Why get HUD & NAV??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Default Why get HUD & NAV??

This, is why:

HUD with NAV (GPS) displays the prevailing SPEED LIMITS, in order to assist you in choosing to obey them. Potentially saving you hundreds in speeding fines.

The M7, as shown, briefly also displays the gear your
C7 is in with each selection made.

​​​​​​​You're welcome!
The following 4 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
MMD (12-30-2018), Perf n Restore (11-06-2018), repo czar (12-31-2018), shineocd (12-31-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

You do realize Android auto and Google maps will do the same thing, and can be projected through the infotainment screen.
I have Nav with my PDR, but never use it because Google maps is just much better.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If you need a HUD with NAV to know what the speed limit is, it might be time to quit driving and use Uber.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve_R:
hawkgfr (11-06-2018), MrBrightside (01-01-2019), Perf n Restore (11-06-2018), USMC 0802 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If you need a HUD with NAV to know what the speed limit is, it might be time to quit driving and use Uber.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:41 PM
dyoung
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 236 Posts

Or maybe cut down on the Lonestars..
Old 11-04-2018, 08:45 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Factory nav sucks on every car. Waze and Google Maps are now on CarPlay and they are *much* better.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:48 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
Factory nav sucks on every car. Waze and Google Maps are now on CarPlay and they are *much* better.
I completely agree. However I love having HUD on my cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by saleen556:
blkvet6 (11-04-2018), repo czar (12-31-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You do realize Android auto and Google maps will do the same thing, and can be projected through the infotainment screen.
I have Nav with my PDR, but never use it because Google maps is just much better.
Except for the fact with a HUD you don’t take your eyes off the road.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
blkvet6 (11-04-2018), markmo (12-31-2018), pkincy (11-06-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,694 Likes on 5,594 Posts

I agree as well, and I find HUD distracting and have no use for it, especially with a dash set-up as well laid out and functional as the C7.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (11-06-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Yes but they are not projected in the HUD, which would be cool. As I understand it AA has all the code to do this already. It asks the C7 what it's capabilities are and displaying Turn by Turn in the HUD is not one of the capabilities listed. That's a real bummer.

Again, the only time I use the factory NAV now is when I'm having too much trouble with AA or my phone is dead. In those times having the factory NAV, hitting recents then tapping on my home address gets me home.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:35 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I like the HUD, but can do without the antiquated NAV.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Obviously, 1LTs aren't equipped with HUD, and likely w/o NAV, unfortunately, you're left out of the loop.
NAV is displayed with directive audio prompts in the DIC. Fear not, your C7 equipped with HUD AND NAV will direct you perfectly. HUD & NAV, make any trip all the better. Without fumbling with all your aftermarket gadgets.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

, but I will say that the Nav system in the Dodge/Chrysler/RAM vehicles is very good.

I do really like the HUD feature though.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I understand many people like neither, but I enjoy both myself.

I got used to a HUD on my CTS and was happy to see it on the Vette. You can vary the display a great deal. I usually run with RPM and speed. Yes, the "speed limit" is portrayed, and I have found it does help me maintain speed in cop-infested areas (just saved me today, in fact), but the fact is the speed displayed is often inaccurate. You absolutely must verify it with a real speed sign. Having it up there frees the variable display on the dash for other things. The speedometer on the left of the dash I consider pretty useless. Its increments are small and it's off center. The HUD also integrates the Nav system when there is a maneuver coming up, which I find quite handy. The HUD is not in any way a distraction. I'm glad it's up there.

I find the on board Nav system quite adequate and the fact that it is integrated into the rest of the dash is also helpful. I understand it is not as up to date as something like Goggle Maps, but the flip side of that is the necessity of using your phone to make it work, and to get it "integrated" into the on board display is an exercise in frustration, jangled wires, an overheated phone, and using up way more data than is necessary. Waze is a case in point. In the city there are way too many alerts and in the country there aren't hardly any. The alerts themselves are often inaccurate or irrelevant (wrong side of the freeway, for example) Yes, I know you can set up Waze to only show certain alerts. It's just that for me it's not worth the hassle. I'm not the kind of person who lives on a cell phone, so it's really not second nature to me. I keep it off unless I want to make a call. Drives the kids crazy, but I tell them my phone is not for their convenience. The Nav system has rarely given me a serious problem (though it HAS, I admit.) The "Nav system sucks!" kind of comments I write off to hyperbole. It's not that big of a deal. Both the HUD and the Nav system have increased my enjoyment as a driver and helped make things a little easier. I would definitely get them again. If you've found something better for you, great! I'm just telling you my experience. They work for me.

Last edited by mschuyler; 11-04-2018 at 10:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
G8R-Vette (11-05-2018), Jgreg0912 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
, but I will say that the Nav system in the Dodge/Chrysler/RAM vehicles is very good.

I do really like the HUD feature though.
So glad I got it too!!

I'm ecstatic about ALL the bells and whistles my new 2017 C7 3LT came with! Just sharing the wonders of C7 HUD and NAV here!

Never owned a Chrysler car/truck, but that's great to hear! 👍
The following users liked this post:
Jgreg0912 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I understand many people like neither, but I enjoy both myself.

I got used to a HUD on my CTS and was happy to see it on the Vette. You can vary the display a great deal. I usually run with RPM and speed. Yes, the "speed limit" is portrayed, and I have found it does help me maintain speed in cop-infested areas (just saved me today, in fact), but the fact is the speed displayed is often inaccurate. You absolutely must verify it with a real speed sign. Having it up there frees the variable display on the dash for other things. The speedometer on the left of the dash I consider pretty useless. Its increments are small and it's off center. The HUD also integrates the Nav system when there is a maneuver coming up, which I find quite handy. The HUD is not in any way a distraction. I'm glad it's up there.

I find the on board Nav system quite adequate and the fact that it is integrated into the rest of the dash is also helpful. I understand it is not as up to date as something like Goggle Maps, but the flip side of that is the necessity of using your phone to make it work, and to get it "integrated" into the on board display is an exercise in frustration, jangled wires, an overheated phone, and using up way more data than is necessary. Waze is a case in point. In the city there are way too many alerts and in the country there aren't hardly any. The alerts themselves are often inaccurate or irrelevant (wrong side of the freeway, for example) Yes, I know you can set up Waze to only show certain alerts. It's just that for me it's not worth the hassle. I'm not the kind of person who lives on a cell phone, so it's really not second nature to me. I keep it off unless I want to make a call. Drives the kids crazy, but I tell them my phone is not for their convenience. The Nav system has rarely given me a serious problem (though it HAS, I admit.) The "Nav system sucks!" kind of comments I write off to hyperbole. It's not that big of a deal. Both the HUD and the Nav system have increased my enjoyment as a driver and helped make things a little easier. I would definitely get them again. If you've found something better for you, great! I'm just telling you my experience. They work for me.
Exactly my experience as well, Mike !

The HUD and NAV envy comes across as spiteful and mean spirited ne'er do well-mentality. Chalk it up to that.

​​​​​​​If you're interested in a new C7, you're not going to regret getting the HUD AND NAV!! Take that to the bank!!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:38 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

My 2LT z51 C7 came with both. Had I ordered a C7 new rather than allow the original owner to take the steep depreciation bath I would have opted for a 1LT.

HUD is an interesting novelty but hardly a necessity and not having one detracts not one iota from the true driving experience of a high performance car such as the Corvette. It’s a cool toy though.

Factory NAV is laughable. Basically my 5 year old Garmin provides better service and my updates are free. When a better unit comes available I toss it in the trash and buy and new one for a couple hundred bucks. With the factory NAV you are stuck with what will rapidly become an obsolete unit. Hell and this does not even address using Apple Car Play. So if you have extra money and just like ordering factory toys go for it just know it’s not something needed. It’s like ordering factory premium floor mats. Sure it looks cool on the window sticker but you can get far better for less money.

So it’s always a personal decision but neither factory product contributes to the performance of the car. Of course if you like interesting toys nothing wrong with dropping a dime on them if that’s your bag. 👍

Get notified of new replies

To Why get HUD & NAV??

Old 11-04-2018, 10:42 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I love the HUD, and every time I drive a car w/o it, I cry.

Ok, my eyes water just trying to look at the speedo.

Ok, just a little funning', but it really is true, after 14 years with a HUD, not having one is not fun.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Obviously, 1LTs aren't equipped with HUD, and likely w/o NAV, unfortunately, you're left out of the loop.
NAV is displayed with directive audio prompts in the DIC. Fear not, your C7 equipped with HUD AND NAV will direct you perfectly. HUD & NAV, make any trip all the better. Without fumbling with all your aftermarket gadgets.
Not really. I updated NAV and it is missing roads and subdivisions that have been around for years.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Since you asked "why"... I didn't.

Just more I can easily do with out. I do my "vigorous" driving at the appropriate racing venue and don't need to pretend I'm a fighter pilot on the streets.

Last edited by Avanti; 11-04-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Why get HUD & NAV??