Sponsored by:

I hate the "Time Based" Oil Life Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Your post proves your inability to think for yourself. 100% synthetic oil with 0 miles on it, isn't worn out on Day #366, any more than it was still good at Day #365. That's just nutzo!
What's nuts is that no one on this thread, or any other one that I can recall, says it magically goes bad on day 366. You are the only one even implying that. What people keep telling you is that if ever have an engine failure while under warranty, you better have records that prove you have complied with GM's requirement of changing your oil when the OLM tells you to, or at a minimum once a year.

This does not mean the dealer has to change the oil; it could be any service dept, or yourself. As long as you have receipts that show Dexos-approved oil at or around the 0% or one-year-mark, you are compliant.

Whether anyone approves or thinks GM's requirements are bunk is immaterial as long as you are under warranty.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:02 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Anybody who still has a warranty( NOT ME!) would be foolish to ignore the OLM.

IF you ever would have an engine related failure, not being able to prove you complied with GM's requirements to do so, may be a deal-breaker.

Ignore at your own risk.
I'm trying to remember in the last decade+ when I saw a thread on "my engine just blew up" and GM denied warranty because I didn't change the oil in twelve months but did after thirteen months+-.
The following users liked this post:
Bavaria (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 07:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Methinks you didn't read what I actually posted.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 PM
04TRCorvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of makes sense. If you let your car set for a year it would have been the full 12 months. But you drove for 3000 miles so chopped off a month so it was 11 months. I imagine they are being conservatives on the calculation of oil life. Better to change a little early then let bad oil running through the engine. And time can degrade oil. lol not sure how much though or important it actually is.

Last edited by 04TRCorvette; 10-13-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I'm trying to remember in the last decade+ when I saw a thread on "my engine just blew up" and GM denied warranty because I didn't change the oil in twelve months but did after thirteen months+-.
I don't recall seeing any threads like that, but people who fail to comply with the warranty requirements and then get stuck with the repair bill, usually don't brag about it.

"Absence of proof is not proof of absence."
Old 10-13-2018, 08:33 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does anyone know if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery resets the OLM? I'm trying to figure out how long the oil has been in my 2017 that I just got. The car has been around almost 2 years and has had a couple new batteries. After 2500 miles the OLM is at 65%. If the meter is time sensitive I would think it would be telling me to change the oil by now. Pretty sure the dealer never did in the 2 years he was sitting on it.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Just changing the battery isn't going to affect the OLM.

If you remove the battery long-term???? I don't think anyone has posted here about that. I'm assuming you have your service records, so a 7000 mile (or one year) gap between oil changes is surely going to satisfy everyone.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't recall seeing any threads like that, but people who fail to comply with the warranty requirements and then get stuck with the repair bill, usually don't brag about it.

"Absence of proof is not proof of absence."
However, I don't think those failing to comply with the OLM, as I eventually will, will be eliminated from 'warranty requirements' if problems with the electrical systems, transmission, differential, etc. occur.
As I previously posted, in well over 50 years of owning dozens of cars, I never had one that exhibited an oil related issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bavaria
However, I don't think those failing to comply with the OLM, as I eventually will, will be eliminated from 'warranty requirements' if problems with the electrical systems, transmission, differential, etc. occur.
As I previously posted, in well over 50 years of owning dozens of cars, I never had one that exhibited an oil related issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bavaria
This thread is about possible engine-oil related warranty issues. Nothing else.

I give up.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (10-14-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Does anyone know if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery resets the OLM? I'm trying to figure out how long the oil has been in my 2017 that I just got. The car has been around almost 2 years and has had a couple new batteries. After 2500 miles the OLM is at 65%. If the meter is time sensitive I would think it would be telling me to change the oil by now. Pretty sure the dealer never did in the 2 years he was sitting on it.
If a dealer has a car sitting on it's lot for a long time and then finally sells it, I'm pretty sure they are going to reset the OLM to zero so that the new owner doesn't drive off the lot and then get a change oil message a week later. Your car doesn't magically have an OLM that is ignoring the one year time interval. They will all hit zero at or before the one year mark since the last reset point, no matter what.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That's exactly right. Even though a car sitting on a dealer lot for a year should ideally have the oil changed and the OLM will be at 0%, dealers don't have to worry about warranty denials. The B2B warranty starts from the day a car is sold to it's first new registered owner. Thus, most just reset them.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:37 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Does the vehicle record you resetting the OLM? And I asked before, does the OLM start showing negative numbers once it hits 0%?
Old 10-14-2018, 02:20 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
people who fail to comply with the warranty requirements and then get stuck with the repair bill, usually don't brag about it.
Of course they would not brag about it after the fact but they will post about the failure before finding out that it won't be covered. I've seen that here many times over the years.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:25 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

ByRiver wrote: "Does the vehicle record you resetting the OLM? And I asked before, does the OLM start showing negative numbers once it hits 0%?"

Unless they have changed the system recently it will not show negative numbers after it counts down to zero, it just goes down to zero. GM initially recommended a really long interval for my 2008 CTS (which required synthetic oil) and I didn't care for that long of an operating conditions interval so I would change the oil/filter at around the 50% OLM mark and not reset and then do another change and reset the life when it got to zero. A couple of times I left it at 0 for a week of light operation and it never went lower. After about a year GM issued a mandatory reprogramming of the OLM system (to help address problems with timing components failure) which significantly cut the operating life between changes and after that I began using the OLM in the normal fashion.

I haven't tried it since GM changed to a different diagnostics interface but the old tech 2 could retrieve some OLM data and because the new one uses calendar time as one of its data points then the number of days since the last reset will be stored within the OLM routine and would be retrievable.

Last edited by NSC5; 10-14-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
So I normally change my oil every year when I get my car inspected. And my car usually has 3500 to around 4500 miles per year at the time of inspection. As a comparison at that point my C6 would have said I had ~40 % or more life left. So this year at about an 11 month interval since the last change and 3000 miles driven, I'm down to 2% life left on the oil. That's absurd.
Not sure why this is bothersome to you. You were getting ready to change it anyways. So what if the C6 said you had 40% oil life left after a year when you changed it Vs the C7 saying you only have 2% left after 11 months. By the time you get to 12 months it will register zero and you will change it as you usually do.

Bill
Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Does anyone know if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery resets the OLM? I'm trying to figure out how long the oil has been in my 2017 that I just got. The car has been around almost 2 years and has had a couple new batteries. After 2500 miles the OLM is at 65%. If the meter is time sensitive I would think it would be telling me to change the oil by now. Pretty sure the dealer never did in the 2 years he was
sitting on it.
You've just identified the bogus folly of the olm.

​​​​​​​According to many fruitcakes here, your engine should have locked up on Day #366 of your oil fill. LOL!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:42 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You've just identified the bogus folly of the olm.

According to many fruitcakes here, your engine should have locked up on Day #366 of your oil fill. LOL!
Not one single person on here has ever said that oil goes bad on day 366, that's just your warped interpretation of what people are saying. What people are really saying is that if you don't change your oil every 12 months, GM will not honor your power train warranty. But reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit is it?

Quick Reply: I hate the "Time Based" Oil Life Monitor