Sponsored by:

My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by akers4000
so i call dealer ( in connecticut) to see if my vette will be ready and they tell me mechanic went to lunch and when he returned cant find my car. missing from service bay inside shop. someone walked in and stole it.police called, onstar called and they disable car located in woechester N.Y. in a chinese resteraunt parking lot. tow truck is sent to retrieve car while a rochester cop camps out near the vette. as hes sitting there a guy comes out and unlocks the vette, now hes in custody. so car is back at dealer now hopefully in good shape. im going to check it out after work today. what would you do in this situation?
You should be suing the dealership for negligence. After all, they are responsible for your vehicle while you are away from your car.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 10-20-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AeroJim (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

It was probably a teenage car jockey employed by the dealer that stole the car. I would be finding that out if I were the OP.
How the dealer handles their end of this fiasco might really change if that turns out to be the case. The minimum would probably be that OPs insurance might demand any claim be subroggated to the dealers insurance. It's hard to know for sure.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Inside job? Another good reason to stay away from dealerships.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:44 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Inside job? Another good reason to stay away from dealerships.
Probably more like joyriding than anything else.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:00 PM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

we havent got there yet it was towed to dealership last night and ill be looking at it today at 3:30.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

we havent got there yet it was towed to dealership last night and ill be looking at it today at 3:30.
Interesting... why towed?
Old 10-20-2018, 01:14 PM
Dallas007
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

It was usually for psychological reasons but in my experience with our clients we would pay for a complete detail, independent inspection, flush all fluids when a vehicle was stolen then later recovered. Unless the tires show something from doing burnouts it’s hard to prove or disprove abuse. That’s really too bad, good luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

OP, do you use MyChevrolet app? If yes, it will show the full driving activity where all he took it and how hard he drove.
Slynky (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM
akers4000
Advanced

because it was headed to police department for swabbing and dna testing then the caught the guy

yes but how will that show driving activity?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-20-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-20-2018, 01:40 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Great Commercial for Onstar.
akers4000 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

yes but how will that show driving activity?
have you clicked the driving activity tab in that app? Pick yesterday’s date and it shows all trips with details
Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

How many miles did the thief put on the car? The dealer makes note of the mileage when they write up the repair ticker.
The quick recovery indicates the thief did not have too much time to 'flail' the car. I would not go in to 'panic mode' if very little mileage was indicated. Yes the dealer is responsible for any damage, however,,,,I'd not be quite as quick to 'write off' the car as many here have indicated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phanni:
akers4000 (10-20-2018), JimNeedsC7 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Probably more like joyriding than anything else.
True, and probably just needed to get to the Chinese restaurant.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

You probably don't want to let the police bring their drug-sniffing dog near your car.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:58 PM
akers4000
Advanced

no they cancelled that when they caught the guy
Old 10-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

write down the mileage when you leave it at the dealership

zero the first distance travelled screen when at the dealership

ask them to run a diagnostic that shows the refs over the last little while, they can do that

your welcome.

a friend fromCanada that does not smoke dope, if this was in Canada we could presume he was a lot boy and just needed to get lunch as he was hungey

later eh

��
Old 10-20-2018, 02:48 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Shoulda had valet mode on...

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
You should be suing the dealership for negligence. After all, they are responsible for your vehicle while you are away from your car.
Depending on variations in state law the dealer has some level of responsibility for exercising due care, but this likely is not unlimited.

This probably is all a tempest in a tea pot, with the car returned within a few hours. The dealer will check it out, likely there is no damage, and life will go on.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:02 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am telling you common sense from someone who knows but you seem to want to dispute it. If a fire starts in a car at one end of a shop, techs at the other end are certainly capable of moving cars without risking their lives. Most fire scenarios in a shop are one engine compartment catching fire and moving cars next to it to keep it from spreading.

You need to think of never taking your car to another shop for service. First, in forty years I have never seen a shop where they remove the keys inside. Second, I will guarantee you the tech will leave the keys in the car while he goes to the parts department for parts.

Let me tell you a fact you are really not going to like but can easily find is true. The dealer legally has no responsibility to the car whatsoever. When you take your vehicle for repairs and leave it in the dealer's care, you have made a bailment for mutual benefit. The shop has the responsibility to take reasonable care, something they did on a normal course of events. When the vehicle was stolen, it was the owner's insurance companies responsibility as they insure the vehicle.

Most dealers are going to do everything within reason to satisfy the consumer... as they should. But, when you start acting as if though you are a newly minted senior partner making demands, they can tell you to call your insurance company and ask what they will pay for. This is a fact that everyone who uses a shop should be aware of but few are and most will argue the opposite...wrongly!
You have a point. But a lawyer will point out reasonable care is when the tech was leaving the car he should have removed the key— even though they don’t do it as common practice. If the tech is questioned and he says he didn’t do that then the owner and the owners insurance company have a course of action as a reasonable action was not taken. Then you can bet if the dealer has to pay for this. In the future because of this one circumstance the techs will start taking the keys out of the car when they leave the car unattended. At that dealership for a while anyways until time passes and the dealer forgets about this incident.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-20-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:37 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

You have a point. But a lawyer will point out reasonable care is when the tech was leaving the car he should have removed the key— even though they don’t do it as common practice. If the tech is questioned and he says he didn’t do that then the owner and the owners insurance company have a course of action as a reasonable action was not taken. Then you can bet if the dealer has to pay for this. In the future because of this one circumstance the techs will start taking the keys out of the car when they leave the car unattended. At that dealership for a while anyways until time passes and the dealer forgets about this incident.
I think you are just arguing for the sake of argument. First the dealer says "Not my problem...call your insurance". Now, do you call your insurance or your attorney and start spending money? Rational people call their insurance who in fact know that any loss prevention guy says leave the keys in the car while inside. Now reasonable care is established and your insurance would not even subrogate. Anything else the dealer would do is going to be good will. Most likely there is not enough to be done to the car to even come close to the dealer's deductible.

After 40 years and multiple dealerships do you think this is my first rodeo. I have been down this road multiple times with this similar scenario.. The dealer did nothing wrong, did not want the car stolen, and is not trying to mistreat the customer. It is ridiculous to start trying to add up all the things you are going to "make the dealer do". As mentioned, it is probably a tempest in a teapot, the dealer will be gracious and the customer will be fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Maxie2U (10-20-2018), Steve_R (10-20-2018)

Quick Reply: My Vette stolen from dealer service bay