Seat ventilation upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Indeed! As I moved back to Phoenix earlier this year I am reminded how hot it gets here. IFF you get in your car and have sweat down the middle of your back and IFF you can get the cabin temperature down from the ungodly temps it reaches here in a parked car in Phoenix, then maybe, just maybe that swishing around of are may feel good on your lower back and again, for about 3 minutes. But that's it. That's one of the reasons why I stated in another thread that one of the most useless features on the C7 is the medium and low settings on the ventilated seat button. I would never say "Gee I'm on setting 3 and it's way too cool so let me try setting 2 (or 1)"!
Agreed, I only use it in the 3 setting. Glad to have it, it works in my car and I would hate not to have this option.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Try this experiment,...……….On a hot Summers day ( over 90 degrees) drive around for a while with the ventilated fan off and THEN tell me if you notice a difference?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had both seats completely apart (when I converted from the standard version to the Competition type). Once disassembled... I noticed the air inlet for the seat ventilators was from the bottom of the seat, drawing air from the floor. During times when the seat ventilation system isn't working quite well enough, I direct the HVAC to blow all the AC air down to the floor vents. This gets cooler air directed towards the seat ventilation inlet.

It does help... but not all that much..
Old 10-01-2018, 02:06 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
it's slightly satisfying for maybe 3 minutes max. Then nothing.
this is my take as well. At first I was like: ohhhhh nice cool bottom and back, then it was like: is thing even working? The effect is temporary and pretty disappointing.

A few things that help are: 1) let the A/C cool the car down to a reasonable level before turning them on, 2) direct the A/C to the floor, 3) put them on full blast (3 bars), 4) after the effect dies down turn them off and wait 10-15 mins before kicking them back on. I live in Florida so cooled seats are a great idea... just wish they worked better.

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
if these seats pulled the air from your body as opposed to Blow cabin air at you? It would be a game changer.
If true then someone needs to figure out how to reverse the fans.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I guess the intent of the original question was lost...

I am happy that GM included ventilated seats on the C7 and yes, they work as designed. My point was, and the reason for the question was to ask if anyone had attempted modifications to the OEM system to improve performance since the OEM design seemed lacking.

For those that like the OEM performance, Dilly Dilly!- please move on... Personally, I am in the camp that thinks the OEM performance is inadequate and curious about options to change fans, reverse airflow or perhaps tweak the ducting.

I am (unfortunately) not in a position financially to purchase a factory seat to experiment on hence the question, posing it to the resourceful group here on CF...

Allen
Old 10-01-2018, 07:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I think the vents work ok. It’s the heating aspect that is weak.
Yep the heating does take time, in my case up to 10 minutes when 40F (versus 2 0r 3 in my C6) before I turn down from 3 to 1 bar.

It’s the seat construction for cooling that causes the heating issue IMO. Compared to the C6 where the heating elements are close to the leather the C7 has a 3/8 inch thick mesh between the leather and heating elements. It is what allows the air from two small computer type fans in the bottom and one on the back to spread the air to the whole surface.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-01-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I think the vents work ok. It’s the heating aspect that is weak.
+1 on the weak heated seats. I've had so many cars with great heated seats having these is kind of a buzz kill. I use heated seats a lot just to de-stress the back and loosen it up. These won't do that. The cooling is just ok on high and only noticeable for a short time. Too bad they didn't get this item done better as it is a big part of the 2LT package. I will say the seats themselves are very good. new owner)
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

i have a 2LZ with Comps. i have no idea how this system passed validation testing

id gladly pay for a modification that fixed this issue
Old 10-02-2018, 01:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Personally, I am in the camp that thinks the OEM performance is inadequate and curious about options to change fans, reverse airflow or perhaps tweak the ducting.

Allen
I’m not super happy with heating or cooling but this is the first time I considered the “swamp cooling effect” that owc6 defined. Her method of optimizing is logical.

I defined why heating takes longer for the conduction through the ~3/8 inch thick open air mesh between the heating elements and leather. One afftered the other. Don’t think there is any ducting to change.

The seats were designed by Lear in Italy, same folks who design seats for Ferrari. They no doubt considered both air flow directions and picked what they did for a reason. Just my opinion, would not think any simple (or complex for that matter) change would make a difference, except bigger fans.

For heating., have wondered if you could have air blowing with the heat on would speed up that up.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-02-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

If you google this video it shows the construction of C7 seat vs C6. You can see the size of small fans and open mesh I referred to. Just plug in these words:

car and driver c6 and c7 seat youtube

Currently in Switzerland and of interest had to sign an agreement to use google and the could watch the referenced video BUT could not copy the URL! Probably had to agree it was a biased source of info! Could not read what I accepted!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-02-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Seat ventilation upgrade?