Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t find transport so I’m driving it. Questions

Old 10-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Can’t find transport so I’m driving it. Questions

i recently got a C7 convertible I purchased from my cousin which I will keep in Florida along with my Z06. 2014 and It’s has extremely low milage on it, and flawless but it’s still up in Syracuse in his garage. Called every transport company I can find that’s not a broker and I’m getting nowhere with them as they are giving me windows just to pick it up that are up to a month and a half. Sometimes 2-16 days to deliver after that. Syracuse does not seem to be on the routes of many trucks. Also because of the snowbirds they are giving me quotes of 1795 to 1995 from Syracuse to Naples which I just think is too high. .So now I’m just thinking I may take a bus from my home in Mass up to Syracuse, put some painters tape on front end and drive the thing down 81 to Naples myself. Anyone here done this trip? Only thing I’m worried about is finding a clear weather window.
My question is on a C7 vert, will a full size suitcase fit in the trunk with top up? Or what is the largest dimension bag that will fit in it? I usually just fly from Mass to Florida and carry one full size bag and one carry on duffle for laptop, camera etc. and I am now wondering exactly what to bring as I don’t like surprises when I get to the car.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 AM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Certainly your cousin can tell you, take pictures, make measurements, etc?
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (10-24-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Paul Bunzey
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trunk space

I don’t think a full size bag will fit, the truck works great for “carry on” size bags. If you can visualize 2 sets of golf bags in the trunk that is basically your room. We normally travel with 2 carry on bags and 2-3 small duffle bags or cosmetic bags with no problems. Good luck with your new convertible you will love it in FL.

Also do a google search for c7 convertible trunk space to see what you will have.

Last edited by Paul Bunzey; 10-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:57 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I criss cross this country all the time. Dont overthink it. Put some rainX on the windsheild and drive it straight through.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
Avanti (10-24-2018), owc6 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:59 AM
A320Flyer
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

48 wide by 11 high by 15 deep with the top down. It’s plenty of room for two medium sized bags. I use two pieces of soft sided luggage. Plenty of room for a trip for two.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:01 AM
A320Flyer
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

You might also want to get a Novistreatch bra. Good protection for a fair price.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

I agree that just get up there and drive it straight thru. From Syracuse to Naples you may want to take 2 overnight stops. People always forget how far it is just from the Georgia line to Naples. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Tpatt
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't take the bus. Took it one time and a 2 1/2 drive took 8 hours on the bus. One overnight bag should be plenty for a short trip like that.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:19 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

This time of the year most truck transports are moving the snowbirds south for the winter (full) . I fortunately was moving a car from Tampa area to NW'rn Pa. Went thru
a broker and was a very reasonable cost and great service (door to door). Good luck and this is a great time for a drive down thru the Apple-chain mnts. if not pressed for time.
Save the wave..:
Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Ericm1949
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried to find a transportation company for my 427 Convertible from Grand Rapids MI to my home in WA state & had the same problems you mentioned. I ended up flying over & driving back. Pack your gear in a soft bag or duffle. You won’t need much for your trip. I was extremely lucky on weather, sunny all the way across country with no rock chips. Just drive it & enjoy!
Old 10-21-2018, 01:36 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

With the top up you can fold the divider down in the trunk which just about doubles the storage so plenty of room. Painters tape or a bra will certainly ease your mind about any rock chips.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:46 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had my 2012 Grand Sport moved on open carrier from Ft Worth TX to Seattle with ZERO DAMAGE in April of 2018 for $1000

Through www.centraldispatch.com. My seller had access to a members sign in......

Contact Central Dispatch for details....
Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. My cousin couldn’t even get out to the car anymore because he is now handicapped. As it turns out a friend of mine will take my larger case down so now I only have an overnight bag. Any hotel recommendations along that route at about the halfway point would be most appreciated.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

You don't say when you plan on doing this trip but if it's anytime in the next few weeks the weather shouldn't be an issue. I would start to worry once it gets to the end of November and beginning of December though, I've seen some pretty big early winter storms roll through the northwest part of NY state that time of year and if your trip is taking you through any of the mountainous regions too the roads could be slightly icy in those higher elevations. Obviously the sooner you make this trip the better. I'm not sure if you've ever made a trip like this before but if you're trying to do it in just two days I would recommend against it. A couple of years ago we drove down from Oakville to Cape Coral in a rented minivan with our three kids, and we did it in two days but it ended up being two very long days of driving. That long of a trip is much better suited to being over 3 days. The distance would make you believe it can be done in two 12 hour days worth of driving but it's more like two 15-16 hour days worth of driving when you factor in traffic jams, stopping for food, etc. Breaking it up over 3 days makes it a more relaxing drive too, you can avoid driving in the dark that way.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If you don't have to rush too much, this could be a fun trip.
Google Maps says 1,426 miles/20:54. That's two brutal days (I-95 traffic), three normal days, or four easy days for fun stops.

Do everything you can to make sure the car is in good shape. The optional/Z51 19"/20"tires loose most of their grip below 40' and can freeze/crack below 20'. The base 18"/19" tires are a bit more forgiving, though GM still applies the same numbers to them. Use Weather mode if the tires are cold or any wetness on the roads.
If it's going to be below 20' in the morning, try to keep the car in a heated or at least not-too-cold garage, then start driving as soon as you're outdoors; to get some warmth in the tires. Be flexible in your schedule to avoid snow or Artic temperatures.

Stay safe, have fun, and post when you get to Florida!

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-21-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,561 Likes on 5,547 Posts

Luggage space shouldn't be an issue in convertible. As far as transport, every time I have had a car transported, they have beat their estimated time frame, usually significantly. Last time Intercity committed to picking up my new 2017 GS convertible in 4 weeks and delivering it 2>5 days after pickup. Well they picked it up on the 8th day after my placing the order and are delivering it 2 days after pickup.
Good luck with which ever method you choose to go with.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-21-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:23 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
You don't say when you plan on doing this trip but if it's anytime in the next few weeks the weather shouldn't be an issue. I would start to worry once it gets to the end of November and beginning of December though, I've seen some pretty big early winter storms roll through the northwest part of NY state that time of year and if your trip is taking you through any of the mountainous regions too the roads could be slightly icy in those higher elevations. Obviously the sooner you make this trip the better. I'm not sure if you've ever made a trip like this before but if you're trying to do it in just two days I would recommend against it. A couple of years ago we drove down from Oakville to Cape Coral in a rented minivan with our three kids, and we did it in two days but it ended up being two very long days of driving. That long of a trip is much better suited to being over 3 days. The distance would make you believe it can be done in two 12 hour days worth of driving but it's more like two 15-16 hour days worth of driving when you factor in traffic jams, stopping for food, etc. Breaking it up over 3 days makes it a more relaxing drive too, you can avoid driving in the dark that way.
Two days is going to be a lot of driving and not much rest. Ideally, take a friend so you can share driving and conversation. The extra plane ticket may be partly balanced by saving the cost of one overnight stay.

I have done an equivalent drive straight through with my wife and I sharing driving, but this was at the end of a long vacation, and we were ready to just get home!

Get notified of new replies

To Can’t find transport so I’m driving it. Questions

Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

If its really only 1400 miles or a 21 hr drive, I would be doing that straight through. Meaning, I wouldn't stop except for fuel until I got where I was going.
All this talk about two and three day drives, whos got time for that !?
Old 10-21-2018, 07:00 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

I flew up to NJ and drove back to South FL with my wife splitting driving duties with me. Put on a lot of miles but really got to know the car. Stopped overnight in South Carolina. Only other stops were for food or gas. As mentioned FL is the killer, it’s 7 hours from the GA boarder down to the Naples. Drove thru some really bad rain in NC but I just put the car in Weather mode and took it easy. Also got stuck in terrible traffic in Delaware. All told it was 1,200 miles and 19 hours. It’s the second time I’ve done the NY to FL run, happend once before after missing a flight during Spring Break.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If you don't have to rush too much, this could be a fun trip.
Google Maps says 1,426 miles/20:54. That's two brutal days (I-95 traffic), three normal days, or four easy days for fun stops.

Do everything you can to make sure the car is in good shape. The optional/Z51 19"/20"tires loose most of their grip below 40' and can freeze/crack below 20'. The base 18"/19" tires are a bit more forgiving, though GM still applies the same numbers to them. Use Weather mode if the tires are cold or any wetness on the roads.
If it's going to be below 20' in the morning, try to keep the car in a heated or at least not-too-cold garage, then start driving as soon as you're outdoors; to get some warmth in the tires. Be flexible in your schedule to avoid snow or Artic temperatures.

Stay safe, have fun, and post when you get to Florida!
All the above and what Kevin Jones said, too. But, when you said take 81 all the way down, I'm assuming you mean eventually switching to 95 south. (Yes, I'm looking at the map from Syracuse to Naples) Altho you can do it around Harrisburg PA, I'd suggest doing it BELOW Wash. DC. Traffic is insane there.

As to where to stop halfway and in what hotels, I'd suggest if you stay on 81 pick any larger town that has Hampton Inn or the much joked-about Holiday Inn Express---both chains are usually newer and better than the rest (yes, that equals pricier, too). It does depend if you go from 81 to 95 at I-64 or all the way down to Charlotte via I-77. The total trip is about 1475 miles, and the halfway is about 725 which is just about Charlotte (if staying on 81 to 77 eventually to 95) Otherwise, the halfway point is somewhere around Fayetteville NC to Florence SC on 95.

Good luck. I'd say sooner you leave is better, as weather can start getting worse very soon (tonite will be in the mid 30s in my area near Wash DC).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can’t find transport so I’m driving it. Questions