Convertible key fob work with a coupe? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible key fob work with a coupe?

Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 AM
  #1  
AceG
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2015
Posts: 502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 102 Times in 82 Posts
Default Convertible key fob work with a coupe?

Lost my keys ordered a new transmitter. Trying to reprogram with 0 luck. Notice its a convertible key. I have a coupe. Is the transmitter compatiable?
AceG is online now  
Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM
  #2  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 9,899
Thanked 869 Times in 502 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Send it back and get the correct part number.

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM
  #3  
Ernest06
CF Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Posts: 76
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a convertible. Are you willing to sell it? 606-510-0892.
Ernest06 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 AM
  #4  
AceG
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2015
Posts: 502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 102 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ernest06 View Post
I have a convertible. Are you willing to sell it? 606-510-0892.
sent you a text
AceG is online now  
Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 AM
  #5  
Ernest06
CF Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Posts: 76
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ernest06 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM
  #6  
PJay
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Posts: 86
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Keep in mind that there are 4 different fobs available, not just 2 (coupe AT, coupe MT, convertible AT, convertible MT).
PJay is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 04:25 PM
  #7  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 9,899
Thanked 869 Times in 502 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by PJay View Post
Keep in mind that there are 4 different fobs available, not just 2 (coupe AT, coupe MT, convertible AT, convertible MT).
Yup!
...and 4 different part numbers that you must get correct to get the correct FOB.

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 PM
  #8  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,233
Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,491 Posts
Default

I asked this same question a couple weeks ago and had zero bites.

So if you buy an auto Vert fob, it can't be programmed to work on any other C7. It can't be programmed to, say a manual Coupe, and the unused buttons can be ignored?

owc6 is offline  
Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM
  #9  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 9,899
Thanked 869 Times in 502 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Lisa,

It is quite a challenge to answer the questions in here and I figure that I'd draw a line. If the person doesn't have the correct part number in hand, I flat give up trying to help them program it. If they have the correct part, then the instructions can be worked and might help.

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to eboggs_jkvl For This Useful Post:
owc6 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:50 AM
  #10  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,233
Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,491 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Lisa,

It is quite a challenge to answer the questions in here and I figure that I'd draw a line. If the person doesn't have the correct part number in hand, I flat give up trying to help them program it. If they have the correct part, then the instructions can be worked and might help.

Elmer
I guess this was more a theoretical question as to what may/could be done with a fob. (silly me).

Not so much what has been done, but what may be done. Oh,well. I think I am arguably one of the other most knowledgeable posters on how it works in the real world.

thanks.
owc6 is offline  
Old 09-22-2018, 01:12 AM
  #11  
bdutchik
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego ca
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I guess this was more a theoretical question as to what may/could be done with a fob. (silly me).

Not so much what has been done, but what may be done. Oh,well. I think I am arguably one of the other most knowledgeable posters on how it works in the real world.

thanks.
A coupe fob with remote start can be programed for a M7 Vert with the remote start button being non-functional. Will not lower Vert top using remote, but will open and start the car. I have an extra auto coupe fob and willing to trade for a manual vert fob. The dealer I bought the car (used) from provided the wrong fobs and refused to provide the correct ones. I bought one correct fob and kept the other for a spare. PM if interested in trade.
bdutchik is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to bdutchik For This Useful Post:
owc6 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 AM
  #12  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 9,899
Thanked 869 Times in 502 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I guess this was more a theoretical question as to what may/could be done with a fob. (silly me).

Not so much what has been done, but what may be done. Oh,well. I think I am arguably one of the other most knowledgeable posters on how it works in the real world.

thanks.
I agree, you are a good source of information on our FOBs. I simply want to have a good starting point for us to help. My job at AT&T was a course developer for CBT and Stand-Up training. The courses I developed had a "entry" level or "t-Pop" (Target Population) for all material. The students needed Electronics 101 before they came to my Electronics 102 class. There were rules at the beginning and I figured we can have that kind of rule on the FOB stuff.

Question 1: Do you have the correct part number on your FOB. Yes, we can help. No, get it and get back to us!

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 AM
  #13  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,233
Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,491 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bdutchik View Post
A coupe fob with remote start can be programed for a M7 Vert with the remote start button being non-functional. Will not lower Vert top using remote, but will open and start the car. I have an extra auto coupe fob and willing to trade for a manual vert fob. The dealer I bought the car (used) from provided the wrong fobs and refused to provide the correct ones. I bought one correct fob and kept the other for a spare. PM if interested in trade.
Thanks for that info. That's exactly as I suspected.

Hopefully someone will want to trade (not me, because I have an auto Vert, so I need all buttons present and usable). Good luck!
owc6 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: