C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Wow, that's intense, you seriously go through all this to put your car away for a few months?
When winter arrives here I really don't do anything special. I make sure that I do an oil change in the late fall, and I start using the battery tender around the beginning of November when I know there might be a week or more in between drives. But mine also won't sit for an entire 3-4 month period either, I take it out every chance I get when the roads are dry and the salt is gone. It is extremely rare to have a winter where there aren't lots of opportunities to drive it in conditions like that, generally I can drive it about 3 or 4 times a month. (although when I picked up my car last December and brought it home, I couldn't drive it again for a solid month, mostly due to the weather but we also spent 10 days in Florida)

Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I ordered a bottle of fuel stabilizer and a genuine Corvette battery tender. Considered a car cover but I will wait on that. It's going to be in a sealed self-contained storage unit with no traffic in and out and presumably no dust/dirt getting in there because I am the only one with access to it. I'll check on it after a few weeks and if it's getting dusty I'll get a car cover. If it was in a communal garage with traffic and other people/vehicles coming and going for sure I'd get a cover. Just not sure it's necessary given the situation. There's no chance of anyone touching it or brushing up against it and shouldn't be any dust getting in there. Also ordered a light socket adaptor so I can plug the battery tender into it and an extension cord. Amazon is great. Everything should be here tomorrow.

Lastly; what's the best way to feed the cord for the battery tender out of the car? Through the trunk lid, leaving it open a bit or crack a window a bit?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
I ordered a bottle of fuel stabilizer and a genuine Corvette battery tender. Considered a car cover but I will wait on that. It's going to be in a sealed self-contained storage unit with no traffic in and out and presumably no dust/dirt getting in there because I am the only one with access to it. I'll check on it after a few weeks and if it's getting dusty I'll get a car cover. If it was in a communal garage with traffic and other people/vehicles coming and going for sure I'd get a cover. Just not sure it's necessary given the situation. There's no chance of anyone touching it or brushing up against it and shouldn't be any dust getting in there. Also ordered a light socket adaptor so I can plug the battery tender into it and an extension cord. Amazon is great. Everything should be here tomorrow.

Lastly; what's the best way to feed the cord for the battery tender out of the car? Through the trunk lid, leaving it open a bit or crack a window a bit?
You can feed the cord out one of the sides of the hatch by the rear wheel and close the latch on it no problem. Just put the charger on the floor.

The following users liked this post:
FLEXjs (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm trying to determine what hole that is above the vent where the cable is running. ???
Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

The reason I say feed it out by the rear wheel is because the wire will hang at the wheel opening and not rub on the car the entire length down. It makes it easier to protect the car using one towel. Don't try to close the hatch on the extension cord because it will be too thick.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
I'm trying to determine what hole that is above the vent where the cable is running. ???
???
Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The trunk lights will go off in a few minutes if you do not latch it closed.

Last edited by Carvin; 11-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:05 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carvin

Did you look at the pics I posted? You can feed it out just like in the pics and CLOSE the hatch no problem.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Wow, that's intense, you seriously go through all this to put your car away for a few months?
I sure do... The good news is that nothing on this list is difficult or even time consuming in any capacity. Many items there are the same as getting ready for a car show (with the exception of a few)... I can say that I have trouble-free Vettes year after year, generation after generation (C4, C5, C6, C7) and since Im no mechanic, I can only assume my attention to detail for "vehicle care" (summer and winter) may have something to do with it...maybe / maybe not...
Kevin A Jones (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
???
In post #43. the 2nd photo. Looks like a hole above the vent.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

To charge the battery without having to crimp the wire from any battery charger - just route the wires along the passenger side, through the seat belt guide, and out the window (drop it about an inch). I know my battery tender brand sells 12 ft and 25 ft extension cables. If your particular brand doesn't, then use a power extension cord out the window. Just place a small, folded microfiber towel under the cord to avoid scratches. No crimped wires or indented weatherstripping.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 5,563 Posts

Lots of strong opinions on this, however this is the way I do it whether it's necessary of not.

SuperdadZ06 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

I didn't think finding storage for my Vette would be that difficult but it was a total pain in the ***. So many ******* advertising spaces and they don't reply to inquiries or calls. Made a deal with a dude to keep it in a condo building temp controlled secure garage on Sunday, then he ghosted me when I asked when we could meet to exchange cash and entry fob.

So anyway I got a 10 x 20 garage type drive-in storage unit today. Totally secure. But not temp controlled. It's around the corner from my office so I can go start the car regularly and I will keep full insurance on it so I can take it for short drives if the weather is not bad. It's going in on Saturday. Has a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe overfill the tires? If so, how much?
Yes, relocate your car about 1200 miles south.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Carvin

I just leaved mine cracked.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Battery tender never arrived so I cancelled the amazon order and ordered one from a local dealer.

Took it to the car wash and drove it up to the storage unit today. Managed to scrape the bottom of the front lip because the ground was extremely uneven and I didn't notice. I was more concerned with getting it in the unit. I swear I've never been so pissed off. Anyway, it's safe and sound now.....

Old 11-18-2018, 08:14 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Just recently I stored my car in an unheated garage for a few days under 20 degrees and when I went to drive it on a warmer day the hatch didn't open right away and after a couple of open and closing things were fine but I think the problem was that the hatch is closer to the door and more exposed to colder temperatures especially when those days cold and windy !!!! Wayne
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
In the guide here It shows the use of Blackfire wax paint sealant. Is this ok to use? On page 289 in the owners manual it says it does not recommend the use of aftermarket paint sealants.
Finish Care: page 289
" Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended" .

Get notified of new replies

To Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Old 11-18-2018, 11:55 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gmarcucio
In the guide here It shows the use of Blackfire wax paint sealant. Is this ok to use? On page 289 in the owners manual it says it does not recommend the use of aftermarket paint sealants.
Finish Care: page 289
" Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended" .
I think the reason they say that is to protect themselves from people who may use a sealant or protectant that may harm the finish of the car. Even though it's unlikely this will happen they remove any liability if it does happen.

Amother thing to remember is if you have a brand new car that was recently built you shouldn't put a car cover on it for at least 60 days after manufacturing. Bad things can happen to the clear coat.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:33 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE

I think the reason they say that is to protect themselves from people who may use a sealant or protectant that may harm the finish of the car. Even though it's unlikely this will happen they remove any liability if it does happen.

Amother thing to remember is if you have a brand new car that was recently built you shouldn't put a car cover on it for at least 60 days after manufacturing. Bad things can happen to the clear coat.
Yeh the liability issue makes sense. Not covering the car soon after being built makes sense too I imagine it's to let the solvents in the clear coat escape allowing it too dry properly. I'm not going to put a cover on this winter. It's in the corner of my heated garage away from where I do work in the garage. I like to just look at it! Besides I ordered some side skirts and front splitter spoiler for it so I will be doing some work to it over the winter which will require me to move it into the next bay where my lift is located.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Quick Reply: Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?