Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing Your Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

The first thing any car owner must decide is how much care and effort do you want to put into cleaning your car and how do you want your car to look when clean? If you're a "spray at the car wash and drive" kind of owner then enjoy the ride, my friend. That's why they built 'em. If you're one who doesn't mind swirls in the paint, hell... ya can't see them unless the light is right anyway, or don't want to take a lot of time then swish the damn thing off with Dawn and a bath towel and call it done. If you want to keep the new car look, sparkling in the sun, then you need to think about each step and component of your wash plan. I'm a fan of microfiber towels. Now, you need good quality towels. There's lots of fiber blends and even split fibers out there and some are crap. Buy from a retailer specializing in car care and detailing and get the good stuff. I went to a website specializing in car care and bought a pack of 10 yellow microfiber towels for washing, wiping, and general duty around my car. I bought a 3 pack of super plush blue towels for drying and hand buffing. Along the way I've wound up with more yellow ones I use for interior cleaning and a black one I use for dirty work like under the rear and inside the exhaust. I have some I bought at a big box store and they don't absorb very well. Bad towels, lesson learned. Sometimes I use one under my elbow when driving to protect the console lid from indentations.

I only use one bucket because that's all that's needed for a first class wash job. No grit guard needed either, save your money for gas. For the price of a second bucket and a grit guard you can buy a 10 pack of quality towels and be far ahead in the car care game. I start by blasting the whole car with the water hose to free loose dirt. With my favorite car wash mixed in the bucket I take one clean yellow towel, dip it into the clean soap, and wash a panel or area of my choice, depending on how much dirt is on the car. I then toss that towel aside and rinse. You can use the other bucket for this since you don't need it for rinsing a mitt. Next I grab another clean towel and dip it into my clean soap and wash another panel and toss that towel aside and rinse. Grab another clean towel, dip it into the clean soap and wash another panel and toss the towel and rinse. Get the idea? Nothing but clean towels go into your soap bucket. Nothing but clean towels and clean soap goes onto your car. You can't mess up always using a clean towel. I use 5 or 6 towels most times. Mitts can trap small particles of grit and remain to scratch the next panel. Micro fiber towels can too, so that's why I toss them aside after one use. Never dip a used towel back into the soap, keep the soap solution clean. Rinsing turbulence might drift small particles of grit up through the guard and onto a mitt or towel you're trying to rinse. In fact, if you see cloudy water then that's a clue it's not clean. Why take that chance, small that it may be. This method, with products of your choice, will produce great results with little more effort than most methods described above and will help insure you're not doing unseen damage to your paint. I blow the rinse water away with a leaf blower and towel dry with the plush blue towels.

Cleaning the towels isn't hard. I wash mine in our washing machine, no softener or dryer sheets, with an extra rinse to make sure the soap is out. Dry in the dryer, again... no dryer sheets. Softener and dryer sheets inhibit water absorption. Look them over as you fold them to be sure something isn't stuck in the fibers. Not comfortable with a washing machine? Kindly ask your mate to wash them for you, explaining the need for clean wash cloths for your paint.

It all boils down to how much effort you're willing to give to the project and what results you're looking for. I want as close to show-like as I can get within my own abilities and resources. I sure don't want to hurt my paint by taking a short cut. Remember, if you see swirls in your paint.... then you're doing it to yourself. Or worse yet paying someone else to do it to you.

Last edited by Frodo; 10-20-2018 at 01:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frodo:
duckvett (10-21-2018), joemessman (10-20-2018), Slynky (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
The first thing any car owner must decide is how much care and effort do you want to put into cleaning your car and how do you want your car to look when clean? If you're a "spray at the car wash and drive" kind of owner then enjoy the ride, my friend. That's why they built 'em. If you're one who doesn't mind swirls in the paint, hell... ya can't see them unless the light is right anyway, or don't want to take a lot of time then swish the damn thing off with Dawn and a bath towel and call it done. If you want to keep the new car look, sparkling in the sun, then you need to think about each step and component of your wash plan. I'm a fan of microfiber towels. Now, you need good quality towels. There's lots of fiber blends and even split fibers out there and some are crap. Buy from a retailer specializing in car care and detailing and get the good stuff. I went to a website specializing in car care and bought a pack of 10 yellow microfiber towels for washing, wiping, and general duty around my car. I bought a 3 pack of super plush blue towels for drying and hand buffing. Along the way I've wound up with more yellow ones I use for interior cleaning and a black one I use for dirty work like under the rear and inside the exhaust. I have some I bought at a big box store and they don't absorb very well. Bad towels, lesson learned. Sometimes I use one under my elbow when driving to protect the console lid from indentations.

I only use one bucket because that's all that's needed for a first class wash job. No grit guard needed either, save your money for gas. For the price of a second bucket and a grit guard you can buy a 10 pack of quality towels and be far ahead in the car care game. I start by blasting the whole car with the water hose to free loose dirt. With my favorite car wash mixed in the bucket I take one clean yellow towel, dip it into the clean soap, and wash a panel or area of my choice, depending on how much dirt is on the car. I then toss that towel aside and rinse. You can use the other bucket for this since you don't need it for rinsing a mitt. Next I grab another clean towel and dip it into my clean soap and wash another panel and toss that towel aside and rinse. Grab another clean towel, dip it into the clean soap and wash another panel and toss the towel and rinse. Get the idea? Nothing but clean towels go into your soap bucket. Nothing but clean towels and clean soap goes onto your car. You can't mess up always using a clean towel. I use 5 or 6 towels most times. Mitts can trap small particles of grit and remain to scratch the next panel. Micro fiber towels can too, so that's why I toss them aside after one use. Never dip a used towel back into the soap, keep the soap solution clean. Rinsing turbulence might drift small particles of grit up through the guard and onto a mitt or towel you're trying to rinse. In fact, if you see cloudy water then that's a clue it's not clean. Why take that chance, small that it may be. This method, with products of your choice, will produce great results with little more effort than most methods described above and will help insure you're not doing unseen damage to your paint. I blow the rinse water away with a leaf blower and towel dry with the plush blue towels.

Cleaning the towels isn't hard. I wash mine in our washing machine, no softener or dryer sheets, with an extra rinse to make sure the soap is out. Dry in the dryer, again... no dryer sheets. Softener and dryer sheets inhibit water absorption. Look them over as you fold them to be sure something isn't stuck in the fibers. Not comfortable with a washing machine? Kindly ask your mate to wash them for you, explaining the need for clean wash cloths for your paint.

It all boils down to how much effort you're willing to give to the project and what results you're looking for. I want as close to show-like as I can get within my own abilities and resources. I sure don't want to hurt my paint by taking a short cut. Remember, if you see swirls in your paint.... then you're doing it to yourself. Or worse yet paying someone else to do it to you.
Makes sense. When I got my 370Z, my (then) wife gave me a pack of MF towels for Christmas. About 15 blue ones and 15 white ones. When I washed the car, I grabbed a blue one and used ONR. Then a white one to dry. Threw both on the garage floor and repeated. Afterwards, washed in machine (no Downey) and dried. Repeat. No worries about a "grit bucket".

Excellent advice.

May I ask what MF towels you finally decided were good quality--about to buy some for my new Corvette...
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky

May I ask what MF towels you finally decided were good quality--about to buy some for my new Corvette...
I'd look at The Rag Company. I love the Edgeless 245 All purpose and the Platinum Pluffle waffle weave.
The following users liked this post:
Slynky (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 05:38 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

"You can use the other bucket for this since you don't need it for rinsing a mitt. Next I grab another clean towel and dip it into my clean soap and wash another panel and toss that towel aside and rinse. Grab another clean towel, dip it into the clean soap and wash another panel and toss the towel and rinse."
Ha. I do that with Microfiber wash mitts. I have 8 of them. Very good.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:30 PM
westworld
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 High Gloss Car Wash Soap and rinse with a CR Spotless DI-120 Medium Output Standing System mineral-free, de-ionized water. No water spots.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by CarterRuss
I'd look at The Rag Company. I love the Edgeless 245 All purpose and the Platinum Pluffle waffle weave.
Yup!

I only buy my towels from The Rag Company
Old 10-20-2018, 09:25 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
If you DO use a hose:

Bought a bottle and used it today. It really worked... good car washing soap and it left a smoother, slick surface.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 10-20-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

My car is ceramic coated with C Quarts. So for a water wash I use

And for no water I use:

Old 10-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slynky
Threw both on the garage floor and repeated. Afterwards, washed in machine (no Downey) and dried.
I'd like to caution everyone about the practice of throwing a used towel on the floor. I'm not picking on you, Slynky, it was my first thought when I put this method into practice. Why not? I'm going to wash it later anyway. Simplest reason is that the dirt picked up adds to the towel cleaning process. Toss them into another bucket or something that keeps from adding to the dirt on the towel. Check for debris stuck in the towel's fibers after washing and drying. Things stick in the fibers and you don't want to accidentally scratch your paint with a particle that you could have found and removed while folding the dried towels.. Also, keep the wash towels, and drying towels too, from touching the ground as you work. If you drop a towel then get another one. Just like with clay bar, if you drop it once then it's too dirty to continue using.

I didn't invent this method, its a combination of things I've picked up as I've tried to improve my methods. My expectation is as near a show quality finish as I can get without expensive paint correction and professional detailing. Cleanliness is a base to build on. Substitute 10 clean towels for a mitt, substitute one clean bucket of soap for 2 buckets and mid-wash rinsing of your wash mitt or towel. Overall wash time is pretty quick and there's very little chance of scratching your paint with unclean solutions and mitts/towels. Add in a few minutes to wash and dry your towels and you're done. Better if wifey will wash and dry the towels for you.

If you're really serious about cleaning and detailing, then try this test. With your car clean, must be clean, place you hand inside a Walmart bag or some other thin plastic bag and gently wipe your hand across the paint. Pressure isn't needed, just enough to feel the paint. Is it as smooth as clean glass or does it feel like there's little bits of dirt on the paint? Mine, just a couple of months from the factory, had the little specks that could be felt. I had to clay bar and polish. But that's another story.

I've shown my car, a '15 Shark Grey Stingray, twice in a local Corvettes Only shine and show with over 100 Vettes on display and won an Award of Excellence both times. One guy accused me of having as garage queen until I showed him 30K on the odometer.

Slynky (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

If you're really serious about cleaning and detailing, then try this test. With your car clean, must be clean, place you hand inside a Walmart bag or some other thin plastic bag and gently wipe your hand across the paint. Pressure isn't needed, just enough to feel the paint. Is it as smooth as clean glass or does it feel like there's little bits of dirt on the paint? Mine, just a couple of months from the factory, had the little specks that could be felt. I had to clay bar and polish. But that's another story.
You can also do this without the bag - if you rub your bare hand over the paint, and you can HEAR your hand moving - then its not clean. The sound is the same if you run you hand flat over a piece of paper - that same "brushing" type sound. After you wash, clay and wax your car, rub your bare hand over the paint - I guarantee you wont HEAR your hand make a sound...THAT is when your have a clean car...
Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

@ No one in particular …

I had no idea something so simple could be so complicated. How do you folks get anything done in real life ?
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
Steve_R (10-21-2018), Walt White Coupe (10-24-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Ditto... and simplicity at its best.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 AM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Sounds very similar to the Gary Dean method.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:35 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
@ No one in particular …

I had no idea something so simple could be so complicated. How do you folks get anything done in real life ?
If it was so simple you wouldn't see so many cars with scratches and swirls all over them.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mayor111
You can also do this without the bag - if you rub your bare hand over the paint, and you can HEAR your hand moving - then its not clean. The sound is the same if you run you hand flat over a piece of paper - that same "brushing" type sound. After you wash, clay and wax your car, rub your bare hand over the paint - I guarantee you wont HEAR your hand make a sound...THAT is when your have a clean car...
I don't think people realize the damage that can be caused every time you physically touch your paint. The bag helps minimize friction and it really does feel different than using your hand.

I would never run my hand over my paint... That's just me. I only use the bag method to determine if the car needs claying. Otherwise, I don't touch my car at all.
​​​​
Old 10-21-2018, 10:48 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
If it was so simple you wouldn't see so many cars with scratches and swirls all over them.
That's a good point. I wonder if the swirled paint crowd is also the skidmarked underwear crowd ?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
@ No one in particular …

I don't see how it's complicated. Honestly, doing a full paint correction is a major PITA and it's what I'm in the middle of now, as I bought my car used. Has some minor spiderwebbing that I choose not to live with.

However, because I learned how to properly care for my car's paint, I won't have to do another full on paint correction. So really, it saves time in the long run to just wash and care for it right in the first place.

Again, it all comes down to how much you care about how your car's paint looks. If you don't care that much, then yes, some of these extra steps will seem unnecessary to you. I won't wah my car unless I have the time to do it properly.

This was my paint after 2 years of proper washing on my last car... No swirls!

Frodo (10-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Washing Your Vette?

Old 10-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Hell, it took more time to write it out than to do it. What's complicated about a 10 pack of towels and a clean bucket of soap? The only down side is washing and drying the towels. I'll bet I don't spend any more time washing my car than most of you, and sounds like a lot less than some. If an owner prefers their own method then I say go with that. It's up to each owner to decide what he/she wants and is willing to put into it.

Yes, it does sound like Gary Dean but I think I learned about the multi towel and clean soap stuff from glen e. Anyway, I'm just passing along what I consider one good method among many for those who wish to go an extra step or two.

I'm headed out to wash my car.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:15 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Hell, it took more time to write it out than to do it. What's complicated about a 10 pack of towels and a clean bucket of soap? The only down side is washing and drying the towels. I'll bet I don't spend any more time washing my car than most of you, and sounds like a lot less than some. If an owner prefers their own method then I say go with that. It's up to each owner to decide what he/she wants and is willing to put into it.

Yes, it does sound like Gary Dean but I think I learned about the multi towel and clean soap stuff from glen e. Anyway, I'm just passing along what I consider one good method among many for those who wish to go an extra step or two.

I'm headed out to wash my car.
I don't think GD invented this method nor does he claim he did. He just made it well known. It's my preferred method. Just makes sense!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:58 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Just wash it and use common sense.
What he said!!!!!

Quick Reply: Washing Your Vette?