Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM
laserjack
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like an episode from Seinfeld................
Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Don C1
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Out of curiousity was it a stick or auto? My understanding is not many manuals get stolen because many don't know how to drive sticks
The following users liked this post:
Bfine Blue (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
Talk to your insurance company and discuss what you want done (inspection, detailing, etc.) before you will accept the car back and who will pay for the work. You pay the insurance company - they should work for you in cases like this.
This is the correct answer to your question and why you have insurance.
Slynky (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

This is the correct answer to your question and why you have insurance.
In theory...yes. Sadly, most insurance companies only think of ways to avoid costs.
Aerovette (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

To be honest it sucks that they found the car. I wouldn't want it back after that happened. Ugh I feel for you good luck OP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
akers4000 (10-20-2018), JimNeedsC7 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
To be honest it sucks that they found the car. I wouldn't want it back after that happened. Ugh I feel for you good luck OP.
I understand what you're saying and to a point, I agree. ON the other hand, what if there was no OnStar? What if they found the car, say..., 3 days later. As I understand it, the OP doesn't get a new car, he gets his old car back, right? Better to have it in a few hours than a few days...
Old 10-20-2018, 10:57 AM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

it a auto
Old 10-20-2018, 10:57 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
I hope the dealer changes their procedures and stops leaving the keys in the car. It might be a pain the *** for the service techs, but it will prevent this from happenning.

The car was inside the building. Where else would the keys be? Dealers have an insurance policy called Garage Owner's Liability. There are a limited number of companies that sell these policies as they are specialized. They will send a loss prevention analyst to the dealership at the beginning of the policy to do a walk around looking for best policy recommendations. They will tell you to always leave the keys in cars parked in the building. The reason for this is in case of fire, a much more likely scenario than theft inside the building. In a fire there would then be an opportunity to move the vehicles before they are totally consumed.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:58 AM
akers4000
Advanced

yes i agree
Old 10-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The car was inside the building. Where else would the keys be? Dealers have an insurance policy called Garage Owner's Liability. There are a limited number of companies that sell these policies as they are specialized. They will send a loss prevention analyst to the dealership at the beginning of the policy to do a walk around looking for best policy recommendations. They will tell you to always leave the keys in cars parked in the building. The reason for this is in case of fire, a much more likely scenario than theft inside the building. In a fire there would then be an opportunity to move the vehicles before they are totally consumed.
In a lock box, or in someone's control while the car is sitting unattended. How about some common sense?

Are you seriously also suggesting that service techs risk their lives to move cars during a fire? putting their lives at risk to save a car? that's idiotic.

Last edited by Thunder22; 10-20-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
I understand what you're saying and to a point, I agree. ON the other hand, what if there was no OnStar? What if they found the car, say..., 3 days later. As I understand it, the OP doesn't get a new car, he gets his old car back, right? Better to have it in a few hours than a few days...
In that case then yes of course. I guess I'm always thinking if my car gets stolen I hope its either gone and not found or if found so trashed that it's totaled. So yes, in his case, much better to find it a few hours later if getting it back as opposed to days.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 AM
C7GSCorvette
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If there is any damage to the car I would make the Dealer buy the car back. They are insured for this kind of stuff. Do you remember how much gas was in the car when you brought it in?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
In that case then yes of course. I guess I'm always thinking if my car gets stolen I hope its either gone and not found or if found so trashed that it's totaled. So yes, in his case, much better to find it a few hours later if getting it back as opposed to days.
I'm with you, of course. If stolen, I have replacement costs, so I tend to feel the same way--totaled or gone for good.

But we both agree that if it IS to be found, the sooner the better.
akers4000 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by akers4000
would it be unreasonable to ask for a extended warranty from dealer? this guy could have redlined car before it warmed up or beat it hard.
I would demand extended warranty, full on detail, and full on inspection of the undercarriage of the car. any scrape, ding, scratch on the outside or underneath or scuff on the interior should be made better then new -- when you leave a car at the dealer, they are required to use reasonable pre-cautions -- such as removing the keyfob when the car is unattended and placing it in a locked and insulated steel box so the radio transmitter would not allow the car to be started.

Is your car an automatic or manual transmission that was stolen? I am betting it was automatic - young thieves today can't drive manuals lol!

Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 AM
akers4000
Advanced

yes its a auto, i dont know details about the guy that took it yet.

had about 3/4 tank of gas

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-20-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I don't think you have any options...
The dealer will take care of any issues with the car and return it to you as you left it with a few more miles on it.

Good thing you had OnStar.

Glad you got your car back.
Sorry to hear this happened, but It's just one of life's little adventures. I glad to hear the car wasn't stripped, or damaged in any way. I'm doubly happy to hear the asshat that took it is in jail.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:56 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,004 Posts

In a lock box, or in someone's control while the car is sitting unattended. How about some common sense?

Are you seriously also suggesting that service techs risk their lives to move cars during a fire? putting their lives at risk to save a car? that's idiotic.
I am telling you common sense from someone who knows but you seem to want to dispute it. If a fire starts in a car at one end of a shop, techs at the other end are certainly capable of moving cars without risking their lives. Most fire scenarios in a shop are one engine compartment catching fire and moving cars next to it to keep it from spreading.

You need to think of never taking your car to another shop for service. First, in forty years I have never seen a shop where they remove the keys inside. Second, I will guarantee you the tech will leave the keys in the car while he goes to the parts department for parts.

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I would demand extended warranty, full on detail, and full on inspection of the undercarriage of the car. any scrape, ding, scratch on the outside or underneath or scuff on the interior should be made better then new -- when you leave a car at the dealer, they are required to use reasonable pre-cautions -- such as removing the keyfob when the car is unattended and placing it in a locked and insulated steel box so the radio transmitter would not allow the car to be started.

Is your car an automatic or manual transmission that was stolen? I am betting it was automatic - young thieves today can't drive manuals lol!
Let me tell you a fact you are really not going to like but can easily find is true. The dealer legally has no responsibility to the car whatsoever. When you take your vehicle for repairs and leave it in the dealer's care, you have made a bailment for mutual benefit. The shop has the responsibility to take reasonable care, something they did on a normal course of events. When the vehicle was stolen, it was the owner's insurance companies responsibility as they insure the vehicle.

Most dealers are going to do everything within reason to satisfy the consumer... as they should. But, when you start acting as if though you are a newly minted senior partner making demands, they can tell you to call your insurance company and ask what they will pay for. This is a fact that everyone who uses a shop should be aware of but few are and most will argue the opposite...wrongly!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-20-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote icon (in the lower right hand corner of each post) to make your responses look like this.
The following 7 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Aerovette (10-20-2018), AWOL (10-23-2018), Jmcdude (10-25-2018), kenownr (10-23-2018), Mikey Morris (10-25-2018), redzone (10-22-2018), Yaupon (10-20-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Old 10-20-2018, 12:07 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

A man who works with his hands tends to be pretty good at managing physical risks, but you wont see any techs saving a customer car.
You will see them pushing their toolbox out the nearest overhead door, Lol.

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am telling you common sense from someone who knows but you seem to want to dispute it. If a fire starts in a car at one end of a shop, techs at the other end are certainly capable of moving cars without risking their lives. Most fire scenarios in a shop are one engine compartment catching fire and moving cars next to it to keep it from spreading.

You need to think of never taking your car to another shop for service. First, in forty years I have never seen a shop where they remove the keys inside. Second, I will guarantee you the tech will leave the keys in the car while he goes to the parts department for parts.
As they should.
Anything else is totally impractical.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-20-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote icon (in the lower right hand corner of each post) to make your responses look like this.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Akers, I'm interested in what the dealership says about the entire incident and what they offer you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
1SG_Ret (10-24-2018), JimNeedsC7 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Wpw! What a story. Good job by OnStar and the police.

I hope it all works out for you in the end. I like the ideas of an extended warranty, and independent inspection. Sure, they may not be legally liable for those things, but it would be in their interest as a goodwill gesture for repeat business.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-20-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: My Vette stolen from dealer service bay