Sponsored by:

Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference

This summer at corvettes of Carlisle, I traded up to a 2018 used (Gm Company car) stingray convertible it has 3 lt (my wife loves the suede interior) it also has the PDR and the Performance exhaust, it is a spectacular car and I love it,
BUT .
My brother in law just purchased a coupe and the extra room the coupe has compared to the convertible , seems to be more practical for me because of the lack of truck space in the convertible, So I am thinking I may want to trade my convertible for a brand New coupe in February or March (I want to use my Gm Top off rebate) , Prior to purchasing mine , I remember talking to a sales man at kerbecks trying to figure out the different models and he explained the Grand Sport is very popular because it cost more to build a sting ray with options then the Grand Sport, So that being said I been looking at the discounted 2019 Corvette inventory at Kerbeck and I am getting confused about the real difference between a base stingray and a Grand Sport. Can someone explain. Let me know your thoughts. I may actually move my purchase up with the thought of if I wait till march the top off rebate may be worth less than the cars depreciation of becoming another year older and having less value. I am also afraid I might not be able to find a charcoal color coupe still in stock.

So please explain if you would what the real difference between a Grand sport and a Stingray . the car will be used as a 3rd car, fair weather car.

It also looks like Kerbecks doesn’t inventory 3LT packages, am I correct in thinking the suede is the difference from 2lt to 3lt

The following users liked this post:
pwmac (04-07-2024)

Popular Reply

11-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Lots of threads on this that will help too - use search and you'll find some good help.

We purchased a '15 Z51 2LT and a '17 GS 3LT. My cousin has a '15 'base' 2LT (to me, the word 'base' and C7 don't belong in the same sentence because there is nothing 'base' about any C7 - at least IMO), and that car is awesome too. I'll share a few thoughts, but it's really a personal decision.
* 2LT vs. 3LT: I like the options that come with the 2LT+, so that's important to me. The GS was purchased from dealer stock and had everything we wanted but was also 3LT vs. 2LT. It was tagged with a bigger discount, so we bought it. We would have been perfectly fine with the 2LT, but I must admit I like the dash and door covering in the 3LT. That said, I would still have been perfectly happy with 2LT - has the extra options we like and is very nicely done.
* Body: GS is wide body, Stingray is not. It's a personal choice; some like it, others don't. We do.
* GS vs. Stingray: both great. Main differences to me: wide body; bigger brakes; larger wheels/tires; different suspension; comes with some stuff standard that are extra costs options on Stingray (as stated above, check the 'build your own site' to really understand and see if these items are important to you).
* Coupe vs. Vert luggage space: you'll be shocked at how much room there is in a vert. It's 10 cf of space in a vert vs. 15 in a coupe. We chose coupes for both because we take 2-3 week road trips and the extra space in a coupe was really appreciated. But the verts have a great layout and lots of space - they're slightly more quiet too.

You can't lose with either, both great choices. As with any car, whatever options you pay for will be worth less if/when you sell. To many of us, we really don't care about that. These cars are, for many of us, 'fun cars', track cars, 'extra' cars, and for us - road trip cars. Get whatever floats your boat.

Hope this helps.

PS: you'll almost certainly hear from a certain forum member (initials SRJ) that will quote a GS as a total waste of $; $11k more than a Stingray (very wrong); etc. We're all entitled to our opinions, but yours is the one that counts. Just smile and move on. :-)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Go to the Chevy build and price section. There you'll see the difference between Stingray Z51 and Grand Sport costs, standard equipment, and optional equipment. With that, the Grand Sport is still a few thousand more than a Stingray Z51 based on the options I just simulated. You'll also see the differences in 2LT an 3LT.

Based on your post, the major difference you will notice is the wide body. You'll have to decide if that's worth about $3000, equally equipped. The major difference you will see in 2LT vs 3LT is the quality and quantity of leather/suede trim.

I would highly recommend just ordering a car (MUSEUM DELIVERY!!) rather than compromising on an in-stock unit. MacMulkin and Mike Furman both have stellar reviews.

Last edited by 64drvr; 11-13-2018 at 09:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 64drvr:
Ih2lose (11-13-2018), Ron_Attleboro_MA (02-26-2023)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The difference between the Stingray and GS is huge. The difference between the 3LT includes everything found in the 2LT plus: Custom Leather-wrapped interior, Sueded microfiber upper interior trim, Performance Data Recorder (optional on 1LT/2LT), Napa leather seating surfaces, Navigation (optional on 1LT/2LT), Instrument panel in interior color.

Last edited by MMD; 11-13-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Lots of threads on this that will help too - use search and you'll find some good help.

We purchased a '15 Z51 2LT and a '17 GS 3LT. My cousin has a '15 'base' 2LT (to me, the word 'base' and C7 don't belong in the same sentence because there is nothing 'base' about any C7 - at least IMO), and that car is awesome too. I'll share a few thoughts, but it's really a personal decision.
* 2LT vs. 3LT: I like the options that come with the 2LT+, so that's important to me. The GS was purchased from dealer stock and had everything we wanted but was also 3LT vs. 2LT. It was tagged with a bigger discount, so we bought it. We would have been perfectly fine with the 2LT, but I must admit I like the dash and door covering in the 3LT. That said, I would still have been perfectly happy with 2LT - has the extra options we like and is very nicely done.
* Body: GS is wide body, Stingray is not. It's a personal choice; some like it, others don't. We do.
* GS vs. Stingray: both great. Main differences to me: wide body; bigger brakes; larger wheels/tires; different suspension; comes with some stuff standard that are extra costs options on Stingray (as stated above, check the 'build your own site' to really understand and see if these items are important to you).
* Coupe vs. Vert luggage space: you'll be shocked at how much room there is in a vert. It's 10 cf of space in a vert vs. 15 in a coupe. We chose coupes for both because we take 2-3 week road trips and the extra space in a coupe was really appreciated. But the verts have a great layout and lots of space - they're slightly more quiet too.

You can't lose with either, both great choices. As with any car, whatever options you pay for will be worth less if/when you sell. To many of us, we really don't care about that. These cars are, for many of us, 'fun cars', track cars, 'extra' cars, and for us - road trip cars. Get whatever floats your boat.

Hope this helps.

PS: you'll almost certainly hear from a certain forum member (initials SRJ) that will quote a GS as a total waste of $; $11k more than a Stingray (very wrong); etc. We're all entitled to our opinions, but yours is the one that counts. Just smile and move on. :-)
The following 6 users liked this post by Hopper12:
Coach32 (11-16-2018), flip 17 (03-09-2021), frankb (11-14-2018), Ih2lose (11-13-2018), Rebel Yell (12-09-2018), SPM8101 (11-15-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Yep can get confusing unless a gearhead like me!

First as you have the Stingray and NOT the Z51 option the ride is smoother! Don't let anyone tell you adjustable shocks can make up for stiffer springs and a front sway bar that looks like an axle! The base C7 has no sway bar in the rear the Z51 does adding to the stiffer springs rougher ride. The Grand Sport has essentially the same stiff suspension as the Z51. You can get any C7 in a 1LT, 2LT or 3LT interior with any model so that is an ordered and cost choice.

Second the base C7 is a wet sump like 99% of the cars and trucks. The Z51 (and Grand Sport) have a dry sump. If you don't know what that is and for none performance drivers some think it's a PIA to check the oil level! Have to be careful as many dealers don't do it right and overfill. If you get the Z51 option or a Grand Sport learn to check the oil level by reading the Owner's Manual.

The Z51 requires you to add MRC (Magnetic Ride Control) if you want that feature for several thousand dollars. MRC comes standard in the Grand Sport so those who think it's the Cats Meow (I don't) the cost of a Z51 with MRC is not far from the Grand Sport! That is what Kerbeck was saying and why few folks now buy the Z51 option rather they get the Grand Sport. Note Kerbeck does not stock Z51s as most dealers.

I bought the Grand Sport because IMO the base car needed wider tires for better traction. That is why the fenders are wider!- not for looks I didn't buy it because I like the fat rear look! In fact don't like the front spats that cover the wider front tires, remines me of my '74 Jeep Renegade! Some buy just because they like the fat fenders and are disappointed the ride is stiff!

If you like your ride and more important your wife likes the ride she might NOT a Grand Sport.

Other things you get with the Grand Sport like bigger brakes with 6 piston calipers up front versus the base and Z51 4 piston. But since you are having to ask you proably don't care or understand the difference! I also hit 1.2+ "g" lateral acceleration around the fountain at the end on my street- you proably never drive like that. So IMO the base car is a lower cost and probably a better chicie for you and your wife. Heck I'm only 76 but when I get "old" I may not drive that aggressively either!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-13-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
flip 17 (03-09-2021), I Fly Low (11-15-2018), Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:35 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

I had a 2014 Z51. Owned it for 5 months and traded it in for a new GS. I always liked the wide body. Seeing a Z51 next to a GS and it just looks weird. You can't really put bigger tires on back of the Z51, that sucked. I do take my to the track so the extra rubber helps. But also appearance the wide tires look great. If you ever want to upgrade the spoiler to stage 2 or 3, it's a pain in the ***. The extra brake cooling is nice. In general, the GS just handles better and performs better and personally, I think looks better.

Now if you just want a C7 to drive to Wal-mart, car shows, and that's it, maybe the Z51 is a better option. Personally I'd still take a GS because i just think it's a better car all around. And I would advise against 3LT interior. The NAPA leather is ****, straight ****. I had 3LT on my 14 and the dashboard look like cracks on sidewalk. I bought a brand new 2017, it has 5k miles, owned it for 1 year, sits in garage most of its life, and its already starting to show some lines in the leather. I would go 2LT and avoid 3LT just for the fact the leather is trash. Better leather on my 2011 GMC Terrrain with 75K miles and sits outside 24/7 365 days.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:42 AM
wlittle49
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

JerryU "Heck I'm only 76 but when I get old I may not dirve that aggressively either! - Love that comment. I am just 69 and bought my very first base model C7 a month ago. It is a 2014 Stingray 3LT with performance exhaust in Laguna Blue with 21K miles. Absolutely love the car and my wife even commented on how nice it rides. The F1 suspension is only on the Stingray (base) and it provides a very nice ride. We bought it for touring and never track or strip use. I just cannot say enough good about the Stingray.
The following 5 users liked this post by wlittle49:
frankb (11-14-2018), Ih2lose (11-13-2018), JerryU (11-13-2018), Rob531 (10-09-2022), Spasetrucker (12-02-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep can get confusing unless a gearhead like me!

First as you have the Stingray and NOT the Z51 option the ride is smoother! Don't let anyone tell you adjustable shocks can make up for stiffer springs and a front sway bar that looks like an axle! The base C7 has no sway bar in the rear the Z51 does adding to the stiffer springs rougher ride. The Grand Sport has essentially the same stiff suspension as the Z51. You can get any C7 in a 1LT, 2LT or 3LT interior with any model so that is an ordered and cost choice.

Second the base C7 is a wet sump like 99% of the cars and trucks. The Z51 (and Grand Sport) have a dry sump. If you don't know what that is and for none performance drivers some think it's a PIA to check the oil level! Have to be careful as many dealers don't do it right and overfill. If you get the Z51 option or a Grand Sport learn to check the oil level by reading the Owner's Manual.

The Z51 requires you to add MRC (Magnetic Ride Control) if you want that feature for several thousand dollars. MRC comes standard in the Grand Sport so those who think it's the Cats Meow (I don't) the cost of a Z51 with MRC is not far from the Grand Sport! That is what Kerbeck was saying and why few folks now buy the Z51 option rather they get the Grand Sport. Note Kerbeck does not stock Z51s as most dealers.

I bought the Grand Sport because IMO the base car needed wider tires for better traction. That is why the fenders are wider!- not for looks I didn't buy it because I like the fat rear look! In fact don't like the front spats that cover the wider front tires, remines me of my '74 Jeep Renegade! Some buy just because they like the fat fenders and are disappointed the ride is stiff!

If you like your ride and more important your wife likes the ride she might NOT a Grand Sport.

Other things you get with the Grand Sport like bigger brakes with 6 piston calipers up front versus the base and Z51 4 piston. But since you are having to ask you proably don't care or understand the difference! I also hit 1.2+ "g" lateral acceleration around the fountain at the end on my street- you proably never drive like that. So IMO the base car is a lower cost and probably a better chicie for you and your wife. Heck I'm only 76 but when I get "old" I may not drive that aggressively either!

Just my opinion.
That is an excellent assessment. If he isn't going to track it I see know reason to get a Z51 package or a Grand Sport. Me? I wish I would have gotten a Z06 with all the goodies even though I don't go to the track. But I like all the extra toys to play with on the car I discovered after driving my son's Z06 for a couple of months. I would say if he likes all the extra items just for fun, then get the Grand Sport. Great value for those toys and fun to play with even if you don't need them.
As an aside I like the cool look of the Grand Sport, but the first time wife saw one at cars and coffee she asked why the owner didn't take all the protective shipping packing material off the car after it was delivered to him. She was referring to the splitter and side skirts!
Too funny! I had to explain to her what all that "packing" stuff really was.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Ih2lose (11-13-2018), retired08 (04-20-2019)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Hope you don't drive your Stingray convertible with the top down on a nice day to Kerbecks to get the coupe-you might have buyer's remorse on the way home.

The vert has more space than you would think. Unless you like the look of the GS, you will not see a difference between the 2 for cruising around.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

I had a 2017 base coupe. I felt the suspension was too soft after driving it for a while. The base has no rear sway bar and the rear end wallows around too much for a sport cars, imo. I added the Z51 sway bars to the base suspension and it was much better.

So, if you want more than a base then the decision gets more difficult because the cost delta between a Z51 with MRC and GS (MRC included) is so minimal and the GS includes wide body, bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, rotors, side skirts, front lip spoiler.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 03:44 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

Hope this helps.

Well said! I agree
The following 2 users liked this post by speedlink:
Hopper12 (11-13-2018), Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

If suede seats are your main issue, consider a Stingray and getting a good upholster to redo whichever seat sections you want in suede and all it good..

When I ordered my C5 back in the day I wanted cloth inserts to keep my skinny butt from sliding all over--no way, of course. A day at my upholster and all was good. Just a thought.

All the best!
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The differences are discussed here:
JustDennis (02-27-2023)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Doi want[ not need] more aggressive looks? Then get the GS the "base" is still way ahead of almost any other car.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

As I would option it out about 3 K.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Your satisfaction level with your rare find of a GM Exec.loaded Stingray 3LT Convertible, is over the Moon.

The GS is almost $11K more than the Stingray in terms of cost. And, you've only got a basic 1LT, for that kind of money.

I'm not sure the car delivers enough more value to spend that much, esp. since you're already beyond satisfied with your Stingray convertible 3LT....

I'd set my sights on enhancing your Corvette household with the procurement of a new 2020 C8, ME, rather than doubling up on C7s. In fact, that's what I am considering doing too! A NEW C8!
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Ih2lose:

I bought my 16 Stingray coupe, a few months before the Grand Sport returned to the Corvette lineup. I admit I’ve thought about the upgrade a few time, but it’s been just that, a thought.

To me a GS is just like a Z-51 with a wide body, wider tires and bigger brakes. If it’s the wide body look that appeals to you then go for it. From a practical standpoint...you say it will be a third car, if you aren’t going to track the car, that stiffer ride that everyone talks about may not be practical. Bigger brakes, more oil, more wows when you drive down the street, aren’t practical either, but the wows do make you feel good. But here’s the thing, all C7’s have that wow factor. And most who don’t own, or know the product line, or the history don’t know the difference between a Stingray, a Z-51 Stingray, a GS, a Z06 or a ZR1.

Since it won’t be a daily driver but more of a cruiser (3rd car), the price point may not be an issue. Maybe it’s wows you’re after, and that’s cool too. My base silver C7 is my daily driver, got over 30K on the clock, and no matter what wheels I’m riding on (got AS/3+ for the winter), there aren’t many days when I don’t get a compliment or a conversation. That was the other thing that just made a GS a thought for me...that 2nd set of wheels and tires.

The good news is, either way, you can’t lose...make the wife happy...you know the rest.

Hope this helps...Good Luck and enjoy the “wows”!
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference

Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by falcon5619
I had a 2017 base coupe. I felt the suspension was too soft after driving it for a while. The base has no rear sway bar and the rear end wallows around too much for a sport cars, imo. I added the Z51 sway bars to the base suspension and it was much better.

So, if you want more than a base then the decision gets more difficult because the cost delta between a Z51 with MRC and GS (MRC included) is so minimal and the GS includes wide body, bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, rotors, side skirts, front lip spoiler.
If your base coupe had been equipped with MSRC, you'd of probably had the right set up. Maybe adding the Z51 sway bars, to complete your package.

The Z51 & GS, are aggressive, performance, road and track eaters in every way. The OP needs to understand that his base suspension cushy ride will be long gone, in either.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Thank you every one for the input, I have a better understanding of the difference between the car. I did not realize the GS had a wider body , I Will have to look at the difference of the cars side by side and decide if the visual difference is enough to chose the other car . I am not looking for any additional performance as the car we currently own has more ability then I could use. And if anything we would like a softer ride definitely not a firmer ride

Thank you again, My wife is quite happy with the current car , but my use of the car will be for Monthly trips in the summer with another person and we each have a suitcase and some gear, it almost fits and I figured with the coupe you could just pile it slightly higher.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

^^^^
​​​​​​​You need another base Stingray then. A coupe.
Ih2lose (11-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Grand Sport compared to a Stingray, What's the real difference