Sponsored by:

Wheel/Tire Insurance-Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 AM
rotarydad
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Wheel/Tire Insurance-Revisited

My 2019 C7 Convertible 2LT/White/Red/Black Top/NPP/Auto/Chrome is scheduled to be built today . Been reading all the back threads on the C7 (now at page 500+) and am considering Wheel/Tire Insurance. I read this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-worth-it.html

But a few further thoughts:
-This car is not a daily driver but I will be driving it a lot more than our present (pristine) 2000 C5. (FS in the CF Sale section).
-My Honda Pilot seems to pick up every nail/screw in the road. The wider tires of the C7 might pick up even more.
-We have here in mid-Gulf Florida, some very old, tall and angry road curbing. I scratched my C5 polished aluminum wheels once but they could be buffed out.
-The ordered Chrome wheels, unlike polished aluminum or painted, can't be buffed.

So, Dealer insurance or something else?

If either, and I'm out on some far-away road somewhere, do I, for example, have to take the car/tire back to the place/dealer/franchise, that sold me the insurance policy? For example, a tire insurance policy from Discount Tire, what if there are none in my location at the time?

Thanks, Bob

PS: I do carry a 12 volt pump, tools and plugs...
Old 11-12-2018, 06:56 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Tire and wheel insurance tends to make a lot of sense on these cars since one nail near the sidewall will pay for the policy. I got it for my 2019 GS. At $529 for 5 years it was just some extra piece of mind. The policy can typically be used at any dealer or tire shop. You just need a qualified shop to confirm the tire damage or if it won’t hold air and they replace it.

The cosmetic damage policies are a bit tougher. They may make a judgement call whether some curb rash wheel gets repaired or replaced so I just opted for the standard coverage, which basically means if the tire can’t hold air because the wheel is cracked or tire is damaged they will replace it.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by rotarydad
My 2019 C7 Convertible 2LT/White/Red/Black Top/NPP/Auto/Chrome is scheduled to be built today . Been reading all the back threads on the C7 (now at page 500+) and am considering Wheel/Tire Insurance. I read this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-worth-it.html

But a few further thoughts:
-This car is not a daily driver but I will be driving it a lot more than our present (pristine) 2000 C5. (FS in the CF Sale section).
-My Honda Pilot seems to pick up every nail/screw in the road. The wider tires of the C7 might pick up even more.
-We have here in mid-Gulf Florida, some very old, tall and angry road curbing. I scratched my C5 polished aluminum wheels once but they could be buffed out.
-The ordered Chrome wheels, unlike polished aluminum or painted, can't be buffed.

So, Dealer insurance or something else?

If either, and I'm out on some far-away road somewhere, do I, for example, have to take the car/tire back to the place/dealer/franchise, that sold me the insurance policy? For example, a tire insurance policy from Discount Tire, what if there are none in my location at the time?

Thanks, Bob

PS: I do carry a 12 volt pump, tools and plugs...
You do realize that the C7 has run flat tires.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 AM
rotarydad
Instructor

"You do realize that the C7 has run flat tires.:

Yup, but if I am traveling to some small town here in Florida, which I eventually want to do, the RunFlats are mostly good to get me to some podunk tire fix-it shop where they use a crowbar to get the tire of the rim. Just wondering what the procedure is to get the tire fixed or replaced. Do I have to get the car back (perhaps by roll-back) to the local Chev dealer/tire franchise where I bought the insurance policy, or does that local podunk tire fix-it shop send away for the proper tire and try to mount it so I can get home.

Regarding the Chrome wheels, if I scratch it against a curb, do these policies normally replace the rim?

Just trying to figure out whether the Wheel/Tire policy makes any sense for me. Thanks, Bob
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM
rotarydad
Instructor

"At $529 for 5 years it was just some extra piece of mind".

I've read that the Chev dealer charges $1200 for the wheel/tire policy. Where does the $529 come from and is it just for the tires or the wheels too...Bob
Old 11-12-2018, 08:41 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rotarydad
"At $529 for 5 years it was just some extra piece of mind".

I've read that the Chev dealer charges $1200 for the wheel/tire policy. Where does the $529 come from and is it just for the tires or the wheels too...Bob
The policies are all 3rd party so it depends what the finance guys at your particular dealership are offering. The policy I got is for wheel and tire but not cosmetic wheel damage coverage. For example, if I hit a pothole and bend the rim they will have to fix it or replace it. If that same pothole puts a nice bubble in the run flat tire then the tire gets replaced. If you get a nail too close to the sidewall and it can't be patched, new tire. If you roll up and the tech finds that the tire/wheel is not holding air do to a cracked rim, etc. it gets replaced. However, I did not buy the cosmetic damage policy for $759, which covers things like curb rash, pitting, rock damage, etc. The feedback I got was that the cosmetic damage policy is that more often than not subject to interpretation and usually winds up having to be repaired vs replaced.

I normally don't buy these policies and don't have them on any of my other cars but there have been enough reports of bent wheels on the GS/Z06 and considering the cost of tire is $400-500 + mount and balance I just went for it. Like all insurance you hope you never need to use it.

Last edited by falcon5619; 11-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I went and bought the GM Tire & Wheel Cosmetic insurance for my 17 GS. It was a peace of mind thing for me. Roads in my area in spring into early summer can be littered with potholes. Cold patch that is used to fill potholes pop out with freezing temps and a consent problem until the hot black top is used later in spring into summer. Mine was 1200.00 for a 60 month coverage.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 11-12-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Generally speaking, tire/wheel policies are zero-deductible, zero cost to you if you take it back to the selling dealer. You do get reimbursed some if you take it somewhere else, but that generally involves out-of-pocket costs.

My $500, 5-yr plan purchased from Criswell when I took delivery in 2/18 has already paid for itself, with rear tire replaced, and one front puncture repaired. It cost me zero taking it back to Criswell, but would have cost me $250 taking it to a closer dealer.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 AM
rotarydad
Instructor

So, based on the normal nail/screw in a tire, I'd just plug it while out, fill up the tire with the 12 volt pump, and when I get to it, take the car back to my local dealer here in Bradenton for a proper fix or replacement.

Most of the nails/screws that I've gotten in my Honda Pilot caused no air leak at all. I just saw them in the tread and I pulled it out, plugged when I was ready.

I'll see what the local dealer wants for the Wheel/Tire Insurance...

Thanks for the info...Bob
Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Actually, if a tire is holding air or has a very slow leak with a nail or screw in it, it's not a good idea to pull it. Once you pull it and plug from the outside you compromise the ability to fix it properly with an inside patch/plug.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-12-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM
rigelkentaurus
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

Have a new 2019 GS. I don't have the wheel / tire insurance. If I bend or crack a wheel, my plan is to replace them all with Cray Spiders and be done with the OEM wheels. For tires, I only expect about 1-2 year life from them, so don't see the point to insure the tires.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Well, all I'll say to that is that both my punctures were within 6 months of taking delivery of my car. One replaced rear PSS, and one fixed front tire, including labor costs, exceeded the $500 cost of the 5-year plan. One rear tire in a 5-year period essentially equals the cost of the plan.

Moreover, given your claimed usage you'll be replacing the tires in that 5-year period once or twice, and they'd be covered too. However, aftermarket wheels wouldn't be.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Many/most wheel & tire insurance plans allow the company to repair your wheel or Give you a repaired used one, even though GM’s official policy is to replace and not repair.
Some of them require you to be driving on a paved public road, I’ve heard of curb damage being denied because the driver had left “the roadway “. Not common but apparently happens. I’m also told that the GM insurance is relatively expensive because they replace wheels rather than repairing.

While in Death Valley we discoved pothole damage to one of the AS Michelin s we had bought back home from Discount Tires. None of their stores were nearby so we got a replacement from another chain, showed the receipt to a DT store later and they refunded us the cost except for the $25 higher that the other chain charged. But DT did not pay for the mounting & balancing, nor for the road hazard ins on the replacement tire.
In other words, good but not great.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rigelkentaurus
Have a new 2019 GS. I don't have the wheel / tire insurance. If I bend or crack a wheel, my plan is to replace them all with Cray Spiders and be done with the OEM wheels. For tires, I only expect about 1-2 year life from them, so don't see the point to insure the tires.

Replacement tires are covered as well within the 5 year period.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Replacement tires are covered as well within the 5 year period.
If that were true everyone would buy that insurance and insurance companies would go bankrupt.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Moreover, given your claimed usage you'll be replacing the tires in that 5-year period once or twice, and they'd be covered too.
That cannot be true.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 11-13-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel/Tire Insurance-Revisited

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire Insurance-Revisited