Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cracked. Replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:48 PM
RiCorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 73 Posts

I just dropped off my 17 GS at Penske Cerritos, CA for the same problem; the crack is in the upper right corner from A Pillar to Roof but didn't seem to be from any strikes - more like an internal stress crack that I've seen in other posts and google searches.

Interestingly Penske rejected the Crack as a warranty issue but will replace it due to delamination at the roof line. Whatever - I'm getting a new windshield under warranty. (Score!)

Side bar: Any SoCal folk here have dealings with Penske Cerritos? Particularly Windshield replacement - are they GTG?

Last edited by RiCorvette; 10-16-2018 at 10:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KConv
HUD reflects the image off the windshield. There are 2 reflective surfaces - the inside (facing the driver) and the inside face of the outer lite where the 2 sheets of glass are laminated together.
In some cases, the two images can reflect and be slightly out of phase creating 2 images that are not the same and the reflection can look fuzzy.
(i.e. Parallax)
HUD windshields add a non reflective clear coating to the #3 surface (inside surface of the outside lite) creating a situation where you only see one image, without distortion.
The added cost is to coat one surface of one lite.
There is no coating on a HUD windshield , the difference is in the plastic inter layer
Read my posts in the C6 forums for a complete explanation of what a HUD inter layer is and what it does
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598172074

Disclaimer, I make a mention that you can replace a HUD with a non HUD in C6 , this statement cannot be guaranteed to work in a C7 because of where the image is projected on the glass in a C7

Also as I mention in the C6 forums , no need to have an OEM ... AGC is the manufacturer of the C7 glass and there is absolutely no difference in the GM branded AGC glass and the aftermarket AGC glass except the cost , the GM Trademark will cost you $500.00 more .

Both parts are bent on the same line with the same tooling and furnaces , the only difference is the silk screening , one has the GM logo and one does not ......
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 10-16-2018 at 11:13 PM.
JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 PM
littlewinepress
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette ED, just noticed that my C7 2015 Z06 windshield is cracked in the upper left (driver's) side corner. The crack in within the glass sandwich and looks to have started underneath the frame/molding and returns there as well. Crack is about 4" long. The car is now out of the three year warranty. This appears to be some form of stress crack or pinch crack because there is no evidence of any surface impact on the exterior layer of the glass. And the crack happened while the car was in storage under a cover for the past several months. I washed it just before I put it away and I am certain that it was not cracked before. Car has only 2100 miles on it. Is there some evidence that these have some history of cracking on their own? I guess I will see what the dealer has to say on it.
JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

There is a TSB out for stress cracking if it is a true stress crack with no point of impact

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
jimmie jam (10-26-2018), JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When we needed a new windshield on our C6, ($0 ded Comprehensive) I told the shop I wanted OEM. They said the insurance would only pay for aftermarket on a car 8 years old, so I asked the guy how much I would have to make up to get OEM.
He checked and came back with a price difference of $0- OEM and aftermarket were the same price.
Worth asking.
JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:43 PM
littlewinepress
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Dcasole
There is a TSB out for stress cracking if it is a true stress crack with no point of impact

Dave
Thanks. Knowing there is a TSB will help me with the dealer since the car is just out off warranty
JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:45 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

same good experience here with safelight
JustWheels (10-24-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks guys. I just got a rock hit yesterday. 10 months old GS. Pisser is that I wasn't even going my usual 80-90 mph on the freeway. Only about 60. The hit only has a few spiders that are only about 1/2 inch radiating out, so not as big as some other folks' cracks, but of course could spread over time. I'll use the advice here to get OEM glass (HUD and PDR good reasons for the insurance company). But I mostly learned to use Safelite. Hadn't even heard of them! This forum NEVER ceases to amaze me.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:30 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

[Also posted in another thread for max coverage. Going in to the shop tomorrow.]

Ok so now all the "defect" posts have me concerned. I have a small rock chip as you can see. Whether they replace it or I have it repaired, it will cost me $100. I always am opposed to removing things like dashboards and parts that will rattle, etc. when replaced, but members here say there are none of these issues with replacing windshields. But now I'm concerned about SOMEthing happening down the road as was happening to those with defects. Is it due to the glass itself that no longer is a problem, or the mounting? This is a '17 GS.
So, help: Given the choice at the same price, should I just have them fill it? They told me I "may" be able to see the repair but it would be very slight. This is in my line-of-site.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:05 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
[Also posted in another thread for max coverage. Going in to the shop tomorrow.]

Ok so now all the "defect" posts have me concerned. I have a small rock chip as you can see. Whether they replace it or I have it repaired, it will cost me $100. I always am opposed to removing things like dashboards and parts that will rattle, etc. when replaced, but members here say there are none of these issues with replacing windshields. But now I'm concerned about SOMEthing happening down the road as was happening to those with defects. Is it due to the glass itself that no longer is a problem, or the mounting? This is a '17 GS.
So, help: Given the choice at the same price, should I just have them fill it? They told me I "may" be able to see the repair but it would be very slight. This is in my line-of-site.
Replace. You WILL see the repair and it will not last forever....
IAIA (10-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IAIA

Replace it , a C7 is a straight forward install no harder than any other car . Nothing special about it and as long as you go to a reputable company that adhesive quality and strength will be the same as the factory set

Dave
IAIA (10-27-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 07:41 PM
littlewinepress
7th Gear

Dealer told me there is no TSB on the C7. Chevrolet customer service also shot it down. They told me windshield was only warrantied for one year per the exceptions in the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Don't ya just love spending $90K on a car and having this stuff come up?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by littlewinepress
Dealer told me there is no TSB on the C7. Chevrolet customer service also shot it down. They told me windshield was only warrantied for one year per the exceptions in the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Don't ya just love spending $90K on a car and having this stuff come up?
if your windshield stress cracked or has Lamination separation on the top both were caused by the lack of proper edge grinding it is covered .....call the zone..

now if it's not a stress crack .....all bets are off

Dave
Old 10-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

My advice on replacement is to get it replaced
IAIA (10-29-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
My advice on replacement is to get it replaced

Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Replaced. Perfect job at Safelite. Only thing was the glue/cleaning fluid stunk up the car like skunk, but that passed after about 24-36 hours. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:41 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

My 14 needed a windshield. I called safelight and they advised they had not replaced a C7 windshield yet but they would watch a video on it before they did the job. I declined, called the chevy dealer and they told me who they used and I called them. BUT the first windshield they brought to the house had a "scuff" mark on the glass so they came back another day with a good one and replaced it.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked. Replacement advice