Sponsored by:

4 & 5 February at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 01:06 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Default 4 & 5 February at Spring Mountain

Well, I got my class set up for the 4th and 5th of February at Spring Mountain. Had enough frequent flyer miles to book round trip for my wife and I first class.

Was disappointed to find out they no longer offer a 3rd day of class for a little extra cash. In 2014, when my wife and I took the class we did 3 days in a Z51 M7. It was a blast! I learned a lot, as did my wife.

I am very excited about going again. I'm sure I will still learn a lot. I know it will be a blast. This time I get to be in a Grand Sport M7 car. It will be interesting to see how the Grand Sport Compares to the Z51 on the track. My wife is coming this time, but decided not to take the course again.

Last edited by Dave80C3; 10-19-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:38 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Yes I did the same thing in 2015 taking the three day class in my Z51. Last day was a lot of fun. I now have a Z06 and wanted to do the same thing and was told I could not. So now I to will take the two day class knowing how much I will miss that extra day! Hope you have a great time!
The following users liked this post:
Dave80C3 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:49 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I am schedule 2/23 & 2/24 with 6 other of our club members.....looking forward to it!
Old 10-20-2018, 12:45 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gliot1
I am schedule 2/23 & 2/24 with 6 other of our club members.....looking forward to it!
I is a real good time, lots of fun. Best part is you learn a lot while having fun. Its amazing what these cars can really do.

This is my second time, and still very excited about getting to go again.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

You are likely aware of this, but to put the info out there for new SM students, using the PDR for ALL the practice maneuvers as well as the track time helps recall the fine points of the practice sessions later, as your "comments" are recorded via the cabin mic along with the video during PDR recording.
SM introduces the PDR after the practice sessions, at the beginning of track time, but I wish I had thought to record the practice sessions.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 10-20-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Slynky (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:48 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
You are likely aware of this, but to put the info out there for new SM students, using the PDR for ALL the practice maneuvers as well as the track time helps recall the fine points of the practice sessions later. SM introduces the PDR after the practice sessions, at the beginning of track time, but I wish I had thought to record the practice sessions.
Thanks. That is a good idea.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

You are likely aware of this, but to put the info out there for new SM students, using the PDR for ALL the practice maneuvers as well as the track time helps recall the fine points of the practice sessions later, as your "comments" are recorded via the cabin mic along with the video during PDR recording.
SM introduces the PDR after the practice sessions, at the beginning of track time, but I wish I had thought to record the practice sessions.
Seems like SM would make that a standard part of the course--and send the students home with a flash drive of the event. Would be cool !
Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Seems like SM would make that a standard part of the course--and send the students home with a flash drive of the event. Would be cool !
For the "summer incentive" for hot weather classes, they provide a 16GB Class 10 SD card, but don't introduce using the PDR till track driving starts
Otherwise, students need to bring or buy one at SM
Slynky (10-23-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

For the "summer incentive" for hot weather classes, they provide a 16GB Class 10 SD card, but don't introduce using the PDR till track driving starts
Otherwise, students need to bring or buy one at SM
I did the Corvette Owner School in July, got the SD card and 2 nights in the condo. I'd previously done the 3 day Level 1 class, and I did the PDR right from the first time in the car. Interesting to compare, I did the 3 day in a C6 ZO6 manual and did the Owner School in a C7 ZO6 manual, both classes were on the 2.2 mile "Villenueve" course. Viewing the videos you can see how big the improvements are from C6Z to C7Z, pretty impressive the difference a few years of development can make.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:46 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I did the Corvette Owner School in July, got the SD card and 2 nights in the condo. I'd previously done the 3 day Level 1 class, and I did the PDR right from the first time in the car. Interesting to compare, I did the 3 day in a C6 ZO6 manual and did the Owner School in a C7 ZO6 manual, both classes were on the 2.2 mile "Villenueve" course. Viewing the videos you can see how big the improvements are from C6Z to C7Z, pretty impressive the difference a few years of development can make.
I'll bring a 32gig card that I already have with me to the class. First time I took the class was in 14, it was the corvette owner class. At that time you had the option of adding the third day, which I did. Was really wishing they still offered that for the owners class. Also wish they had PDR in the car in 14. Would be nice to be able to compare.....
Old 10-21-2018, 01:59 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I'll bring a 32gig card that I already have with me to the class. First time I took the class was in 14, it was the corvette owner class. At that time you had the option of adding the third day, which I did. Was really wishing they still offered that for the owners class. Also wish they had PDR in the car in 14. Would be nice to be able to compare.....
Just to clarify, I used a GoPro mounted to the right of the rear view mirror for the C6ZO6 Level 1 class, and for the Corvette Owners class in the C7 ZO6 I used the PDR right from the start, I had the same M7 ZO6 for both days of the class. In comparing the two, the C7 ZO6 was noticeably faster in pretty much every section of the track, definitely shows what a few years more technology and a lot more HP can do to counter a bit more weight. I'm planning on going back next year for either the Level 1 or Level 2 because I plan on doing some track events and I'm sure there is a lot more to learn. Enjoy the class and if you haven't already, be sure to try Symphony Restaurant at the Pahrump Winery for dinner, great place, reasonable pricing and nice atmosphere.
Slynky (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:17 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Just to clarify, I used a GoPro mounted to the right of the rear view mirror for the C6ZO6 Level 1 class, and for the Corvette Owners class in the C7 ZO6 I used the PDR right from the start, I had the same M7 ZO6 for both days of the class. In comparing the two, the C7 ZO6 was noticeably faster in pretty much every section of the track, definitely shows what a few years more technology and a lot more HP can do to counter a bit more weight. I'm planning on going back next year for either the Level 1 or Level 2 because I plan on doing some track events and I'm sure there is a lot more to learn. Enjoy the class and if you haven't already, be sure to try Symphony Restaurant at the Pahrump Winery for dinner, great place, reasonable pricing and nice atmosphere.
In the Fall of 2014, the instructors were saying the the C7 Z51 could be the C6 Z06 around the the track if both drivers were at the same skill level. They were saying the stiffness and improved handling of the C7 made up for the extra hp of the C6 Z06. They said a longer track, with a longer straight the C6 Z06 would win, but the short straight was not enough for the Z06 to make up for the C7 in the corners.

I believe the Symphony is were we ate one of the three nights we were there. We will be going there Sunday for dinner.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:15 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

In the Fall of 2014, the instructors were saying the the C7 Z51 could be the C6 Z06 around the the track if both drivers were at the same skill level. They were saying the stiffness and improved handling of the C7 made up for the extra hp of the C6 Z06. They said a longer track, with a longer straight the C6 Z06 would win, but the short straight was not enough for the Z06 to make up for the C7 in the corners.

I believe the Symphony is were we ate one of the three nights we were there. We will be going there Sunday for dinner.
That's what Rick told me about the C7 Z51 vs the C6 ZO6, and as far as the C7's go, the Grand Sport is a fair amount quicker than the Z51, and the ZO6 is a bit quicker than the Grand Sport. The kicker there is that a very quick driver in a Grand Sport could probably beat an average driver in a ZO6. The Grand Sport and ZO6 are pretty similar in the way they drive, but although the ZO6 is faster, it's also harder to drive faster, as in applying power coming out of turns. My group had a couple pretty quick guys in Grand Sports, and during the sessions it would usually take me at least a lap, maybe 2 before I could really open a gap on them. I'm guessing there that it was maybe me not being as aggressive on the throttle as I could have been, but even with the nannies engaged, the ZO6 can bite you if you get too happy with the right pedal. They said we were the first class in quite some time that had no off-track events or spins, and I wanted to keep it that way. Symphony is really good, and my wife enjoyed doing the wine tasting before dinner, we ate there both nights in July. Enjoy the class, I know I'm already planning a return trip out there.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:30 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

That's what Rick told me about the C7 Z51 vs the C6 ZO6, and as far as the C7's go, the Grand Sport is a fair amount quicker than the Z51, and the ZO6 is a bit quicker than the Grand Sport. The kicker there is that a very quick driver in a Grand Sport could probably beat an average driver in a ZO6. The Grand Sport and ZO6 are pretty similar in the way they drive, but although the ZO6 is faster, it's also harder to drive faster, as in applying power coming out of turns. My group had a couple pretty quick guys in Grand Sports, and during the sessions it would usually take me at least a lap, maybe 2 before I could really open a gap on them. I'm guessing there that it was maybe me not being as aggressive on the throttle as I could have been, but even with the nannies engaged, the ZO6 can bite you if you get too happy with the right pedal. They said we were the first class in quite some time that had no off-track events or spins, and I wanted to keep it that way. Symphony is really good, and my wife enjoyed doing the wine tasting before dinner, we ate there both nights in July. Enjoy the class, I know I'm already planning a return trip out there.
Rick is the same one who explained that to me about the C7 Z51 vs the C6 Z06. I have always been told a real good driver in the Grand sport will beat an average driver in a Z06 with the C7 cars. I'm not fooling myself, I know I am an average driver, or maybe slightly above average. I'm smart enough to know, I do not have what it takes to drive a Z06 at its limits, probably not even 7/10ths. That is why I decided on getting the Carbon 65 Grand sport 3LT, fully loaded with a 7 speed rather than the Z06 2LZ 7 speed.

Were you able to get to the winery in time for the wine tasting after class?

Hopefully when we get there Sunday, I will get checked into the Condo in time to get over and do the wine tasting before Dinner.

I'm so excited about going again, I can hardly wait. Can't wait to feel the difference of a Grand Sport on the track compared to the Z51.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:59 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Rick is the same one who explained that to me about the C7 Z51 vs the C6 Z06. I have always been told a real good driver in the Grand sport will beat an average driver in a Z06 with the C7 cars. I'm not fooling myself, I know I am an average driver, or maybe slightly above average. I'm smart enough to know, I do not have what it takes to drive a Z06 at its limits, probably not even 7/10ths. That is why I decided on getting the Carbon 65 Grand sport 3LT, fully loaded with a 7 speed rather than the Z06 2LZ 7 speed.

Were you able to get to the winery in time for the wine tasting after class?

Hopefully when we get there Sunday, I will get checked into the Condo in time to get over and do the wine tasting before Dinner.

I'm so excited about going again, I can hardly wait. Can't wait to feel the difference of a Grand Sport on the track compared to the Z51.
I'm thinking your class will start at 8AM, mine started at 7AM due to the July temps, not sure how late the wine tasting runs, but if memory serves me correctly I think we made dinner reservation for 5:00-5:30 and got over there about 4:15-4:30 or so and my wife did the wine tasting before dinner. I'm not a wine drinker, but she likes a glass now and then, so all good, the grape juice was good too. My Owner School class was Friday-Saturday, we flew into Vegas on Wednesday, got to Spring Mountain about 2:00 on Thursday and met a few of the guys in my class staying in our condo bldg. before dinner. I had a few Instructors tell me I was pretty quick, but I think it was more the car than me, I always had it in the back of my head not wanting to be "that guy", but I still managed to have a couple "moments". I ordered mine 3LZ 7 speed ZO7 Carbon Flash Level 3 Aero, Jake Hood Stinger, Spectra Gray Wheels and 2-tone red/black GT seats, Blade Silver. Thought about Watkins Glen Gray, but there were a few C7's running around in that color, and I wanted something different, my C6 was Cyber Gray. I like your Carbon Ceramic Gray, it looks a lot better in person than in pictures, a friend just got a Carbon 65 and it looks really great. I'm already talking to my wife about next summer possibly. She likes Spring Mountain, and she likes Vegas, so it won't be a very hard sell.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

I'm thinking your class will start at 8AM, mine started at 7AM due to the July temps, not sure how late the wine tasting runs, but if memory serves me correctly I think we made dinner reservation for 5:00-5:30 and got over there about 4:15-4:30 or so and my wife did the wine tasting before dinner. I'm not a wine drinker, but she likes a glass now and then, so all good, the grape juice was good too. My Owner School class was Friday-Saturday, we flew into Vegas on Wednesday, got to Spring Mountain about 2:00 on Thursday and met a few of the guys in my class staying in our condo bldg. before dinner. I had a few Instructors tell me I was pretty quick, but I think it was more the car than me, I always had it in the back of my head not wanting to be "that guy", but I still managed to have a couple "moments". I ordered mine 3LZ 7 speed ZO7 Carbon Flash Level 3 Aero, Jake Hood Stinger, Spectra Gray Wheels and 2-tone red/black GT seats, Blade Silver. Thought about Watkins Glen Gray, but there were a few C7's running around in that color, and I wanted something different, my C6 was Cyber Gray. I like your Carbon Ceramic Gray, it looks a lot better in person than in pictures, a friend just got a Carbon 65 and it looks really great. I'm already talking to my wife about next summer possibly. She likes Spring Mountain, and she likes Vegas, so it won't be a very hard sell.
Yes temps will be much lower. I know last time it was late October or early November and we started at 0800. If all goes well with our flight I should be to Spring Mountain about 1430 Sunday at the latest. I'm thinking I'll make 1800 dinner reservations just in case I am slightly delayed.

I saw the Ceramic Matrix Grey Metallic Carbon 65 on the show room floor when getting an oil change on my 14 Z51. My salesman tried to get me to look at the car closely. I really wasn't ready for a new one, planned on waiting one or two more years. So I didn't look. A week later I was in Daytona FL for Bike week. Chevy had a big display at the race track. Of course they had a Carbon 65 sitting in the sun. It was beautiful, loved the small flake in the paint. My buddy said "isn't that the most beautiful corvette you ever saw?" I agreed with him.

I flew back off shore for three weeks at work. I couldn't quit thinking about the car. So after two weeks at work, I e-mailed the salesman about the car, knowing it would have an Auto and I would not be interested. Well, it was a manual 7 speed. So after about three days of e-mails back and forth on the value of my car, and the price of his, we came to an agreement. So when I flew home, that evening at dinner I asked my wife if she could go to the Chevy dealer with me in the AM. She asked why. I said to pick up my new Corvette, and if you want your name on the title you need to come with me.

Last time my wife also took the course. She didn't want to this time. However she loves Vegas. So she said your going to the class, after that we are spending four night in Vegas. I never have to ask twice about a trip to Vegas.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Yes temps will be much lower. I know last time it was late October or early November and we started at 0800. If all goes well with our flight I should be to Spring Mountain about 1430 Sunday at the latest. I'm thinking I'll make 1800 dinner reservations just in case I am slightly delayed.

I saw the Ceramic Matrix Grey Metallic Carbon 65 on the show room floor when getting an oil change on my 14 Z51. My salesman tried to get me to look at the car closely. I really wasn't ready for a new one, planned on waiting one or two more years. So I didn't look. A week later I was in Daytona FL for Bike week. Chevy had a big display at the race track. Of course they had a Carbon 65 sitting in the sun. It was beautiful, loved the small flake in the paint. My buddy said "isn't that the most beautiful corvette you ever saw?" I agreed with him.

I flew back off shore for three weeks at work. I couldn't quit thinking about the car. So after two weeks at work, I e-mailed the salesman about the car, knowing it would have an Auto and I would not be interested. Well, it was a manual 7 speed. So after about three days of e-mails back and forth on the value of my car, and the price of his, we came to an agreement. So when I flew home, that evening at dinner I asked my wife if she could go to the Chevy dealer with me in the AM. She asked why. I said to pick up my new Corvette, and if you want your name on the title you need to come with me.

Last time my wife also took the course. She didn't want to this time. However she loves Vegas. So she said your going to the class, after that we are spending four night in Vegas. I never have to ask twice about a trip to Vegas.
I chose the summer because I've spent a lot of years working outside in all sorts of weather, so temp really doesn't bother me hot or cold, maybe I'm a bit sadistic, but 105 degrees was just fine for me, it's a dry heat and nothing like the 90 degrees and 90% humidity here at times. That and the fact that they run all sessions windows up, A/C on is a good thing. I was told when I ordered my ZO6 that about 80% of new Corvettes are automatics, and I find that a bit sad, in my mind the best part of driving a sports car is doing your own gear changes, and I've owned a lot of sports cars, every one has been a manual and the ZO6 was no different. They say the automatic is faster, but it is only to a point, I did a track day and followed a ZO6 automatic, he was slightly quicker up to about 90 or so, at which point mine would reel him in and pull away a bit. My wife can drive a manual, but the car scares her a bit, so she'd rather just ride, and she didn't take the Class either time I was there, although I tried to get her to do it. We will always spend at least 4 days in Vegas on a trip to Spring Mountain, we both like the 5 star Hotels and Restaurants there and know the area pretty well now, so I look forward to that part of the trip as well. Maybe at some point I'll want an automatic, but I'm not there yet, and don't see that time coming anytime soon, no disrespect to the automatic guys, but not for me. Sometimes the car finds you, I get a kick out of some guys on here that spend months on dealer websites searching for the exact car they want, rather than just ordering it, when you spend around $100k for a car, why get something "almost" what you want? From the day I put a deposit on mine to the day I took delivery was exactly 8 weeks and I'm happy, my C6 Grand Sport was a situation like yours, it was EXACTLY what I planned to order and the dealer had it in stock, so no brainer there, but finding the exact ZO6 that I wanted proved nearly impossible, so I ordered instead. Your color pops in the sun, and is one that you can't judge by pictures, like Black Rose Metallic, you need to see it in direct sunlight, it looks completely different, personally I considered that color when I ordered mine, but couldn't find one to see in person, as the color had not been shipped by then.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 & 5 February at Spring Mountain

Old 10-24-2018, 01:40 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

I chose the summer because I've spent a lot of years working outside in all sorts of weather, so temp really doesn't bother me hot or cold, maybe I'm a bit sadistic, but 105 degrees was just fine for me, it's a dry heat and nothing like the 90 degrees and 90% humidity here at times. That and the fact that they run all sessions windows up, A/C on is a good thing. I was told when I ordered my ZO6 that about 80% of new Corvettes are automatics, and I find that a bit sad, in my mind the best part of driving a sports car is doing your own gear changes, and I've owned a lot of sports cars, every one has been a manual and the ZO6 was no different. They say the automatic is faster, but it is only to a point, I did a track day and followed a ZO6 automatic, he was slightly quicker up to about 90 or so, at which point mine would reel him in and pull away a bit. My wife can drive a manual, but the car scares her a bit, so she'd rather just ride, and she didn't take the Class either time I was there, although I tried to get her to do it. We will always spend at least 4 days in Vegas on a trip to Spring Mountain, we both like the 5 star Hotels and Restaurants there and know the area pretty well now, so I look forward to that part of the trip as well. Maybe at some point I'll want an automatic, but I'm not there yet, and don't see that time coming anytime soon, no disrespect to the automatic guys, but not for me. Sometimes the car finds you, I get a kick out of some guys on here that spend months on dealer websites searching for the exact car they want, rather than just ordering it, when you spend around $100k for a car, why get something "almost" what you want? From the day I put a deposit on mine to the day I took delivery was exactly 8 weeks and I'm happy, my C6 Grand Sport was a situation like yours, it was EXACTLY what I planned to order and the dealer had it in stock, so no brainer there, but finding the exact ZO6 that I wanted proved nearly impossible, so I ordered instead. Your color pops in the sun, and is one that you can't judge by pictures, like Black Rose Metallic, you need to see it in direct sunlight, it looks completely different, personally I considered that color when I ordered mine, but couldn't find one to see in person, as the color had not been shipped by then.
Main reason I have done late fall or late winter for my courses, my wife an I are both avid motorcycle riders. We put 24,000 miles a year on our touring motorcycles, she rides her own Harley Road Glide. So we take several trips on them in the Summer. We spent two weeks riding out to Glacier National Park, and Yellow stone. We came home, I went to work. Next time off we rode out to Southern AZ, NM and TX doing Several National Parks, Organ Pipe, Saguaro, White Sands, Carlesbad Caverns, and Big Bend. I work 21 day, then am off 21 days. My 21 days at work I am offshore.

I think this will be our Tenth trip to Vegas. We also know the area pretty well. Lots of fantastic places to eat and stay. Lots to do also.

This Grand Sport is the first new Corvette I did not special order. The Carbon 65 came exactly as I would have ordered it, with the M7. My 14 Stingray Z51, 3LT, M7 took about 12 weeks from order to delivery. Part of that the Exposed Carbon fiber roof and dash was on constraint. Had I agreed to forgo those to options it would have been 7 or 8 weeks. I feel if your going to spend over 50K on something, get exactly what you want. I usually special order any vehicle we get, including my pick ups and her SUV's. I do not see me in an Auto any time soon either. Living in east TN, we have lots of twisty mountain roads. To me they are just more fun in a manual. Plus all my life, to me a sports car had two seats, manual transmission, posi traction and lots of motor.

I just love the Black Rose Metallic. Like Ceramic Matrix Gray, you have to see it in the sun to realize just how great a color it is.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Main reason I have done late fall or late winter for my courses, my wife an I are both avid motorcycle riders. We put 24,000 miles a year on our touring motorcycles, she rides her own Harley Road Glide. So we take several trips on them in the Summer. We spent two weeks riding out to Glacier National Park, and Yellow stone. We came home, I went to work. Next time off we rode out to Southern AZ, NM and TX doing Several National Parks, Organ Pipe, Saguaro, White Sands, Carlesbad Caverns, and Big Bend. I work 21 day, then am off 21 days. My 21 days at work I am offshore.

I think this will be our Tenth trip to Vegas. We also know the area pretty well. Lots of fantastic places to eat and stay. Lots to do also.

This Grand Sport is the first new Corvette I did not special order. The Carbon 65 came exactly as I would have ordered it, with the M7. My 14 Stingray Z51, 3LT, M7 took about 12 weeks from order to delivery. Part of that the Exposed Carbon fiber roof and dash was on constraint. Had I agreed to forgo those to options it would have been 7 or 8 weeks. I feel if your going to spend over 50K on something, get exactly what you want. I usually special order any vehicle we get, including my pick ups and her SUV's. I do not see me in an Auto any time soon either. Living in east TN, we have lots of twisty mountain roads. To me they are just more fun in a manual. Plus all my life, to me a sports car had two seats, manual transmission, posi traction and lots of motor.

I just love the Black Rose Metallic. Like Ceramic Matrix Gray, you have to see it in the sun to realize just how great a color it is.
I guess you could say I love all things mechanical, since I was old enough to walk. My focus from a young age was on sports, specifically Basketball and Baseball, where I was a Major League prospect as a 3rd baseman and pitcher, and I was invited to the St. Louis Cardinals training camp, then promptly got myself seriously hurt, ACL/MCL in one knee and Shoulder Separation requiring several surgeries which ended the Baseball dreams. After finishing College with a Degree in Engineering, I had a choice of an entry level job in my field, or going into the Heavy Trucking business with a Public Utility for over 3 times the $$$, so no brainer there. I like motorcycles, but really have no desire to ride one, mostly because of the drivers on the road today, but I do appreciate nice bikes, I have a good friend who has both a Sport Harley (the lower, race inspired one, not sure of the name) and a Ducati Panigale. I had a dirt bike several years back, but it was way too much bike for me, so I sold it before I could hurt myself.

Good on you for the road trips, myself, I've seen enough windshield time, if I can't drive it in 4 hours or less, my *** is on a plane, but we do like to travel a lot, probably been to Vegas about the same as you, and have done over 30 Cruises on many different lines, with another coming up next month. I think over the years there have only been about 3 vehicles that I bought from stock, the rest have all been ordered and I'm currently getting ready to order a new pickup for myself soon. I like the work schedule, 21 on 21 off, I've been basically a $$$ *****, I always did all the **** loads and runs nobody else wanted, in any kind of weather, and every big weather event, Hurricane, flood, Ice storm, whatever, I've been there, including 9/11 where I was on scene within a few hours of the Towers coming down. Spent a couple years running the Department, but my tolerance of Corporate idiots and their clueless ideas only goes so far, so I got back in the truck, no regrets. Lots of nice roads around here too, and I'm about 75 miles from Watkins Glen, so the high speed itch can be satisfied there rather than on the street. We're currently getting ready to build our 3rd new home, not sure just where yet, but I did float the idea of a house at Spring Mountain, right next door to the guy with the Helipad on his roof, but don't think I can really sell that idea. The thought of laps on a daily basis does sound pretty good though.
I agree on the sports car idea, but I'm reserving judgement on the Mid-Engine C8, I really like this ZO6 a lot, the C8 would really need to impress me, but never say never. I have a friend in the Club that has a new Grand Sport in Black Rose Metallic with Kalahari interior and Chrome wheels, it looks really nice, especially in the sun. The only drawback to that color is that like Black, it's pretty much only clean when it's sitting in the garage, I had 3 Black vehicles a few years back, and they kept me WAY too busy. You should do the Dalton Highway in Alaska if you like road trips, some pretty awesome scenery up there, but you don't want to do it in the winter months, unless you like -40 degree temps.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

I guess you could say I love all things mechanical, since I was old enough to walk. My focus from a young age was on sports, specifically Basketball and Baseball, where I was a Major League prospect as a 3rd baseman and pitcher, and I was invited to the St. Louis Cardinals training camp, then promptly got myself seriously hurt, ACL/MCL in one knee and Shoulder Separation requiring several surgeries which ended the Baseball dreams. After finishing College with a Degree in Engineering, I had a choice of an entry level job in my field, or going into the Heavy Trucking business with a Public Utility for over 3 times the $$$, so no brainer there. I like motorcycles, but really have no desire to ride one, mostly because of the drivers on the road today, but I do appreciate nice bikes, I have a good friend who has both a Sport Harley (the lower, race inspired one, not sure of the name) and a Ducati Panigale. I had a dirt bike several years back, but it was way too much bike for me, so I sold it before I could hurt myself.

Good on you for the road trips, myself, I've seen enough windshield time, if I can't drive it in 4 hours or less, my *** is on a plane, but we do like to travel a lot, probably been to Vegas about the same as you, and have done over 30 Cruises on many different lines, with another coming up next month. I think over the years there have only been about 3 vehicles that I bought from stock, the rest have all been ordered and I'm currently getting ready to order a new pickup for myself soon. I like the work schedule, 21 on 21 off, I've been basically a $$$ *****, I always did all the **** loads and runs nobody else wanted, in any kind of weather, and every big weather event, Hurricane, flood, Ice storm, whatever, I've been there, including 9/11 where I was on scene within a few hours of the Towers coming down. Spent a couple years running the Department, but my tolerance of Corporate idiots and their clueless ideas only goes so far, so I got back in the truck, no regrets. Lots of nice roads around here too, and I'm about 75 miles from Watkins Glen, so the high speed itch can be satisfied there rather than on the street. We're currently getting ready to build our 3rd new home, not sure just where yet, but I did float the idea of a house at Spring Mountain, right next door to the guy with the Helipad on his roof, but don't think I can really sell that idea. The thought of laps on a daily basis does sound pretty good though.
I agree on the sports car idea, but I'm reserving judgement on the Mid-Engine C8, I really like this ZO6 a lot, the C8 would really need to impress me, but never say never. I have a friend in the Club that has a new Grand Sport in Black Rose Metallic with Kalahari interior and Chrome wheels, it looks really nice, especially in the sun. The only drawback to that color is that like Black, it's pretty much only clean when it's sitting in the garage, I had 3 Black vehicles a few years back, and they kept me WAY too busy. You should do the Dalton Highway in Alaska if you like road trips, some pretty awesome scenery up there, but you don't want to do it in the winter months, unless you like -40 degree temps.
I was never all that good at sports. But loved cars and motorcycles from a very young age. Fell in love with the Corvette at 6 or 7 years old, my best friends dad had five at the time, a 60, 63, 65, 69 and 70. The 63 was a split window fuelie, the last three were big block 4 speed cars, and the 60 and 70 were rag tops. About the time I was 12 or so I started telling my dad I would own a corvette before I was 25, I wanted to be young enough to enjoy it. At 15 years old my dad and I bet $500 on that, with me betting I would own one before I was 25. In 1986, I bought a Red 1980 Corvette, it was a week before my 24th birthday. I was active duty Navy, and Married. The car had 11,000 miles on it, and I paid cash for it. So I won that bet. I have not been with out at least one corvette since then, had several C3 cars. Finally sold the 80 in 2017, after the third engine and trans.

My wife tired for years to talk me into do a cruise. I never had any interest after 20 years in the USN, and now working off shore in the oil and gas industry. In 2012 she, with a few friends tricked me into a cruise. She asked in front of 3 other couples if I would go on a Cruise, if I could ride my motorcycle on the three Islands we stopped at. Thinking there was no way that could happen, I said of course I would. Needless to say, they were all in on it together, and there was a way to take our motorcycles and ride them on the islands. I had a blast, so the next year we did another where I could bring my Motorcycle. Then we did an Alaska with out the motorcycles. We have taken a cruise every year since my first. 3 with motorcycles, the rest with out. I have rode my bike on 7 Caribbean Islands. We are scheduled for Feb of 2020 to take the motorcycles again and ride Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We are also doing a cruise in December of this year.

I am real curious to see what the C8 brings. I keep reading no manual transmission. I will be curious to see how much room for luggage, and what the HP will be. I have always loved mid engine cars. I am hoping this is one I will love. Then maybe wait a few years into the run to try to get one. I think the only way I would do it is if I can keep my Carbon 65 Grand Sport.

I sure understand black cars / trucks. Best looking truck I ever had was a GMC Crew Cab diesel dually, 4x4 Black. Truck was beautiful clean. But dirty an hour after you washed it. Way to much work. The shortest period of time I ever owned a vehicle. Traded it at 8 months old.

Quick Reply: 4 & 5 February at Spring Mountain