first year C8? How many first year of a generation have you bought in the first year?
Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

I haven't seen the C8 without camo yet obviously, but I'm not a fan of the shape, the rear just seems way too long vs the front. I know that's how most ME cars look for obvious reasons, but this one seems more excessive.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

as with a lot of things in life, it depends on the price.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I will not be making the switch.

Some people say the Vette is not a practical car but I find it to be plenty practical. Living in San Diego I can drive it year round, and nearly never have the targa panel on. My wife and I have no children so we don't need a backseat, the coupe has plenty of room to haul everything I need. I have a firm rule that I won't buy anything that won't accommodate 2 sets of golf clubs so that me and a buddy can take it to the course. No way the ME will have the cargo room of the C7 coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid engine supercar Vette

Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I haven't seen the C8 without camo yet obviously, but I'm not a fan of the shape, the rear just seems way too long vs the front. I know that's how most ME cars look for obvious reasons, but this one seems more excessive.

I’m sure I’ll change my thinking once it’s officially revealed, but right now just the shape doesn’t do it for me. My old eyes are used to the traditional long hood/short deck of Corvettes to date.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I will not be making the switch.

Some people say the Vette is not a practical car but I find it to be plenty practical. Living in San Diego I can drive it year round, and nearly never have the targa panel on. My wife and I have no children so we don't need a backseat, the coupe has plenty of room to haul everything I need. I have a firm rule that I won't buy anything that won't accommodate 2 sets of golf clubs so that me and a buddy can take it to the course. No way the ME will have the cargo room of the C7 coupe.
And that, ^^^ is why you're delusional.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:28 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
.....yeah, sure.....then there's this little problem of $$$ keyboardkenny.

Quick Reply: Mid engine supercar Vette