Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Slick6
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am assuming that all of you with brake dust problems have upgraded systems over the base brakes on a 1LT Stingray. I say this because other than a week or so of minor dust when I first got my car, I have not had any dusting problems with the factory pads on my '19 1LT. Go figure...
Old 09-23-2018, 01:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

^^^

Yep, the dust issue is with Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 OEM pads. All are designed to handle Tracking. Although aggressive tracking requires a race pad. The base C7, beit 1, 2 or 3LT has lower dust pads.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-23-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:26 AM
GSDUBBZo6
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Can anyone verify the parts model numbers for the front and rear? I went to Amazon and they say that they don’t fit my 2016 ZO6.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wrecker3
My C7 has never been driven in the rain and i do not wash my car with water !!!!
I know we are criticized by folks who like their Chinese PowerStop pads for saying negative thinks about them.

However, I bought them for my new Grand Sport 18 months ago when I first got it because there were many positive posts and they were very cheap. That was after having 3 years of great performance of the more expensive Carboteah 1521 pads on my early Z51. They were cheap, I paid $118 delivered less SC sales tax on Amazon. That was a good thing as after 900 miles and living with inferior cold pad stops to what I was used to for 3 years I tossed them and bought Carbotech 1521 pads. My PowerStop pads were not on that long and I did have a brown residue in the slots that required a Dremel tool and small wire brushes to remove.

The Carbotech pads stop great cold (meaning they are not at 250+ F often required of racing to pads) or hot! There is no brown on the rotors and as I experienced on my 2014 Z51 I how wash the wheels when I wash the car NOT every 100 to 200 miles or the dust from OEM pads not only looked bad it was pitting my black wheels!

Ours are Not the only posts that report these issues. From my research it looks like the brown rotors are probably caused by iron and could well be a QA problem with the pad raw materials, so all don’t have the issue. However, looking at the cold pad performance, from the PowerStop advertised max temps of 1500 F are more like racing pads that do require the pads to be over 200+ F to achieve good braking performance.

To each their own and I can just encourage folks to look thorough all posts re brake pads. I could show other knowledgeable folks posts who found similar issues but won’t bother.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-25-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06CV
Ended up going with PowerStops and very happy with them for street use. Almost no dust and good stopping power with no squeal. Got them from Amazon also
I've pics here on the CF that show PowerStops discoloring the rotors dark brown. Carbotech I read were more expensive but performed much better and did not discolor the rotors.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 PM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

These brake posts never end! Same people, same information, the search function is your friend.
I might as well add mine. I have put several thousand miles on my PowerStop Z26 pads and have no complaints. No discolored rotors and I doubt I would mind it if they were. Probably 95 percent less dust than stock. A little less initial bite but unless you have pencil thin leg muscles you probably won't notice. You will not lose any stopping ability!
I have nothing against Carbotech or any other brand and if you want to spend more feel free to do so. I am VERY happy with my PowerStops.

Last edited by taz2016; 09-26-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 PM
GSDUBBZo6
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by taz2016
These brake posts never end! Same people, same information, the search function is your friend.
I might as well add mine. I have put several thousand miles on my PowerStop Z26 pads and have no complaints. No discolored rotors and I doubt I would mind it if they were. Probably 95 percent less dust than stock. I little less initial bite but unless you have pencil thin leg muscles you probably won't notice. You will not lose any stopping ability!
I have nothing against Carbotech or any other brand and if you want to spend more fill free to do so. I am VERY happy with my PowerStops.
thank you. I feel like the few responses I’ve received have been very slanted towards Carbotech. I’ve ordered them off of Amazon. We’ll see where they go. I can always change if they don’t work.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by taz2016
I might as well add mine. I have put several thousand miles on my PowerStop Z26 pads and have no complaints. No discolored rotors and I doubt I would mind it if they were. Probably 95 percent less dust than stock. A little less initial bite but unless you have pencil thin leg muscles you probably won't notice. You will not lose any stopping ability!
I have nothing against Carbotech or any other brand and if you want to spend more feel free to do so. I am VERY happy with my PowerStops.
I post because of my experiance as I was sucked into buying the Chinese pads because they were so cheap, then tossed them after 900 miles. Has nothing to do with my leg strength! In fact I have the equivalnet of a 700 pound leg press machine in my Gym (and use it every week but not all 700 lbs!) Granted I have a somewhat unique requirement as at the end of my street I merge into 65+ mph traffic and then shortly after make a turn onto another narrow rural road. What's needed is very accurate control of braking from 65 mph to make that turn, especially when there is a car on that rural road waiting to merge onto the highway! Don't want the traffic to have to apply thier brakes as I slow, especially those log trucks - so I use them agressively to slow very quickly!

Glad for those that have the Chinese pads and are happy with performance. But for those making the decision on pad choice it's a $60,000+ car and it's only your brakes! Your car your choice.

BELOW ARE SOME OTHER POSTS I SAVED.
@village idiot
CF Senior Member (Knowledgeable avid Tracker)
I put the Power Stop Z26 pads in and I seriously regret it. Braking power and bite sucks compared to OEM. It was actually kind of dangerous- not because the braking system is inadequate but because I wasn't used to it. It was a big enough change from street to race pads for the track but this is going to make it far more pronounced. Not sure I'd do it again if I had the chance.

Z06NJ
CF Senior Member
Initially you will feel that you have to step harder to make them brake the same as OEM. That's because all you know up to that time are the OEM brakes. However, with time, it becomes like muscle memory. Now I just brake like normal and don't even think about it.
But I'll never forget the 1st day I got them installed and I was driving home, I was like "WTF's going on here...I'm gonna end up rear ending somebody" LOL But you get used to them.

fugly CF Senior member
PowerStop Z26 Stopping Power is Not as good as the OEM brake pads (Z51). After 20k+ miles on the OEMs, I was tired of the brake dust. Put on the Z26s a few weeks ago. I was playing racer boy to make a left turn light and then braked hard. Noticeable difference. A little unnerving, actually. But I'm sure I will adjust to the extra braking that is necessary.
I hope, though, that in emergency braking situations, when ABS kicks in, the difference in pads won't matter...? I'd hate to think that I am increasing my (and others') risk in order to cut down on brake dust. I realize now how good those OEM pads are (for the street, anyway.)

tome
CF Senior Member
I have had both (Carbotech and PowerStop Z26 pads) on two different C7's and I certainly feel the Z26 aren't even close to Carbotech and OEM on initial bite. Plus the Z26 do require a more aggressive pedal.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-26-2018 at 06:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (09-28-2018), MMD (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm the odd one out.I don't mind the brake dust so much....stopping power is my concern.

The OE Brembo (Z51) pads are great and since I wash the car every week,wheel cleaning is no big deal.

When my pads wear out,I'll probably still go OE.

\db2
The following users liked this post:
Marine1965 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JerryU
I post because of my experiance as I was sucked into buying the Chinese pads because they were so cheap, then tossed them after 900 miles. Has nothing to do with my leg strength! In fact I have the equivalnet of a 700 pound leg press machine in my Gym (and use it every week but not all 700 lbs!) Granted I have a somewhat unique requirement as at the end of my street I merge into 65+ mph traffic and then shortly after make a turn onto another narrow rural road. What's needed is very accurate control of braking from 65 mph to make that turn, especially when there is a car on that rural road waiting to merge onto the highway! Don't want the traffic to have to apply thier brakes as I slow, especially those log trucks - so I use them agressively to slow very quickly!

Glad for those that have the Chinese pads and are happy with performance. But for those making the decision on pad choice it's a $60,000+ car and it's only your brakes! Your car your choice.

BELOW ARE SOME OTHER POSTS I SAVED.
@village idiot CF Senior Member (Knowledgeable avid Tracker)
I put the Power Stop Z26 pads in and I seriously regret it. Braking power and bite sucks compared to OEM. It was actually kind of dangerous- not because the braking system is inadequate but because I wasn't used to it. It was a big enough change from street to race pads for the track but this is going to make it far more pronounced. Not sure I'd do it again if I had the chance.

Z06NJ CF Senior Member
Initially you will feel that you have to step harder to make them brake the same as OEM. That's because all you know up to that time are the OEM brakes. However, with time, it becomes like muscle memory. Now I just brake like normal and don't even think about it.
But I'll never forget the 1st day I got them installed and I was driving home, I was like "WTF's going on here...I'm gonna end up rear ending somebody" LOL But you get used to them.

fugly CF Senior member
PowerStop Z26 Stopping Power is Not as good as the OEM brake pads (Z51). After 20k+ miles on the OEMs, I was tired of the brake dust. Put on the Z26s a few weeks ago. I was playing racer boy to make a left turn light and then braked hard. Noticeable difference. A little unnerving, actually. But I'm sure I will adjust to the extra braking that is necessary.
I hope, though, that in emergency braking situations, when ABS kicks in, the difference in pads won't matter...? I'd hate to think that I am increasing my (and others') risk in order to cut down on brake dust. I realize now how good those OEM pads are (for the street, anyway.)

tome CF Senior Member
I have had both (Carbotech and PowerStop Z26 pads) on two different C7's and I certainly feel the Z26 aren't even close to Carbotech and OEM on initial bite. Plus the Z26 do require a more aggressive pedal.
This is great info Jerry. This is good info to know. I have had Brembos for years and I have gotten tired of cleaning the mess they make. It's just too much effort to keep the wheels clean. I have no problems with paying extra for good stopping power in addition to keeping the wheels and car clearner. As I detail cars as a hobby, I have come to realize that brake dust works its way into the paint and requires periodic chemical decontamination of the paint to restore the luster of the car's paint. This info has helped me make my decision regarding future brake pad purchases. Thx.
JerryU (10-03-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks
I lived with brake dust on my early 2014 Z51 for about 6 months but as I live 17 miles from town and many roads between farm fields with no traffic so I can drive fast and stop even faster at turns!

Two round trips and if I did not clean the heavy brake dust it was pitting my black wheels!

I switched to Carbotech 1521 pads and only cleaned the wheels when I washed the car, which is NOT every week. What little dust is their does not pit the wheels

But got used to great pedal modulation and super stopping control with cold pads. Put PowerStop pads on the Grand Sport when I got it home and stopping on the 4 lane highway I merge into at the end of the street I live on then making a turn on another rural road was not the same as I had been used to for 3 years. Especially noticeable when another car was waiting to merge on the highway from that narrow road. Little room to slip in when braking from 65 mph.

Bedded per instructions and after giving them 900 miles tossed them and put on what I knew worked, Carbotech 1521 pads.

Been great for 18 months, stops even better than the Z51 as the front brakes are much larger with 6 versus 4 pistons per side and wider tires

Last edited by JerryU; 09-26-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (09-28-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Marine1965
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the Power Stops and could not be happier....I basically have no brake dust on my rims at all. After driving over 200 miles with these new pads..I took a clean rag to my rims and had pretty much zero dust on my rims...Stops great...Thanks for all the input..Reccomend Power Stops to everyone...my only choice from now on....
Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Power Stops are great. Almost no dust, no noticeable difference in street driving stopping power, and no browning of the rotors. You're literally throwing your money away if you buy similar pads for four times the price. There are literally only 2-3 people that seem to have hate boners for power stops and I have to question their reasoning because 99% of the people who post about power stops have zero issues and love them, me included.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:47 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
. There are literally only 2-3 people that seem to have hate boners for power stops and I have to question their reasoning because 99% of the people who post about power stops have zero issues and love them, me included.
Hmm, count just this Thread and there are 6! My motive is simple! I am trying to keep my ~60 year driving record of not having an accident with another car. Many close calls when brakes saved me! I do drive agressivly.

After 3 years of having Carbotech 1521 pads on my early 2014 Z51 and stopping great with cold pads I bought PowerStop Chinese pads for my 2017 Grand Sport because they were very cheap and some Forum folks said they were fine! I didn’t want to toss them at 900 miles but no way were they stopping as well with cold pads as the OEM pads or the Carbotech pads on my Z51.

As as soon as I put on the more expensive Carbotech 1521 Pads on my Grand Sport it stopped great, as my previous experiance said they would. I do have a somewhat unique need as at the end of my street I merge into 65+ mph traffic and turn onto another rural road shortly after. If there was a car waiting to enter the highway I had little room to turn in quickly by agressivly using those cold brakes so the cars behind did not have to apply their brakes to avoid hitting me!

It was a similar feeling to one of the 4 other posts I listed like what “Z06NJ” said, “WTF going on…!” Also ”Villageidot” is an avid tracker and knowledgable. Look at what he said.

Do as you wish but I tossed $118 +SC sales tax PowerStop pads after 900 miles for a good reason. Fortunately they were so cheap I didn’t waste much!

To each their own. I only relay my experiance for those making a decision can understand the issues.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-03-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:55 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Gee. Why can't 2 Corvette owners just go out to the track and do a 60 MPH braking test using two similar Corvetes, 1 equipped with Carbotech brakes and 1 with Powerstops. Wouldn't this settle once and for all this issue?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU

Hmm, count just this Thread and there are 6! My motive is simple! I am trying to keep my ~60 year driving record of not having an accident with another car. Many close calls when brakes saved me! I do drive agressivly.

After 3 years of having Carbotech 1521 pads on my early 2014 Z51 and stopping great with cold pads I bought PowerStop Chinese pads for my 2017 Grand Sport because they were very cheap and some Forum folks said they were fine! I didn’t want to toss them at 900 miles but no way were they stopping as well with cold pads as the OEM pads or the Carbotech pads on my Z51.

As as soon as I put on the more expensive Carbotech 1521 Pads on my Grand Sport it stopped great, as my previous experiance said they would. I do have a somewhat unique need as at the end of my street I merge into 65+ mph traffic and turn onto another rural road shortly after. If there was a car waiting to enter the highway I had little room to turn in quickly by agressivly using those cold brakes so the cars behind did not have to apply their brakes to avoid hitting me!

It was a similar feeling to one of the 4 other posts I listed like what “Z06NJ” said, “WTF going on…!” Also ”Villageidot” is an avid tracker and knowledgable. Look at what he said.

Do as you wish but I tossed $118 +SC sales tax PowerStop pads after 900 miles for a good reason. Fortunately they were so cheap I didn’t waste much!

To each their own. I only relay my experiance for those making a decision can understand the issues.

Not sure what thread you're in, but in this one, I only see you and wrecker complaining about the power stops with MMD saying he read bad things about power stops. Who are the other 3 exactly?

And I see 10 posts, including mine, saying power stops are great and have no issues with them. Ten to two, just in this thread, and it looks like most of us bought our pads this year, when did you two have power stops?

Also, it's odd how you always write a small novel every time you post about these brake pads, and how you always like to say the power stops are chinese, lol - interesting...

Just putting this out here so my fellow vette drivers don't spend four times as much on brake pads for the same performance and more dust...
Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD

I've pics here on the CF that show PowerStops discoloring the rotors dark brown. Carbotech I read were more expensive but performed much better and did not discolor the rotors.
I've seen pictures of bigfoot and aliens on the internet too. I've got them on my car, all summer. No browning. At all.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 AM
MMD
Safety Car

I've seen pictures of bigfoot and aliens on the internet too. I've got them on my car, all summer. No browning. At all.
If you’re gonna be a smart ***, first you have to be smart. Otherwise you’re just an ***.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure what thread you're in, but in this one, I only see you and wrecker complaining about the power stops with MMD saying he read bad things about power stops. Who are the other 3 exactly?

And I see 10 posts, including mine, saying power stops are great and have no issues with them. Ten to two, just in this thread, and it looks like most of us bought our pads this year, when did you two have power stops?
In addition to Wrecker and mine, post #28 lists 4 other posts saying about the same re cold pad performance.

Don’t expect you or some other posters to read my PDF that is pretty technical but shows why a pad that has a max temp of 1500 F (PowerStop published data) needs to be 200F or higher to stop well. It’s many pages, more than a novel!

However I write those (have some 40) for the silent majority who don’t post, so they can make an educated decision. I get many PMs saying thanks. It’s a ~$65,000 car so if spending a half percent for a quality pads like Carbotech or Hawk is too much- don’t!

PS: Just realized I didn’t post the link to my ~19 page info re brake pads. It is mostly pics of my installs in a Z51 and Grand Sport and is below. The several page appendix has lots of tech info. As I said it’s not for the vocal minority (that includes me in the ~20 who have posted on this Thread) but see there are ~1300 who have visited this Thread. If someone is considering what pads to buy, good reading than make whatever decision. I have no interest in any brake pad company- I bought the PowerStops then tossed them after 900 miles and bought Carbotech 1521s. Not something I wanted to do! The PDF includes my experiance and the tech reasons for the results from what I have researched.
http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 10-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
MMD (10-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Brake pads