Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 options for first time buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Koke B
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 options for first time buyer?

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing my first C7. Unfortunately, I can't afford a Grand Sport or Z06 so I'm looking at the base models with the LT option. I don't know much about the base options so I'm hoping you guys can guide me to the right direction on which one to get? I'm mainly looking at the 14-17 models as they are around my price range. Is there also anything else I need to watch out for like recalls for specific years, or common problems?

Thanks in advance,

Koke
Old 10-11-2018, 03:14 PM
krwunlv
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...7-corvettes/7/

You can also get an extended warranty from sellers on here. Search for extended warranty and start there.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:19 PM
DonC7
Cruising

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased my 2016 C7 with the 2LT package last April. Memory seats w/ lumbar that are heated and ventilated are really nice. Upgraded audio, HUD and the front cameras come in handy when parking in tight spots.

Good luck with your search.

Don P.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Koke B
Hello,

I'm looking at the base models with the LT option.
The "LT" refers to a package of options. Base car is "1LT" and it goes on to 2LT and 3LT. You can add options from there, but if you are buying used, you get what is available. The general consensus around here appears to be that the "2LT" gets you the most bang for the buck, but once again, buying used means those option packages kind of fade into the background--in your favor. If you want to learn about how options are configured, study the configurator at https://www.chevrolet.com/previous-y...d-price/config

The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:34 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Performance wise, the Z51 package gets you very close to the GS (almost identical). In terms of trim, 2LT or 3LT. The head-up display's worth it!
Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

My take, nothing wrong with the base with nothing, no optioons. Afterall, Road & Track called the base car the "best sports car in the world" earlier this year.

The bigger issues might be transmission choice and color. Since you are on a budget, I'd strongly suggest getting as new as possible and accept fewer options. As the ol' adage goes "Less to fail." Whatever you get, DRIVE it and ENJOY!!!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Im one of those guys that ALWAYS buys used cars - I let someone else take that massive depreciation hit.

You can get a sweet, low mileage Vette, optioned all the way, for ALOT less than a newer Vette optioned the exact same way.

To answer your other question - there are (3) major option packages for each Vette:
  • 1LT - usual a base vette - least options
  • 2LT - nicely optioned vette - seems to be a popular choice
  • 3LT - fully loaded - most expensive too
Im also going to say the most PERFORMANCE bang for your buck is the Z51 package

So you have these choices:
  • Base Model - 455 HP
  • Z51 Optioned - 460 HP (offers multiple performance upgrades with brakes, suspension, oil sump pump, additional coolers, etc)
FYI - I bought my 2014 Z51 3LT Vette for $31,000 below sticker... Your'e being smart by buying used, and you will be able to get a well optioned Vette because of it... Good luck in your search. I suggest coming back here, posting details on cars you find - alot of great folks here have bought several Vettes and can tell you if your getting a good deal or not.

Lastly - download the app called CORVETTE DNA - you can look up Vettes by year, and look up the value based on condition, mileage and each option that was available that year - best Vette value tool around!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Koke B
I'm mainly looking at the 14-17 models as they are around my price range. Is there also anything else I need to watch out for like recalls for specific years, or common problems?
The 3LT leather dash sometimes bubbles up or shrinks to the point where it pulls back from defroster vents.

As for options I got a loaded 3LT Z51 used and the options I like the most are the magnetic ride control and the performance exhaust. The HUD is cool too. The ventilated seats aren't worth the money to me. The major options are either related to track uses (like Z51 package) or appearance items. The appearance stuff can be added later via the aftermarket if desired - I'm talking about wheels, stripes and aero bits. Other options would be certain interior and exterior color combinations that may not be commonly found on the used market.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

The 2LT is the sweet spot for options. The Z51 is a great option if you can find in your price range. If not you’ll love the car regardless.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
The 2LT is the sweet spot for options. The Z51 is a great option if you can find in your price range. If not you’ll love the car regardless.
Agree completely

Jack
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

IMO the 2LT package provides the best value. For me, the 1LT was too bare bones on options, the 3LT was mostly non utilitarian upgraded materials, and the 2LT was "just right".
FIMO, the base Stingray is an ideal car for street use and touring with an occasional track day, but if you plan to track the car frequently, the "Z" or GS packages are worth considering. For street use they have parts and systems you won't use, and the Stingray cannot use all its performance capability on the street, making the "Z'/GS packages overkill other than for bragging rights except for track use.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 10-11-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I have a 3LT Z51. I like the options. I bought my 2015 used. I like the 3LT but would have been happy with the 2LT especially now that the leather on the dash is lifting a problem with the dash in 3LTs something to consider with your purchase. I have the PDR but it part of the navigation pkg I dont use the navigation . I like the Z51 option I drive aggressively some would say. Whatever you decide they are to drive and drive quick

Last edited by Jmhornz71; 10-11-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
My take, nothing wrong with the base with nothing, no optioons. Afterall, Road & Track called the base car the "best sports car in the world" earlier this year.

The bigger issues might be transmission choice and color. Since you are on a budget, I'd strongly suggest getting as new as possible and accept fewer options. As the ol' adage goes "Less to fail." Whatever you get, DRIVE it and ENJOY!!!
As a wise old sage told me once, "buy the newest car with the least mileage that your budget will allow." Being this is your first Corvette I'll guarantee you will love it no matter what options are on it. Good luck with your search.

And, if you have any questions about one you have found, come on back and ask. There's a lot of experience, and knowledge here in the forum. Use it to your advantage. We're here to help if you need.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 10-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 options for first time buyer?

Quick Reply: C7 options for first time buyer?