Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which one?
2016 camaro SS with automatic
24.32%
C7 with automatic
75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Camaro or C7 - which one is better for my situation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 PM
futuregopher
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 2016 Camaro or C7 - which one is better for my situation?

Here is my situation - I live in midtown manhattan but work in NJ. I've always wanted a car and have narrowed it down to 2 options - 2016 camaro SS automatic or C7 with automatic. I could get a used camaro for ~32k and a used 2014 used C7 for around 10k more. I will be financing 100% so just letting everyone know I'm not rich lol. Turning 29 soon, no kids, not married, live by myself. I want to support american made products.

My parents live in NJ so I would keep the car there during winter months and when it's summer, I would get a parking spot for around ~250/month in NYC. This would just be a weekend car if I wanted to run errands or go somewhere on the weekends or just go out and drive the car.

My brain tells me camaro because it's more "practical", still has the same engine, looks are not bad/just above average, handles great, Motortrend likes it more than the current BMW M4 (wow props to GM), wouldn't be as upset if someone "dinged it" whether it be in driving or when it's parked. The NYC roads are not great so C7 ground clearance would be a big issue. It's also 10k less but I still think a C7 is 100% still worth it at the higher price tag. I view it as camaro SS is the best bang for the buck around 30k and C7 is the best bang for the buck for 12-15k more.

BUT my heart tells me C7! It looks much better than the camaro (IMO), has better visibility, and just looks like a more special car. If I were to get the camaro, I would certainly get a bit jealous if I saw a C7 but I rarely see C7's and camaro's in NYC.

I've been reading a lot of 6th gen camaro vs C7 debates and I get the general sense that BOTH owner groups are VERY HAPPY with their respective purchases. C7 owners do respect the camaro as a car but probably WOULD NOT switch their C7 for a camaro.

I've been reading a lot of posts and pretty much everyone is very level headed and very rational when it comes to comparisons/shortcomings with the C7 so everyone's input would be greatly appreciated with a vote/comment. Thank you!!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:55 PM
A320Flyer
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

If your heart says C7, it’s a no brainer. It’ll always have good resale value if and when needs or wants change, ie kids. These cars are just too much fun!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Ouch... 100% financed car that will sit half the year and the other half you'll have to pay an extra $250/mo to park it?

Glad I don't live in NY!

That said... I'm not sure either really fit what you're looking for/need.

Last edited by Sconn; 10-18-2018 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ih2lose (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

By 25 yrs old, I had already paid ca$h for my 1st new C3 Corvette.😃 If that helps you any......
Old 10-18-2018, 07:02 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Examining your situation objectively I believe you should go with the C7. Otherwise there is a good possibility you'd be second guessing yourself. The Camaro is good car, but it isn't close to a C7.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:24 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Don't work for a car. I have, it ain't worth it. Take a cheap Vegas vacation and go to the drive an exotic car place there. Take some hot laps in an exotic sports car, and "box your compass"; get your head focused on what you really want in life, then set your priorities to achieve the big goals. No such thing as a cheap car, but it is a great parachute to put a drag on your earnings. If you have the willpower to walk past this "need", your future sucess has no boundaries.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:42 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

I think you should really think about the financials of a 100% financed car (I agree with SilverGhost), but car for car here are my thoughts...

I've owned 2 C7 Stingrays, an SS 1LE 6th Gen, a ZL1 1LE, and now have a Grand Sport. Both of these are are fantastic, and you will surely be happy with either. If your heart is with the vette (and are comfortable with the money part), get a vette even if it's an older gen. Here are my thoughts on the cars themselves excluding financials...

The Camaro feels like it has a 1/2 generation newer electronics package (because it does). It also feels heavier and not in a bad way. It is harder to see out of for sure, but not something that ever bothered me and frankly never really notice UNTIL I get back in a C7 (then the ability to see more is apparent). I have called the SS a Stingray with a Camaro body, and it really is. FANTASTIC CAR!

The vette is considerably lighter feeling, and is faster (both in feel and times). It is easier to see out of obviously, and while we are all entitled to our opinions, the fact is that it's better looking (yes, slight sarcasm). You also cannot ding a vette because it is a SMC plastic body. The Heads up display and gauge cluster options are better on the vette, but as I said above the overall electronics are newer feeling on the Camaro. The vette is a FANTASTIC CAR!

I worked in Manhattan for a long time (in Chinatown and over by Madison Sq park). I think the best vehicle for this area is a Jeep Wrangler, but between the two you list the Camaro would handle the bumps better and has both more articulation and droop (yes we are measuring the off-road capabilities of sports cars to drive in a city, and it matters).

The vette would have less salt erosion issues....

My own personal choice for this type of driving would be a cheaper car (maybe a C6 that you wouldn't have to fully finance), but the above are my thoughts on the two you are asking about and between those two only, I'd go C7.

Last edited by devnull; 10-18-2018 at 09:08 PM.
harmonyp (11-17-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

I always ask the same question when this subject comes up; are you more attracted to sportscars or muscle cars?
Answer that and your decision should be easy.

To finance such a car 100% to only drive part of the year and pay the substantial upkeep is borderline financial irresponsibility. However, you only live once and may NEVER be in a position
to purchase such a car again.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-18-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:54 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I understand the urge for a newer performance car but my best advice is to not finance any car at 100%, you will pay a huge amount of interest which will offset any "deal" you might find. Go forth and find an older hot rod, one you won't worry about driving in Manhattan/NJ and, one you can honestly afford. IMHO, Silver Ghost nailed it, great advice even if it's not what you want to hear, that's usually a sign it's good advice. Just my 2¢...
Old 10-18-2018, 08:03 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Spent lots of time in both. I vote C7.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Manhattan, single.
Camaro
Rim & tire damage, maybe the SS Camaro has larger sidewalls reducing damage.
Dating, you have a rear seat to practice baby making.
Friends, four seats, more get togethers.
Insurance & registration, perhaps the Camaro has less fees.
I just add my personal "acid test" for a Vette, "can you live with room for two and an envelope"
(of course there is more room but that's my acid test question for a potential Vette owner.)
All FWIW.
Good luck.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 PM
mcginna
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to Enterprise or Avis and rent a Camaro for the weekend- you will want the Vette.

I have had my C7 for 5 years, the fun never gets old. Two days in a rental Camaro was enough.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Between the two, get the Crown Vic for Manhattan.
ptalar (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

If it was me I wouldnt drive anything up there I would be fearful of driving a Corvette as most of them folks would never see it and drive right over you
Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull

I worked in Manhattan for a long time (in Chinatown and over by Madison Sq park). I think the best vehicle for this area is a Jeep Wrangler, but between the two you list the Camaro would handle the bumps better and has both more articulation and droop (yes we are measuring the off-road capabilities of sports cars to drive in a city, and it matters).

I would have said Jeep Cherokee. Relatively compact, reasonable room, tall enough to see over traffic. C7 or Camaro would be better choices for suburban areas.

In fact, would it make more sense to just rent a car--whatever you felt like--for the occasional drive rather than having your money committed to a vehicle that you won't use half the year?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
I would have said Jeep Cherokee. Relatively compact, reasonable room, tall enough to see over traffic. C7 or Camaro would be better choices for suburban areas.
Can we at least make it a Trailhawk?

(I have Jeep issues too and have owned a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk, and a Wranger Hard Rock). While you make an excellent point, my passion for the wrangler clouds my response!

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
In fact, would it make more sense to just rent a car--whatever you felt like--for the occasional drive rather than having your money committed to a vehicle that you won't use half the year?
Great idea!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Neither. Save your money. If you really need a car living in Manhattan? You're doing it wrong.

Chevy ss or Charger SRT makes more sense if you REALLY need a car and it has to have *****.

you'll never drive that C7 where you live you just won't.

I grew up in the city and I would never torture myself by taking my C7 there.. .EVER...
ptalar (10-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Camaro or C7 - which one is better for my situation?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

We don't know your financial situation, but financing 100% of either car is going to be a hefty monthly payment. When you add in insurance, taxes, parking spot, etc., things are going to get expensive.

You're the one that's going to have to live with your decision, but I would recommend waiting until you can put a significant down payment towards the car.
futuregopher (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 89 Posts

Everyone has their particular stance on financial discipline. In the OP’s case, I certainly understand the comments about being cautious in financing at or near 100% of the vehicle.

That said, for me personally, I finance ANY new car and borrow as much as the loaning institution will allow, as long as the interest rates are at the ridiculously low level most of us enjoy. I can think of quite a few uses for cash that have a better return on investment than parking it in vehicle equity.

Again, to each his own, but a person borrowing a large amount on their vehicle isn’t necessarily a poor fiscal decision. In fact, there are situations where it’s the smart financial move.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by thompstl1
Everyone has their particular stance on financial discipline. In the OP’s case, I certainly understand the comments about being cautious in financing at or near 100% of the vehicle.

That said, for me personally, I finance ANY new car and borrow as much as the loaning institution will allow, as long as the interest rates are at the ridiculously low level most of us enjoy. I can think of quite a few uses for cash that have a better return on investment than parking it in vehicle equity.

Again, to each his own, but a person borrowing a large amount on their vehicle isn’t necessarily a poor fiscal decision. In fact, there are situations where it’s the smart financial move.
Except that autos are depreciating assets. There's no return on investment, unless you're thinking in terms of non-monetary benefits.

If LW is going to borrow to finance any vehicle he of course needs to get the best deal possible, as you suggest. (I bought my C7 in June 2017 with a zero down, zero % five year loan from GM Financial, about the best you can imagine, but I'm still going to be out dollars over time on the deal.)

Quick Reply: 2016 Camaro or C7 - which one is better for my situation?