I need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 AM
Isles19
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice!

Hello all,

i purchased a brand new 2019 Stungray 1LT 7 speed manual on September 24th of this year. At about 1700 miles I started to hear a vibration (as if something was shaking in place when it shouldn’t be). I brought my vette to Chevy and told them what I was hearing at that I believe it is one of the plastic vents on the drivers side. They said alright let us take a look and we will call you and let you know. I got a call from the service department later that afternoon saying my car is ready to be picked up, however they said that nothing was wrong with my car and that they couldn’t replicate the noise I was hearing. I told them to keep the car and that tomorrow morning I will come and show them what I’m hearing. The morning comes I go and show multiple technicians the sound I’m hearing. Again I get the let us have the car for a few hours and we will call you back. I get a call back saying that my car is ready to be picked up when I show up they tell me the sound I’m hearing is debris coming off of my tires which I know is not accurate. I finally convince them to order the vent right before the stingray badge on the drivers side. A few days later I get a call saying they got the part and to drop the car off on Saturday morning (October 13th). I show up that morning and drop my car off they give me a rental and said we will need your car for half a day to replace the vent. About an hour and a half after I leave I get a call from the service department telling me that they’ll need my car for longer so I asked how much longer and they said a week. I said a week seems like a long time to just install a vent. They representative tells me the part didn’t come painted and that they need to send my car and the part to another dealership on Monday morning because they’re paint/body shop isn’t at that dealership it’s at the other dealership they own 25 miles away. From there i told them I was very uncomfortable with some random guy or girl driving my car and abusing it. They promised me that I wouldn’t need to worry that they will treat my property with respect. So I left my car with them in good faith that nothing would happen. Monday comes around and at about 1pm or so I check my cars location with the mychevy app and come to find out my car hadn’t been moved yet. I checked again at 8pm and the car still was in the same place. The next day (October 16th) I call the service department around 10am to ask to see if they could find something in the previous rental from a few day prior as well as asking the other dealership to check my car for the item as well. He says no problem I’ll go find out rental guy and ask him to go look and if you would like I can check your car for you if you would like. I respond saying I thought my car was at the other dealership and he responds saying they were supposed to come get this morning but they’re on the way here now. I said yeah okay thanks just let me know if you find them. Paranoid as is about some random guy or girl coming to get my car I’m constantly checking the location of my car. Later that day around 130 pm someone has finally started to move my car to the other dealership. With my app I can see where they are but I can’t get any type of data about how they’re driving so about 20 minutes after they got in my car they made it to the other dealership. About half an hour after they finished moving my car I can finally view the data log for the trip. Which is telling me the route they took and when each event took place with a time log. So the route the took was on all residential streets where the speed limit is 45 max. The person who drove my car was driving 80 plus miles an hour multiple times over the entire route. From that point I stopped what I was doing and went to that dealership and asked to speak with the service manager in private.

I’m sorry that was so long.

So I’m not to sure what to do at this point I’ve spoken with the service manager about this employees lack of respect for other people’s things and he said he or she will be dealt with internally. But now I need to go talk to the general manager. But I’m not sure if some form of compensation is warranted for this situation. I’ve heard of stuff like this happening before but never did I expect it to be me.

So any advice about what I should ask for or what I should say or if you think I’m just being b#tch about it all.

​​​​​​​Thanks, Bryan.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Isles19
Hello all,

i purchased a brand new 2019 Stungray 1LT 7 speed manual on September 24th of this year. At about 1700 miles I started to hear a vibration (as if something was shaking in place when it shouldn’t be). I brought my vette to Chevy and told them what I was hearing at that I believe it is one of the plastic vents on the drivers side. They said alright let us take a look and we will call you and let you know. I got a call from the service department later that afternoon saying my car is ready to be picked up, however they said that nothing was wrong with my car and that they couldn’t replicate the noise I was hearing. I told them to keep the car and that tomorrow morning I will come and show them what I’m hearing. The morning comes I go and show multiple technicians the sound I’m hearing. Again I get the let us have the car for a few hours and we will call you back. I get a call back saying that my car is ready to be picked up when I show up they tell me the sound I’m hearing is debris coming off of my tires which I know is not accurate. I finally convince them to order the vent right before the stingray badge on the drivers side. A few days later I get a call saying they got the part and to drop the car off on Saturday morning (October 13th). I show up that morning and drop my car off they give me a rental and said we will need your car for half a day to replace the vent. About an hour and a half after I leave I get a call from the service department telling me that they’ll need my car for longer so I asked how much longer and they said a week. I said a week seems like a long time to just install a vent. They representative tells me the part didn’t come painted and that they need to send my car and the part to another dealership on Monday morning because they’re paint/body shop isn’t at that dealership it’s at the other dealership they own 25 miles away. From there i told them I was very uncomfortable with some random guy or girl driving my car and abusing it. They promised me that I wouldn’t need to worry that they will treat my property with respect. So I left my car with them in good faith that nothing would happen. Monday comes around and at about 1pm or so I check my cars location with the mychevy app and come to find out my car hadn’t been moved yet. I checked again at 8pm and the car still was in the same place. The next day (October 16th) I call the service department around 10am to ask to see if they could find something in the previous rental from a few day prior as well as asking the other dealership to check my car for the item as well. He says no problem I’ll go find out rental guy and ask him to go look and if you would like I can check your car for you if you would like. I respond saying I thought my car was at the other dealership and he responds saying they were supposed to come get this morning but they’re on the way here now. I said yeah okay thanks just let me know if you find them. Paranoid as is about some random guy or girl coming to get my car I’m constantly checking the location of my car. Later that day around 130 pm someone has finally started to move my car to the other dealership. With my app I can see where they are but I can’t get any type of data about how they’re driving so about 20 minutes after they got in my car they made it to the other dealership. About half an hour after they finished moving my car I can finally view the data log for the trip. Which is telling me the route they took and when each event took place with a time log. So the route the took was on all residential streets where the speed limit is 45 max. The person who drove my car was driving 80 plus miles an hour multiple times over the entire route. From that point I stopped what I was doing and went to that dealership and asked to speak with the service manager in private.

I’m sorry that was so long.

So I’m not to sure what to do at this point I’ve spoken with the service manager about this employees lack of respect for other people’s things and he said he or she will be dealt with internally. But now I need to go talk to the general manager. But I’m not sure if some form of compensation is warranted for this situation. I’ve heard of stuff like this happening before but never did I expect it to be me.

So any advice about what I should ask for or what I should say or if you think I’m just being b#tch about it all.

​​​​​​​Thanks, Bryan.
Welcome aboard.

I'll give you some good unrelated to your post advice-break your thoughts up into paragraphs-in its present form it is just too much work to read. You will get more responses that way instead of unhelpful posts like mine.
The following 5 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
AORoads (10-17-2018), Artarmy (02-19-2023), jimmbbo (04-14-2020), orwollma (10-17-2018), Vette Jockey (04-13-2020)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

My advice is don't complain about silly noises anymore. Make sure your car is actually broken before you take it in for service.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Well if the car is fine, I really do not care how fast they drove it. I just would want it back fixed and ready to go.
Rebel Yell (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Im more worried about 80 MPH on a NEW 2019 before its broken in...

I would be pissed for sure, just not sure there is anything you can do... Sounds like that dealership is incompetent from the beginning and full of BS excuses. First thing I would do is get your car back and pick another dealership... Maybe the dealership its at now, will take better care of you... I do think its worth a phone call to them, sharing your experience thus far - so maybe you can get expedited service from THEM...
Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
My advice is don't complain about silly noises anymore. Make sure your car is actually broken before you take it in for service.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I'd be pissed too as I'm also one of those paranoid people. I'm a little confused why they needed to take your car to the other dealership to get the new vent painted? Why didn't they just have it painted wherever and install when finished? The vents just pop out.

As to the 80 mph in a 45mph. I would definitely report it to management as you've done, but I wouldn't expect anything from them cause you won't get it.
I would make sure you leave negative feedback on their GM service review and also on any social media where reviews can be left. If the car isn't damaged, there isn't much you can do besides never going there again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sconn:
AORoads (10-17-2018), Rebel Yell (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would certainly lodge a complaint with the owner of the dealership.

There is no excuse for your car to be driven like that by a dealership employee who is just delivering it to another dealership.

And, find a new dealer, even if it is a longer distance away.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
He has a brand new car and there is a noise that shouldnt be there If there wasnt anything wrong why was a new part ordered. It maybe just a broken clip or something but it still needed replacing.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Bryan, I would let them handle it internally. You or the car weren't damaged so I wouldn't expect any compensation. You can always ask for a free oil change for your troubles..
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
He has a brand new car and there is a noise that shouldnt be there If there wasnt anything wrong why was a new part ordered. It maybe just a broken clip or something but it still needed replacing.
He has a brand new car with literally hundreds of moving parts. The car isn't even broken in yet. The dealer couldn't even figure out what he is complaining about without his direct assistance. The reason for that is because there's nothing wrong. It is virtually certain the only reason they are replacing the vent is because that's what the customer wanted. Here's a direct quote from the original post …

" I finally convince them to order the vent right before the stingray badge on the drivers side"

And, I guarantee you the new vent wont cure a case of automotive hypochondria, but at least they are trying to do something, and it only makes sense to do what the customer is asking to be done.

Go drive your car right now with all the accessories turned off, and listen carefully. Unless your hearing is impaired you can hear dozens of noises. None of which are repairable, because nothing is broken.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-17-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:36 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

If the dealer said they would have "a little old lady" drive the car would you feel better? Or even have believed them? You should have insisted on driving the car there yourself.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I agree with this. Unless your vents are painted to match the body color, there is no reason for the car to go with the vent. Seems like they just wanted to drive it.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 10-17-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sad to say, but sometimes if you want something done right (and in advance, YOU WERE worried about how your car would be driven to the other dealership), you will have to do it yourself. That won't prevent it going for an 80 mph shakedown to see IF the problem is fixed, but it would have prevented one potential 80 mph jaunt. Surely, you don't think the Gen. Mgr. or Gen. Sales Mgr. was going to do the driving, right? I know what you expect. Now you do know better.

I'd do all the above beneficial suggestions, whether you are or are not a hypo including putting the dealer on notice with the big company. None of these entities are going to do a thing, but every note gets kept in a file. And no, I would not do the standard email thing or worse, a text. Too easy for the round file.

If you have other dealers, go talk to them about how they will handle your car. If you do not have other dealers even a bit away, sorry. Drive a little, save a lot (of angst).

Last edited by AORoads; 10-17-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Phew. That was a long read to basically say the dealer drove your car 80 in a 45 zone. Like others said, there is not much you can do except complain to the dealer and hope they take some steps with this person.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Isles19
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Phew. That was a long read to basically say the dealer drove your car 80 in a 45 zone. Like others said, there is not much you can do except complain to the dealer and hope they take some steps with this person.
Yeah, sorry I tried to make it short and I plan on reposting it in a more condensed form later today. I wanted to get the back story so everyone can understand it’s just been one thing after another with them. But thanks for the response.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 PM
chuckrbt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If it really gets to you, you might check with the local police and see if your evidence is enough to issue a ticket. At those speeds, it might become a serious fine.

Get notified of new replies

To I need some advice!

Old 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

When it comes to irresponsibility or incompetence, I do not have high expectations for many Chevrolet dealers. It's why I have my cars maintained by an independent mechanic once the warranty is up. Car dealers have mostly "techs" trained to replace parts, as opposed to "mechanics" who can troubleshoot and diagnose a difficult problem.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Another reason to get PDR, when buying a new Corvette. App worked to a degree though. File a case with GM, if GM has a method for dealing with this.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

How can you tell on the app how fast they were going?
SoCalFinest (10-18-2018)

Quick Reply: I need some advice!