C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No C8 for me - Can't warm up to mid-engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I'd love a mid-engined supercar; but they have always been waaaaay out of my affordability range.

Fieros, Fiat X 1/9, are not supercars; it's a stretch even calling them a sports car.
Wife had a Fiero V6 for years. It was a good little car and handled well. And the power to weight was nice too!
The following users liked this post:
Drive-C7 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Avanti
I've no problem with mid-engined, but I wait to buy until the fifth year of any "new" model giving GM time to work out a few of the bugs... with the ME I suspect there are going to be a LOT of bugs!
Yep!...me too! I will sit on the sidelines and let the early adopters work out the bugs....
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Went from a 2008 A6 to a 2016 Z A8 and if anything it is easier to handle because the power is more smooth as opposed to the delay and blast off of the C6.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I am a convertible guy and don't think the C8 will look that good in a convertible. Not in the market for another Corvette until next year. Once I see the real C8, the price, colors, horsepower, then I will decide. If GM puts big rebates on C7's I will either buy a Grand Sport or a ZO6 convertible for my next Corvette.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

The haters on this car makes me want it even more.
The following 3 users liked this post by spireland:
4thC4at60 (09-20-2018), Drive-C7 (09-21-2018), ladder13 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:56 PM
EdMu
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To me it looks remarkably like the Acura NSX.
The following 2 users liked this post by EdMu:
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018), oldC5 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:12 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
The haters on this car makes me want it even more.
I would not say I hate mid-engine cars as I have driven a Porsche 911 and ridden in a Ferrari. They were fast and their owners loved them. It's just not my thing if it's my personal vehicle. I am confident GM will make a good looking car but I want my engine in the front. Those that disagree with me I respect your opinion and your preference. For some reason the only car I felt differently about was the VW bug I bought when I got married and we had little money.

Last edited by Drive-C7; 09-21-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive-C7

I would not say I hate mid-engine cars as I have driven a Porsche 911 and ridden in a Ferrari. They were fast and their owners loved them. It's just not my thing if it's my personal vehicle. I am confident GM will make a good looking car but I want my engine in the front. Those that disagree with me I respect your opinion and your preference. For some reason the only car I felt differently about was the VW bug I bought when I got married and we has little money.
A 911 isn't a mid engine, it's a rear engine. VW bugs are rear engine as well.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thunder22
A 911 isn't a mid engine, it's a rear engine. VW bugs are rear engine as well.
good point - you are correct. I guess what I am saying is mid-engine or rear engine it's still behind the driver and it's not my thing. I have read all about the advantages of mid-engine and thought about this a lot. I also do my own maintenance which is a minor consideration as access to the motor might br tight. That's not a deal breaker as much as engine location. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:52 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

good point - you are correct. I guess what I am saying is mid-engine or rear engine it's still behind the driver and it's not my thing. I have read all about the advantages of mid-engine and thought about this a lot. I also do my own maintenance which is a minor consideration as access to the motor might br tight. That's not a deal breaker as much as engine location. Thanks for the feedback.
I'm a FE/RW guy myself. I've never owned an FW car, I don't like the feeling of being pulled. I'm sure that the C8 is going to be really good car, I'm just not sure that it's for me. I'm also having trouble associating the Corvette name with an ME, Corvette to me is FE RW. ... I guess I'll see when the car actually comes out.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

My question is I have heard some folks say that had a regular C7 and went with a Z06 were not happy. The Z06 is such a hand full that it takes very carefull driving not to lose control. Having looked at this forum for years there was at least a couple of people who sold there Z06 and went back to a Z51 which offered better "drive ability" in every day driving.
I have never driven a Z06, but this post confirms what I have been speculating about after driving my 2017 Z51 for two years. The car is so off the hook fast that I find myself wondering how I would ever unwind a Z06 on the same roads; I'm not sure I could do it, or that I'd be so restricted in how hard I get on the car it might make it less fun to drive. One of the fun things about a sports car is wringing out, i.e. driving it as hard as you can on a given stretch of road. I can do that here and there with my Z51, but barely, the car is almost too fast for public roads. I just fear that ratcheting that up to the Z06 level WOULD make the car too fast. If that's even possible, but I think it is, because there are times I feel that way about my current Corvette.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by patentcad
I have never driven a Z06, but this post confirms what I have been speculating about after driving my 2017 Z51 for two years. The car is so off the hook fast that I find myself wondering how I would ever unwind a Z06 on the same roads; I'm not sure I could do it, or that I'd be so restricted in how hard I get on the car it might make it less fun to drive. One of the fun things about a sports car is wringing out, i.e. driving it as hard as you can on a given stretch of road. I can do that here and there with my Z51, but barely, the car is almost too fast for public roads. I just fear that ratcheting that up to the Z06 level WOULD make the car too fast. If that's even possible, but I think it is, because there are times I feel that way about my current Corvette.
you are exactly where I am. I love my car but would I love a Z06 more? Either I keep this car or get Z06. Whichever it is this is probably the last Corvette for me. I have other priorities at this time planned for my funds in the next 10 years or so. I am going to test drive a used Z06 at a dealership to decide. If I like it I'll buy a new one since I can get employee discount. I have someone locally wanting to buy my car since it's like new. You are bringing up thoughts that I have as well. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Same here. If you like to wind out the gears it is very difficult to do it in any Corvette on public roads. The best cars for being able to wind out gears and not risk jail time are the Miata and Subaru/Toyota twins. If you look at the gearing of the M7 in the Z06 you will see first gear is good for over 60mph. So, if you wind out first you are pretty much done on public roads unless you are on a highway on ramp. 2nd gear will take you over 90mpg. All of this has to happen in controlled bursts. It is a constant exercise of restraint even in a base Corvette. The Z51 and Grand Sports have the shortest 1st - 3rd gearing available, which will increase torque and let you wind out the gears a little bit more on public roads.

That said, I love power just as much as the next guy but if I am being realistic with where I drive then my money is better spent on the Grand Sport and use the savings to add more options that I will enjoy such as the convertible top, etc. Dont forget lower insurance premiums and better gas mileage as well.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't even dare to buy a mid-engine car from GM with their track record of mid-engine cars.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by falcon5619

Same here. If you like to wind out the gears it is very difficult to do it in any Corvette on public roads. The best cars for being able to wind out gears and not risk jail time are the Miata and Subaru/Toyota twins. If you look at the gearing of the M7 in the Z06 you will see first gear is good for over 60mph. So, if you wind out first you are pretty much done on public roads unless you are on a highway on ramp. 2nd gear will take you over 90mpg. All of this has to happen in controlled bursts. It is a constant exercise of restraint even in a base Corvette. The Z51 and Grand Sports have the shortest 1st - 3rd gearing available, which will increase torque and let you wind out the gears a little bit more on public roads.

That said, I love power just as much as the next guy but if I am being realistic with where I drive then my money is better spent on the Grand Sport and use the savings to add more options that I will enjoy such as the convertible top, etc. Dont forget lower insurance premiums and better gas mileage as well.
Thank you. I am old enough to have bought many fast cars. My father was an executive for GM and brought home to test drive many cars including very fast ones. I can now buy cars through the Legacy Program even though he passed away long ago. My point is I never considered a car might be too fast for day to day driving. Never entered my mind. You bring up valid points. Right now I might be leaning towards just keeping what I have. I live in the country with plenty of roads to unwind. At the same time is the extra cost worth it? I started this thread and all you guys gave me information I was looking for. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:46 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I personally like M/E cars.Handling is generally better.

Many times ( not always) the first year of any model tends to be the mostproblematic and the last year of any model is usually the best.

I'm happy with the C7 for a couple more yrs.

\db2

Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm eagerly awaiting the C8's arrival and more importantly, eagerly awaiting the announced pricing!
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To No C8 for me - Can't warm up to mid-engine

Old 09-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Vette
I'm eagerly awaiting the C8's arrival and more importantly, eagerly awaiting the announced pricing!
is the ME going to be the C8.... or the Zora Z1 ???

Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
I personally like M/E cars.Handling is generally better.

Many times ( not always) the first year of any model tends to be the mostproblematic and the last year of any model is usually the best.

I'm happy with the C7 for a couple more yrs.

\db2
Yeah, I think since this is such a major design change GM will need more time than usual to work out the bugs. I am all for moving the technology forward but this is a completely different car. If they can strike the balance of being a super car that is still somewhat practical and cost effective to maintain like previous gen Corvettes then great but if this C8 winds up costing arm and a leg to maintain like all the other exotic mid engine cars then forget it. I will just go buy a Camaro with a M6 and just figure out how to see out of it. :-)
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you don't want the new car, don't buy it. I wouldn't buy the first year of this radical a switchover myself, I'd wait a couple years. It is still Chevrolet.
Drive-C7 (09-21-2018)

Quick Reply: No C8 for me - Can't warm up to mid-engine