C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
How are you connecting your phone to the infotainment unit?
USB Cable
Old 09-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
I don't get it. Yes Waze helps with traffic avoidance and re-routing. Then again SO DO ALL THE OTHER NAV APPS!!! (OK maybe not the factory nav if you don't add on the OnStar penalty). Google Maps does it and so does Apple Maps from what I hear. I have heard some grumbling that Apple Maps doesn't do as good a job but in my experience both Google Maps and Waze do essentially the same job as far as these two functions. One trip from the Bay Area down to San Diego on 101 Google Maps had me just about driving through corn fields to avoid the big traffic jam. Another time I was alerted by GM to exit 880 and thought it strange but as I took the exit and saw 880 ahead of me GM just guided me around a major traffic jam. IOW what Waze is doing for these function is nothing special and nothing that GM doesn't already do as well. But people tote Waze as if it's special.
You seem to be the type who doesn't listen very well.

Many have told you over and over in the years you've been beating this subject to death on this forum, that Waze does traffic avoidance better than other alternatives, which do now try to play the traffic avoidance game. However, the overwhelming Waze advantages are: 1) more data because of an extremely large and loyal user base, which has been building exponentially for years, and are on-line in a congested areas at any given time; 2) more sophisticated algorithms for quickly finding alternative routes based on the large real-time database; and 3) the reporting feature with it's much more user-friendly interface for reporting producing even more real-time data. More real-time data means better accuracy and performance. Unless it's easy to use folks won't report, and Waze is super easy.

When someone reports "car stopped in road" and 10 people quickly tag it, that's a 100% reliable report. When something that's been reported is cleared, users immediately tag "not there", and the report is cleared if multiple users do that. Waze makes it ridiculously quick and easy to do that so there's a lot more reporting, and it's now even easier on CarPlay. Reports pop up on the big screen, and a simple touch allows you to select "Thanks" or "Not There" meaning no more phone fiddling. I predict CarPlay will bring even more users and better data because that function works incredibly well. I reported routinely in the past, but now I do it 100% of the time now when a message pops up on the CarPlay screen because it's much easier to do so and much easier to see on a big screen.

More users means better real-time data. Waze got way out in front of everyone else early, and they've stayed in front with the largest number of users on-line at any given moment. As with all the apps, sparse data means unreliable performance in traffic avoidance, and they all perform about the same in rural areas with few users. You can see other Wazers on the map, and in my congested area, I'm usually surrounded by them. That's a clear indication of how ubiquitous Waze usage has become in major metro areas.

Ask yourself this very simple question:" Why did Google spend a very large sum to acquire Waze? Answer: They wanted the intellectual property. They may well merge the two at some point in the future, but at this point Waze is still ahead in traffic avoidance and better than anyone else.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-29-2018 at 12:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
Boiler_81 (11-24-2018), daleh50 (09-29-2018), Mister Big (10-05-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 AM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

I with you, Foosh. Ive come up on a report, where as many as 17 people have already thanked. And its been there. Im also completely onboard, now that Waze has made Apple CarPlay integration, pretty much seamless. Its a 2 button touch on the screen to alert of Police ahead, and 3-4 when reporting a car stopped on the side of the road. But, like you, I never used to pick my phone up to report. Now, its been 100% for me. CarPlay for reporting, is a game changer. I wish there was an easier way to report cops sitting on, onramps, that you cant see, until you look back in the rear view mirror, and they are way up on the ramp. I had that happen to me, yesterday. The best I could do was report it when I saw it. And hopefully people saw the notification, and took the appropriate actions necessary.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z51VetteFan:
daleh50 (09-30-2018), Foosh (09-30-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

My car went into the shop right when the IOS update came out, so i finally got to try it.

I think it's great on Carplay. Touchscreen functions are simple. Display is great. I actually am happy it's not on the HUD like the GM NAV. The only glitch for me is I have to use the screen destination button rather than my phone, once my phone is connected to USB, or else it tends to glitch.

I trust the Waze algo more than any other; you just have to get used to using side streets in the big city (LA, SF, NY).
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (11-24-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:14 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I've been waiting for this Waze update since i picked up my 17 Z in November of 2016. It was so frustrating to have to watch the phone screen when the screen on the infotainment essentially told me nothing important. Now that Waze works with CarPlay, things are as I originally envisioned them two years ago! Thank you Google and Apple!
Old 10-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Gretz
I've been waiting for this Waze update since i picked up my 17 Z in November of 2016. It was so frustrating to have to watch the phone screen when the screen on the infotainment essentially told me nothing important. Now that Waze works with CarPlay, things are as I originally envisioned them two years ago! Thank you Google and Apple!
hopefully they keep adding other apps for CarPlay
Z51VetteFan (11-24-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 09:05 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Got it, love it. But... when Waze is up on my screen via CarPlay I can't change Sirius/XM radio station via the dash **** or the steering wheel button. I have to exit back to the main audio display to change a station. Is this how everyone elses' works or do I have a problem in my system? This is less than optimum. I have a Pioneer in my other vehicle that doesn't suffer this shortfall.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:28 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Well I'm not an iGuy so I don't have nor use CarPlay. Under AA there is no such icon and as I've said many times before the route overview screen with the 3 routes sucks *****. It is not shown on a map, just boxes so you have no idea of what it is. Note it does display on the phone if you use Waze just on your phone but I'm talking about using Waze on the big screen. It may be different on CapPlay and/or the Waze version running on CarPlay could be totally different than the Waze version running under AA but I can only report and use Waze under AA.

In any event, seeing the alternate route on the map screen that you are navigating under along with an indication of how much longer (or same ETA) right there on the big screen is much better than having to tap, tap and guess which of the 3 boxes is the correct alternate route.
Quoting myself on this long and inactive thread... Please forgive.

I just thought that I bashed Waze a lot and told people to do some experimentation regarding false positives, etc. So I decided to do it again myself and keep records. Now I have a blog post for you to see the results... It doesn't look good... for Waze...

Android Auto with Google Maps (GM) vs Android Auto with Waze

It is my thoughts and notes from giving Waze an honest trial. I fully realize that this can be different for everybody depending on where you live, the number of other Wazers in the area, etc. These are truly my experiences. While not 60-70% false positives, almost 50% false positives for me. As such, to me, Waze isn't worth it. It is worth it to you? You may think so but have you actually measured it?

I said it before, if Waze didn't have a number of the problems I've detailed in my blog post I'd use it! After all it would be equal Google Maps and have additional functionality. But I do not think it's worth it to me to switch to Waze with only 50% positives and a loss of all that other functionality that I value.

Who knows, maybe your actual experience is very positive on Waze. I'm sure that happens too but alas I am forced to live in my world.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Akcajunz
Pro

Received 378 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by blue max
got it and works. Be sure to have your waze app updated if you have a problem

So earlier in this thread someone quoted the latest Version is 4.43.4.5 However, I just looked at my app and it has Version 4.43.5.0. Does anyone else have this Version and verify that it works? I'm at work and the Vette is at home so I have to wait until this evening to try it out.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, 4.43.5.0 is the latest Waze version and works flawlessly.
Akcajunz (10-23-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:13 AM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

I would still like more functionality. I would like to zoom the map in closer, and make it permanent. Right now, I can zoom the map in, but it won't stay that way.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

How can you tell what version Waze you have?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

On Android you go into the Play Store and click on the app in order to get more information. Maybe iPhones are similar.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

There are two ways to do it on iPhone. You can open Waze on your phone, click the HOURGLASS (search icon), click on your USERNAME, click SETTINGS, click ABOUT, and the version number is there with all the other small text.

The other method is go to the iPhone Apps Store, type Waze into search, and if you don't have the latest version, the button will say UPDATE. The version number will also be there. If you have the latest version, the button will say OPEN. If you don't have it at all, it will say BUY (free).

However, if you have auto updates enabled on your iPhone, it will automatically update to the latest version.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-24-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Z51VetteFan (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:48 AM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Not really liking the new "thanks/ close" function. Its confusing. are you saying close the notification, or delete the report because there is nothing there? I wish they would go back to, "Not There."
Old 11-25-2018, 01:20 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Something I'd like is for Waze to do search results that prefer finds in the current direction of travel or something to indicate that. Or show the results on the map.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 11-25-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!