Sponsored by:

Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Your best bet is to call mike furman at criswell, he'll get you what you want.
Thank you I have not tried him , if I strike out with this local car I will try him. I am in a rock and a hard place as the things my wife likes about our current car is the interior because it has the sueded interior and also a carbon fiber dash along with the steering wheel. Those items are an option on there own, in addition to the 3lt interior. Thank you for the referral,
Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Amen

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Hope you don't drive your Stingray convertible with the top down on a nice day to Kerbecks to get the coupe-you might have buyer's remorse on the way home.

The vert has more space than you would think. Unless you like the look of the GS, you will not see a difference between the 2 for cruising around.
going from a '12 GS 3LT to my '14 Z51 conv. 7MT; the car drives "smaller" around you better and the top down with the smells, sounds, etc. niiiice, but the cool part is YOU CANT GO WRONG, choices like the one you are making are the kind I like!
The following users liked this post:
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 PM
V1lla1nous
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was going through the research between the Stingray and GS plus all of the packages provided, I used the guide below and found it really helpful. I went with the GS 3LT and couldn't be happier with my decision.

https://www.wallacechev.com/blog/che...-buying-guide/

Last edited by V1lla1nous; 12-02-2018 at 04:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by V1lla1nous:
Ih2lose (12-05-2018), Todd McMullen (04-16-2022)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
I have not driven one,but I have to say I have never took a new car for a ride that I didn't fall in love with,

I am going with the wife this week to look at the local GS Carbon 65 car.
Why not just order a new (2019) one then, while you still can? The Z51 & GS ride far differently than the base Stingray. They're also geared differently than the Stingray. I thought you also mentioned long cross country trips in it. Lots of sustained windshield and seat time. That was what you seemed to be interested in - long rides with a passenger and a luggage containment for two.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Hope you don't drive your Stingray convertible with the top down on a nice day to Kerbecks to get the coupe-you might have buyer's remorse on the way home.

The vert has more space than you would think. Unless you like the look of the GS, you will not see a difference between the 2 for cruising around.
The good thing is he's already very fortunate to already have a new loaded Base Stingray 3LT Vert with MSRC. That I believe that he intends to keep. He loves it.

.The additional possible C7 ownership opens the door to further enhancement to better fit his parameters of the hatchback luggage compartment, as well as a cross country cruiser. I'd be exploring every avenue C7 has to offer in enhancing the 2nd C7 experience as well, open to possible tweaking in changing things Up too !

​​​​​​​.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:57 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

This summer at corvettes of Carlisle, I traded up to a 2018 used (Gm Company car) stingray convertible it has 3 lt (my wife loves the suede interior) it also has the PDR and the Performance exhaust, it is a spectacular car and I love it,
BUT .
My brother in law just purchased a coupe and the extra room the coupe has compared to the convertible , seems to be more practical for me because of the lack of truck space in the convertible, So I am thinking I may want to trade my convertible for a brand New coupe in February or March (I want to use my Gm Top off rebate) , Prior to purchasing mine , I remember talking to a sales man at kerbecks trying to figure out the different models and he explained the Grand Sport is very popular because it cost more to build a sting ray with options then the Grand Sport, So that being said I been looking at the discounted 2019 Corvette inventory at Kerbeck and I am getting confused about the real difference between a base stingray and a Grand Sport. Can someone explain. Let me know your thoughts. I may actually move my purchase up with the thought of if I wait till march the top off rebate may be worth less than the cars depreciation of becoming another year older and having less value. I am also afraid I might not be able to find a charcoal color coupe still in stock.

So please explain if you would what the real difference between a Grand sport and a Stingray . the car will be used as a 3rd car, fair weather car.

It also looks like Kerbecks doesn’t inventory 3LT packages, am I correct in thinking the suede is the difference from 2lt to 3lt
If you think of the GS as a Z51 Stingray plus wider tires (and wider fenders to cover them) you'll pretty much have it.

If you're touring in a convertible you likely will have the top up and should have plenty of space for soft luggage.

Buying a new car is an additional cost, of course, and having a convertible for cruising around (as you already do) is nice.

I think you'll be happy with whatever you do, keep the 'vert or buy a new coupe of whatever sort. Trying to make the perfect choice is entertaining but not realistic. No matter what you have you always can imagine some alternative that seems better.

That is all from me.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

the gs option takes a really good street cruiser / touring car and turns it into a great sports car that is really good for cruising / touring
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:58 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
the gs option takes a really good street cruiser / touring car and turns it into a great sports car that is really good for cruising / touring
I would agree, if....................they get their wheel situation straightened out. We shouldn't have to be concerned about wheels breaking when you go out on trips. I'm sure it is a minority, but it is something that would always be in the back of my mind. The GS is a great car and I think I would just buy some decent wheels just as soon as the car was delivered. The car is a good value to begin with.

Last edited by joemessman; 12-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

The C7 Corvette is marketed as a "LUXURY SPORTS CAR", To me that means plenty of creature comforts. That means extras such as: heated/ventilated seats, heads up display, premium stereo, and power everything! Full disclosure: This is my first Corvette or sports car for that matter. I have a 2016 Corvette Stingray 2 LT trim level, A8 and I added side skirts and a stage two front splitter. I don't track the car, so 2LT is perfect for me.
Ih2lose (12-05-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:41 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Well I went and seen the local Carbon Fiber car, We looked at the car in a showroom and it had a gray blue Hue to it and the wife did not like the color, I was able to see a stingray and a Gran Sport side by side, I thought the Gransport and the Z06 just had the black fender flares, but seeing them in person I could see the flared fenders. Had I know that before hand I probably would of gotten a grand sport instead of my stingray , As for more space in a coupe over a convertible .YES there is more space, but the additional space will not accomplish what I wanted to fit in the car. I did find out the rear view mirror is just as worthless on a coupe as it is in the convertible. My Wives SUV has a rear view Mirror that is the view from rear view camera ,That would make allot of sence to have in a corvette .

Now I did see a used BLACK ROSE METALLIC 2017 Z06 in the show room, It was spectacular. We loved the color. Had they had a New coupe in that color I would have been posting picture here of my new coupe. it was a spectacular color in the show room I could only imagine what it looks like in the sun ,
Old 12-09-2018, 07:40 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
If you think of the GS as a Z51 Stingray plus wider tires (and wider fenders to cover them) you'll pretty much have it.
You forgot to mention that the GS has the FE6 suspension (same as Z06) and comes by default with Magnetic Ride. Also, the brake rotors are larger and include bigger 6 piston calipers up front for better stopping power. In addition to the wide body fenders you get side skirts and a front splitter. Having owned both, the GS feels much more planted as it should with all the suspension hardware and wider stance. If you are the type of person that appreciates driving feel then the GS is the C7 to get. It offer the best balance of power and handling among all the C7 models.
Todd McMullen (04-16-2022)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Well I went and seen the local Carbon Fiber car, We looked at the car in a showroom and it had a gray blue Hue to it and the wife did not like the color, I was able to see a stingray and a Gran Sport side by side, I thought the Gransport and the Z06 just had the black fender flares, but seeing them in person I could see the flared fenders. Had I know that before hand I probably would of gotten a grand sport instead of my stingray , As for more space in a coupe over a convertible .YES there is more space, but the additional space will not accomplish what I wanted to fit in the car. I did find out the rear view mirror is just as worthless on a coupe as it is in the convertible. My Wives SUV has a rear view Mirror that is the view from rear view camera ,That would make allot of sence to have in a corvette .

Now I did see a used BLACK ROSE METALLIC 2017 Z06 in the show room, It was spectacular. We loved the color. Had they had a New coupe in that color I would have been posting picture here of my new coupe. it was a spectacular color in the show room I could only imagine what it looks like in the sun ,
FWIW, now that you and your wife know what you want, you can do as many of us and buy from a volume Forum Vender dealer and have the Vette of your choice built with every option only for you!

My Grand Sport Experience:
Bought my last 3 Vettes from volume dealers. The Grand Sport was "ordered from Kerbeck," who sponsors this General Forum Page, and I bought from before. But this time found a Chevy dealer ~30 miles away who would accept what GM calls "Courtesy Delivery" for a flat $250. Took a 10 minute phone call to Kerbeck to get the car ordered (very knowledgeable folks who only sell Vette, so no BS from the average dealer salesman who sound knowledge but at better at selling trucks) and the price was about the same large discount you'll see on there website for cars they have in stock. If you want to buy one of their >200 cars in stock can do that at the prices shown, no extra's, no haggling, no usual dealer BS! There are the largest Vette dealer in the country selling over 1000/year for a reason. Car was built to my specs in Bowling Green and delivered directly to the Chevy dealer ~30 miles away! That dealer gets paid by GM for the prep and to fix any defects IF any are found.

Why look for something that with the many options you want along with color will likely be a compromise. In my case got the 2LT, interior and exterior color I wanted, with a standard shift (which few dealers will inventory) and machined faced aluminum wheels, Stage 2 areo option that most dealers will also not order for inventory. The Stage 2 aero option comes with full length side skirts (keeps rocks from marking the rocker panels and front of the rear wheel opening) as well as a carbon fiber splitter not what some call the "poverty" plastic splitter that is standard on the Grand Sport. But your car your choice.

So you get exactly what you want, at a price better than most dealers (unless they have one they are trying to get ride of) with the only drawback you'll wait ~6 weeks. Can spend that much time looking for something "close" to what you really want!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-09-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:43 AM
SomeCorvetteDude
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Width

Originally Posted by javenius
Does anyone know the overall width difference (mirror edge to mirror edge) between the Stingray and GS?
From what I have come across, none mirror to mirror.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:45 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by SomeCorvetteDude
From what I have come across, none mirror to mirror.
You just answered a question asked nearly 4 years ago. Well done.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Since he did (causing me to get an email) I'll add an answer and include the C8 AND C8 E-Ray = Z06-since that question gets asked!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-26-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:03 PM
John1990
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Lots of .......
PS: you'll almost certainly hear from a certain forum member (initials SRJ) that will quote a GS as a total waste of $; $11k more than a Stingray (very wrong); etc. We're all entitled to our opinions, but yours is the one that counts. Just smile and move on. :-)
#16 LOL That was too funny. Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel. SRJ? Whoever do you mean? " Just smile and move on. "
Old 06-07-2023, 04:18 AM
aephillips51@yahoo.c
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I am 71, over the speed and power stage and want a good ride. Looking at a C6 GS and a C7 base I guess. Think I will get the 7. It is a 19 compared to the C6 which is a 2011. Price actually close. Thanks
Old 06-07-2023, 06:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by falcon5619

You forgot to mention that the GS has the FE6 suspension (same as Z06) and comes by default with Magnetic Ride. Also, the brake rotors are larger and include bigger 6 piston calipers up front for better stopping power. In addition to the wide body fenders you get side skirts and a front splitter. Having owned both, the GS feels much more planted as it should with all the suspension hardware and wider stance. If you are the type of person that appreciates driving feel then the GS is the C7 to get. It offer the best balance of power and handling among all the C7 models.
Originally Posted by aephillips51@yahoo.c
Thanks, I am 71, over the speed and power stage and want a good ride. Looking at a C6 GS and a C7 base I guess. Think I will get the 7. It is a 19 compared to the C6 which is a 2011. Price actually close. Thanks
I'll add a few other things to the good description by falcon 5619 above:
I loved my 2017 Grand Sport over my 2014 C7 Z51 (which was fine) but had better traction with it's wide tires and stiffer suspension. BUT if you never drive aggressively you won't benefit and will live with a stiffer ride. Heck the front sway bar looked like an axle! It also stopped faster than my current C8 Z51 as it had larger rotors and 6 piston front calipers!

Possible Downside for You- Not Me!
Those great brakes are also designed for Tracking and produce a lot of dust. I swapped week one to low dust brake pads and solved that issue as I had on my 2014 Z51. I had foolishly waited several months to switch with to low dust pads and had to clean the dust every 2 to 3 tripes to town (~200 miles) or they not only looked bad it was pitting my black wheels. Swapped for Carbotech 1521 street only pads that stopped great and have very low dust so cleaned the wheels as I do my C8 ONLY when I wash the car

Folks buying the C7 Grand sport just for cruising complained about the stiff ride. Yep, stiffer springs, large sway bars even with MRC mean a stiff ride. Recall one fellow wanted to know what to do as his wife hated to ride in it. Best advice, sell and buy a base C7.

Don't buy it for the fat rear fenders as to handle the front wide tires (same width as the base car rear) they use spates. Thought they were OK for my 1974 CJ5 V8 Jeep to cover the large off-road tires BUT looked cheap on a Vette

Now as far as being 71. Heck I'm 80 but feel like 19 when i get in my Vette. Can't wait to get my E-Ray with another 160 front wheel drive HP. I don't track but live in a rural area and my 25/30 mile trip to town goes past may farm fields with no homes, people and often no other cars in my fun sections. Can't wait to see if I can best my C8 lateral "g" numbers! PS I have never had an accident with another car in 63 years. Drive fast BUT safe!
Paul Newman at 82 won an SCCA race in a pretty high car class! 71 is no time to lay down and slow down!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-07-2023 at 06:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
joemessman (06-07-2023), miami08VETTE (06-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference