C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
So, in 2017, the front spring rate on a Z51 without MSRC was the same as a base Stingray but the Z51 without MSRC had a stiffer rear spring rate.
Care to edit that?
Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
You will run out of talent long before you reach the limits of what either car is capible of.

Attending 1 or 2 track days a year doesn't make a whit of difference.
As someone who instructs at HPDE events the above statement is 100% accurate. If you want a GS buy it, but if you think you need because it handles better you are fooling yourself. If you are going to track the car often and are prepared for the costs associated with it (tires, brakes, etc) then a GS clearly has the required upgrades that make it worthy of your consideration.

And last time I checked sway bars don't make a car any stiffer, that what shocks do - actually springs but the 'Vette uses a mono leaf spring which acts a bit like a sway bar. In theory sway bars only transfer the load during cornering. Now on a really bad surface stiffer sways might transfer those side load style impacts more often leading to the feeling of a harsher ride.
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
And last time I checked sway bars don't make a car any stiffer, that what shocks do - actually springs but the 'Vette uses a mono leaf spring which acts a bit like a sway bar. In theory sway bars only transfer the load during cornering. Now on a really bad surface stiffer sways might transfer those side load style impacts more often leading to the feeling of a harsher ride.
If both wheels on front or rear go over a wide bump the sway bar has tlttle effect on ride. It that case it just piviots up and down as it's connected to the lower "A" arms and rotates on mounts on the chassis. But if one wheel hits a bump the sway bar acts like a spring. The end attached to the wheel that doesn't move vertically remains stationay but the wheel that does move up or down must twist the bar just like in torsion bar suspension. The Grand Sport sway bar is very large and is a signiciant added spring in that case.

As you note, a sway bars main function is to reduce the car leaning in a turn. Also the C7 like most modern Vettes has the single spring mounted in two spaced locations on the chassis. That causes it to bend in an "S" shape in that spaced section and as you say acts like a sway bar. Probably one reason the base C7 does noy have of neeed one.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-15-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:28 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

GS is:
More money.
Looks better.
More brake.
Tracks better.
A bit more more restraint required when wet, snow and just slick than Stingray. More rubber.

I have a GS.

Happy hunting
Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,145 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Care to edit that?
I'm referring to the information in this link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-rates.html
Basically, it says the spring rate rates between the Z51 without MSRC and a base Stingray are similar. But when MSRC is added to the Z51 it comes with softer springs than the base Stingray.
Do you think I'm interpreting it wrong? (it is a little confusing)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Z51 vs Base

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I'm referring to the information in this link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-rates.html
Basically, it says the spring rate rates between the Z51 without MSRC and a base Stingray are similar. But when MSRC is added to the Z51 it comes with softer springs than the base Stingray.
Do you think I'm interpreting it wrong? (it is a little confusing)

To OP: It seems to me you and your wife are happy with current car so I think you should get some duffel bags, if you haven't already bought some, and make it work with the convertible. But that's just my opinion, of course, and I bought a base model with mag ride, 2lt, convertible, manual trans, and added a rear sway bar. Unless you plan on tracking the car you already have pretty much a great car for cruising AND spirited driving. At least in my case my wife liked the ride better on the base car than the GS. We've got close friends who have a Z06/07, and while it's an awesome machine, it does ride a bit rougher than the base car. It still rides awfully nice for a race car though! And both the wife and I thought the Conversation cars were quieter than the coupes we test drove. No substitute for top down cruising along the coast either.
Ih2lose (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:33 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
If both wheels on front or rear go over a wide bump the sway bar has tlttle effect on ride. It that case it just piviots up and down as it's connected to the lower "A" arms and rotates on mounts on the chassis. But if one wheel hits a bump the sway bar acts like a spring. The end attached to the wheel that doesn't move vertically remains stationay but the wheel that does move up or down must twist the bar just like in torsion bar suspension. The Grand Sport sway bar is very large and is a signiciant added spring in that case.

As you note, a sway bars main function is to reduce the car leaning in a turn. Also the C7 like most modern Vettes has the single spring mounted in two spaced locations on the chassis. That causes it to bend in an "S" shape in that spaced section and as you say acts like a sway bar. Probably one reason the base C7 does noy have of neeed one.
I had a 2017 base Stingray before I upgraded to the G and imo it really needs the rear sway bar. The first time I chucked it into a corner I was like what the heck, the rear end was flopping around and did not inspire much confidence. Now don't get me wrong, I understand why they leave off the rear sway bar on the base suspension, it is so the rear suspension soaks up the bumps better and like you said with a sway if you hit a bump with the right side of the car you feel it on the left as well rather than isolating the impact energy to the single wheel. Furthermore, as mentioned the leaf spring setup kind of acts like a sway but I didn't like it. I immediately ordered the Z51 sway bars and bushings for $350 and it made a huge difference. The rear end felt much more planted when powering out of a corner, turn in was sharper. The base car should really come this way from the factory and they should just leave the smaller base shocks and springs to keep it softer than the Z51.

Last edited by falcon5619; 11-16-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by rrepp
To OP: It seems to me you and your wife are happy with current car so I think you should get some duffel bags, if you haven't already bought some, and make it work with the convertible. But that's just my opinion, of course, and I bought a base model with mag ride, 2lt, convertible, manual trans, and added a rear sway bar. Unless you plan on tracking the car you already have pretty much a great car for cruising AND spirited driving. At least in my case my wife liked the ride better on the base car than the GS. We've got close friends who have a Z06/07, and while it's an awesome machine, it does ride a bit rougher than the base car. It still rides awfully nice for a race car though! And both the wife and I thought the Conversation cars were quieter than the coupes we test drove. No substitute for top down cruising along the coast either.
Again than you everyone. I am on the hunt for a LT3 Coupe in the charcoal color with the same option we have in our convertable.

I kinda figure the GS model was more then just badging, but none of the items described are needed by us.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
I had a 2017 base Stingray before I upgraded to the G and imo it really needs the rear sway bar. The first time I chucked it into a corner I was like what the heck, the rear end was flopping around and did not inspire much confidence. Now don't get me wrong, I understand why they leave off the rear sway bar on the base suspension, it is so the rear suspension soaks up the bumps better and like you said with a sway if you hit a bump with the right side of the car you feel it on the left as well rather than isolating the impact energy to the single wheel. Furthermore, as mentioned the leaf spring setup kind of acts like a sway but I didn't like it. I immediately ordered the Z51 sway bars and bushings for $350 and it made a huge difference. The rear end felt much more planted when powering out of a corner, turn in was sharper. The base car should really come this way from the factory and they should just leave the smaller base shocks and springs to keep it softer than the Z51.
I agree! I swear by the addition of the Z51 sway bar kit on the base FE1 or FE2 suspensions. Gives the car much more stability for spirited driving without sacrificing ride. IMHO... The reason they don't offer this setup standard on both FE1 and FE2 is because it would keep sales away from Z51.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep, have added properly designed stiffer front and rear sway bars to a number cars. Makes a significant difference.

Also have added polyurethane sway bar bushing that also make a significant difference. Recall I added those to my S-10 that came with HD suspension (springs, shocks,and an extra "hop shock" in the rear angled to reduce spring wrap-up), large front and rear sway bars and quick steering. It had wider wheels and tires and came lowered 3 inches from the standard S-10. The less compliant polyurethane sway bar bushing reduced body roll and you quickly could feel if going at excessive speed for a turn. But it also made the ride stiffer. . Yep lots of things can be done to made it handle better but most also make the ride stiffer.

I got my September 2013 built Z51 in October. The Z51 was only a $2800 option. Could not beat that price for, HD brakes, HD front and added rear sway bar, 46 mm Bilstein shocks (versus 36 mm on the base Stingray) rear spoiler, dry sump, eLSD, coolers on the M7 trans and dif, lager wheels and tires. Could not beat that price and you got much more than a HD front and added rear sway bar. Folks that bought the base Stingray got the softest ride.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-16-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

When I decided on a new Vette a little over a year ago (after a 15 year dry spell since the last one), I was nearly ignorant on the differences between the GS and the Stingray and Z51. (I decided early on that I didn't need the additional horsepower of a Z06.)

After a number of exploratory visits to local dealers (most with limited stock and almost none with 2018 GS models), I instantly knew the GS was for me due to it's more aggressive looks. When I was ready to pull the trigger, I couldn't find a local dealer that had an extended stock of either 2017/2018 GS models. One dealer had 30-40 Vettes in stock, but no GS, only Z06, Stingrays, and Z51s. Why no GS? That told me something.

Disappointed in my ability to find locally sourced GS models, I decided to try to deal on one of the more than several 2017 Z51s 3LTs that the larger dealer had in stock in January of this year. While I was dismayed that they all had a build date back in August 2016 and had been on the lot for over a year, they had just a few miles. After consulting a number of websites on the average discount that should be offered for my area, the dealer refused to budge from their advertised price which was a few thousand more than what I had researched. They wouldn't come down an additional dollar. I was astonished when I told them it would be a cash deal and we'd do it that day.

At that point, I decided to buy out of state and found Kerbeck who had dozens of new 2018 GS in stock. The kicker was that I got a much better percentage discount deal on a new GS (loaded with popular options) 2LT 2018 (with a build date within a month) than the 2017 Z51.

I still pinch myself that my local dealer turned me down since I got what I wanted.

I often wonder if that 2017 Vette is still sitting on the lot.

Last edited by Guitarking1; 11-16-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
When I decided on a new Vette a little over a year ago (after a 15 year dry spell since the last one), ….

I still pinch myself that my local dealer turned me down since I got what I wanted.

I often wonder if that 2017 Vette is still sitting on the lot.
Yep, the world has changed buying Vettes from 15 years ago! For my '88 and '93 went to the dealer with a spread sheet showing exactly what I wanted, a column with MSRP for each option and a column with published dealer cost for each item. Knowing there were hold backs pretty easy to negotiate. I only dealt with the sales manager.

BUYING THE NEXT VETTE WAS DIFFERENT:
Built a house and needed a truck so bought it while I had the '93. Liked it so much on the Interstate as I was now 17 miles from work and no worry about the many 18 wheeler tire treads, troopers using instant-on radar when I drive the Vette, bought another truck! Retired and it was time was time for another Vette in 2008. The dealer was arrogant saying I only get an allocation of 2/month and I can sell them why give deep discounts. Ordered exactly what I wanted from Kerbeck at about the same discounts you see advertised for stock they have. When delivered to NJ flew there and drove it the 500 miles home.

For my 2017 Grand Sport did even better. After trying before to get a dealer to accept Courtesy Delivery without success found one 30 miles from home who does it all the time with the largest employer in that town (>3000 employees.) It was a flat $250 not a penny more. The secret was to talk with their finance manager NOT the sales manager or salesman! Worked great as the service manager gets paid from GM for the initial prep. They have only 3 or 4 mechanics and ONLY their C7 trained mechanic touches Vettes. So ordered exactly what I wanted, paid Kerbeck who handles all paperwork required by SC. Even sent me a temporary plate for SC that was good until I paid my personal property tax needed to get final plates. Car was delivered to the dealer 30 miles away directly from Bowling Green.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-16-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Guitarking1 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
I was astonished when I told them it would be a cash deal and we'd do it that day
Cash deals mean nothing to a dealer. Whether you finance or pay cash they still get paid cash for the car. But when they arrange the financing they usually get something from the financial institution. So letting them know it's a cash deal doesn't do anything for you from a negotiation standpoint. In fact it may be a negative.

If you're buying privately then by all means let them know it's a cash deal since it's easier for the seller and less risky. But a dealer won't care and in most cases would prefer to finance it for you.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,689 Likes on 5,591 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, 85 inches mirror tip to mirror tip for all.
GS/Z06 rear fenders 77.4 inches
Base/Z51 rear fenders 73.9 inches

May be interested in this PDF showing the simple proximity alarm I added on the right side of the garage post!
http://netwelding.com/Mirror_Proximity_Alarm.pdf
Sure hope if the C8 is more they have motorized tuck in mirrors!
It's interesting that GM doesn't list or even acknowledge the 85" mirror to mirror wide as it's not a "fixed" width since mirrors adjust or swing in.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It's interesting that GM doesn't list or even acknowledge the 85" mirror to mirror wide as it's not a "fixed" width since mirrors adjust or swing in.
Yep, when buying our SUV that was also not listed! However it was listed when they had powered "tuck in." Sure hope the C8 has that option if it's wider. Sure you can get out of the C7 and using a lot of force get them to turn in but what a PIA!
Old 12-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Well I am still on the hunt for a New coupe, I found additional information, I been trying to purchase a car equal to mine or Better then mine, In searching for a 3LT sting ray there are very few around with my current option, So Now I understand the the GS already has the Mag ride and the performance exchaust ,And I am finding the GS with the 3LT is more abundant then the sting rays with 3LT no less ones with performance exhaust and Mag ride. So it seams I am now looking for a GS As a matter of Fact I am going to look at a GS that has the carbon fiber option Very close to my home
Old 12-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Not disagreeing but if that is the case what the OP should get is a base Stingray. That is where you save the money. I bought my base 2017 Stingray 1LT M7 brand new for $46k when they were doing the 20% off deals last year. The base (non-Z51) is the best deal, add sway bars for $350 if you feel the rear end flops around too much and call it a day. It is a great GT car.

However, if the OP is looking at getting a Z51 Stingray like you have then from a price perspective the GS is the better buy.
Exactly right, except I don't have a Z51. My base 3LT, with MSRC, also has the FE2 Z51 features, spoiler, 19"-20" wheels.

.What the OP needs to do is to check out the rides of the Z51 & GS, and go from there. Then order exactly what he wants to on a new 2019.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference

Old 12-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
Well I am still on the hunt for a New coupe, I found additional information, I been trying to purchase a car equal to mine or Better then mine, In searching for a 3LT sting ray there are very few around with my current option, So Now I understand the the GS already has the Mag ride and the performance exchaust ,And I am finding the GS with the 3LT is more abundant then the sting rays with 3LT no less ones with performance exhaust and Mag ride. So it seams I am now looking for a GS As a matter of Fact I am going to look at a GS that has the carbon fiber option Very close to my home
Have you driven one? If so, how did you like it?
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:45 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
Your best bet is to call mike furman at criswell, he'll get you what you want.

Last edited by Thunder22; 12-02-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Have you driven one? If so, how did you like it?
I have not driven one,but I have to say I have never took a new car for a ride that I didn't fall in love with,

I am going with the wife this week to look at the local GS Carbon 65 car.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference