Sponsored by:

I Can See Why Corvette Sales Trail Off So Much During the End of a Model Run

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:04 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Corvette continues to lead the “Luxury Sport Segment” with a market share of 35.5% followed by the Porsche 911 at 16.4% and the Porsche Cayman at 6.6%, followed by Ferrari, Mercedes, Juguar, Lexus, and lastly, Audi.

Way to GO Corvette! America's bad *** Sports Car kicks but over the entire rest of the herd, even without the electro foo foo that others have! I'll take a very distinctive heart stopping gorgeous Corvette over the rest of the pack any day, techno fizz or not! The fewer produced makes it that much more of a unique and mind blowing visual experience every time it's spotted in the jungle!

The following 2 users liked this post by HorsePower Junkie:
dvilin (10-14-2018), pdiddy972 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Not always true, the Mag Ride suspension got much-improved calibrations for 2019, and previous years can buy the upgrade for $350.
Having done the upgrade, I think it's worth every penny and am very glad GM made it available for our 2017 instead of us having to buy a new car.
I was going to mention the above, and the 100 octane program, and wasn't there a PS update. I think GM is easing into this type of update/upgrade. Also, early on wasn't there a fix or update to the infotainment, too. As the car gets more computer-complex, these fixes/upgrades have to be made. I'd hazard a guess that every year, and even within the year, changes which could be considered upgrades are being done as new things get "discovered."
Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

True... Interesting in my case is that so far ALL I have had to do to my car other than oil changes (that I DIY) is software. Airbag recall, AA update, MSRC upgrade and new maps. I hate going to the dealer. Wish they would enable an interface and push these software things to us.

Originally Posted by AORoads
As the car gets more computer-complex, these fixes/upgrades have to be made.

Last edited by raylo; 10-14-2018 at 07:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Maybe Camaro sales are down because the car sucks as a daily driver- cheap interior and horrible visibility. We drove one as a loaner while our C6 was in the shop, my wife didn’t know what it was but after 5 minutes she said “This thing is awful, don’t you dare buy one of these.”
The following users liked this post:
GreenGA (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ptalar
What about the Hellcat Charger?
I have no desire to get a Hellcat. Or I would have bought one instead of the 392. The cars are nearly identical in every way except for the supercharged engine with 200+ more horsepower. I don't need 700+ horsepower to drive to the office. I just couldn't justify the $30k premium over the 392. The 392 is no slouch with 485 hp stock.

So buying a Vette I am actually giving up some performance on the power side as my 392 is pushing around 500 hp with upgraded intake and exhaust, but I think the lighter weight, better handling, and manual transmission of the Vette will make it a much more fun car to drive.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:35 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Bingo. Visibility from the Camaro cockpit is so bad it is a deal breaker for me. Really need to fly that thing on instruments. And people complain about visibility in the C7? LOL.

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
... and horrible visibility. ....

Last edited by raylo; 10-14-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

What is GM doing to sell the Corvette? When was the last time they had TV ads? 2014? Any decent ad campaigns on social media?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:27 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
um, ok. But Camaro guy admits 'ros are falling off the cliff, saleswise. what i would hate, if i was a ZL1 buyer, is to see the planned Camaro push as the "economy alternative" sports car to Mustang, with tens of thousand of economy camaro's pushed out the door at $19,995, (plus 20% off MSRP, like chevy is advertising the Silverado in commercials now) for a car i paid 70k for.

Camro Cliff Diving
Mustangs are sold worldwide, Camaros aren't. Automatically makes sales comparisons nonsense.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:55 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
What is GM doing to sell the Corvette? When was the last time they had TV ads? 2014? Any decent ad campaigns on social media?
I've never seen a commercial on TV for a Mustang, Porsche, or any other exotics on TV. And only a small minority of people use social media. I'm part of the majority who doesn't. And no one is going run down to the dealership because they saw a Corvette commercial. If you are part of the demographics that buy Corvettes, you already know they exist. And if the marketing group thought there was any value in spending millions of dollars for an ad campaign, they would had already done it.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I've never seen a commercial on TV for a Mustang, Porsche, or any other exotics on TV. And only a small minority of people use social media. I'm part of the majority who doesn't. And no one is going run down to the dealership because they saw a Corvette commercial. If you are part of the demographics that buy Corvettes, you already know they exist. And if the marketing group thought there was any value in spending millions of dollars for an ad campaign, they would had already done it.
wait... what? 77% of US citizens have a social media account of some sort. lol Wow. Not sure why you think what you think, but you're Waaaaaaay off, and in the minority.

And I'm sure someone will ask where I got the # from, here is a link:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...twork-profile/

Last edited by Thunder22; 10-14-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
That's really the only one they have done though. There's no reason why they couldn't do others.

The 2014 car is still essentially the same as the 2019's coming off the line today. I think that's the main point the OP was trying to make.
that ^ is not true.

You might want to do a bit of research on the changes,
Old 10-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
C7 sales have been dropping by 5000 units a year over the past two years. The argument could be made that everyone who wanted a C7 already has one. However, I believe that's only part of the story. After the Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 models are out, the models are essentially feature frozen until the next model run. They do almost no updating. It's not zero, but close to it.

I was looking at the Camaro, and I was blown away by how much it has been updated compared to the Corvette over the same period of time..

* LED headlights
* Phone wireless charging
* Gen 3 infotainment system with HD touch screen
* HD backup camera
* Blind spot monitoring
* Cross traffic alert
* Forward collision avoidance
* Electronic rear view mirror camera

One could argue that it's a sports car, and no one needs this technology. However, I keep hearing GM say they want younger buyers for the Corvette. Young people like new tech. They demand new tech in their cars. Some older buyers do, too. The more cars that get this technology, the more outdated the Corvette looks.

If you look at the Mustang, that car gets engine horsepower updates every year or two. The Corvette gets none.

When you buy a 2019 base Stingray, you are essentially buying a 2014 car. It's like sitting in a time capsule. You have to give people a reason to trade in their car for a new one. Corvette is not doing that, and the sales numbers reflect it.
Those things won't make more people buy the car. You either want a Corvette or you don't. How well are other two seater sports cars selling during this time period. Those kinds of features really don't differentiate the cars in this market. Performance differentiates cars in this market and the C7 has a pretty impressive performance level even after 6 model years. Would you rather drive a C7 Z06 around the track or a Camaro/Mustang/BMW/P Car/Other? I have a lot of fun driving my 15Z around the track which is still plenty able to run with the Big Dogs. There aren't many cars faster and one of them is a C7 ZR1. Funny, they just started being delivered this year so I guess it has been less than a year since the Vette got a performance infusion.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
desmophile (10-14-2018), dvilin (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 04:26 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

And only a small minority of people use social media. I'm part of the majority who doesn't.
You just posted on social media that you don't use social media. irony/10

Old 10-14-2018, 04:51 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
that ^ is not true.

You might want to do a bit of research on the changes,
I have. Aside from some software add ons and appearance changes/ tweaks, it's essentially the same car. There have been no radical changes throughout its run. I don't consider front cameras or anything of that nature as " a different car." Just like when they added the PDR on my 2015. It's a tweak. It's still the same basic car.

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 10-14-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:04 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Why would I want to downgrade from an A6 in my '14 to an A8?

Last edited by John Ulrich; 10-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Funny how different people are with car tech. All my other cars/truck have blind spot monitoring but I preach to the wife to never rely on it or trust it and always look then look again so it’s somewhat worthless to me. Lane assist, turned off in every vehicle as I hate it. Don’t need my steering wheel vibrating. Adaptive cruise, never liked it and turn it off. Cross traffic warning and precollision are helpful though, to me. Tech items have zero bearing on my Vette purchase but that’s just me.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:21 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
You just posted on social media that you don't use social media. irony/10
This is a forum site for Corvette Enthusiasts. It is NOT social media. All users are anonymous, and you con only pose questions and insights about Corvettes. You are only interacting with people you don't know within the confines of the thread subject.

I actually do have a LinkedIn account, which is for business. It is not personal social media. It is pretty much mandatory for professionals. My statistics for social medial are lower because it excludes LinkedIn. There is a debate in actually calling it social media. There are no ads for cars or people talking about lame things like what they ate for dinner last night, or where they spent their vacation. On the groups that I belong it is all strictly business, and zero personal chit chat. It is used to discuss issues in various areas of business, pointing people to articles and white papers. You don't have personal info in your profile. Mine only has my name and my email address, and includes y current employer and what I do professionally. I was at a large business conference with 500 people last year, and the question was asked who had a twitter account, and maybe 10 people raised their hand.

I don't have a FB account, but I doubt you could effectively market Corvettes on that site.

Get notified of new replies

To I Can See Why Corvette Sales Trail Off So Much During the End of a Model Run

Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

This is a forum site for Corvette Enthusiasts. It is NOT social media. All users are anonymous, and you con only pose questions and insights about Corvettes. You are only interacting with people you don't know within the confines of the thread subject.

I actually do have a LinkedIn account, which is for business. It is not personal social media. It is pretty much mandatory for professionals. My statistics for social medial are lower because it excludes LinkedIn. There is a debate in actually calling it social media. There are no ads for cars or people talking about lame things like what they ate for dinner last night, or where they spent their vacation. On the groups that I belong it is all strictly business, and zero personal chit chat. It is used to discuss issues in various areas of business, pointing people to articles and white papers. You don't have personal info in your profile. Mine only has my name and my email address, and includes y current employer and what I do professionally. I was at a large business conference with 500 people last year, and the question was asked who had a twitter account, and maybe 10 people raised their hand.

I don't have a FB account, but I doubt you could effectively market Corvettes on that site.
You have some very very odd ideas about social media. Whether it's anonymous or not (a lot of twitter and instagram accounts are anonymous and/or locked, and they are the definition of social media) it's still social media. You really need to educate yourself. If you think web sites with forums don't fall under a form of social media, well, I don't know what to tell you other than you're incredibly wrong.

Your last statement about fb and not being a good platform for Corvette marketing is so ludicrous that I can't even think of a response. But just for the record, there are thousands of Corvette groups/pages/dealers on facebook,, including what I will go out on a limb and claim that every chevy dealership has a page, not to mention corvette clubs, corvette sales guys, model specific pages, etc etc etc ...

Last edited by Thunder22; 10-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:40 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

This is a forum site for Corvette Enthusiasts. It is NOT social media.
It certainly is....

From Wikipedia:

Definition and classification:
The variety of evolving stand-alone and built-in social media services makes it challenging to define them.However, marketing and social media experts broadly agree that social media includes the following 13 types of social media: blogs, business networks, collaborative projects, enterprise social networks, forums, microblogs, photo sharing, products/services review, social bookmarking, social gaming, social networks, video sharing, and virtual worlds.

Last edited by FLEXjs; 10-14-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSteveF
Funny how different people are with car tech. All my other cars/truck have blind spot monitoring but I preach to the wife to never rely on it or trust it and always look then look again so it’s somewhat worthless to me. Lane assist, turned off in every vehicle as I hate it. Don’t need my steering wheel vibrating. Adaptive cruise, never liked it and turn it off. Cross traffic warning and precollision are helpful though, to me. Tech items have zero bearing on my Vette purchase but that’s just me.
Same here we have all that fancy tech in our Denali SUV. First thing my wife did is turn off the lane departure warning. She said, why does this thing keep tugging the steering wheel? I said you have to use the blinker all the time when changing lanes even if there is no one in sights to signal for. She said turn that off, it is annoying. Next was the blind spot monitoring. I said look at the mirror when it lights up there is a car in your blind spot, she said that is fine but I don't pay any attention to that. When you have been driving for 30+ years without this stuff it can be hard to change.

Now some of the tech is quite useful. The front sonar detection is great for when parking in the garage as it tells you just how close to get to objects. The rear cross traffic alert when backing out of a spot at a parking lot is actually useful and acts as another pair of eyes. But in general I feel the same. I have been driving so long and managed to get by without all this tech that I often just prefer the simplicity of the driving experience without all this other stuff getting in the way.

Quick Reply: I Can See Why Corvette Sales Trail Off So Much During the End of a Model Run