Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-Ended ... what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 03:01 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Rear-Ended ... what to look for?

I just got rear ended last night (slow, no injuries) by a friend who wasn't paying attention. We both have USAA and we both opened a new claim. I'm not sure how to handle that part yet, but I have Corvette questions: what kind of stuff is back there? what do I need to look out for? who do I look for to repair (send it to dealer and let them, or other)? Can I sue for depreciation (who's gonna buy it now?!)? This totally sucks.

So disappointed.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:06 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

My 14 got hit a bit more on right rear and it took out the transmission cooler lines. The big thing is that all the panels are put on with clips that are sonic welded to the part. They had to replace both rear fenders, bumper, filler plate, etc as the clips broke in the hit. That requires a new part. When they take it apart they will find out just what is broke underneath. Mine ended up over $8300 to repair. Yours dosen't look that much, but hard to tell till they take it apart. Chev dealer did the repair.
The following users liked this post:
ImpliedConsent (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Luckily, the damage does not look to bad. There is not too much back there and you would be surprised how much "void" space is behind that bumper cover. The lights and center plate section are all just attached to the bumper cover. As long as the Tub is not damaged, its just cosmetic. Check with your dealer and ask on here for reputable shops in the area. Most likely, you will be replacing entire pieces, not "repairing".

Not my picture, but here is a good shot of what is behind the scenes. As you can see... not much!
And sorry this happened, but should be easy repair.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:21 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

OK, good. I'd heard about the antenna's, but wasn't sure what else. My coolers are not leaking. Bunch-o-cracked fiberglass (in the trunk too). So, since this is not a $1k Honda, I am learning about "Diminished Value" claims. I'm gonna do that. It was my intent to have this car as pristine as possible (2016, 4700mi) and either 1) give to my daughter upon graduating college ... or ... 2) use for upgrade to the C8 ME. Either way, I wasn't "planning" on keeping it, but I did plan on keeping it perfect.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:25 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Can I sue for depreciation (who's gonna buy it now?!)?
Check with your insurance company about "diminished value"
Old 09-29-2018, 03:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good point above. Not every state or every insurance co. makes it easy to obtain diminished value. As to where to get it repaired, altho many/most dealers can either do it themselves, or farm it out (many dealers no longer have in-house paint/body shops), I'd say start looking for a Corvette-knowledgeable body/paint shop. Call up Corv. clubs from a google search, talk with them re who they use. Go and talk with the shops, plural. You want to be comfortable that they understand your car and can do the job. Some will say, it's just a car, and paint and body are nothing special. It's your car---you decide.
The following 3 users liked this post by AORoads:
ImpliedConsent (09-29-2018), joemessman (09-29-2018), Rebel Yell (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:26 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default been rear ended SIX TIMES

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Check with your insurance company about "diminished value"
I am not exaggerating and I can't explain the "Car"ma but it is true; diminished value is a valid claim which I have made twice. Go on line
and you can find a calculation used in your state. Last time I used it was on my wife's Prius, did the math and contacted their insurance
company. They treated it as routine, we negotiated (I had calculated about 1000 bucks on my wife's Prius, he offered 600 hundred and we
settled on 800 bucks) and settled above and beyond the rear bumper repairs. An absolutely reasonable/routine claim in this day and age with Carfax and such.....good luck.
I was also rear ended in my 2007 C6 (the other person took off) and I didn't notice it but the exhaust system was slightly bent and ended up being replaced, but that was a C6...in this case, since it was my own company we agreed they would pay the difference in upgrading from the stock exhaust to a nice Corsa system.....

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 09-29-2018 at 05:29 PM.
ImpliedConsent (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Check to determine whether the rear bumper impacted the rear fender. Check for damage at the gap where the bumper and fender meet. Also check the gap between the passenger door and the right rear fender. Check the left side too. Also look for any changes in the contour of the right rear fender then check the gap around rear hatch and fenders in case the fenders were pushed up.

The next thing to do is get a new friend because this one is a bonehead.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 09-29-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:21 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Was there a police report written? If no then it will not show up on carfax? If yes then it will?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:41 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Was there a police report written? If no then it will not show up on carfax? If yes then it will?
Driven by insurance claims/report.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

All below for FWIW:

What I'd look for:
1) Remove all trunk interior trim and look for cracks.
2) Before repair is started, measure the wheel alignment and frame alignment.
3) Pay attention to axle position (Caster) as compared to the other three.
4) Inspect specifically door rear edge to quarter panel gap....both sides.
Also look to the front door to fender gap.
Also look to hatch back gaps.
5) Remove rear bumper cover look for cracks.
6) Check the targa top that it still removes & installs in the same smooth manner.
7) And on and on - visual ride height, alignments, steering wheel center position, body stress crack, floor etc.

Yes, you should claim diminished value as if insurance with shop repair...odds are you'll be Car Faxed at resale/ trade in.
My guess 32 hours shop labor.... one month in shop ….. this is only a guess.
Really sad to see, looked like it was a nice Vette.
OP please post your final outcome to let us all know.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:35 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
We called the non-emergency number, where it was explained that since: minor damage, no injuries, everyone has insurance, all parties present -- report it online within 72hrs (which we both did). Yeah, a big worry is the CarFax. Even though I probably will not keep it (daughter or C8), I don't know how many cars I passed up once I saw that "Accident Reported" line.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
We called the non-emergency number, where it was explained that since: minor damage, no injuries, everyone has insurance, all parties present -- report it online within 72hrs (which we both did). Yeah, a big worry is the CarFax. Even though I probably will not keep it (daughter or C8), I don't know how many cars I passed up once I saw that "Accident Reported" line.
Since it is minor, Use VinWiki to document the car and the minor damage.Will help in selling.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

The one thing I learned from my wife's minor accident...
First call an attorney, then get to the emergency room.
The next day, your attorney will sue for hundreds of thousands of dollars... And my insurance paid 6K.
God I hate scammers in our society!
Old 09-30-2018, 12:22 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
All below for FWIW: ...snip, ty... My guess 32 hours shop labor.... one month in shop ….. this is only a guess.
I'm sitting here, on a beautiful Sunday morning, wanting to watch football (Denver v KC is on #MNF... sigh... GO BRONCOS!) and all I can think about is the car. I walk out to the garage and it looks like my beauty queen was beat up. One month. ...gawd. I'm going to be so extremely picky on the repair (replace).
I'm gonna take all your suggestions, roll it up into a nice checklist. Another question: how do you make sure the hidden stuff is fixed? I don't plan on stalking the shop... or even visiting uninvited. Do I just go with the written ticket or do I make them show me? Sorry for all the questions - I've been in a couple minor no-fault accidents throughout my long, but boring, driving record, but this is my first in my first Corvette. It's pretty danged special to me.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:44 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I damaged my C6, my insurance company gave me list of bodyshop they have, then started googling who had the best reviews for repairs, and there was Ford Bodyshop had 98% rate, with happy customers.

I brought my car with lot of front end damage, they fixed it all in less then 10 days, and the paint work, you couldn't tell, they matched it perfectly.

So ask what shops that are on there list, then google them.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
OK, good. I'd heard about the antenna's, but wasn't sure what else. My coolers are not leaking. Bunch-o-cracked fiberglass (in the trunk too). So, since this is not a $1k Honda, I am learning about "Diminished Value" claims. I'm gonna do that. It was my intent to have this car as pristine as possible (2016, 4700mi) and either 1) give to my daughter upon graduating college ... or ... 2) use for upgrade to the C8 ME. Either way, I wasn't "planning" on keeping it, but I did plan on keeping it perfect.
You have cracked fiberglass inside the trunk? That should take a much harder hit than your picture shows. I just blasted mine into a tire wall at a fairly high speed and have a lot more damage (including the right rear wheel shoved forward about 2 inches) than your picture shows and I don't have any cracked fiberglass inside the trunk. From your picture your repair should be some bolt on parts and maybe some painting. So far that is what I have seen with mine, bolt on parts and paint. Even the wheel location can be fixed by replacing bolt on suspension parts. Can't do much about the people who over react and whine about accident damage other than drive the repaired car for 5 or 6 years afterwards then all of that stuff seems to be ignored. Look at all of those collectors that pay really big money for reconstructed 60s muscle cars that were smashed, rusted out and pretty much junk yard scrap until somebody decided to put them back together again.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Rear-Ended ... what to look for?

Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You have cracked fiberglass inside the trunk?
Not exactly in the trunk, but in the battery compartment. It's busted up and open to the elements now. Joy.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

That was a good MNF game last night.
ImpliedConsent (10-02-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 AM
darkLight
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I've heard from my repair shop if there is structural damage to the rear it could cost up to 25k. However, yours should not be anywhere near that.

Quick Reply: Rear-Ended ... what to look for?