Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving your Vette

Old 10-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Baltimoron
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Daily driving your Vette

I've come to the sad realization that I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on buying a C7 unless it's daily driven. My original plan was going to be to keep it as a weekend and nice weather toy, but I just can't justify the cost unless I'm going to use it extensively. I know there are lots of people that DD these cars, but are there any of you that do it in cooler climates? I live in the mid Atlantic, where snow is generally minimal, but we do have cold spells. Also, if daily driven, it's going to see a lot of miles on the DC beltway. thanks for the insight!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I bought my 2014 vert in April of 2014. I live in western Colorado. It's my daily driver unless there is snow or ice on the roads. I have A/S tires and have driven in temps below zero with no problems at all. Right now it's outside my office window and it's raining. It's a Chevy, it's made to be driven.
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:02 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Baltimoron
I've come to the sad realization that I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on buying a C7 unless it's daily driven. My original plan was going to be to keep it as a weekend and nice weather toy, but I just can't justify the cost unless I'm going to use it extensively. I know there are lots of people that DD these cars, but are there any of you that do it in cooler climates? I live in the mid Atlantic, where snow is generally minimal, but we do have cold spells. Also, if daily driven, it's going to see a lot of miles on the DC beltway. thanks for the insight!
Justifying the cost of a Corvette is no reason to not buy one unless you simply can’t financially afford it. If you have a passion for a C7 Corvette and can afford it, who cares if it is a daily driver or not. When you are on your deathbed are you going to say I am so glad I never got a Corvette? Life is short.

Last edited by KCV; 10-02-2018 at 06:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KCV:
davefreeman (10-02-2018), Kevin A Jones (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV

Justifying the cost of a Corvette is no reason to not buy one unless you simply can’t financially afford it. If you have a passion for a C7 Corvette and can afford it, who cares if it is a daily driver or not. When you are on your deathbed are you going to say I am so glad I never got a Corvette? Life is short.
Perfectly put KCV. There is a mix of all sorts of vette people here. From hard core daily drivers to waxers to sunny day drivers like me to track rats. We all bought one and did our thing. Get one and be good to yourself. I love mine. It's much better than I ever could have imagined.
jimmac99 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I DD my '17 GS in NY/NJ/LI from march until november.

Just get the car and drive.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I drive mine daily as long as weather permits. No rain and temps above 40 since I still have the Cup 2s. Got over 8k miles in the last year. If I lived in a dryer and warmer climate there is no doubt I’d have more. I’ve put nearly 20k on my truck in the same time frame.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

I would advise you to do the same as I did my 370Z (sold today, as a matter of fact) with its summer tires: I drove it during the winder (Atlanta) but not on really cold days. And I waited many days after the roads were brined for ice or snow (usually till rain washed the roads off). And for my summer tires, I just didn't drive aggressively. Drove like a nun. LOL.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

If you are willing to put all season tires on it you will be able to use it most of the year in the mid-Atlantic as a daily driver. It still won't work well in snow and ice, so you will need some other form or transportation. A better plan might be to use it when it is nicer out - say from mid-March until about Christmas as a daily driver, which will allow you to keep the PSS tires and then have an inexpensive second car for those other days.
itaylorm (10-04-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Ron Sjostrom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

We live in Central IL and this year we are migrating from Harley Davidson's to our very first Corvette Convertible. We drive it like we ride the Harley.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm just south of you in south-west MD and commute into DC nearly every day in the C7. Purchased in late November last year and just past 8k miles (I travel for work a good bit so it's parked then) and is an excellent near-everyday daily driver.

I opted for the A8 specifically because I wanted to drive it regularly and the traffic (as you are likely well aware of) can be brutal. My Z06 (convertible no less) doesn't have the Z07 package so no Cup tires and the MPSS tires have held up very well so far. The car handles surprisingly well in the rain, much better than I actually expected. The tires will be a little slippery in temps below 40 but didn't deter me last winter, just took it easy for the 1st 10 miles or so (even in below freezing) to build some heat in them. When these tires need to be replaced, the A/S 3+ ZP tires are now available in all sizes and will go on. Had them on the previous C6 and were excellent. If any snow comes or is in the forecast, will take the wife's FWD car or my truck. In heavy rain, I will take the truck but that's actually more due to my OCD nature and having to wash it after the fact!

Bottom line is I bought this car to drive and enjoy as often as possible and so far, it has not disappointed!

Allen
jimmac99 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:23 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I daily drive my 2014 that I bought new in November, 2013. I couldn’t drive anything else. Makes going to work a thrill and leaving work even better.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,751 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I Daily Drive my Stingray as much as possible. What I don't want to do is drive it in snow or bad weather. All the guys have said it best....get the car if you want the car. Life is short!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 853 Likes on 394 Posts

Daily drive mine 12 months a year in Western PA.. If snow accumulation is over three inches, I'll let it sit in the garage until the roads have been cleared, (none of my vehicles go out on ice). Michelin PS AS 3+ ZPs, "Weather Mode" and common driving sense work just fine.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Cincinnati area here. I put snow tires on mine from December to mid-March. Car does fine, so long as there's less than about 3" of snow on the road. There is an extra expense of obtaining a second set of wheels and tires, and the X-pel I use to help protect the front from road debris, but at the end of the day, it's a Chevy.

I should also add mine is a manual. I feel more comfortable knowing how much torque multiplication I'm going to get from the transmission when I put pressure on the accelerator. One never really knows with an automatic what exactly it's going to do.

Last edited by UsernameProtected; 10-02-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:53 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Go check the ZR1 forum.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 318 Posts

I agree with most here... drive it!!! If there is a reason I don't drive it when it's raining it's not because I'm afraid it's going to rust and fall apart it's because I don't want to take the time to clean it when it's already nice and clean. I'll wait a day or two until the weather clears up. At 63 years old buying my new Vette I'm not going to let it sit in the garage because I don't want to put miles on it. I'm retired now and I'm going to drive it as much as possible and now have the time to keep it looking good while doing so.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I drive my 2015 all year except for snow or if the city puts that brine crap on the roads. I will wait for a rain to wash that away. I have Continental DWS06 all weather tires on. I live in Hampton VA on the coast we do get some snow and a cold snap or two over the winter

Get notified of new replies

To Daily driving your Vette

Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,544 Likes on 5,536 Posts

If you want one, buy it. I'm sure you work hard for your $$ just like most of us, so enjoy it. Life's much too short to have to justify your purchase.
Besides, it's a FUN car, not very practical to drive everyday anyway. That's coming from someone who loves Corvettes and have had them my entire adult life.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I am just a couple hundred miles short of a hundred thousand.

Mid Atlantic region. So. Md. to be specific.

What was the question?
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
4thC4at60 (10-05-2018), Bavaria (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 518 Posts

I live in SE VA. Some snow and some crappy salt days but for the most part decent weather. I have daily driven all my Vettes. They will gain some battle scars some here may freak over but they are just production cars and it’s no big deal. Only no go for me is snow.

I made 160k miles on my 01 z06, 80k miles on my base 2012 C6 and just got my z51 C7 so let the games begin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily driving your Vette