C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is not having NPP exhaust enough to pass on this deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:15 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

If the car meets all your other requirements I would not pass on it just because of lack of NPP. I would just go with an aftermarket exhaust. The aftermarket leverages their muffler design vs. closing valves to eliminate drone. I added a Billy Boat PRT axle back exhaust to my base Stingray and it sounds great. It is louder than the NPP when you get on it but has zero drone when cruising. No fuses, no valves, no settings, etc. Just get in and drive, press the gas hear it roar, cruise and it is quiet as NPP with valves closed.

You may actually prefer to select your own exhaust. The exhaust tone is slightly different from all the manufactures. The NPP tends to sound raspy, Billy Boat and Borla sound more old school muscle car with a deeper note and Corsa tends to sound more exotic at the high rpm range. If you do some searching you will see a lot of enthusiasts replace their NPP for something louder and with a different tone that they prefer. I wouldn't let lack of NPP be the deal breaker if you love the car otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:32 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Although there are many NPP equipped cars, there are also a good number of people (myself included), who have pulled the appropriate fuse to lock the valves open....
Old 09-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

'17 GS here. . Honestly, the exhaust is one area I'm a bit disappointed with on the C7. It's way too tame. I drive it in the loudest setting all the time and beyond start up and maybe Wot, it's so quiet, you can't even hear it. I never even mess with the settings because I can't imagine wanting to "quiet it down". It's already quiet!

So, on its' way now is a Borla x pipe and Magnaflow competition exhaust! Bye bye quiet V8!

If that's your only hang up... I say try to drive cars with and without npp and see what you think. And as to your "great deal" .. It's not bad, but I nearly bought a 2015, Z51 3lt with pdr, npp, z06 grill and spoiler ​​​​​​etc for $45 with 12k miles via private party. It may still be for sale if you're interested. He was located in Nevada. Only selling cause he wanted to upgrade to a Z.
​​​​​

Last edited by Sconn; 09-22-2018 at 10:46 AM.
911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:56 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sconn
'17 GS here. . Honestly, the exhaust is one area I'm a bit disappointed with on the C7. It's way too tame. I drive it in the loudest setting all the time and beyond start up and maybe Wot, it's so quiet, you can't even hear it. I never even mess with the settings because I can't imagine wanting to "quiet it down". It's already quiet!

So, on its' way now is a Borla x pipe and Magnaflow competition exhaust! Bye bye quiet V8!

If that's your only hang up... I say try to drive cars with and without npp and see what you think. And as to your "great deal" .. It's not bad, but I nearly bought a 2015, Z51 3lt with pdr, npp, z06 grill and spoiler ​​​​​​etc for $45 with 12k miles via private party. It may still be for sale if you're interested. He was located in Nevada. Only selling cause he wanted to upgrade to a Z.
​​​​​
So, even when the NPP exhaust set to Track mode the exhaust valves still close at lower rpm, like ~2000 rpm and below. With the A8, it is always trying to be efficient so it is always running at low rpm (NPP valves closed and AFM valves closed if in V4 mode) unless you are on it or in manual mode holding a gear and paddle shifting. With the M7, you can wind out the gears and hold them longer, which allows you to let the exhaust sing. If you want a bit more exhaust volume at low rpm you need to pull the NPP fuse then.
911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by falcon5619
So, even when the NPP exhaust set to Track mode the exhaust valves still close at lower rpm, like ~2000 rpm and below. With the A8, it is always trying to be efficient so it is always running at low rpm (NPP valves closed and AFM valves closed if in V4 mode) unless you are on it or in manual mode holding a gear and paddle shifting. With the M7, you can wind out the gears and hold them longer, which allows you to let the exhaust sing. If you want a bit more exhaust volume at low rpm you need to pull the NPP fuse then.
Ya, I wanted to go a little further than that. That's why I'm going aftermarket

And doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the NPP in the first place? Which is what the OP is asking about. If people are pulling the fuse to get a louder sound, they're also disabling it. Why do that when I can keep the npp with my aftermarket exhaust?

Last edited by Sconn; 09-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 AM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. This is really hard to choose because I've been in need of a car so my patience is growing thin. I guess I just gotta decide what it's worth to me.

It's not bad, but I nearly bought a 2015, Z51 3lt with pdr, npp, z06 grill and spoiler ​​​​​​etc for $45 with 12k miles via private party. It may still be for sale if you're interested. He was located in Nevada. Only selling cause he wanted to upgrade to a Z.
​​​​​
What was the color combo? That does sound like an amazing deal.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:59 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
The valves close (at least part way), in certain gears at speed below about 36-37 mph. Federal Motor Vehicle standards require a drive-by sound test to be conducted at speeds up to 35 mph. Remove the fuse and they stay open at all times.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis
Thanks for all the replies. This is really hard to choose because I've been in need of a car so my patience is growing thin. I guess I just gotta decide what it's worth to me.

What was the color combo? That does sound like an amazing deal.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-corvettes-for-sale/4151285-2015-coupe-z51-3lz-black-on-black-a8.html

Sorry, was a little off on the mileage... Looks like it had 14k. Again, I have no idea if it's still for sale, but I will say, Ben was super nice and went out of his way to get detailed shots of the car for me. In the end, I went with a GS. Absolutely nothing wrong with the car or I'd never have mentioned it.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:28 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis
Thanks for the input! That's the problem though. I don't want an exhaust that's making max noise all the time which is what would happen with aftermarket. Also would you say the lack of z51 also shouldn't be a deal breaker if I'm not going to track it?

Ive owned my NON npp base stingray for 7 months and put 6500 miles on it so far. its great but.....

I regret not buying a z51 or GS BIGTIME ! ! ! !

My advise is dont settle ( i did and it sucks ) keep doing what you doing... you already know you dont want a one trick pony loud exhaust 100% on all the time, the npp is perfect in my opinion.

Asking questions is great but mostly you need to get some seat time behind both cars.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
NPP has a new pet trick in the c7, you go to the preferences menu in the center console display screen and you can choose the loudest setting to run ALL the time in any driving mode. Cool? yeah, when it worked. but after I get up to speed 35-45 the exhaust noise goes quiet. not a real issue for me. Also you can pop a fuse out and have it full time.....but, wouldn't it be better to get a full time aftermarket exhaust at your preferred loud setting and leave the fuses intact? oh, in a C6 GS I had that I put some miles on, one of the flappers got stuck, in NPP you are blowing superheated engine carbonized oil and gas grime on a moving part valve flap. somethings gotta stick when that happens over time.

if you find a car you like, I wouldn't make a $1200 complicated noisemaker the tipping point for buy/not buy. plenty options for aftermarket noise in your face all the time.

Borland

also google Corsa for C7
Have had NPP on my C6, 2014 Z51 and now my Grand Sport. It's fine BUT a buddies Boral, the FlowMasters on my '88 Vette and on my S10 truck when between Vettes sounded better. The straight through Bola muffles on 3 inch stainless pipes coming from long tube Sanderson headers on the 502 cid engine in my Street Rod certainly sounds much better.

If I were the OP, go to the Borla website and listen to the several options they have and pick one!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-22-2018 at 02:22 PM.
911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 02:30 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

No, buy the car if you otherwise like it. You can always play with the exhaust and boy-racer noises later.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:28 PM
BlackHoleGravity
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a CPO C7 without NPP, but it did come with a muffler delete!! Thought it would be too loud and drone, but once I drove it I loved the snap, crackle and pop!! It's not too loud, sounds just about right to me...
911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:10 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackHoleGravity
I bought a CPO C7 without NPP, but it did come with a muffler delete!! Thought it would be too loud and drone, but once I drove it I loved the snap, crackle and pop!! It's not too loud, sounds just about right to me...
I was going to suggest the muffler delete as well, especially once you see the Corvette tax on a pair of mufflers but it sounded like the OP wanted the option to tone down the exhaust with the valves.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:26 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

z51 package is not a big deal, especially if you're not tracking. Try to negotiate a slightly better selling price then replace the existing exhaust with an aftermarket set up.

911Hunter (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:57 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Thanks for the advice everyone. So I realized that if I want NPP in the used market, I'm going to have to get the Z51 because it's going to be hard to find one with NPP and not Z51. The part that concerns me about the Z51 is it may not be the ride quality im looking for in a daily driver. I'm going to have to go check out both at the dealer and see if they'll let me test drive non-z51 and z51. Other than that, I think I lost out on the deal I was looking at cause I waited too long..
Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

There are plenty of deals out there... Keep looking. You'll find the right one.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

There are plenty of deals out there... Keep looking. You'll find the right one.
Hope so. Been looking since July, and I don't have a car right now haha. I'm only really willing to look within an 800 mile radius because I'd rather not have to drive that far. This would be much faster if I wasnt look for white with red interior only in 3lt.

Get notified of new replies

To Is not having NPP exhaust enough to pass on this deal?

Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
you answered your own questions.. you want the NPP exhaust? get one with it. you cannot add it. not through the way it was designed.

there's a good 100,000 PLUS C7's out there.. find the one you want.. you'll ALWAYS have the want for it if you compromise on that car.

Plenty of good deals on Z51’s out there. Don’t compromise.....get a Z51. You’ll always wonder why you didn’t.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Definitely not a deal breaker IMO. NPP is too gimmicky. I removed it soon after delivery in favor of Corsa Xtremes and their X-pipe. No need for ***** and buttons as you can easily control the volume with the pedal. Oh yeah, and it sounds a lot better...

Edit: If you plan to track, as mentioned above, then NPP might be advantageous. Otherwise, Corsa, Borla, Akrapovic, MagnFlow, BB, etc... many to choose from...

Last edited by sTz; 09-23-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:54 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Opinion is pretty split it seems. I have a different question now, is it worth getting a car from a dealer? Seems like the prices are always a good amount extra than private.

Quick Reply: Is not having NPP exhaust enough to pass on this deal?