Sponsored by:

Advice: New GS, first mods / dealer options

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Ravis22
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Advice: New GS, first mods / dealer options

Hi All... I'm in the market to buy a new Grand Sport. I'm looking to get any feedback from other owners on:

1.) Any extended warranties, wheel & tire warranties, etc., that you would recommend to actually get from a dealer when purchasing new?
2.) What were some of the first mods I should do (3M film, side skirts, etc.)? I've read a few posts about how bad rocks can be with the sticky tires..

Basically, wondering what you wish you knew right before you purchased your GS and immediately afterwards??

Many thanks!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:18 PM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-Corvette...EAAOSwjB9a1LyN
Old 10-02-2018, 01:38 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

The GS comes with side skirts, and you need them because the tires throw up rocks like crazy. You will also want to get front and rear splash guards, I would suggest getting the ACS ones as they offer the best protection. Put those on before you even drive the car.
The following users liked this post:
Ravis22 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM
DD04C5
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree with the installation of the ASC splash guards, and I would suggest that you get the tire and wheel warranty.
Ravis22 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:23 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Here are some things to consider:
  • I would wait for extended warranties until later. A search for Dennis Fletcher and/or extended warranties here will land you on many discussions about this. Dennis appears to sale to many here and to also have a positive reputation.
  • Get the car protected (PPF) if you are concerned with rock chips. Also, consider if you want to wax your car or have a modern ceramic coating applied.
  • Side rocker panels will greatly help protect rock chips on the side of the car. Highly recommended if you are purchasing a wide-body car.
  • You'll get better audio quality from a USB stick with music than from Bluetooth, i'd recommend this if you care. The USB port behind the Infotainment screen is a great place for this.
  • If you have a lead foot and travel on the interstate, you may consider a radar detector.
  • If you plan on cleaning your car yourself, invest in proper cleaning supplies.
  • Get a set of jacking pucks.
And most importantly, once you get your car, get out and drive/enjoy it. It'll put a smile on your face every time.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Here are several musts IMO:

Order the Stage 2 aero package as it come with full length carbon fiber side skirts. You can get them painted carbon flash or for $1000 more in visible CF.

As posters suggested and I got buy ACS front Splash Guards. With both the full length side skirts and ACS Splash Guards in 18 months do not have any marks on my rocker panels or the lower rear fender brake ducts many others report.

Buy Carbotech 1521 ceramic pads and install as soon as you get the car home. Easy to do or you will be cleaning your wheels of excess dust ever 150 to 200 miles. On my 2014 Z51 I waited 6months and if I did not clean the wheels that often the dust was pitting my black wheels. I find ~85% less dust and most important what is there does not pit the wheels. I wash the wheels now only when I wash the car.

The wide tires are susceptible to picking up nails. Many tire stores with not repair a flat if a nail is in the outer treads. With the GS rears that is like 3 inches outside and 2 1/2 inside. If you don’t want to spend the money for GM wheel/tire pancake suggest doing what I did. Bought tire only insurance form Discount Tire for ~$250. They will record info from the OEM tire. Fortunately I have not had to use mine, which like other insurance is a good thing!

I’ve added many more mods but the above are critical to do ASAP, IMO.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-02-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:41 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Order the Stage 2 aero package as it come with full length carbon fiber side skirts. You can get them painted carbon flash or for $1000 more in visible CF.

As posters suggested and I got buy ACS front Splash Guards. With both the full length side skirts and ACS Splash Guards in 18 months do not have any marks on my rocker panels or the lower rear fender brake ducts many others report.

Buy Carbotech 1521 ceramic pads and install as soon as you get the car home. Easy to do or you will be cleaning your wheels of excess dust ever 150 to 200 miles. On my 2014 Z51 I waited 6months and if I did not clean the wheels that often the dust was pitting my black wheels. I find ~85% less dust and most important what is there does not pit the wheels. I wash the wheels now only when I wash the car.

Range Tech if you got A8.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

If getting the A8 auto, purchase a Range Device which limits the AFM (keeps from shifting back and forward from V4 to V8).

Personally, I prefer the OEM GM splash guards as look better to my eye and and provide all protection needed when used in conjunction with side skirts.
By the way, make sure your dealer installs your GS side skirts as they come delivered separately to parts dept from factory and sometimes dealers don't install them.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
If getting the A8 auto, purchase a Range Device which limits the AFM (keeps from shifting back and forward from V4 to V8).

Personally, I prefer the OEM GM splash guards as look better to my eye and and provide all protection needed when used in conjunction with side skirts.
By the way, make sure your dealer installs your GS side skirts as they come delivered separately to parts dept from factory and sometimes dealers don't install them.
How do the OEM and ACS splash guards differ?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DD04C5
I agree with the installation of the ASC splash guards, and I would suggest that you get the tire and wheel warranty.
Good advice; Also, we opted for the ACS side skirts , because they are FULL LENGTH and are high quality and cost much less than the OEM stage II full length side skirts. We had them drop shipped to our dealer (with their approval) prior to car arrival from factory and had dealership install them instead of the 3/4 length version that came with our GS from factory. No extra charge from dealer since they install the OEM sideskirts separately as part of their car prep. If you wish you can sell the 3/4 length OEM side skirts separately and save some more $. We opted to give ours to our friend for his Stingray.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MMD

How do the OEM and ACS splash guards differ?
ACS are about 1/2 inch wider and deeper.
Ravis22 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Ravis22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Heidemarie
Good advice; Also, we opted for the ACS side skirts , because they are FULL LENGTH and are high quality and cost much less than the OEM stage II full length side skirts. We had them drop shipped to our dealer (with their approval) prior to car arrival from factory and had dealership install them instead of the 3/4 length version that came with our GS from factory. No extra charge from dealer since they install the OEM sideskirts separately as part of their car prep. If you wish you can sell the 3/4 length OEM side skirts separately and save some more $. We opted to give ours to our friend for his Stingray.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Hi Heidemarie... which ACS side skirts did you get? I found a couple different ones online...
Old 10-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Ravis22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

Thanks Kevin! So you just have the OEM side skirts? No issues with rock chipping or anything?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Ravis22
Instructor

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
Here are some things to consider:
  • I would wait for extended warranties until later. A search for Dennis Fletcher and/or extended warranties here will land you on many discussions about this. Dennis appears to sale to many here and to also have a positive reputation.
  • Get the car protected (PPF) if you are concerned with rock chips. Also, consider if you want to wax your car or have a modern ceramic coating applied.
  • Side rocker panels will greatly help protect rock chips on the side of the car. Highly recommended if you are purchasing a wide-body car.
  • You'll get better audio quality from a USB stick with music than from Bluetooth, i'd recommend this if you care. The USB port behind the Infotainment screen is a great place for this.
  • If you have a lead foot and travel on the interstate, you may consider a radar detector.
  • If you plan on cleaning your car yourself, invest in proper cleaning supplies.
  • Get a set of jacking pucks.
And most importantly, once you get your car, get out and drive/enjoy it. It'll put a smile on your face every time.
Appreciate the feedback. Others have mentioned the GS comes with side skirts, are you using the OEM ones or aftermarket ones?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Ravis22
Instructor

The wide tires are susceptible to picking up nails. Many tire stores with not repair a flat if a nail is in the outer treads. With the GS rears that is like 3 inches outside and 2 1/2 inside. If you don’t want to spend the money for GM wheel/tire pancake suggest doing what I did. Bought tire only insurance form Discount Tire for ~$250. They will record info from the OEM tire. Fortunately I have not had to use mine, which like other insurance is a good thing!

Thanks Jerry. Unfortunately, were I live right now, there are no Discount Tires nearby... might have to go with the warranty from the dealer. Will definitely look into the ceramic pads, great tip. Are you using the OEM side skirts with the ACS splash guards or did you also get the ACS side skirts, which others have mentioned are bigger than the OEM ones??
Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravis22
Hi Heidemarie... which ACS side skirts did you get? I found a couple different ones online...
We ordered them from RPI Designs Salem Ohio and gave "DON" (tel. 8882578515)
our GS info and told him we needed the carbon Flash to match our stripes and spoiler. Color match is perfect and bolt pattern matches the OEM on car, which is important. Side skirts were actually shipped from Montreal,Canada. Description:45-4-015 C7 Corvette Zero7 Z06 Style Side Skirts Rockers by ACS for Wide Body Grand Sport Car paited carbon flash metallic. Hope that helps. Look at my Avatar and you can see the design.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Jerry. Unfortunately, were I live right now, there are no Discount Tires nearby... might have to go with the warranty from the dealer. Will definitely look into the ceramic pads, great tip. Are you using the OEM side skirts with the ACS splash guards or did you also get the ACS side skirts, which others have mentioned are bigger than the OEM ones??
Firestone in our town, where I have other Vette tires fixed/changed, also offered the same insurance but it was ~$325. I would have probably got it from them if Discount Tire had not just opened in town as they cannot fix a flat in the outer tread by company policy. Has one in my C6 and that was the case. If any possible issues hitting pot hole. Wheel insurance mIight be with the cost.

I looked at getting aftermarket skirts and splitter from C7 Carbon as had their splitter on my 2014 Z51. Bought full length skirts for the 2014 from LG Motorsports but they were ~$1800. By the time I had them painted carbon flash it was all getting expensive and I’d have the OEM poverty splitter and 3/4 GM side skirts to sell and then had to drill and install myself. So I opted to buy the GM Stage 2 aero option that comes with carbon fiber full length side skirts and splitter. I got the less expensive painted carbon flash option that matches the spoiler that comes with that package with side extensions.

Watched as the dealer tech drilled the 13 holes per side and installed rivets. I added both the ACS front Splash Guards to it (and the GM rear Splash Guards as took those off my 2014 Z51 before I sold it. In fact had the GM front Splash Guards from my 2014 but followed the Forum advice and bought the ACS larger fron Guards as you need all the help you can get!)

I also bought aftermarket Stage 3 winglets for the splitter that combined with the ACS front Splash help integrate the look of the spates, IMO.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-04-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice: New GS, first mods / dealer options

Old 10-07-2018, 02:04 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Appreciate the feedback. Others have mentioned the GS comes with side skirts, are you using the OEM ones or aftermarket ones?
OEM 3/4 that came with the car. I have Suntek Ultra PPF on the the lower rear (and full front) where the air ducts are to help prevent damage.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Firestone in our town, where I have other Vette tires fixed/changed, also offered the same insurance but it was ~$325. I would have probably got it from them if Discount Tire had not just opened in town as they cannot fix a flat in the outer tread by company policy. Has one in my C6 and that was the case. If any possible issues hitting pot hole. Wheel insurance mIight be with the cost.

I looked at getting aftermarket skirts and splitter from C7 Carbon as had their splitter on my 2014 Z51. Bought full length skirts for the 2014 from LG Motorsports but they were ~$1800. By the time I had them painted carbon flash it was all getting expensive and I’d have the OEM poverty splitter and 3/4 GM side skirts to sell and then had to drill and install myself. So I opted to buy the GM Stage 2 aero option that comes with carbon fiber full length side skirts and splitter. I got the less expensive painted carbon flash option that matches the spoiler that comes with that package with side extensions.

Watched as the dealer tech drilled the 13 holes per side and installed rivets. I added both the ACS front Splash Guards to it (and the GM rear Splash Guards as took those off my 2014 Z51 before I sold it. In fact had the GM front Splash Guards from my 2014 but followed the Forum advice and bought the ACS larger fron Guards as you need all the help you can get!)

I also bought aftermarket Stage 3 winglets for the splitter that combined with the ACS front Splash help integrate the look of the spates, IMO.
anyone got a Pic handy of a GS or Z with the ACS splash guards on?

Last edited by Parcival; 10-07-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Parcival

anyone got a Pic handy of a GS or Z with the ACS splash guards on?
ACS front, GM rear Splash guards

Quick Reply: Advice: New GS, first mods / dealer options