Sponsored by:

18 years old and need advice owning a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 PM
franco10
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
I was 18 when I bought my first corvette. I will tell you that now at 32 years old I’m happy I did. Eventually life catches up to you and you have children. My corvette days are behind me for the next 15 years or so, but I’m happy I was able to experience and own them when I had the chance. I will tell you however at 18 it’s really easy to forget that you are not Superman. I did a ton of stupid **** in my c5 when I was 18 and it’s only by g-ds good graces that I was never hurt or in an accident. If you buy it enjoy it but be SAFE! It’s a very easy car to drive but also a very easy car to get in trouble with. Good luck.
Awesome! That is extremely cool, how long did you keep the corvette for? How did you manage the pull it off? 40% down, finance for 4 years?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 PM
franco10
Cruising

Wise words!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 PM
franco10
Cruising

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Yeah go for it as long as @GTRSOLO co-signs the loan.
HAHAHAH that was good!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:01 PM
franco10
Cruising

Originally Posted by JK 23112
Stay in school, enjoy the 2013 Camaro (certainly better than most beaters that students have to drive), work, study, invest and work some more. Graduate with honors and no debt.......then get a new C8 after landing that dream job.

Avoid marriage until you are at least 25 and self sufficient. Avoid children until you are at least 30, married and both of you are able to afford it.

Good luck!!

Will do! No marriage until i get that c8 Corvette and that dream job!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by franco10
Graduation hopefully Fall of 2021, I finish my 4 year 2020, and UF allows you to work on your grad degree your junior year of college. I'm not much of the beer and party guy, I really didn't put my whole life on this forum lol. But I have a girlfriend who I have been since junior year of high school, my high school allowed me to dual enroll (take college classes) my freshmen year so when I graduated high school I walked away with a full ride, money back, and with 50 college credits.

I have some cash safe for an investment property to create monthly cashflow, I will also become a realtor on Jan of 2019. I recently started my own business with aerial photography, this is why I want to become a realtor so I can help myself and help other realtors with my business. I am currently working in construction, making $900 a month after tax, my dad builds beams and all that so I work with him. He didn't want me building beams all day so he wanted me to go to college from the start, I am really fortunate. I've driven all the high end cars (of course because it's West Palm Beach). So I understand when most of the advice I receive is that I'm too young to drive a corvette. But I also have been driving since 15, and I've received 0 tickets. If I want to feel the speed of my car, just take it to the track. I'm also extremely minimalistic.

So to answer your question, hopefully I graduate Fall of 2021. Trust me, I have 0 social life, all I do is calculus, calculus, physics, girlfriend time, gym, student government, and sleep. I definitely want to intern to have the experience, because I know exactly what I want to do. Aerospace Engineering with a focus on rocket propulsion and anything with aerodynamics. Thank you for your input! I absolutely love the feedback, I still would love to drive such an amazing car! But I also have to understand that my time to drive one isn't yet. In my mind I had 23 because I'll have money saved, a rental property, stable job, and maxed out roth ira.
Y'know what??? I'm changing my mind about you. You're way ahead of where MOST of us were at your age in both education and finances. You work hard, don't play all that much, and are on a super track for success. You have your own business (aerial photography), will become a realtor in a few months, are studying to be an aerospace engineer (that will probably design space ships, send them to Mars, and stake a real estate claim for land there...but not without first taking aerial shots of the surface to find the ideal view-location...LOL), and have begun your grad studies while an undergrad??? Are you kidding me??? KUDOS, young Franco. GO BUY A CORVETTE and enjoy!!
The following users liked this post:
franco10 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 PM
51 stovebolt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There are 2 sides to this extreme, depend on rich parents to pay for the car or wait until you are 50 to get one. As I see it you seem to be very level headed (or dad would be giving you the opportunity) you will be in debt for the rest of your life one way or the other. Control is the key. Enjoy toys early, don't worry about being set for life at this age but prepare for it , it takes time. There are different philosophy's on this but mine is not how long you are here but enjoy the time that you are here !!! Luckily I have had this same talk with my son. do you have x-amount of dollars for a rainy day? do you have investments ? is your 401 maxed out ? Then go enjoy life, but don't be careless. Many of us aren't fortunate enough to have the option at your age, but most of us made it happen anyway. Good luck and be smart, I stress to my kids AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A PLAN. And that plan does not have to be my plan !!!!!
franco10 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:29 PM
franco10
Cruising

Originally Posted by IAIA
Y'know what??? I'm changing my mind about you. You're way ahead of where MOST of us were at your age in both education and finances. You work hard, don't play all that much, and are on a super track for success. You have your own business (aerial photography), will become a realtor in a few months, are studying to be an aerospace engineer (that will probably design space ships, send them to Mars, and stake a real estate claim for land there...but not without first taking aerial shots of the surface to find the ideal view-location...LOL), and have begun your grad studies while an undergrad??? Are you kidding me??? KUDOS, young Franco. GO BUY A CORVETTE and enjoy!!

lol thanks! but like you said previous, I should wait more and see what the future holds. I won't pull the trigger early and I will avoid having children like the plague lol (till in my late 20s early 30s).
Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM
franco10
Cruising

Originally Posted by 51 stovebolt
There are 2 sides to this extreme, depend on rich parents to pay for the car or wait until you are 50 to get one. As I see it you seem to be very level headed (or dad would be giving you the opportunity) you will be in debt for the rest of your life one way or the other. Control is the key. Enjoy toys early, don't worry about being set for life at this age but prepare for it , it takes time. There are different philosophy's on this but mine is not how long you are here but enjoy the time that you are here !!! Luckily I have had this same talk with my son. do you have x-amount of dollars for a rainy day? do you have investments ? is your 401 maxed out ? Then go enjoy life, but don't be careless. Many of us aren't fortunate enough to have the option at your age, but most of us made it happen anyway. Good luck and be smart, I stress to my kids AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A PLAN. And that plan does not have to be my plan !!!!!
I read that you should have at least 6 months to 1 year on an emergency fund, I am slowly building that up. My Roth isn't maxed out yet because I am saving more on that 20% down payment for a rental property. No current investments, only what I own on that Roth. I do love what you said about a plan. My realistic plan was to wait till 23 because I would be in better shape, and thanks to the positive feedback I've received, I will continue on my original plan. I really thought about getting a used 2016 corvette for 40k and putting 20k down and financing the rest for a term of 60-72 months. But then all the money I saved for that future 20% down on a house would banish and I would lose the opportunity of getting an investment home. Thanks once again!
Rebel Yell (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

When your ship comes in, have graduated, accepted a solid position /w good $?
Spend that first few checks buying your father something really nice, more than a steak dinner.
Make it something he w/couldn't do while raising you & any other siblings, only you'd know what that is.
He sounds like a great guy who imparted all the best on a fine son.
franco10 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Landru
Spend that first few checks buying your father something really nice, more than a steak dinner.
Make it something he w/couldn't do while raising you & any other siblings, only you'd know what that is.
Y'see this guy's post above? Do it. Follow it to the "T". He is right. And your parents deserve a lot of credit. A LOT. (PS if it were me, I'd include your mother in that, too)

Somewhat similar to IAIA a few posts above, I'm changing my mind, too. But I'm changing my view of, and about people in your age range that haven't got a clue about next year, ten years from now, etc.---and don't care even when it's explained to them and they agree with the new info they've heard. Which really means to some extent no one in their family "coached" them.

You've had it. You are not only lucky, but fortunate. And that's why the big reward and thank you goes to them---your parents---no matter how little or how much they have done to help you onto the right path. From what you've written it is more than just a minimal amount of support, guidance and counsel. I applaud you, and your parents!!! Really.
franco10 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 PM
franco10
Cruising

Originally Posted by Landru
Already planned! he always wanted an Audi Q7 so that will be the first thing I will get him (: I owe my parents everything, especially my father.
Landru (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:04 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Already planned! he always wanted an Audi Q7 so that will be the first thing I will get him (: I owe my parents everything, especially my father.
Whoaa!! You just went 0-to-60 in 2.5 seconds between a steak dinner and a >$50,000 car. I think Landru was thinking more like a cool vacation or a high-end big-screen or a new set of golf clubs, etc.. But hey, more power to you. Your heart is in the right place! (btw when you become a multi-millionaire, don't forget about your Corvette Forum buddies!! LOL)
franco10 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Not buying it Joe. The only Jesuit law schools (of the 9) where starting pay would be at the top of the scale are Georgetown, Boston College and Fordham, and at all three, the three year tuition & fees is over $170k.
The highest paying law jobs out of law school are with the big NYC law firms - they all pay $190,000/yr - there are no starting law jobs that pay "several hundred thousand dollars annually" - NONE. Top pay at a NYC big law firm for any non-partner (which is at least 8 years out of school) is currently $360k/yr. I have lots of friends at the NYC big law firms we use in our operations..
No disrespect meant, but you're not able understand what I wrote, so you're FOS. My niece graduated at the top of her class every year since K through undergraduate. #1.
She graduated at the top of her class in Economics from a Jesuit college. She was the #1 intern in her internship class at Ameritrade. She has saved $25K, in her savings account while she was in undergraduate school.
At her Jesuit Law School, she graduated in the top
20% - with honors. It was $125K value, FULL SCHOLARSHIP. The hundreds of thousands of dollars a year is earning potential based on her past and present achievement,, as her goal. She was just licensed to practice law by the State Bar Association 7-weeks ago. Give some credit, instead of droning about your backassward, back East bullsh8t.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

There are a lot of things to think about here. You are getting 5-6k every semester from scholarship, but don't you need that money to pay for school? It sounds like you might be penciling in this scholarship money for car payments.

If you start working to pay for maintenance, will you be able to maintain the scholarship requirements? I'm not sure what scholarship you have, but some academic based scholarships requires a certain level of grades to continue receiving.

As far as how long you should finance for and down payments etc., we can't really help you deciding that because we don't know the details of your financial situation along with your dad's. For example, what if you lose the scholarship for whatever reason, will your dad be willing to take over and is he able? Your dad will already be paying for your gas and insurance, which won't be cheap for an 18 yr old with a Vette.

Ultimately, you have to think about all that and see if all of that is really worth it to go through with for a car.

With that said, the Camaro is a very nice car for a 18 yr old college student. If I were you, I would keep that car and wait until I graduate, get a good job and buy a C8 when I can fully afford it with no hassle. Just my opinion, but it's your life, your decision.

franco10 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by 51 stovebolt
^^^^ More assumption/BS.
#1 No one has to wait until they're "50 to buy a Corvette" #2 No one has to "have rich parents to buy them a Corvette." #3. No one has to; "stay in debt the rest of their lives." I bought my 1st new Corvette @ 25. Paid cash. 2nd new Corvette @ 66. Paid cash. ALL my debts were liquidated including my home residence by age 50. Yes, my IRAs are maxed out every year. You're way out in the weeds lost somewhere. Lol!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-07-2018 at 02:10 PM.
franco10 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

I can sort of relate and have serveral pieces of advice. My mentality has changed since 2 years ago.

I was in your shoes kinda. I was 24 when I bought my first car. Not only was it new it was a corvette too. 2015 arctic white c7. I will admit, the high lasted a long time and to a certain extent its still there. I can only imagine what you are feeling at 18.

Do i regret buying the c7? Absolutely not.

Should i have bought thr c7? Absolutely not lol

It certainly drew a lot of attention which i would be lying if i said i didnt enjoy it. It was a great feeling. The car is amazing to look at, sounded amazing, was fast as hell.

what i learned in the past couple years from reading and experiencing the financial situations that came up and other peoples situations, is that frugality plays a major role in the success of an individual down the line. There is something also called instant gratification and delayed gratification. Successful people have mastered the latter while the poor prefer the instant. This is the same scenario here. It shows signs of whether that individual is on the road of success or leading another path.

The biggest advantage you have right now is time. You are incredibly young but if you insist on pulling the trigger there are serveral factors and tips you can follow to mitigate the damages.

1. Insurance and APR

your insurance will be sky high no question about it. You are very young with a high end sports car. You are automatically flagged. Interests rates are higher than a couple years ago. 3 years ago i got 0.9% at stellar credit. I can only assume you have little to no credit which is why you will need your dad to co sign which i STRONGLY urge you to NOT to do.

The alternative is to register the car in your fathers name so there isnt any complications. You are still responsible in making the payments and this will be an agreement for your father that he will condone the responsibilty of co signing without actually having to cosign. The rates and apr will be cheaper with this route. Lastly if you do not have a set plan in making these payments, I wouldnt reccommend you even thinking about getting it.

judging by your responses though, I think i know which route you will make. You sir, have a very bright future ahead of you.
franco10 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM
franco10
Cruising

Originally Posted by AceG
I can sort of relate and have serveral pieces of advice. My mentality has changed since 2 years ago.

I was in your shoes kinda. I was 24 when I bought my first car. Not only was it new it was a corvette too. 2015 arctic white c7. I will admit, the high lasted a long time and to a certain extent its still there. I can only imagine what you are feeling at 18.

Do i regret buying the c7? Absolutely not.

Should i have bought thr c7? Absolutely not lol

It certainly drew a lot of attention which i would be lying if i said i didnt enjoy it. It was a great feeling. The car is amazing to look at, sounded amazing, was fast as hell.

what i learned in the past couple years from reading and experiencing the financial situations that came up and other peoples situations, is that frugality plays a major role in the success of an individual down the line. There is something also called instant gratification and delayed gratification. Successful people have mastered the latter while the poor prefer the instant. This is the same scenario here. It shows signs of whether that individual is on the road of success or leading another path.

The biggest advantage you have right now is time. You are incredibly young but if you insist on pulling the trigger there are serveral factors and tips you can follow to mitigate the damages.

1. Insurance and APR

your insurance will be sky high no question about it. You are very young with a high end sports car. You are automatically flagged. Interests rates are higher than a couple years ago. 3 years ago i got 0.9% at stellar credit. I can only assume you have little to no credit which is why you will need your dad to co sign which i STRONGLY urge you to NOT to do.

The alternative is to register the car in your fathers name so there isnt any complications. You are still responsible in making the payments and this will be an agreement for your father that he will condone the responsibilty of co signing without actually having to cosign. The rates and apr will be cheaper with this route. Lastly if you do not have a set plan in making these payments, I wouldnt reccommend you even thinking about getting it.

judging by your responses though, I think i know which route you will make. You sir, have a very bright future ahead of you.
This forum is amazing! I wasn't expecting soo much inputs and different perspectives, thank you for sharing your story and for helping me out!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

This forum is amazing! I wasn't expecting soo much inputs and different perspectives, thank you for sharing your story and for helping me out!
You're a Forum celebrity, dude! A real estate agent that flies around on his self-propelled aerospace rocket he designed during grad school that takes aerial photos of neighborhood roads and local topography so individuals can add bonus value to their home values based on the fun-factor of driving home in their vettes!
franco10 (11-11-2018)

Quick Reply: 18 years old and need advice owning a Corvette