Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Old 10-23-2018, 04:42 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by flying_vette
Yes you need to agree to smart driver t&c to get this data. This along with the pdr in valet mode gives you all the evidence you need of any abuse when you leave the vette with anyone.
It also gives your insurance company all the evidence they need to raise your rates when you drive the car. It is AMAZING what they call "rapid acceleration" and "hard braking." Even your Granny would get caught using their guidelines.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:29 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
It also gives your insurance company all the evidence they need to raise your rates when you drive the car. It is AMAZING what they call "rapid acceleration" and "hard braking." Even your Granny would get caught using their guidelines.
insurance companies don’t look at onstar data for any of their decisions but whatever floats your boat!
And also it’s not just about hard acceleration or braking that you mentioned, its the entire driving history where all someone drove your car on the map and at what time. I’m sure many would find that helpful in theft situation.

Last edited by flying_vette; 10-23-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry but I throwing the BS flag...In todays business enviroent companies are selling their customers info left and right...If it has not happened uet, it will very shortly..And I am not a conspiricy theorist...It is just a fact of life right now..Hope I am wrong but don’t think so.......Has anyone heard from the OP om the original topiic about the resolution to hos stolen car???
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

insurance companies don’t look at onstar data for any of their decisions but whatever floats your boat! And also it’s not just about hard acceleration or braking that you mentioned, its the entire driving history where all someone drove your car on the map and at what time. I’m sure many would find that helpful in theft situation.
Some insurance companies TODAY offer a reduction in premiums if you allow them to install a 'dongle' to measure your driving habits. OnStar advertises that their information can be used to lower insurance rates. You must opt out of the driving data on OnStar, which behaves exactly as I stated and VASTLY overstates hard braking and fast acceleration . Now, if you believe OnStar will never sell their data to insurance companies, then you must also believe Facebook will never sell your data and Google will never sell your browsing habits. Right now insurance companies are ASKING you to participate for a discount. Tomorrow don't be surprised if they refuse to insure you UNLESS you participate with no discount. But you are advocating recording your entire driving history JUST IN CASE your car is stolen?? That's like installing a tracking chip in your body accessible to government just in case you are kidnapped. Like you said, whatever floats your boat, but I'm not willing to give up my data so easily.

The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
LIStingray (10-24-2018), Malum1 (10-24-2018), owc6 (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

let us know the outcome - but agree -= extended warranty for sure -
The following users liked this post:
akers4000 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad to read you got your vette back. Anytime a sports car goes missing and off for a joyride the results are never good.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I am glad to read you got your vette back. Anytime a sports car goes missing and off for a joyride the results are never good.
OMG look whos back.
Did you bring your laser light ? There's plenty of fun to be had around here …
Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Some insurance companies TODAY offer a reduction in premiums if you allow them to install a 'dongle' to measure your driving habits. OnStar advertises that their information can be used to lower insurance rates. You must opt out of the driving data on OnStar, which behaves exactly as I stated and VASTLY overstates hard braking and fast acceleration . Now, if you believe OnStar will never sell their data to insurance companies, then you must also believe Facebook will never sell your data and Google will never sell your browsing habits. Right now insurance companies are ASKING you to participate for a discount. Tomorrow don't be surprised if they refuse to insure you UNLESS you participate with no discount. But you are advocating recording your entire driving history JUST IN CASE your car is stolen?? That's like installing a tracking chip in your body accessible to government just in case you are kidnapped. Like you said, whatever floats your boat, but I'm not willing to give up my data so easily.
Two totally different situations when you accept an insurance company’s dongle to record your driving habits to benefit for premium vs. companies like google,FB or onstar selling your likes and habits for marketing reasons. One has a chance to stand in the court of law and other absolutely does not.

Last edited by flying_vette; 10-23-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Two totally different situations when you accept an insurance company’s dongle to record your driving habits to benefit for premium vs. companies like google,FB or onstar selling your likes and habits for marketing reasons. One has a chance to stand in the court of law and other absolutely does not.
Not the real issue here. You're missing the point big time. The commonality is TRACKING, and you want to do it voluntarily for a situation that happens rarely. That's nuts because the ability to stand up in a court of law refers to YOU, not some thief you've made up out of whole cloth. In all the years you have been driving how many times as your car been stolen? OK. How many times have you exceeded the speed limit by more than 5 or 10 mph? How many times have you rushed a yellow light on a left-hand turn just so you didn't have to wait through another cycle? When you allow tracking because you're afraid of a potential theft, you're allowing tracking of yourself. If the data is out there outside your control, then you're vulnerable. Good luck with that.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Great Commercial for Onstar.
not sure about that.... commercial starts out telling the audience the car was stolen while in Mr Goodwrenches care... message.. dont buy a car from a Chevy dealer but if you do, make damn sure you pop for the monthly Onstar subscription.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-23-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Oh gee another pissing match thread? That's new.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 AM
flying_vette
Pro

^^^ I've no intention of getting into any pissing contest if you directed it to me. I just shared an app feature that one can use if they want...thats all!
Malum1 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 AM
robertlevine
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

So... what happened?

I'm loving this soap opera! "Days of our Vettes"

PS - Check out my Corvette blog @ vetteblog.com!
Ranger5 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
One must admit that there are some very humorous responses to be found on this forum. I am sure the owner of a business worth millions, has insurance, and has an attorney on speed-dial is going to be totally intimidated by some jerk-off and give them a new car immediately. People must think these millionaire dealers are complete idiots.
x2 they could care less what someone on the internet says. They wont be giving away a new car for that guaranteed.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Similar thing happened here a long time ago. Kids broke into a dealer and made copies of the keys. Since the dealer was closed on Sunday back then - they would take a new car on Saturday night after they closed and bring it back on Monday morning. Worked well for a while until they crashed one rainy Sunday night.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Dealership should be grovelling at your feet and begging forgiveness. I would expect they could offer free oil changes for as long as you own the car (which IMO is something the dealership could easily afford, considering their culpability). In reality, they will likely offer you one free car wash, with complementary swirl marks included...
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Here we go again, it is getting more humorous. No, OSHA does not prohibit customers in the service area. That would be a made up excuse to keep nuts out of the area bothering techs while they are trying to work. Customers are taken to the bays daily in most every store to show them problems found on their car.In case you have never been in a store, service bays are often separated by a hundred yards or more and often on different floors. That doesn't even account for the detail shop or body shop often found in separate buildings.

I spent forty years owning and operating multiple dealerships. I saw one car stolen out of the building during working hours in all those years. This is in dealerships where a hundred or more RO's were written daily. It is not a problem that needs a solution that costs more in a month than the insurance loss on one car every 40 years. I know people mean well giving their advice but sometimes the total lack of knowledge quickly shows through.
If the thief hit an employee with the car as he was stealing it I guarantee you that said employee is suing the dealership for not providing a safe work place environment. you yourself said it "to keep nuts out" , don't nuts pose an unsafe work environment?

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Old 10-24-2018, 10:17 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,144 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
If the thief hit an employee with the car as he was stealing it I guarantee you that said employee is suing the dealership for not providing a safe work place environment. you yourself said it "to keep nuts out" , don't nuts pose an unsafe work environment?
This is just making posts without reason. There are no reports of an employee being injured in this theft. If an employee were injured in this scenario, it would be a Workers Comp claim. The dealer has no culpability in this entire event.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

This is just making posts without reason. There are no reports of an employee being injured in this theft. If an employee were injured in this scenario, it would be a Workers Comp claim. The dealer has no culpability in this entire event.
hahaha, it's ok, i know how tough it is for you to admit that someone else might be right about something

Old 10-24-2018, 10:45 AM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robertlevine
So... what happened?

I'm loving this soap opera! "Days of our Vettes"

PS - Check out my Corvette blog @ vetteblog.com!
the car is still at dealer for original warranty issue. i haven't talked to the since saturday. i'm hopping to get a extended warranty for this, they said they were looking into that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Vette stolen from dealer service bay