Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
This is a silly question.

How can you explain your tastes?

How can anyone else?
I don't think it a silly question at all.... I've wondered that many times.... when I had my CTS-V I ended up with a cracked wheel. I wanted an OEM replacement. Guy at the tire store was insistent he could fit me with a set of black wheels for less than the cost of the OEM.... I said, "get the wheel bused from OKC to here tomorrow. Okay?"

I agree with those who say the black wheels detract from the design... few people realize how much research goes into color-design compatibility.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Not to ruffle any feathers, but can someone please explain how the popularity has risen so well for black wheels?

Absolutely no disrespect to those who own them and like them, heck I have them on mine but just don't care for them, l just can't figure how they became so popular...

To me, and again absolutely no disrespect, they resemble a car that's missing hubcaps.

Is it that they resemble NASCAR racing, or something like that? How did they become so popular? And what is the attraction?

Thanks

have no idea and I think they are literally hideous on all cars PERIOD. I do not understand the facination as well as all my friends. Nobody likes them. They are money makers at the dealership and they order all their cars with it. 99% of the vettes have them on their lot killing their sales and depreciating the cars right on the lot. The mexican in me wants to paint all my wheels with Rustoleum glossy black paint, paint my toe nails, paint everything like I did with my **** cars in the 70's....
Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

Like others, I didn't originally like the look of black wheels but have grown to like them. Chrome is too flashy for me. Polished aluminum is about the right amount of bling for some cars.

On the C7 I think the black wheels work with all the carbon flash black accents on the car. But I think they look best with color coordinated calipers and wheel pin-stripe (ala factory red on my Torch Red GS).

Last edited by Grand Slam; 10-12-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:02 PM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Not to ruffle any feathers, but can someone please explain how the popularity has risen so well for black wheels?

Absolutely no disrespect to those who own them and like them, heck I have them on mine but just don't care for them, l just can't figure how they became so popular...

To me, and again absolutely no disrespect, they resemble a car that's missing hubcaps.

Is it that they resemble NASCAR racing, or something like that? How did they become so popular? And what is the attraction?

Thanks

When we went shopping for our C7 last April, black rims were never on my list. I always felt that beyond 50 feet, I can't see the detail on a black rim anyway and it might as well be a black cardboard disk. Then on the showroom we discovered a Watkins Gray Metalic with carbon flash and black rims. I was hooked and that is what we now own. The car color made the difference.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Deweyox
have no idea and I think they are literally hideous on all cars PERIOD. I do not understand the facination as well as all my friends. Nobody likes them. They are money makers at the dealership and they order all their cars with it. 99% of the vettes have them on their lot killing their sales and depreciating the cars right on the lot. The mexican in me wants to paint all my wheels with Rustoleum glossy black paint, paint my toe nails, paint everything like I did with my **** cars in the 70's....
Huh? You must have a very small group of very old friends and those views are very much a minority view. I think black wheels are probably the biggest seller on the C7, and the trend is growing exponentially. Virtually every manufacturer is now using black wheels on the army of SUVs on today's highways. Obviously, they're very popular or dealers wouldn't be ordering them because they wouldn't be selling as briskly as they are these days.

I do still like silver-painted and polished aluminum wheels on some colors and vehicle designs. Chrome, uh no, never. I never did like chrome.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-10-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

The contrast of the Chrome wheels on the Admiral Blue GS were the deciding factor in my selection.

The combination works for me!

Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Explanation is SIMPLE.

The low contrast in black wheels allow the rest of the lines of the car to draw attention, rather than the super high contrast of black tires on silver or chrome wheels. No matter what color the car, silver or chrome wheels are the first thing you'll see because abasing a black wheel wheel encased with black tires, it is the highest contrasting point on any car.

So if you want your car to stand out, rather than your WHEELS to stand out, you go with a darker color wheel (black, hyper grey, or gun metal). If the wheels are the most attractive aspect of the car? Chrome it or silver, no brainer.

On luxo barges, SUVs, or econo-sedans, there's nothing really of any interest in the lines, shape, or form of the car. Heck I can't tell you the difference between a Nissan Sentra or a Toyota Turdcel (do they still make those?). Silver and chrome wheels look GREAT on those cars. Black wheels? Not so much. It just "highlights" how boring those cars look.
The following users liked this post:
ElGreco53 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Oh gawd: this post is horrible. Another "personal taste" fight. It's like the coupe v. convertible.
The following 3 users liked this post by ImpliedConsent:
dsword (02-10-2019), joemessman (10-19-2018), Zap City (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Oh gawd: this post is horrible. Another "personal taste" fight. It's like the coupe v. convertible.
dsword (02-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Vette Buddy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
Because this would look like crap with silver or chrome wheels

I love the look of black wheels, but let’s be honest, that car would look good with chrome wheels also!
Mike Campbell (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

LOL . . . I am being honest that Sebring Orange would look horrible with chrome wheels. Jaysus Christo peeps, it's just personal choice. Get over your personal biases, and respect what others like better than what you like.
DWS44 (10-13-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Vette Buddy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . I am being honest that Sebring Orange would look horrible with chrome wheels. Jaysus Christo peeps, it's just personal choice. Get over your personal biases, and respect what others like better than what you like.

I think you would have to have body colored mirrors
Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

I'd love to see a correlation between age and the like/dislike of black wheels.

This 60 year-old votes "Yes" on black wheels.

Last edited by gurneyeagle; 10-11-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I'd love to see a correlation between age and the like/dislike of black wheels.

This 60 year-old votes "Yes".
Does "Yes" mean like or dislike?
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Buddy

I love the look of black wheels, but let’s be honest, that car would look good with chrome wheels also!
Does it have wheels? I can't tell...
The following 3 users liked this post by pdiddy972:
Mike Campbell (10-11-2018), vdavenp802 (10-10-2018), Walt White Coupe (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

In large part circuitous marketing... People buy what the manufacturers make available, and the manufactures sell what people buy. If nothing but green and yellow-polka-dotted cars were available, that combo would "become" really, really popular.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

Really, only old people like chrome wheels and then those not as old like silver wheels and outstanding young and much more learned like black wheels!!! Well,if evidence or experience mattered, the reason there even are such things as "chrome" wheels is because chrome is applied to "protect" the base metal against pitting, oxidation and corrosion. Very simple because most items, whether black or bright chrome will last way longer than painted or even powder coated metal. Old people "learn" after years of "experience". But whatever "floats your boat" so please get off the "old people" crap. I for one prefer lighter wheels even machined but that's just my opinion. What YOU like is your business, Period!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Campbell:
Deweyox (10-24-2018), gurneyeagle (10-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Can somebody explain this, please

Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by ls777z
Doesn't show the accumulation of brake dust as much as shiny wheels? Therefore more driving time, less cleaning time...
Actually they show it quicker. The black wheels have a high reflectivity and dust becomes apparent within minutes of driving. Not only brake dust but just general road dust. I have two sets of wheels the stock black ones that show dirt very easily and a set of CCW flat black track wheels that don't show dirt unless you practically have your nose against them.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-10-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 519 Posts

The original owner of my z51 replaced the black wheels with chrome. I absolutely despise them. This car has zero chrome on it anywhere and the wheels look so totally out of place on it.

Back in the day cars had lots of chrome trim in the interior, chrome bumpers and grills just lots of chrome. Chrome wheels really set them off.

I am going to go back to factory black z51 wheels as soon as practical. Also these are factory chrome wheels and every one of them is blistering and peeling.

Last edited by z06inVB; 10-10-2018 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by z06inVB:
blkvet6 (10-10-2018), gurneyeagle (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 PM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Tin-can
Does "Yes" mean like or dislike?
"Yes" for black wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can somebody explain this, please