C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!

Just wanted to let everyone know it was available! FINALLY! The police notification is awesome. You just tag the cop, and it marks the location when you press the cop icon on the screen.

Last edited by Z51VetteFan; 09-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Z51VetteFan:
A320Flyer (09-24-2018), beaversstonehaven (09-24-2018), frankmp (09-24-2018), george vee (09-24-2018), Junox (09-24-2018), Nick B (09-24-2018), Pegaso (09-26-2018), Slynky (09-24-2018), Speedfreaq (09-24-2018), USMC 0802 (09-27-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Awesome, I was pretty sure once Google released last week Waze would find a way to get their beta out pronto. Even though Waze is now owned by Google, I'm sure the Waze people couldn't stand getting beaten by a sibling.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-24-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I downloaded Waze this afternoon and am anxious to check it out! I am already impressed that it gives the right location for my brand new house, as so far only Apple Maps was able to find it, all other navigation systems that my friends (and delivery people) have cannot find it yet. (I even had one idiot Ebay seller tell me he could not ship his product to me as his shipper said my address doesn't even exist)
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
Did not come up on the 16 C-7 What are supported modesl
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:36 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Do a little research on the cop alert. My records shown me that about 60-70% of the time it's a false alarm. You know cops are generally in cars and they tend to move around.

There are a lot of other deficiencies in Waze when compared to GM that quite frankly I won't do without. And when I figured out that most of the time the alerts in Waze are false alarms I asked myself if I really want to up my level of paranoia needlessly.

This is not to say that you get as many false alerts as I do hence "do the research" comment above.

But to me giving up turn lane guidance, a real route preview and the ability to easily set additional stops is not worth the 60-70% of the time when Waze says "Police reported ahead" and there are no police there.
The following 4 users liked this post by defaria:
A320Flyer (09-24-2018), joemessman (09-26-2018), Slynky (09-24-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Do a little research on the cop alert. My records shown me that about 60-70% of the time it's a false alarm. You know cops are generally in cars and they tend to move around.

There are a lot of other deficiencies in Waze when compared to GM that quite frankly I won't do without. And when I figured out that most of the time the alerts in Waze are false alarms I asked myself if I really want to up my level of paranoia needlessly.

This is not to say that you get as many false alerts as I do hence "do the research" comment above.

But to me giving up turn lane guidance, a real route preview and the ability to easily set additional stops is not worth the 60-70% of the time when Waze says "Police reported ahead" and there are no police there.

Mine is a little more accurate than that. And I guarantee that the people that have been holding off on not getting a car kit, such as myself, will only make it more accurate. I’d rather be safe than sorry. It’s only significant to me, if I’m going a little faster than I should be. Now with you able to tag in CarPlay so easily, it should get even better.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

So, I suspect my question is probably unnecessary but just to be sure...

The navigation prompts DO come through the car speakers, right? (just worried the only connection benefit is a larger picture on the info-center).

AND, I am reading that some touchscreen features that one uses on the phone screen also work on the info-center touchscreen as well...?
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
Mine is a little more accurate than that.

How much more accurate and how much inaccuracy would you tolerate?

And I guarantee that the people that have been holding off on not getting a car kit, such as myself, will only make it more accurate.
You have no data to support that so why the guarantee? You're assume that more people will mean more good reports but it can as easily mean more bad reports.

I’d rather be safe than sorry. It’s only significant to me, if I’m going a little faster than I should be. Now with you able to tag in CarPlay so easily, it should get even better.
The ease in ability to tag is again, no guarantee that the tag is accurate.

Another thing I've noticed when I did use Waze for a bit is that when I attempted to report something, traveling at say 70 MPH, by the time I reported the cop I was 1/2 a mile to a mile away. Of what good is a report of a cop at point X when they are actually at point X - 1/2 mile?
I doubt if it'll get that much better because, again, cops ride in cars, with wheels and engines and thus tend to be mobile and move around a lot. Sure there are those who say park under a bridge and have their radar gun out. But I have a radar detector for that already.

Yes better safe than sorry and then again there's the whole cry wolf thing too right? People fall on both ends of the spectrum and if you want to be more nervous when driving than normal then by all means go for it. I just find with that many false positives it's closer to cry wolf for me than better safe than sorry. I really don't care if a cop sees me, or thinks I'm speeding, I care if he can prove it and that's why I have a radar detector.

I guess Waze would be cool if it didn't have so many deficiencies that I've already noted that GM doesn't have and if it was a bit more quiet in it's alerts but to me GM is just still superior to Waze in it's functionality (that's not filled with false positives).
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
VNAMVET (09-28-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slynky
So, I suspect my question is probably unnecessary but just to be sure...

The navigation prompts DO come through the car speakers, right? (just worried the only connection benefit is a larger picture on the info-center).

AND, I am reading that some touchscreen features that one uses on the phone screen also work on the info-center touchscreen as well...?
Can't speak for the iPeople but I suspect it similar to AA. Yes navigation prompts come thru the car speakers, or you can set it to silent or just alerts.

As for features on the app on the phone - generally you will not be able to use the app on the phone. In AA, when connected to the big screen, if you attempt to go into say Google Maps it quickly disappears and shows instead on the big screen. Additionally, some functionality present only on the phone (e.g. Waze route preview on the phone shows you a map of the route but on the big screen you get stupid boxes) is not accessible on the big screen under the theory of "less buttons/functionality is safer".
Slynky (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:20 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 389 Posts

How much more accurate and how much inaccuracy would you tolerate?

You have no data to support that so why the guarantee? You're assume that more people will mean more good reports but it can as easily mean more bad reports.

The ease in ability to tag is again, no guarantee that the tag is accurate.

Another thing I've noticed when I did use Waze for a bit is that when I attempted to report something, traveling at say 70 MPH, by the time I reported the cop I was 1/2 a mile to a mile away. Of what good is a report of a cop at point X when they are actually at point X - 1/2 mile?
I doubt if it'll get that much better because, again, cops ride in cars, with wheels and engines and thus tend to be mobile and move around a lot. Sure there are those who say park under a bridge and have their radar gun out. But I have a radar detector for that already.

Yes better safe than sorry and then again there's the whole cry wolf thing too right? People fall on both ends of the spectrum and if you want to be more nervous when driving than normal then by all means go for it. I just find with that many false positives it's closer to cry wolf for me than better safe than sorry. I really don't care if a cop sees me, or thinks I'm speeding, I care if he can prove it and that's why I have a radar detector.

I guess Waze would be cool if it didn't have so many deficiencies that I've already noted that GM doesn't have and if it was a bit more quiet in it's alerts but to me GM is just still superior to Waze in it's functionality (that's not filled with false positives).
Waze made a change to the algorithm for Android (maybe Apple also) that places the warning location based on where you first hit the button then they back it up a little based on your speed to be more accurate. The accuracy of police locations is based on a couple of things. First, police move around so I always keep looking for a while after the indicator. Many times they will pull out and issue a ticket before setting up again at the new location. I've noticed this to be true very often. The other is the number of Waze users in the area and whether or not they touch the "not there anymore" button. The one thing that bugs me is that a user going one direction, let's say south, spots an officer in the medial. He could be set up to monitor traffic going in either direction but Waze won't alert the north bound drivers. The marker will be there but you won't get an alert. I'm a Waze Beta tester and I have recommended a change for that but it hasn't happened yet. I would also like to be able to confirm or report a sighting in the other lanes. Now that I'm thinking about it I'll make the recommendation again.

Last July I took a trip to the Outer Banks from upstate NY. Going through NJ there were probably 3 dozen reports and only one was wrong. The map was covered with Wazers so it was very up to date. If you are in a sparsly populated area the reports are not accurate at all. You can't assume someone ahead of you has marked the location. One other thing that really helped me was when I was crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Waze reported an object in the road ahead. I slowed down, and had time to react to a construction sign that blown into the center of the lane. There was no way to get around it without going into the other lane which I was able to do because I had slowed down significantly.

If you are in upstate NY and see a Wazer named "Vettedryver" beep me on the app. Just for info, Waze does not accurately place your user icon on the road. Usually they are off by several minutes or more. I haven't been able to accurately determine the location. It's probably kept secret so no one figures it out.This way a cop won't see a warning pop up and see a Wazer right there.

Last edited by George_L; 09-24-2018 at 07:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by George_L:
edzvet (10-02-2018), Foosh (09-25-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by George_L
Waze made a change to the algorithm for Android (maybe Apple also) that places the warning location based on where you first hit the button then they back it up a little based on your speed to be more accurate.
That'd be the best solution they could hope for but how do you know that's what they actually do?

The accuracy of police locations is based on a couple of things. First, police move around so I always keep looking for a while after the indicator. Many times they will pull out and issue a ticket before setting up again at the new location. I've noticed this to be true very often.
That's you - but is it how most other Wazers operate?

The other is the number of Waze users in the area and whether or not they touch the "not there anymore" button. The one thing that bugs me is that a user going one direction, let's say south, spots an officer in the medial. He could be set up to monitor traffic going in either direction but Waze won't alert the north bound drivers. The marker will be there but you won't get an alert. I'm a Waze Beta tester and I have recommended a change for that but it hasn't happened yet. I would also like to be able to confirm or report a sighting in the other lanes. Now that I'm thinking about it I'll make the recommendation again.
I've reported "not there" myself and the icon disappears from the map. But I've also caught myself tapping not there and then seeing the cop I didn't see the second before. That probably negatively affects others and is yet another problem adding to false positives. Maybe they should surface a button saying "I didn't mean that" for let's say a 1/2 a mile or two to let you cancel the error...

I've also experienced the "hey the cop is right there but Waze didn't alert me" too, probably exactly as you said, that it was reported going in the other direction.

Last July I took a trip to the Outer Banks from upstate NY. Going through NJ there were probably 3 dozen reports and only one was wrong. The map was covered with Wazers so it was very up to date. If you are in a sparsly populated area the reports are not accurate at all.
I live in Phoenix now, which is the 6th largest city in America. Still it's kinda spread out and quickly becomes sparsely populated (from my apt if I drive east on 10 within 4 miles I'm on Indian reservation and the speed limit turns to 75 MPH - though I rarely have need of going in that direction 'cept when I head back to San Diego to jam with friends).

You can't assume someone ahead of you has marked the location. One other thing that really helped me was when I was crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Waze reported an object in the road ahead. I slowed down, and had time to react to a construction sign that blown into the center of the lane. There was no way to get around it without going into the other lane which I was able to do because I had slowed down significantly.
Oh I've experienced them too, just as I've experienced times when it said object on the road and it was in the far right lane and I was 5 lanes over in the far left lane.

If you are in upstate NY and see a Wazer named "Vettedryver" beep me on the app. Just for info, Waze does not accurately place your user icon on the road. Usually they are off by several minutes or more. I haven't been able to accurately determine the location. It's probably kept secret so no one figures it out.This way a cop won't see a warning pop up and see a Wazer right there.
Thanks but I wouldn't be "back East" if I can at all help it.

So even the Wazers icons are way off. Given all of the false and inaccurate reporting what good is Waze when the reports are often wrong - which has been my point all long.

Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 389 Posts

That'd be the best solution they could hope for but how do you know that's what they actually do?

That's you - but is it how most other Wazers operate?

I've reported "not there" myself and the icon disappears from the map. But I've also caught myself tapping not there and then seeing the cop I didn't see the second before. That probably negatively affects others and is yet another problem adding to false positives. Maybe they should surface a button saying "I didn't mean that" for let's say a 1/2 a mile or two to let you cancel the error...

I've also experienced the "hey the cop is right there but Waze didn't alert me" too, probably exactly as you said, that it was reported going in the other direction.

I live in Phoenix now, which is the 6th largest city in America. Still it's kinda spread out and quickly becomes sparsely populated (from my apt if I drive east on 10 within 4 miles I'm on Indian reservation and the speed limit turns to 75 MPH - though I rarely have need of going in that direction 'cept when I head back to San Diego to jam with friends).

Oh I've experienced them too, just as I've experienced times when it said object on the road and it was in the far right lane and I was 5 lanes over in the far left lane.

Thanks but I wouldn't be "back East" if I can at all help it.

So even the Wazers icons are way off. Given all of the false and inaccurate reporting what good is Waze when the reports are often wrong - which has been my point all long.
To clarify, the icons I am referring to are the Waze user icons, not the alert icons.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 PM
blacklake
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To clarify, the icons I am referring to are the Waze user icons, not the alert icons.
I have a 2017 Silverado and have downloaded IOS 12 beta to my Iphone 7. What is the magic key to make this work? What needs to be updated?
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Got that and I thought likewise. I guess maintaining the actual positions of the many, many Wazers is less important than the actual positions of the hazards and cops but who really knows other than the developers?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklake
I have a 2017 Silverado and have downloaded IOS 12 beta to my Iphone 7. What is the magic key to make this work? What needs to be updated?
I had to delete Waze and reinstall it to get version 4.43.4.5. It works!
The following 2 users liked this post by L82Brake:
blacklake (09-24-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I use Waze for the traffic info, I look at the app before I leave for a trip to NYC that is 1:45min away, if waze tells me my ETA is 3hrs I stay and leave later.

Last edited by george vee; 09-24-2018 at 08:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by george vee:
Ih2lose (11-25-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM
Speedfreaq
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have invested in some of the best countermeasures available (for laser, radar, etc.) and I find Waze gives me 10 times as many saves as my entire countermeasure setup that costs thousands. I'm in Ohio...a proverbial police state and we all use it around here consistently. Perhaps, it isn't used as commonly in some other areas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speedfreaq:
Gotta-Qik-C7 (09-24-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Speedfreaq
I have invested in some of the best countermeasures available (for laser, radar, etc.) and I find Waze gives me 10 times as many saves as my entire countermeasure setup that costs thousands. I'm in Ohio...a proverbial police state and we all use it around here consistently. Perhaps, it isn't used as commonly in some other areas.
I wonder how exactly you measured that - or if you even did. And I will admit that my measurements were strictly anecdotal (I counted the number of alerts and the number of them that were positive but the results were pretty consistent), Of course other factors like traffic density, etc. come into play. But to me it's like Eco mode vs Sport mode, the amount of benefit was pretty small.
Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

My waze app did not automatically update on my iphone with IOS12 like most of my other apps. I had to go into the app store, find waze, then scroll down in the description to select "get the latest update" - it worked as advertised except the volume was super high. There was no volume control in carplay, other thn on, off, alerts, etc. I guess it needs to be lowered in the app itself on the phone? Mess with tomorrow and see.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sixgun95:
C82LT (09-24-2018), Z51VetteFan (09-25-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Waze available for Apple CarPlay! Go get it!