Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a nice dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Two service writers, countermen . One has been there a long time. The other not as long, Didn’t argue, repeated what he said when he said go back to the dealer. Called GM, explained what happen, got a case number. If nothing happens . I’ll take care of it myself, we’ll see. It’s just sad. Didn’t want anything under the table. Just wanted them to look and give me their opinion. That’s all.

Last edited by Anthony s; 10-09-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dyoung
There was someone from New York on here awhile ago with the same problem. Maybe it's a New York "thing"...I would find another dealer for all my business.
It may seem like it's a "New York" thing because that's what we've read in others who posted complaints in and around NY. And most cities no longer have dealers within the very built-up, inner neighborhoods.* Being on Long Island like the OP and his dealer are, it's a little different. His is just a dealer who's being spiteful and getting back at a current customer for not buying the Corvette at his/her shop.

*If you've ever been to the five boroughs of New York, there are still lots of dealers there, right in the heart of row houses, tall apartment buildings, single family homes, stores, shops, etc. Long way of saying, they are "land locked"---they can't expand their 4-bay service area, or their 1,000 sq. foot showroom. The only way they can do it is to buy stores, garages, warehouses, etc. 2, 3, 4 blocks away, or farther. Even then, it's at a very big premium. So, many dealers refuse to work on cars that weren't purchased there, and it is justifiable if you think about it. Many dealers have been there since before WW2, that means over 70 years ago, and still going strong. Their customers are sometimes third or even fourth generation owners and walk from the dealer for service. Being within a residential area unlike on a strip along the interstate, they can't even work late into the night which some suburban dealers near me do all the time. They make a good living, but it's a tough balancing act to remain where they are.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I havent had a problem at my dealer here They have serviced several Chevy/GM cars and 2 Corvettes not bought there. I have also bought several cars there too. Always treated good and no problems
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you want to pursue the situation, I would contact GM about the way that you were treated at this dealership, believe me, it works
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by dyoung
There was someone from New York on here awhile ago with the same problem. Maybe it's a New York "thing"...I would find another dealer for all my business.
Originally Posted by AORoads
It may seem like it's a "New York" thing because that's what we've read in others who posted complaints in and around NY. And most cities no longer have dealers within the very built-up, inner neighborhoods.* Being on Long Island like the OP and his dealer are, it's a little different. His is just a dealer who's being spiteful and getting back at a current customer for not buying the Corvette at his/her shop.
It is a Long Island thing - they are unhappy most people here buy their Corvettes from Kerbeck or MacMulkin for a good discount (currently 13-15%) instead of paying MSRP for an ordered car or maybe as much as $2,000 off MSRP for something sitting in stock, which is what all the local crooks (dealers) here are still charging.
There are 10 Chevrolet dealerships on Long Island - East Hills Chevrolet of Freeport (formerly Paul Conte), Robert Chevrolet in Hicksville, Arnold Chevrolet Buick in West Babylon, Bical Chevrolet of Valley Stream, Atlantic Chevrolet Cadillac in Bay Shore, East Hills Chevrolet of Roslyn, Chevrolet of Huntington in Dix Hills, Chevrolet of Smithtown in St James, Chevrolet 112 in Medford, and Eagle Chevrolet in Riverhead.
As far as I know, only the two East Hills dealerships, and Smithtown Chevy will service Corvettes they didn't sell. East Hills Auto Group bought three Chevy dealerships in NY fairly recently to add to the other brands they have, so they seem to be less inclined to **** off potential future customers. To be fair, I have become pretty anti-GM because of the inability to get my last 6 Corvettes serviced since buying my first C5 at Kerbeck. I have, on principal, refused to buy or lease a non-Corvette GM vehicle since 1999, which is now 16 cars/suvs ago, with 2 more coming in the next 7 months.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony s
Two service writers, countermen . One has been there a long time. The other not as long, Didn’t argue, repeated what he said when he said go back to the dealer. Called GM, explained what happen, got a case number.
This dealer's in violation of their franchise agreement w/ GM, Owner's Manual clearly states for issues take care to any GM dealership.
What're GM's owners transplanted to NY/NYC to do?
GM had better damned well respond, and w/more than gobbledegook.
OTOH given this dealer's attitude if they did accept it they'd have a sore *** after Chev had a come-to-Jesus w/ 'em.
Is this dealer the one you'd want to use now or going forward?

Aside from that I simply cannot understand a dealer, any dealer, turning away service/warranty work.
SD's are profit centers at any dealership for covered or noncovered repairs + parts.
I know several dealer-owners, their sales & service are run as 2 separate businesses under one roof w/ each scratching for the consumer's $.

ONLY exception I recall happening, a NYC w/ a dealer (Freeway?) who apparently came-up w/ a work-around the franchise agreement.
This dealer said vehicles they sold had priority re service.
They'd put you on bottom of list and in NYC, it'd probably be some serious time.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
It is a Long Island thing - they are unhappy most people here buy their Corvettes from Kerbeck or MacMulkin for a good discount (currently 13-15%) instead of paying MSRP for an ordered car or maybe as much as $2,000 off MSRP for something sitting in stock, which is what all the local crooks (dealers) here are still charging.
There are 10 Chevrolet dealerships on Long Island - East Hills Chevrolet of Freeport (formerly Paul Conte), Robert Chevrolet in Hicksville, Arnold Chevrolet Buick in West Babylon, Bical Chevrolet of Valley Stream, Atlantic Chevrolet Cadillac in Bay Shore, East Hills Chevrolet of Roslyn, Chevrolet of Huntington in Dix Hills, Chevrolet of Smithtown in St James, Chevrolet 112 in Medford, and Eagle Chevrolet in Riverhead.
As far as I know, only the two East Hills dealerships, and Smithtown Chevy will service Corvettes they didn't sell. East Hills Auto Group bought three Chevy dealerships in NY fairly recently to add to the other brands they have, so they seem to be less inclined to **** off potential future customers. To be fair, I have become pretty anti-GM because of the inability to get my last 6 Corvettes serviced since buying my first C5 at Kerbeck. I have, on principal, refused to buy or lease a non-Corvette GM vehicle since 1999, which is now 16 cars/suvs ago, with 2 more coming in the next 7 months.

There was a big vette dealer out by port jeff at one point, Ramp?, they wouldn't service them either, they're now out of business (karma?)

East Hills is/was always good.

The Long Island dealerships need to realize that if they budged off of MSRP and stopped putting dealer markups on Vettes that people, other than the morons that pay msrp and dealer markups, would buy a corvette from them.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
There was a big vette dealer out by port jeff at one point, Ramp?, they wouldn't service them either, they're now out of business (karma?)
That's it, Ramp Chevrolet...who are OOB.
Missed service work c/would've added to their bottom line & at least slowed their demise.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by proexpert
I bought a 2004 form Kerbeck. My local dealer would not service the car. They sued Kerbeck around the same time because we are close to Carlisle and Kerbeck was at the show selling cars in the "local territory".

Where is that guy that was telling me in the other thread that this never happens?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,047 Posts

QUOTE: Maybe Robert Chevrolet does not have a corvette tech on board as a result of not selling any vettes and does not want to get involved with servicing vettes. Regardless they could have handled the situation in a much better manner.

I looked on their website and they have Corvettes for sale including a ZR-1 so they are obviously in the Corvette-selling business

Last edited by Bob Paris; 10-10-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
In all reality, what would you expect GM to do about it? Each dealer holds a Sales & Service Agreement that represents a very sizable investment. The process to cancel such an agreement by the manufacturer is very complex and governed by both State and Federal Laws. It certainly will not happen because the dealer refused service to a random Corvette owner. The legal procedures would be epic.

As a dealer, I did not condone refusing service. You gain nothing by doing so. On the other hand I have done it. You run into extremely obnoxious owners, customers with unreasonable demands, and customers who want to walk through your store telling everyone how they got a better price somewhere else and bought it there all the while waiting for their car to be serviced. As a customer, I would certainly not want my vehicle worked on by someone the factory had to convince to do so.
I'm sure GM has ways to get dealerships to do what they want, and I would think GM would want their dealers to service their customers cars regardless of where they bought them. That is why I suggested to the OP to contact GM. And I don't know how GM would react, which is why I also said to see what GM says.

Now in my experience with dealing with car companies, I would bet that GM wouldn't do much outside of lip service, which is a shame. I'm certainly not suggesting that GM would end an agreement with a dealership over something like this, not sure how you made that leap...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Landru
This dealer's in violation of their franchise agreement w/ GM, Owner's Manual clearly states for issues take care to any GM dealership.
What're GM's owners transplanted to NY/NYC to do?
OTOH given this dealer's attitude if they did accept it they'd have a sore *** after Chev had a come-to-Jesus w/ 'em.
Is this dealer the one you'd want to use now or going forward?

Aside from that I simply cannot understand a dealer, any dealer, turning away service/warranty work.
SD's are profit centers at any dealership for covered or noncovered repairs + parts.
I know several dealer-owners, their sales & service are run as 2 separate businesses under one roof w/ each scratching for the consumer's $.

ONLY exception I recall happening, a NYC w/ a dealer (Freeway?) who apparently came-up w/ a work-around the franchise agreement.
This dealer said vehicles they sold had priority re service.
They'd put you on bottom of list and in NYC, it'd probably be some serious time.
Service work is profitable - when dealers do this its just pride/bad attitude - the dealership is probably doing so well that they can turn away business, so if you **** off the dealer by not buying from them, they pull this kind of thing. But like you see in the other post, when GM calls them on it, they pretend they didn't do it because they're too chickenshit to back up their bad attitude and claim the customer is making it up.

I didn't want to deal with this so I found a decent dealership and ordered through them to make sure I had a good relationship so I could feel good about getting my car serviced there. You SHOULDN'T have to do that though, because if you buy a car from GM then you should be able to get your car serviced at any GM dealership, the idea that GM and it's dealerships are completely different entities is complete horseshit - it's just a legal maneuver by car companies to create an extra layer of protection from potential legal issues.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I'm sure GM has ways to get dealerships to do what they want, and I would think GM would want their dealers to service their customers cars regardless of where they bought them. That is why I suggested to the OP to contact GM. And I don't know how GM would react, which is why I also said to see what GM says.

Now in my experience with dealing with car companies, I would bet that GM wouldn't do much outside of lip service, which is a shame. I'm certainly not suggesting that GM would end an agreement with a dealership over something like this, not sure how you made that leap...
I honestly made that leap because to the dealer it is what is important. I have been on the dealer end of that conversation and have agreed to actually offer to someone service if they would act properly and I have also told the rep to politely pound sand. The amount of service work one owner represents is inconsequential when compared to the whole and simply not worth the grief some customers represent.

Again, I do not at all agree to not working on cars not sold as a blanket policy. It is counterproductive to the dealers objectives and is in my opinion a short-sighted policy. There does though come a time when that decision does make sense on a case by case basis and I don't think any of us can pass judgement in all reported cases without being there.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Service work is profitable - when dealers do this its just pride/bad attitude - the dealership is probably doing so well that they can turn away business, so if you **** off the dealer by not buying from them, they pull this kind of thing. But like you see in the other post, when GM calls them on it, they pretend they didn't do it because they're too chickenshit to back up their bad attitude and claim the customer is making it up.

I didn't want to deal with this so I found a decent dealership and ordered through them to make sure I had a good relationship so I could feel good about getting my car serviced there. You SHOULDN'T have to do that though, because if you buy a car from GM then you should be able to get your car serviced at any GM dealership, the idea that GM and it's dealerships are completely different entities is complete horseshit - it's just a legal maneuver by car companies to create an extra layer of protection from potential legal issues.

That last paragraph is so far out of round as to be laughable. When you are the guy who is signed on to guarantee millions of dollars, all of your own responsibility, you know quickly you could care less about GM's liability and more about your own survival and pocketbook. There are so many reasons for the dealership model that a book could be written about it. Far more knowledge than is going to conveyed on this forum.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

go to another dealer and move on w/your life buddy...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
That last paragraph is so far out of round as to be laughable. When you are the guy who is signed on to guarantee millions of dollars, all of your own responsibility, you know quickly you could care less about GM's liability and more about your own survival and pocketbook. There are so many reasons for the dealership model that a book could be written about it. Far more knowledge than is going to conveyed on this forum.
For those of us familiar with your posting history, you are the perfect example of dealers with horrible attitudes and reason for us to believe that the OP is blameless in terms of being unfairly turned away for service from this dealership - its most likely the result of a butt-hurt dealer who only refuses to service this guys vette because he had the audacity to buy from someone else.

And this speaks to my point about the ridiculous situation where the car company is allowed to distance itself from their product and liabilities with the dealership model. Because of this broken system, even though a customer should be able to get their car serviced at any GM dealership, GM can say, 'well we're not denying you service, the dealership is..." which again, is freaking nonsense. GM should be held responsible for ensuring that their customers are covered at any dealership - I fully understand that legally they can dodge that responsibility because they used their money and power to create this ridiculous dealership/car company 'relationship', I'm just stating that the situation is broken and should be fixed.

I'm not expecting that a former dealer like yourself who worked the situation to his advantage would agree with me...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:49 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by iw172
go to another dealer and move on w/your life buddy...
And if none of his local dealers will service his car, then what?

Get notified of new replies

To Not a nice dealership!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Or what, exactly?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

And if none of his local dealers will service his car, then what?
looks like a roadtrip to where he bought it...
Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

For those of us familiar with your posting history, you are the perfect example of dealers with horrible attitudes and reason for us to believe that the OP is blameless in terms of being unfairly turned away for service from this dealership - its most likely the result of a butt-hurt dealer who only refuses to service this guys vette because he had the audacity to buy from someone else.

And this speaks to my point about the ridiculous situation where the car company is allowed to distance itself from their product and liabilities with the dealership model. Because of this broken system, even though a customer should be able to get their car serviced at any GM dealership, GM can say, 'well we're not denying you service, the dealership is..." which again, is freaking nonsense. GM should be held responsible for ensuring that their customers are covered at any dealership - I fully understand that legally they can dodge that responsibility because they used their money and power to create this ridiculous dealership/car company 'relationship', I'm just stating that the situation is broken and should be fixed.

I'm not expecting that a former dealer like yourself who worked the situation to his advantage would agree with me...
Obviously you do not read what I write. I have stated multiple times I agree that the dealer should service the cars presented regardless of origin. The exception is when the consumer acts like a total jerk and gives the dealer cause to refuse. Since you are so hung up on this topic, were you one of those or are you simply upset because the dealers may be having more fun than you?

Quick Reply: Not a nice dealership!