Sponsored by:

Setting car for a youth driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 05:05 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1
Set to tour and let her go. It’s a car and yes it has more power than a Corolla, but it doesn’t really feel like it until you lay into the throttle. Her biggest concern will be clearance over obstacles and getting close to curbs just because the seating position is very different from what most people are used to.
So Just last night I took the car out to fill it up with gas for her visit,I stopped on the way home to get some pizza, and pulled up to close to a curb (not thinking) and when I got out and looked the spoiler was over the curb, I always say God Protects stupid people and in proof of that he protected me last night as the curb was just low enough for the spoiler to be above it , THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL OF THE GREAT REPLIES I must be more careful with the spoiler

Last edited by Ih2lose; 10-21-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

If you had her driving a BBC hot rod, she's not going to have a problem with this. With magnetic ride and PTM, she won't be able to hurt it. Mine doesn't have mag ride, but the standard stability control has saved my bacon on several occasions when I gave it too much throttle going around a corner. Even in colder weather, with less tire bite, the computer won't let the car get out of control.

In my opinion, the "nannies" on this car are so well integrated, and so well executed, that you really have to be just straight driving recklessly to get yourself into trouble. No need to put it into "Econ" mode. I think "Sport" will be just fine.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose

when I got out and looked the spoiler was over the curb, I always say God Protects stupid people and in proof of that he protected me last night as the curb was just low enough for the spoiler to be above it , ....I must be more careful with the spoiler
Assume you mean the front bumper as the base Stingray does not have a splitter and the "spoiler is in the rear hatch." My Grand Sport has a Stage 2 Aero option splitter made from carbon fiber. I added a "scrape armor" protector. They sell the same product to fit the base Stingray protruding front bumper. It can't help a direct hit but on my 2014 C7 I hit that lower bumper on a side curb when making a shape turn. It would have protected that scrape.

This is a pic of mine and I already hit it once when leaving a step driveway in town. Thank goodness no harm to my ~$1500 carbon fiber splitter! This is a PDF of my install. http://netwelding.com/Splitter_Protectors.pdf
It's simple. They make these for Ferrari etc. Contact info is in the PDF.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a pic of the Scrape Armor protruding bumper protector on a Stingray - from their website.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
This is a pic of the Scrape Armor protruding bumper protector on a Stingray - from their website.
I need this , thanks for the info,
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (10-21-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 05:10 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Well she been using the car with no problems, Just gets in it and goes, Her comments were there no place to put a purse with a passenger in the car, (she is used to a SUV) and there are allot of things going on in the car with all the buttons.and no place to put a phone

Thanks again for all of the input,

Last edited by Ih2lose; 10-24-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, "...no place to put a phone."

I know I'm in the minority and don't expect many folks will listen to this harangue especially a 26 year old but:

Been driving for ~60 years and never had an accident with another car! Attribute that to knowing where all cars are around me at all times, following Andy Groove's "Only the Paranoid Survive" philosophy (in all things in life well before he wrote the book) and LUCK!
1) I have my iPhone set to not receive calls while the car is moving.
2) Have never set up Bluetooth so I'm tempted to use it or know who sent me the useless text message, plenty of time to view those when I am out of the car.
3) Despite my wife still always saying "Why are you stopping, you have the "right of way!'" Yep but the driver with the stop sign may have just received a text message and they "just looked down to see who sent (quite probably a useless) message!"
(A young lady was recently killed by a log truck at a stop light on the highway near my home. The police believe she thought she was going through a green light but looked down at her phone, the light turned red and she drove into the intersection. The log truck going ~50 mph couldn't stop (if in fact the truck had slowed from the 60 mph highway limit that changes to 45 mph ~100 yards prior to the light but most of the traffic doesn't!)

Don't get me wrong, I often drive aggressively BUT when there is little or no traffic etc. Today with many distracted folks it is scary. I take back roads the 17 miles into town and one section is on a narrow twisty road. Few houses and most the 55 mph rural speed limit. I see cars coming the other way occasionally going over the sold center line. Did they hear a beep and are looking to see who sent the message? It crosses my mind.

For some folks it's a learned condition response- they can't help themselves. It's like Pavlov's dogs! Scary! Perhaps a rule for driving the Vette could be put your "purse and cell phone" in the rear when driving the Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-24-2018 at 06:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ih2lose (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 AM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

So I loaned my brother the vehicle multiple times because its my brother and I want him to enjoy the car too. He is 3 years younger than me so the gap isnt huge. He is 25 now.

The last 2 times he borrowed it, he damaged my car i had installed a carbon fiber front splitter and specifically told him to watch the splitter when you park it. Despite telling him that, he wrecked it. So about a year go by and my car got damaged by a tow guy and was at the shop i asked him to pick it up while i was at work and i thought to myself you know what since hes doing me a favor and the splitter incident happen he would be extra careful, I allowed him to take it out once again. When i get home he told me someone keyed it.

it wasnt hia fault but at the same time he didnt do his due diligence. He parked it in some street where there is heavy walking traffic and went to a resturant for 2 hours opposed to paying 3 dollars for municipal parking where theres cameras and security. Moral of the story is, in order to avoid any headache and heartache, just dont loan it even though its to a loved one. If you do, and something happens to the car, know that its just a car. I love my little bro but he is NEVER going to drive it again
Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

As for valet mode, forget it. It doesn't do anything to limit performance. If you have PDR it can record for you, but nothing proactive.

Quick Reply: Setting car for a youth driver