Sponsored by:

What to protect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Default What to protect?

About to get my new C7 clear-wrapped. What areas do most people wrap? I figured I'd do at least the full front and mirrors, but I'm also considering doing the entire body. What do people do for the ground effects (visible carbon in my case)?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:39 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Rocker panels!

The area just in front of the rear wheels, behind the door, near the bottom of the car is the most beat up location on mine, however I have no ground effects (yet). The Z06 style side skirts are on my list of must-have mods for this reason. Because on my previous car the rocker panels basically got blasted with rubber bits and rocks.

Full car wraps seem like overkill but last week it appeared that someone opened their door and hit mine leaving 3 nasty scratches. Thankfully it only damaged the clear coat and between compounding, polishing and buffing I got them knocked down to a level where they are not immediately noticeable.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I got just the nose of my C7 clear bra'd....no issues!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:41 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

if you have side skirts and splash guards, you won't need it on the rocker panels. But you could get the skirts wrapped to keep them nice if you think you will kick them a lot.

For sure do the nose, especially if you drive on the interstate and hw. I would also do behind the wheels as water and debris gets kicked up by them. I would also consider a cheaper wrap on the targa top. You will be handling it a lot to take it on and off. So instead of worrying if there is dirt on there and if your hands are dirty and start creating micro scratches and accidents while handling it, get it protected.

The doors if you think you will parking next to people.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I would also consider a cheaper wrap on the targa top. You will be handling it a lot to take it on and off. So instead of worrying if there is dirt on there and if your hands are dirty and start creating micro scratches and accidents while handling it, get it protected.
Good call.

My rear spoiler and hatch's center section (basically the just the width of the glass) was done as well. I assume the previous owner realized those parts get touched often when loading or unloading cargo so they require some extra protection like the top.

Get notified of new replies

To What to protect?

Quick Reply: What to protect?