C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 PM
daleh50
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok - we got it you prefer Google Maps, but the thread is about Waze being available on CarPlay. Most on this thread are happy about that !

👍

Originally Posted by defaria
As I've said time and time again - I'm not looking for false reports of cops and warnings about road hazards that are 3 or 4 lanes away from me. OTOH I do want good route previews and exit lane guidance and the ability to easily add additional stops to my route - things that Waze just can't seem to do.

Oh, and BTW, GM does indicate things like construction and accidents anyway. Probably getting it from you Wazers! Thanks!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

Anyone figure out how to control the volume on Waze? My prompts are super loud and reducing the volume 'in' Waze on my my phone does nothing.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 PM
ilkSurfer
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Lower it while waze is talking.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilkSurfer:
Slynky (09-25-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas1
All of this banter about the accuracy of Waze and cops is amusing. Cops move....so accuracy is based on input timing and the variability of cops moving. When you offer feedback via a thumbs up or down you reinforce the icon. Thumbs down=the icon disappears if I mark the cop as gone.

That's assuming that people thumbs down when the cop isn't there. I do recall, however, that there's a "Not There" button and yes I hit that if they are not there.

Yes, in some areas cops move more than others. In Houston on outer loops you can see this with all the cop icons. 4 or 5 cop icons in a 1/2 mile stretch is pretty intuitive...its one cop moving and being tagged along the way...not 4 or 5 cops. You can see it as a plot point of movements from one side of the road to the other when they move around. You think cops might be aware of Waze?....My father-in-law is one....yes, they know the game. Bottom line, Waze and a radar detector are about as good as you are going to get if you want to try and elude the all mighty radar gun.

Aside from cops Waze is awesome for navigating traffic options in large cities. I’ve used it in major cities globally and its an awesome resource.
If Waze wasn't missing a number of those other, to me, valuable features that I have enumerated before, I'd agree with you. But to me, to give up those features to get essentially lots of false alarms is not worth it to me. That said, I'm trying to use Waze more to do more measurements...

Still would like to know how to turn off that sound that happens when I go off route.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

I went to work, today and on the trip in both directions, there were at least a dozen notifications. 2 of them were false police notifications. One of them, I clicked “not there.” And I literally went 1000’ and saw CHP taking the offramp, so, he had just left that spot. There were 2 notifications, of vehicles stopped on bridges that were both surprisingly accurate. One of them was so far out in the middle of no where. I couldn’t believe it was even tagged. And there was a guy outside of his car, staring off at a cow pasture. So, in both directions, with at least a dozen notifications in each direction, there were a total of 3 falses. 2 cops and 1 warning for something ahead.

Not at all discounting the fact that there are falses. And like Vortex radar eludes to, its just another tool to help keep you out of trouble, when you’re a little heavy on the pedal.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
I went to work, today and on the trip in both directions, there were at least a dozen notifications. 2 of them were false police notifications. One of them, I clicked “not there.” And I literally went 1000’ and saw CHP taking the offramp, so, he had just left that spot. There were 2 notifications, of vehicles stopped on bridges that were both surprisingly accurate. One of them was so far out in the middle of no where. I couldn’t believe it was even tagged. And there was a guy outside of his car, staring off at a cow pasture. So, in both directions, with at least a dozen notifications in each direction, there were a total of 3 falses. 2 cops and 1 warning for something ahead.

Not at all discounting the fact that there are falses. And like Vortex radar eludes to, its just another tool to help keep you out of trouble, when you’re a little heavy on the pedal.
Good reporting!

What I was talking about however was solely the cop reports by themselves as that's what most people say is so great about Waze. You had 2 false reports for cops. How many total reports on cops only?

And don't misunderstand what I'm saying. It is another tool to use. But in order to use that tool I have a number of useful bits of functionality I'd rather not give up. I guess I'm just not as concerned about cops seeing me than losing that functionality. My radar seems to be enough of a tool for me. Then again I don't excessively speed around town either. If I'm gonna do some "spirited driving" it'll be in a very sparely populated area, and area that I believe Waze cop reporting is probably about as efficient as my radar.

As people are fond of telling me - to each his own eh?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:13 AM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

I want to say, from what I can remember, about 7.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:23 AM
defaria
Safety Car

So then that would be almost 30% miss rate. "Until Google Comes Along By 2001, computer speech recognition had topped out at 80 percent accuracy," (https://www.itbusiness.ca/news/histo...-to-siri/15008) and you gotta admit, that was pretty damn annoying. And when I get annoyed at something I tend to start ignoring it.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 AM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

got it and works. Be sure to have your waze app updated if you have a problem
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:47 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

I use waze all the time - in metro NY essential to show the static photo radars-
Also there is a predictive departure time function that allows you to say when you want arrive somewhere and it will do predictive analytics to tell you approximate time to leave
finally- if there a cop warning on waze- sure they may not be there but at least you have increased situational awareness that there may be an issue- just like getting a hit on v1- gotta sway the odds in your favor
Z51VetteFan (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Waze is worthless in my part of the country. Hardly anyone uses it. I can understand it works very well in largely populated urban areas.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:19 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

On my iPhone 6S iOS 12, I updated Google Maps yesterday to V5.0.3001 and have Waze V 4.43.4.5 installed.
Google Maps displays on the infotainment screen, but Waze doesn't... Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:45 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkSurfer
Lower it while waze is talking.
Lower it where? In Waze, phone volume? Radio? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:31 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Take the volume **** and turn it counter clockwise. The steering wheel controls may also work. It's strange at first but kinda makes sense - if you tweak the volume while the alert is going on it lowers or raises the alert volume. Try it!
Slynky (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Take the volume **** and turn it counter clockwise. The steering wheel controls may also work. It's strange at first but kinda makes sense - if you tweak the volume while the alert is going on it lowers or raises the alert volume. Try it!
Seems plausible--it works that way in my 370Z (or you can go to settings and raise navigation volume...but waiting for nav to speak and adjusting volume that way is easier).
Old 09-26-2018, 03:06 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

The real question to anyone who thinks GM is even in the same league as Waze is how frequently do you actually care about being navigated somewhere? 95% of the time I'm tooling around areas I already know and having alerts to police, traffic conditions and road hazards is of far more use than helping me find something.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 09-26-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:08 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
On my iPhone 6S iOS 12, I updated Google Maps yesterday to V5.0.3001 and have Waze V 4.43.4.5 installed.
Google Maps displays on the infotainment screen, but Waze doesn't... Thoughts?
When CarPlay is loaded there should be some icons at the bottom for audio, phone, nav. The first time you press the nav it will go to your "favorite" or last used app. It probably defaults to Google Maps. LONG press that button about 3 seconds and it will pop up and show you all nav apps you have, at which point you can choose Waze which will be your favorite and default.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdiddy972:
BostonVette (09-27-2018), jimmbbo (09-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!

Old 09-26-2018, 03:23 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Played around with Waze for a few days--it's pretty nice. One feature I really like is that both alerts and speed limit icon stay active even if you do not have a route in mind. When we are just cruising for fun on new roads I like having a map on the screen just to see what's coming up. Apple Maps is not the best for this (but I do like it for directions). Waze works great for this use.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Be sure and download the Google Maps update which was released last week that integrates into CarPlay. I prefer Waze for traffic avoidance, but to have a map up without a particular route in mind, Google Maps w/ satellite view looks spectacular on the screen.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
The real question to anyone who thinks GM is even in the same league as Waze is how frequently do you actually care about being navigated somewhere? 95% of the time I'm tooling around areas I already know and having alerts to police, traffic conditions and road hazards is of far more use than helping me find something.
Bingo, 9 times out of 10, I know where I'm going. My use of Waze on every drive no matter how short is all about the warnings and traffic avoidance. Apple Maps and the factory nav are worthless in that regard.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.
JonMN (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
The real question to anyone who thinks GM is even in the same league as Waze

I don't think that GM is in the same league as Waze - it's clearly better.

is how frequently do you actually care about being navigated somewhere?
Just about every time I'm driving my car I'm under route guidance. It's not that I don't know how to get from A to B but rather traffic and road conditions change. Plus I sometimes add a stop.

95% of the time I'm tooling around areas I already know and having alerts to police, traffic conditions and road hazards is of far more use than helping me find something.
I have that too 'cept the police alerts which I've said time and time again, are unreliable at best - at least for me.

Now can somebody tell me how to turn off the awful sound that says I'm not on the route. I know when I turn off the highway to get gas or food that I'm not on the route and I don't want to be hounded by that sound telling me "Your're not on the route, your not on the route, etc.".
Z51VetteFan (09-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!