Sponsored by:

Question for Vitesse Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:05 AM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Question for Vitesse Owners

I have a Vitesse (new version with the ****, not installed yet) but just ordered a Sprint Booster v3 (arrives Tuesday). Deciding which to install. I have a Mamo PTB and have read about people having issues with both a PTB and Vitesse. Wonder if the Sprint Booster and PTB may have the same issue...

For you Vitesse owners, how many of you actually calibrate monthly? Or how many of you actually calibrate at all (beyond the initial calibration)? I'm leaning toward the Sprint Booster is because it's self calibrating.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 AM
RCL119
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my Vitesse in my 2016 Stingray for three months and never calibrated it. I moved it to my 2018 GS and just calibrated after 10 months and 6000 miles.It didn't need to be calibrated I was just looking for something to do.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

HAd the Vittesse for almost 3 years now, no probelms and never had to recal.. I have no idea why there would be a problem with a BBTB.. Neither the Vittesse, or the Sprint do anything other than modify the throttle signal to the ECU...
Old 09-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,827 Posts

No need to recalibrate. With the ignition on and engine off you can check if it's calibrated if you want. It shows throttle position as a %.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

The throttle position sensor sends a voltage signal to the ECM , and as with almost anything that has to do with a Vette if you have a boarderline battery it could cause an issue with the Vitesse calibration . With those folks that I have helped both with C6 and C7's , most of the issues were caused by not properly calibrating the unit in the first place or a weak battery , there were a few where the unit just went bad ....but far fewer that u think

Since the sprint booster works on the same principle I think we can say it's safe to assume it could have the same issue

with that said , I had a Vitesse on my C6 and now on my C7 and did not have to recalibrate either ..

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-23-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:46 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I recently had it dump me into reduced power mode twice in a couple of weeks. I think the control module stashed behind the carpet next to the center tunnel caused it to overheat and malfunction despite the heat insulator I placed around it. Both times it happened after ~an hour of driving on my commute home during hot weather which is why I suspect overheating. It's an unsettling feeling to be driving along when, suddenly, the car goes into reduced power - could be potentially dangerous such as when merging or passing. It threw codes for the throttle peddle both times and I had to do a recal and code rest both times. Luckily I had bought one of the upgraded versions recently with the **** replacing the buttons and swapped that one in but, this time, I placed it further from the heat besides adding insulation. A couple of weeks since and the fault has not returned.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:59 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patches
I recently had it dump me into reduced power mode twice in a couple of weeks. I think the control module stashed behind the carpet next to the center tunnel caused it to overheat and malfunction despite the heat insulator I placed around it. Both times it happened after ~an hour of driving on my commute home during hot weather which is why I suspect overheating. It's an unsettling feeling to be driving along when, suddenly, the car goes into reduced power - could be potentially dangerous such as when merging or passing. It threw codes for the throttle peddle both times and I had to do a recal and code rest both times. Luckily I had bought one of the upgraded versions recently with the **** replacing the buttons and swapped that one in but, this time, I placed it further from the heat besides adding insulation. A couple of weeks since and the fault has not returned.
What kind of insulation did you use?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:37 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
What kind of insulation did you use?
Patches is correct , the control unit does not like heat , do not wrap it as you are also sealing heat in . Mount it out in the open under the dash , in my C6 I just wire tied the control unit to the steering wheel harness

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-23-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I had a similar problem when I first installed mine. It turned out that I didn't have one of the pins seated correctly in the wire harness.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Although it had not happened to me, when I posted that I installed mine behind the firewall carpet, Vitesse saw my post and said don't it can overheat!

My first attempt at putting up in the dash didn't work as it pulled out one of the plugs! Got just what you found, it went into limp home mode when I tried to back out of the garage!

My solution is shown in a two pics below:

First I put a heavy "O" ring on controller with tape. Then added a plastic tie to secure the "O"ring.
Then used another plastic tie to attach the "O" ring to a wire bundle under the dash.
It hangs from the bundle and is not visible. Have to practice installing that 2nd plastic tie using one hand- but can be done!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-24-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:11 AM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Never had to recal since initial install. Also running Mamo PTB.

I mounted the unit with 2 sided tap in a flat area under the dash

Last edited by EASonBASS; 09-25-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm done with this device.

First, it gave my tuner fits trying to tune the PCM when the s/c was installed and Vitesse does not warn that you need to disconnect it to tune. Second, I have now run both versions of this product (the two-button version for over a year and the **** version for less than a week) and they have both failed multiple times unexpectedly and in potentially dangerous modes. The first version was throwing the car into reduced power mode suddenly and without warning, possibly due to overheating of the controller board by being close to the heat of the central tunnel. The second unit I installed behind the center stack further away from heat and it failed in a different mode.

Yesterday, I had just left the house for work when, without warning, the rpms shot up to above 4000 rpm between shifts with the clutch pedal depressed (I was in the middle of a shift when it happened). I was traveling at about 45 mph so I blipped the throttle and it returned to normal - luckily, no cars were near me and I had time to let the car settle down. It was uneventful the rest of the 45 miles to work. However, on my return trip home in the evening, just as I was nearing my house, the throttle went into sudden uncontrollable high rpm - again, the clutch was disengaged and I was coasting along at about 25 miles an hour. The engine spun to ~6200 rpm and this time I had to shut the engine down to stop the runaway throttle. I restarted the car and all was well. Again, luckily, no cars around me so I was able to stop the car safely.

The minute I got home I disconnected the Vitesse and put the car back to original configuration. I'm not even going to try and troubleshoot as I've lost all confidence in the reliability of this device. I'm normally not this conservative to give up this quickly but no way am I putting myself or other drivers at risk by continuing to run this. I will be contacting Vitesse about my experiences with their product to at least give them a heads-up. Let's see if they respond.

Proceed at your own peril.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Pactches with the many that are installed and some on supercharged cars do you think it might have something to do with the tune ?

maybe there is a value in the tune that is making the ECM go out of range ??
The only reason I ask is because you had two go bad ??
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 09-26-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:45 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

It's certainly possible but the tune I have has been gone over by two of the top tuners in Cali. As I mentioned, the tuners know to disable the Vitesse before tuning as it interferes with the tuning software. There are others on here who have a similar setup and I haven't heard anyone complain about the same issue.

Not a big deal. I drove the car to work this morning for the first time in ~2 years without the Vitesse and, by the time I arrived, I was fine with it without the controller.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:03 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

I'm done with this device.

First, it gave my tuner fits trying to tune the PCM when the s/c was installed and Vitesse does not warn that you need to disconnect it to tune. Second, I have now run both versions of this product (the two-button version for over a year and the **** version for less than a week) and they have both failed multiple times unexpectedly and in potentially dangerous modes. The first version was throwing the car into reduced power mode suddenly and without warning, possibly due to overheating of the controller board by being close to the heat of the central tunnel. The second unit I installed behind the center stack further away from heat and it failed in a different mode.

Yesterday, I had just left the house for work when, without warning, the rpms shot up to above 4000 rpm between shifts with the clutch pedal depressed (I was in the middle of a shift when it happened). I was traveling at about 45 mph so I blipped the throttle and it returned to normal - luckily, no cars were near me and I had time to let the car settle down. It was uneventful the rest of the 45 miles to work. However, on my return trip home in the evening, just as I was nearing my house, the throttle went into sudden uncontrollable high rpm - again, the clutch was disengaged and I was coasting along at about 25 miles an hour. The engine spun to ~6200 rpm and this time I had to shut the engine down to stop the runaway throttle. I restarted the car and all was well. Again, luckily, no cars around me so I was able to stop the car safely.

The minute I got home I disconnected the Vitesse and put the car back to original configuration. I'm not even going to try and troubleshoot as I've lost all confidence in the reliability of this device. I'm normally not this conservative to give up this quickly but no way am I putting myself or other drivers at risk by continuing to run this. I will be contacting Vitesse about my experiences with their product to at least give them a heads-up. Let's see if they respond.

Proceed at your own peril.
Maybe consider the Sprint Booster? I received mine yesterday but have not installed it yet. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Maybe consider the Sprint Booster? I received mine yesterday but have not installed it yet. Hopefully this weekend.
Can you do a install video or at least post some pointers? Mine should be here this week. I went with this over the Vitesse.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

You know, I thought about that but, honestly, with the s/c setup I have, I'm good with how the car drives. The Vitesse was icing on the cake but the cake alone is pretty damn good.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for Vitesse Owners

Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 AM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Can you do a install video or at least post some pointers? Mine should be here this week. I went with this over the Vitesse.
The install is exactly the same as the Vitesse.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

It's certainly possible but the tune I have has been gone over by two of the top tuners in Cali. As I mentioned, the tuners know to disable the Vitesse before tuning as it interferes with the tuning .
That in itself may be your problem..
The Vitesse needs to be completely taken out, meaning not in line, not wired, before tuning..

Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Got the Sprint Booster in earlier this week. Debating which to install and I went with the Sprint Booster. It's a good amount more than the Vitesse, but I'm happy so far. 😬

Who wants to buy my Vitesse? 🤨

Quick Reply: Question for Vitesse Owners