Sponsored by:

Urgent Help With Insurance (please)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Dallas007
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ptalar
That is outrageous. You should check out Costco for car insurance.
”Outrageous”..... Thanks ptalar, I appreciate your opinion.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas007

”Outrageous”..... Thanks ptalar, I appreciate your opinion.
It is my understanding that Grundy insurance is mainly for collector cars. It is also my understanding that you have to be driving to something collector car related at any given time. It won't catch up to you until you get in an accident is my perception. If you get in an accident and there is no collector car related event going on that day they may give you a hard time on reimbursing your for repairs. I picked that up reading an article on car insurance. I may be wrong on that.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Being from south ATL, you must have heard of Clark Howard...

He is always preaching Amica.
12 years ago when I moved to NC, I called them. Best insurance change I have ever made.
I pay 400.00 per year. 1K deductible.
The following users liked this post:
Slynky (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Wow. I pay $674 per YEAR full coverage. Just looked it up to be sure. But you probably can't use my company because they insure only in WA and OR.
Slynky (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 PM
krwunlv
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

No thanks. These insurance company actuaries keep coming up with more reasons to raise your rates. They are slowly prying their way into your private life. First they passed a law to have you provide your mileage every 6 mos. Now, they want to monitor your driving. It use to be you were judged on your driving record and your age. It is getting ridiculous.
I drive my car less than 6k a year. I don't see an issue with supplying mileage as most people say the vette is a leisure car and quote less than 7500 a year but drive it twice that. Checks and balances. Erie Insurance is who I use now, my rate is 1600 a year for my 17 GS, my 02 4 Runner and my CBR600RR all with full coverage and 500 deductibles.

Insurance is a legalized form of organized crime IMO. :0) A necessary evil.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

GEICO is an absolute rip off. I have SF as well, multi line and multi car, i just renewed both vehicles and my 2015 z51 premium for 6 months is $506. Tell GEICO to go pound sand and do some checking around.
Slynky (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Dallas007
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

It is my understanding that Grundy insurance is mainly for collector cars. It is also my understanding that you have to be driving to something collector car related at any given time. It won't catch up to you until you get in an accident is my perception. If you get in an accident and there is no collector car related event going on that day they may give you a hard time on reimbursing your for repairs. I picked that up reading an article on car insurance. I may be wrong on that.
Well sir you have a few of the details a little wrong. Yes sir they are collector car insurance and there are specific underwriting criteria. But unlike other companies mentioned above there are no mileage limits nor is there any language concerning “collector car related” activities etc. The OP is 67 and appears to have no accidents so should be able to obtain quality coverage. A huge factor is what size deductibles folks have ( 0 with Grundy) as well as rental, trip interruption, full glass, flat bed towing vs wrecker etc. Having spent several decades in the insurance industry it was extremely common for folks to assume “everything” was covered as their agent said they have “full coverage”. Unfortunately “full coverage” policies still contain several sections of things that simply are not covered. Low premiums are great as long as you know what coverage you are actually getting. 😉👍
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
YIKES!!!!! Watch out. That beacon measures your driving style. Too fast? Too hard braking? Acceleration? If it's anything like the OnStar app the definitions of acceleration and hard braking are ridiculous. It's like having State Farm look over your shoulder every second you drive.
Yeah, she told me it measured miles and driving style. Though I'm 67, I can promise you I didn't buy this car to drive to church on Sundays. I'll hit some turns with some speed sometimes when I'm in the mood, and I'll let her feel her own power as well when I'm in a feisty mood. So, I don't need someone contacting me and saying, "You took 5 corners pretty fast last week, so we're going to raise your rates a little." Bad enough OnStar will be keeping tabs on me.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Try Costco for car insurance. Very affordable.
Interesting... can't remember seeing a Costco near me--I am a member of SAMs. Thanks !
Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Yeah, she told me it measured miles and driving style. Though I'm 67, I can promise you I didn't buy this car to drive to church on Sundays. I'll hit some turns with some speed sometimes when I'm in the mood, and I'll let her feel her own power as well when I'm in a feisty mood. So, I don't need someone contacting me and saying, "You took 5 corners pretty fast last week, so we're going to raise your rates a little." Bad enough OnStar will be keeping tabs on me.
I have SF and signed up for their program that receives mileage from OnStar. Miles only, no performance information. It doesn't cost anything to have OnStar send the info and you get a low miles discount on the car. If you only put 5K miles per year on your Corvette you are well below SF's low mile threshold. All you need with OnStar is the Safe and Sound plan which is their lowest cost plan. Since OnStar includes road side and towing service you can drop that from your insurance policy.

I did sign up for the OnStar Driver App for a few months to see what it indicated about the way I drive the car (especially when on track). Surprisingly, it didn't react as much as I thought to triple digit speeds, hard acceleration, hard braking or high cornering Gs.

Bill
Slynky (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tasml
Slynky,
After searching a few companies I just insured a 2019 Stingray and similar age, no accidents, etc for $1420 / year. That, of course, is a little over $700 for 6 months. That was the best rate I could find. It was AARP-The Hartford. AARP has teamed up with Hartford on this but they don’t do 6 months, either monthly or yearly. This was the Corvette cost but bundled with wife’s suv and homeowners insurance. The homeowners rate was really good, my wife’s SUV rate was really good, and the C7 was only slightly better. But the package saves us a lot. Plus this is in Michigan (notorious for high rates).
Tasml
Thanks, tasml. Yeah, not familiar with Michigan. Georgia is known for having shitty insurance laws and the insurance companies can run rampant here. Still, with the SUV, and home and your '19 'Vette all under the same roof, seems like your rate might could be a little lower. Certainly better than what GEICO quoted me, though. I have an email from State Farm for $646 for 6 months (which assumes I move my old Nissan PU over to them). Even less if I take my house to them but I didn't feel like exploring what the home insurance would be. I mean, it's no good lowering my two car insurance costs by $100 by moving my home to State Farm and then have my homeowners insurance go up by $200 more than I'm currently paying.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dallas007
I’m 60 with no accidents or tickets. GEICO wanted $1700 per year for my 2019 Stingray. I went with Grundy as they are $700. Good luck!
Thanks for your time answering me. Yes, you're the third person here to remark on the huge increase to insure a C7 with GEICO. Never heard of Grundy. $700 a year ?!?! WOW !
Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Being from south ATL, you must have heard of Clark Howard...

He is always preaching Amica.
12 years ago when I moved to NC, I called them. Best insurance change I have ever made.
I pay 400.00 per year. 1K deductible.
Yeah, good ole Clark ! LOL... but, he does have sensible advice. I'll take yours and his and check them out. THANKS for your help and time.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Wow. I pay $674 per YEAR full coverage. Just looked it up to be sure. But you probably can't use my company because they insure only in WA and OR.
Nice. Yeah, as I mentioned previously, Georgia is known for weak laws to keep insurance companies in check. Lucky you ! Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have SF and signed up for their program that receives mileage from OnStar. Miles only, no performance information. It doesn't cost anything to have OnStar send the info and you get a low miles discount on the car. If you only put 5K miles per year on your Corvette you are well below SF's low mile threshold. All you need with OnStar is the Safe and Sound plan which is their lowest cost plan. Since OnStar includes road side and towing service you can drop that from your insurance policy.

I did sign up for the OnStar Driver App for a few months to see what it indicated about the way I drive the car (especially when on track). Surprisingly, it didn't react as much as I thought to triple digit speeds, hard acceleration, hard braking or high cornering Gs.

Bill
Thanks, Bill, for the alternate point of view. Worth considering.

On another topic, you should considering posting more--you know, contribute to the forum a little. With only 31,000 posts, I'm surprised they don 't revoke your membership.

LOL... J/K
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by REPOED C7
The National Corvette Museum has an insurance package for 6,000 or less annual miles. I'd give them a call.
Checked out their website and see it is mostly for collector cars. They will insure "regular" stuff but... I checked out the FAQ and using the car for errands isn't allowed. However, there is a "9 to 5" option which includes that sort of driving on a limited basis. So, I went through a quick quote and doing 6,000 miles a year on the 9-5 plan costs about $925 for a full year. Since it's for "collector cars", I'll need to read about it some more but that annual premium isn't too bad. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Slynky; 10-11-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by markmo
Try a local independent agent. When I traded my C6 for a C7 ( and I was with GEICO) my premium jumped considerably. The algorithm that GEICO uses does not like the C7 for some reason. I called a local agent and they shopped around for me. As a comparison, I have three cars - a '17 BMW X3, '16 BMW Z4 and a '16 Vette (3LT Z51). My premium with full year round coverage is $620 for 6 months for all three vehicles. I mention "year round" because I keep collision insurance on my cars despite the fact that I store the two 2 seaters in the winter. My current policy is with Travelers.
As was stated earlier, several factors are involved including credit score, location (I'm upstate NY).
Good luck!
Online quote for my old truck and the new Corvette... $570 for both for 6 months. I used to have Travelers (back in the day). It might even be cheaper if I tell them I have them for my home (via GEICO). This sounds promising. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent Help With Insurance (please)

Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z edge
GEICO is an absolute rip off. I have SF as well, multi line and multi car, i just renewed both vehicles and my 2015 z51 premium for 6 months is $506. Tell GEICO to go pound sand and do some checking around.
Oh, yeah. Everyone I've checked with so far beats GEICO. I'll be lowering the boom on them soon. Thanks !
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 PM
GTXDana
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been with State Farm for quite a while now-home, umbrella policy, six vehicles, one enclosed trailer and one Harley. I get a pretty good deal on some of my vehicles and some they pretty much stick it up my ***. My 2017 GS costs about $775 per year. My "daily driver" 2012 Ram R/T is over $800/year. The GS and truck are on low mile per year plans-less than 7500 per year I think, and I don't put near that many miles on either one in a year. The other cars are on collector car agreed value policies with a limit on the miles driven per year.
Slynky (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTXDana
I've been with State Farm for quite a while now-home, umbrella policy, six vehicles, one enclosed trailer and one Harley. I get a pretty good deal on some of my vehicles and some they pretty much stick it up my ***. My 2017 GS costs about $775 per year. My "daily driver" 2012 Ram R/T is over $800/year. The GS and truck are on low mile per year plans-less than 7500 per year I think, and I don't put near that many miles on either one in a year. The other cars are on collector car agreed value policies with a limit on the miles driven per year.
Thanks for your input. (you must have one of those nice garages... LOL).

State Farm isn't bad at the moment, but Travelers is beating them... still checking.

Quick Reply: Urgent Help With Insurance (please)