Sponsored by:

Z51 Ride vs Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Z51 Ride vs Grand Sport

I have a loaded 2015 Z51 vert with mag ride (including the new update). I'm thinking of trading for a 2019 GS vert.

I love the ride/handling on my Z51. Will the ride on a GS vert be comparable or with the bigger tires and/or slightly wider platform, does the GS ride louder and rougher?

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Tires are probably louder because they're wider. This doesn't bother me at all. I never hear it, never think about it. Rougher? All GS have mag ride so that's not an issue. Flip it in tour and enjoy no matter how rough the road. For me it's all about the performance so you have to take my words with that perspective in mind. Many people whine about things I simply don't care about. I just want a sporty ride, don't care about tire noise. I wanted a sports car not a Cadillac. Same with trim. Give me a 1LT anytime. The more simple the better. It's a sports car. If they had a 0LT that stripped out 200 pounds I'd be all over it. I pretty much just need AC. I'm a sunny day driver. I can't offer much for the Z51 to GS comparison. I came from a 2004 z06. The Grand Sport has an amazing planted feel. Those wide tires are super sticky. I love the wide body look. Brakes are amazing.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 11-12-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:49 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,596 Posts

The GS has lower profile tires of 25/30 vs. 30/35, so the ride might be a little harsher, but the mag ride should minimize the difference. The GS tires are obviously wider, so a little more road noise, but Verts are pretty quiet. Overall, any differences will be negligible, however, I’d still take a GS for a spin to come to your own conclusion.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

I drove a couple GS before I bought my z51. In day to day type driving I could not tell any difference between the two. I am sure on a track or magazine racing there might be a difference but really it comes down to appearance preference.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Barnwood
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I purchased my Grand Sport I read many threads on this forum about the noisy tires and the harsh ride that the corvettes had. As Zjoe6 mentions above it's a sports car not a Cadillac and I personally was surprised at how good the ride is for a car that can handle the turns as well as this one does. I have a vert and with the top down and the A/S 3 ZP tires that I put on when I took delivery of the car I don't notice any road noise or harsh ride only a nice exhaust note when you give it some gas.I added the 2lt package which has a few more creature comforts that makes the ride more enjoyable for me.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I drove a couple GS before I bought my z51. In day to day type driving I could not tell any difference between the two. I am sure on a track or magazine racing there might be a difference but really it comes down to appearance preference.
I agree. In the real world, nobody could tell the difference. If road noise is really an issue, install all season tires. I just mounted my other wheels and tires (Z51 size, Bridgestone's) and they are MUCH quieter than the stock Pilot SS's.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:19 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by javenius
I have a loaded 2015 Z51 vert with mag ride (including the new update). I'm thinking of trading for a 2019 GS vert.

I love the ride/handling on my Z51. Will the ride on a GS vert be comparable or with the bigger tires and/or slightly wider platform, does the GS ride louder and rougher?

Thanks
Jim
I went from a 2017 Base Coupe to a 2019 GS Vert. I find the GS quieter and smoother than my base C7. As you already know, MRC in Tour mode with the new calibration is great if you want to soak up the bumps. For day-to-day cruising you may not notice much difference between the Z51 and GS but once you push it a bit you will. The GS feels more planted and will stick much better when you hammer the throttle through the turns. The brakes are have a ton of bite and feel really good.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Tires are probably louder because they're wider. This doesn't bother me at all. I never hear it, never think about it. Rougher? All GS have mag ride so that's not an issue. Flip it in tour and enjoy no matter how rough the road. For me it's all about the performance so you have to take my words with that perspective in mind. Many people whine about things I simply don't care about. I just want a sporty ride, don't care about tire noise. I wanted a sports car not a Cadillac. Same with trim. Give me a 1LT anytime. The more simple the better. It's a sports car. If they had a 0LT that stripped out 200 pounds I'd be all over it. I pretty much just need AC. I'm a sunny day driver. I can't offer much for the Z51 to GS comparison. I came from a 2004 z06. The Grand Sport has an amazing planted feel. Those wide tires are super sticky. I love the wide body look. Brakes are amazing.
The GS has MUCH stiffer springs and will ride much stiffer and harsher. Specially the z07 model. The MSRC update can help by softening up the shocks to be closer but you the z51 will be softer. The z51 has the softest springs of all corvettes. You'll get used to it but it's not the same.

Originally Posted by sTz
The GS has lower profile tires of 25/30 vs. 30/35, so the ride might be a little harsher, but the mag ride should minimize the difference. The GS tires are obviously wider, so a little more road noise, but Verts are pretty quiet. Overall, any differences will be negligible, however, I’d still take a GS for a spin to come to your own conclusion.
That's not how tire profiles work. The tires have nearly the exact same sidewall thickness. Its 25% of 335 vs 30% of 285 for the rear. 83.75 mm vs 85.5 mm. That's negligible.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Ride vs Grand Sport

Quick Reply: Z51 Ride vs Grand Sport