Sponsored by:

NPP Z06 to stingray conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:09 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Default NPP Z06 to stingray conversion

Anyone know what it takes to put a Z06 NPP cat back(with actuators) on a Stingray that never had the NPP option?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Anyone know what it takes to put a Z06 NPP cat back(with actuators) on a Stingray that never had the NPP option?
I'm reviving this question because I am doing the same thing. I purchased a used NPP and am ready to dump the stock exhaust. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have researched...

I got a used exhaust from a GS, not a Z06. The difference being that a Z06 exhaust doesn't have the Active Fuel Management (AFM) valves since Z06's never go into 4-cyl mode. Putting a Z06 exhaust on a non-Z06 car presents some issues...
You would have to tie your AFM actuators out of the way since there are no valves to hook them up to. However, AFM actuators turning in space without spring resistance may throw a CEL. Also, you may have drivability problems if your car ever goes into 4-cyl mode, since the purpose of the AFM valves is to reduce flow to maintain exhaust pressure with only half the combustion going on, so again, you may get a CEL. I suppose you can also just never go into 4-cyl mode (easy to achieve with M7's, harder with A8's.).

Simplify your life and make sure you buy a used NPP off a base, Z51 or GS only, not a Z06. Also, any NPP exhaust you pick up used, the original owner probably kept the NPP actuators for his Corsa's or whatever, but that's no biggie since there is no NPP wiring or programming on your car anyways, just AFM wiring. NPP valves spring open by default, so not having the NPP actuators is like pulling the fuse on NPP-equipped cars.., open all the time, and loud. Good to go.

Non-Z06 performance exhaust has 4 actuators (2 x NPP, 2 x AFM).

Z06 exhaust has just 2 NPP actuators..

Quick Reply: NPP Z06 to stingray conversion