Check your oil after taking it to a dealer for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:42 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts
Default Check your oil after taking it to a dealer for an oil change

Took my 17 GS in for its second free oil change a couple weeks ago. Asked for 0W-40. Service writer said yes after checking and wrote it down on the the paperwork. Got the car an hour later and the work order states they put in 5W-30. After some discussion, they put it back up on the rack to put in 0W-40.
Drove the car for about 2 weeks, noticed the gas mileage was down from my normal 17-18 to 15-16. Pulled the air filter to clean it and the intake tubing. Set the intake tubing on a piece of cardboard while cleaning the air filter with compressed air. Intake tube was soaked with oil. Here's the cardboard:

Old 08-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

here we go again....waiting for the first person to say change your own oil...
Old 08-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Insufficient data. So did you check the oil level when you saw the intake tube had oil in it? Without knowing that we don't really know whether it was a screw up by somebody at the dealership or something else that might be wrong with your car. Oil in that tube isn't necessarily evidence of an improper oil fill. Maybe the intake tube was like that before the oil change?

By the way, I would never clean a paper oil filter with an air hose. If it is dirty change it. If it isn't dirty don't clean it as you will damage it and need to change it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-25-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:48 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Deepdiver

you have 3 choices.....DIY......find someone who owns a private shop that works on Corvettes and is competent......go to dealer and probably be pissed off

I personally opt for choice #1 or 2, choice #2 being when I go for something else.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:11 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I'm lucky and have only one more free oil change to go, so that means only one more fear-laden trip to the dealer for this task. Since I don't like passing on a service I've already paid for in the price of the car, I'll grit my teeth and hope I slip by once again without issue, so far enduring two for this car. My last wet sump car was easy to check. Just pop the hood and check the level and evidence of any leaks before leaving the premises. With my current wet sump GS how do I check if OT isn't at the spec (175°)? My first at 500 miles on the road back from MacMulkin the tech brought it up to temp and showed me the dipstick. For my second at a local dealer I did the 9-quart fill plus one extra for me to top-off later, and I didn't check it since it wasn't up to temp. On that last change I watched oil pressure on my 35-mile trip back home, then checked the level upon arrival. For my last change coming up in Feb. I'll be going to a another dealer 35 miles away that sells many C7s and have been reliable in the past. I could drive it 'til OT gets to spec, then pull off the road, wait 7 min., and check it just for the peace of mind. Or, let it idle at the dealership 'til it gets warm. I'll probably do the latter.

Last edited by iclick; 08-25-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

" here we go again....waiting for the first person to say change your own oil... "

Well, like it or not it's the only way to assure this kind of dealer BS doesn't happen to ya. Sorry about that!
The following 2 users liked this post by Avanti:
jimmie jam (08-25-2018), JimNeedsC7 (09-21-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:50 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Insufficient data. So did you check the oil level when you saw the intake tube had oil in it? Without knowing that we don't really know whether it was a screw up by somebody at the dealership or something else that might be wrong with your car. Oil in that tube isn't necessarily evidence of an improper oil fill. Maybe the intake tube was like that before the oil change?

By the way, I would never clean a paper oil filter with an air hose. If it is dirty change it. If it isn't dirty don't clean it as you will damage it and need to change it.

Bill
It was about 3/8” above the top fill line.
I cleaned the filter per the manufacturer's recommendations (BMS)

Last edited by fatsport; 08-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:11 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

Crap last oil change they overfilled by a liter. So better to clean it my self or bring it back tonyhem for them to document it and clean? The air cleaner is on the passenger side front isnt it. EhWh else to fo to clean it ckean the maf also?
Old 08-25-2018, 04:11 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I am still glad I have a wet sump car - no need to worry with the extra hassle of owning a Z51 Stingray, GS or Z06 car. (Just messing with those of you who do. I have no need for the dry-sump system.)

It's probably a good idea to deal with techs who are experienced with Corvettes - even at a franchised Chevy dealer.
The following users liked this post:
jimmbbo (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

what a frigging production just to check the aircleaner. Do you remember the days when you just spun the wing nut. So the oil is getting into the intake via the breather tube is that correct?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Thats why I change my own oil !!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:16 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Insist on 9 qts. only.

Drive it home, and check it. Adjust as necessary.

Four-year-mantra.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
DALE#3 (09-22-2018), JerryU (09-21-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

At my 500 oil change my dealer under-filled it - about half a quart low. At my free 2nd change I told the dealer I wanted to measure it before taking the car. They filled it properly that time. I'll do the same for the 3rd free change
Old 08-25-2018, 11:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
At my 500 oil change my dealer under-filled it - about half a quart low. At my free 2nd change I told the dealer I wanted to measure it before taking the car. They filled it properly that time. I'll do the same for the 3rd free change
How does this work in the real world?

Did they take it and drive it up to operating temps ~173 oil deg? Come back, wait 5-10 minutes and check?
Old 08-25-2018, 11:42 PM
owc6
Team Owner

And FWIW, the level can vary more than a half-quart just between the 5 and 10 minute mark.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
Took my 17 GS in for its second free oil change a couple weeks ago. ....Pulled the air filter to clean it and the intake tubing. Set the intake tubing on a piece of cardboard while cleaning the air filter with compressed air. Intake tube was soaked with oil. Here's the cardboard:
TERRIBLE
Originally Posted by iclick
I'm lucky and have only one more free oil change to go, so that means only one more fear-laden trip to the dealer for this task. Just pop the hood and check the level and evidence of any leaks before leaving the premises. ....For my second at a local dealer I did the 9-quart fill plus one extra for me to top-off later,
WHEN REALY OLD (only 75) AND IT’S TIME TO LET A DEALER CHANGE WOULD ONLY USE THE FILL WITH 9 APPROACH!

Originally Posted by dashotgun
Crap last oil change they overfilled by a liter. So better to clean it my self or bring it back to them for them to document it and clean?

BRING IT BACK TO CLEAN AND INSIST ON A NEW MAF!
Yep, no one has changed the oil in all 5 Vettes I have owned, including my 2014 C7 Z51 and now my Grand Sport but me! With the $24 Mobil rebate have paid <$25 for two 5 quart jugs of dexos Certifed Mobil 1! It’s also quicker for me to jack up the car and do it myself.

The satisfaction and reduced stress knowing there is nothing screwed up i.e. from lifting improperly, to spilling on the back of the dry sump tank when filling, knowing Mobil 1 was used (versus some Oh-So-Peachy dexos Certifed oil as GM lists over 200 some blends, the dealer bought from the low cost supplier) to overfilling- IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

When I get old (I’m only 75 years young) I might consider having a competent dealer tech change the oil BUT would use the fill with 9 quarts and give the 10th approach.

For those where the dealer overfilled and any oil was found in the intake air tube or filter I would insist on a replacement MAF sensor. It’s funny, I have used oiled cotton air filters for years and in my Vettes and even my modified S-10 truck when between Vettes. Never had an issue with the MAF and know how to clean and reoil correctly, should never feel oil. However some folks say that risks contaminating the MAF but I don’t see posts saying the dealer overfilled and oil dripped from the airfilter and I insisted on a new MAF! I would as it could screw up the air/fuel ratio, which may take time or shorten its life.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-26-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
It seems like I see on the car and truck forums a lot where customers are allowed on the shop floor to watch the mechanic do their work. I am wondering how you do that. I have yet to be at any dealer, GM or other, that will let me go on the shop floor as a customer. Every time I have ever asked to see something they tell me about, they tell me it is against their insurance policy to let customers on the shop floor. Now, I ask to show me a picture of whatever it is they are claiming to have noticed since they won't let me in the garage or under the lift to see for myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Check your oil after taking it to a dealer for an oil change

Old 08-26-2018, 11:24 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
Change your own oil, there I said it.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:44 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Insist on 9 qts. only.

Drive it home, and check it. Adjust as necessary.

Four-year-mantra.
Agree with you 100%. When my son stored his Z06 with me it was real simple when I took it in for the oil change. I told the service writer to only put 9 quarts in the car and provide me the extra qt, and if they can't give me the extra qt to put only 9 in anyway. (they gave me the extra qt.) He and I went back to the tech and handed him the 9 qts and told him to put only these 9 qts. in the car after draining. Mission accomplished.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:08 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Okay pulled the air cleaner. What an annoyance. Anyway there was no oil in there. The screen in front of the maf was pulled away from the retaing bolt so iwill ask to have the housing replaced under warranty. Amaving a liter overfilled no oil in the intake lucky

Quick Reply: Check your oil after taking it to a dealer for an oil change