Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Not defending the use of 87 octane as I would not use it BUT if you "never" put your foot past half throttle, especially important at lower rpm, the 91 or 93 octane is not needed!

However if you do use 87 octane, one of the many knock sensors will detect a "knock" (preignition) and the computer will retard timing and probably richen the air/fuel mixture in attempt to eliminate it! As the owner's manual states that will reduce max power and reduce mpg. The high octane rating is needed when cylinder pressures are near max based on the compression ratio. At part throttle, the air/fuel mixture does not reach max pressure on the compression stroke and therefore won't preignite or "knock." It's like having a lower compression engine. Unlike a diesel, combustion will (should) occur only when the spark plug fires.

Once the computer sets the timing back and/or richens the air/fuel mixture you're not only loosing max power your getting less mpg! Defeating the $/gallon savings you thought you were getting. Perhaps at every start it looks for a knock sensor signal- don't know. New engines have many knock sensors so doubt you'll hear a knock before it does it's reduced timing etc thing!

SIDE BAR
The statement, "if you hear knocking" remines me of a friend who had a high performance car and traveled to Mexico were he filled up and the car knocked so bad no matter how he drove he was worried he was damaging the engine and probably was. Timing and rich air/fuel ratios can only help so much then it will knock!

Also recall some years ago when my communications manager and good friend got a great deal on a new Olds and when he got it home realized it said use only high test gas. It came with a turbocharger! He said he refused to pay for high test gas so always used regular. Told him the same, just never use more than half throttle! He was not an aggressive driver and probably never did. He had the car for many years and all was fine. Particularly with a turbo charger the max octane requirement is needed when on boost.
Jerry whats the compression ratio of the new lt1 engine ?
Yes I know I could go figure it out for myself but you probably know off the top of your head ...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

11.5 to 1 and that's incredible.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Yes wow, that is incredible.

Its also high enough that you would have to be crazy thinking you can run 87 octane without shortening the engines service life.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:10 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader

Its also high enough that you would have to be crazy thinking you can run 87 octane without shortening the engines service life.
Exactly! If Joe thinks he's going to get long engine life running 87 octane in the heat of Texas, combined with only doing 25,000 mile oil changes, he's sorely mistaken.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader

Yep, "Back in the Day" that would have required 100 octane Sunoco 260! Even then had to limit advance on a Chevy Small Block!

Yep aluminum heads, DI and carefully designed chamber swirl have been great engineering! To think in 1974 the max power in a Vette 350 small block was 250 hp. The max 454 cid was 270 hp!.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-22-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:14 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Well, it's misbehaving again, but still following the pattern I described up thread. I filled up, drove 30 miles, crapped out, let it run down (never started registering though), filled up, then twenty miles later it worked again. CEL hasn't cleared up yet, but I got home before that was expected. We'll see in the next few ignition cycles.

The crappy part, now is not the sensor, but MD VEIP, and I need to have it inspected before 12 Dec. Now, it's a balancing act, once the CEL clears, and how long before VEIP can run a clear OBD test, and it craps out again, because, now I don't ever think it will be truly fixed.

It was behaving for two thousand miles and then this. I honestly don't know what to think. I thought I had it fixed.

The really odd part is that even though the DIC shows "- - -" for range while the needle is pegged at zero, the my Chevrolet app will still give an accurate fuel gauge range. I have no idea where it's getting it's info, but it has been accurate, and yes, I have pinged it a lot while it's been misbehaving, and every single time, it has tracked it very accurately.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

No current thoughts on the mystery BUT when I installed a lower temp thermostat in my modified S10 it would trip a cell on really cold days and the check engine light would stay on. I used my OBDII monitor to reset the CEL and it would stay off until the next really cold day. I'd repeat the OSBII reset until our ~two cold months were over!

Might help you get past inspection!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-10-2018 at 02:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 03:20 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Please show me where it is Recommended. No where does it say 87 is recommended. It does say it can be used. That is not the same as recommended. Try reading comprehension. Read the manual below. Does not say 87 is recommended. In fact it warns the 87 will have reduced acceleration.

Page 206 of the 2018 manual states exactly this, as it is copied right out of the PDF manual.

The bold is what they recommend you use for best economy and performance.

The Red can be used, but it will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy.

So why would some one buy a High performance car, and be satisfied with not getting the best performance by using a 87 octane fuel?

Sad some one will spend 60K or so on a performance car, and not want the best performance.
Please show me where it is not approved and recommended? I've always directly quoted the 2017 Owners Manual. 87 octane is approved and recommended for the LT1.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-10-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:26 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
What page? Still waiting.

Also, don't confuse "recommended" and "approved." They are two different things. Nowhere that I can find are the two found in the manner you "quoted."
Approved and recommended are one in the same. As used in the 2017 Owners Manual. What do you think the difference is?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:49 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Approved and recommended are one in the same. As used in the 2017 Owners Manual. What do you think the difference is?
You don't know what 11.5-1 compression ratio means do you ..
Old 11-10-2018, 07:52 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Well, it's misbehaving again, but still following the pattern I described up thread. I filled up, drove 30 miles, crapped out, let it run down
Sorry to hear that.The c5 i had lived on Tectron.Same as you,off and on BS..

Originally Posted by Patman
I could attach pictures I would (but this forum is acting wonky when it comes to attaching pictures lately)
Don't know the type of phone you have but,If decent? Use that? Sometimes just snapping a photo from lap top is easier than copy,paste,post.Quality is so ,so but for a text,good enough
Let me know if you wanna borrow my shovel...HA

Great Read Here.Around 14k miles 90% Non top tier gas.Just filled with Sunoco 240 and Tectron.Happy Motoring

Patman (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Back to the original subject of this hijacked thread. Injector cleaners. It was my understanding, way back when direct injection gas engines were first being installed in C7 Corvettes, that because of the extreme high pressures that these injectors operate under, they didn't collect deposits. Does anyone know the truth? What is the collective wisdom in CF about this subject.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Patman
Race Director

Please show me where it is not approved and recommended? I've always directly quoted the 2017 Owners Manual. 87 octane is approved and recommended for the LT1.
Straight out of the manual, it couldn't be more clear, 87 is not the recommended fuel, 93 is! And even though it says you can use 87, it says performance may be reduced!! (and in the hot Texas summer I bet you're losing 50hp and risking damaging the engine too) Why did you buy a performance car only to have it's performance reduced and the possibility of doing damage by cheaping out on the gas? That's insane.

Last edited by Patman; 11-10-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Maxpowers (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frodo
Back to the original subject of this hijacked thread. Injector cleaners. It was my understanding, way back when direct injection gas engines were first being installed in C7 Corvettes, that because of the extreme high pressures that these injectors operate under, they didn't collect deposits. Does anyone know the truth? What is the collective wisdom in CF about this subject.
Injector cleaner is totally unnecessary as it relates to proper operation of the injectors.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Here...watch this YouTube video if you would like to learn more about the problems associated with direct injection (DI or also know as GDI). The Corvette engine is not immune to the issues discussed about this topic.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Back to the original subject of this hijacked thread.
Nope sorry if offended.Read last paragraph.Thank you

Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I add Techron several times per year to help avoid sulfur build-up on the fuel level sender. Now adding when I am filling up and the car will sit for a few days to it's touching the resistor.

However although the pressures are very high the hole is very small! In addition it could provide some help with combustion chamber deposits. How much- don't know but if adding for the fuel sender- can't hurt he other!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injector cleaner

Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Patman
Race Director

To further add to this discussion (as I think it's very important for new members not to be fooled by your obvious confusion) here is another portion of the 2017 owner's manual that clearly states that 93 octane is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for best performance. But if you're happy having your performance reduced, that's your problem (and could be an expensive one) You constantly put down us 1LT owners because you think we're cheap (not true) but yet you cheap out every time you choose 87 octane at the gas station.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Techron is great stuff and will likely remove any deposits in our injectors, just as it does on the older port injectors. My wish is to know if deposits can and do occur in our direct injectors. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Techron is great stuff and will likely remove any deposits in our injectors, just as it does on the older port injectors. My wish is to know if deposits can and do occur in our direct injectors. Inquiring minds want to know.
What type of deposits (inside the injector) are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner