C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
Your boat doesn't have any electronic draw on your battery like the Corvette does. You will kill your battery unless you either battery tend it or remove it and battery tend it somewhere else.
Good point. Boat has a master switch that disconnects battery just as airplanes do. Disconnecting the negative terminal on the C7 battery probably would serve the same purpose.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

As others said, I wouldn't drive it unless you plan on going for a good long drive to warm up all the fluids.

Also, don't drive below freezing or you can crack the tires.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Inferno18
I think some over think the whole storage thing...
Ya think?

The OCD level of C7 owners far surpasses that of C6 owners. No idea why but after owning both it's a striking difference. I think some forget it's a Chevy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_R:
fourmat (11-15-2018), RFBHD (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
As others said, I wouldn't drive it unless you plan on going for a good long drive to warm up all the fluids.

Also, don't drive below freezing or you can crack the tires.
Unheard of. Cite an authoritative source on this?

Last edited by fnbrowning; 11-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Unheard of. Cite an authoritative source on this?
Page 258 of the 2018 Owners Manual.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf
Old 11-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

There are many products including Startron that work well with Ethanol. Some guys swear by seafoam and that's all they use.
Soooo...pour Seafoam in my gas tank...?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Artilleryusmc
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
I didn't think finding storage for my Vette would be that difficult but it was a total pain in the ***. So many ******* advertising spaces and they don't reply to inquiries or calls. Made a deal with a dude to keep it in a condo building temp controlled secure garage on Sunday, then he ghosted me when I asked when we could meet to exchange cash and entry fob.

So anyway I got a 10 x 20 garage type drive-in storage unit today. Totally secure. But not temp controlled. It's around the corner from my office so I can go start the car regularly and I will keep full insurance on it so I can take it for short drives if the weather is not bad. It's going in on Saturday. Has a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe overfill the tires? If so, how much?
Stabil per instructions. Make sure it is mixed with the gas. Battery Tender and tires a few pounds heavier. Check for mice etc. no need to start it periodically unless you drive it long enough to get the temperature up.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Filled my tires to about 38psi cold. Not sure it's even necessary but doesn't hurt it.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Artilleryusmc
Check for mice
Never thought about mice but I've heard bad things about mice and stored cars. I have two mice bait stations in my garage as we had an issue with mice years ago due to neighbors having like a dozen bird feeders so I will get some poison for them just in case.

I didn't see a power outlet in the unit but there is a light bulb socket so I will see if I can get a gadget that screw in there with a bulb socket and power outlet for a battery tender.

Thanks everyone.

I've barley driven the car at all since I bought it as it's been too cold and it's going away for a long sleep on Saturday....kind of a bummer but I'm super happy to have it.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Never thought about mice but I've heard bad things about mice and stored cars. I have two mice bait stations in my garage as we had an issue with mice years ago due to neighbors having like a dozen bird feeders so I will get some poison for them just in case.

I didn't see a power outlet in the unit but there is a light bulb socket so I will see if I can get a gadget that screw in there with a bulb socket and power outlet for a battery tender.

Thanks everyone.

I've barley driven the car at all since I bought it as it's been too cold and it's going away for a long sleep on Saturday....kind of a bummer but I'm super happy to have it.
Nothing makes you appreciate your Vette more. Don’t worry, spring will be here in no time and you will be out having fun.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Soooo...pour Seafoam in my gas tank...?
I have used seafoam and other products. I have no favorite because I think most of them do the job. Just read what it says on the bottles. Most of them including seafoam claim they keep fuel fresh for two years. I think it's very important to start your car after pouring in the stabilizer and let it run long enough to circulate the treated fuel. This way it will get into the fuel pump. fuel lines and injectors.

Last edited by JDSC8VETTE; 11-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:37 PM
cberistain
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

cotton ***** soaked in peppermint oil as mouse deterrent
Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM
shadeshift
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I empty out some teabags and fill each with a couple of teaspoons of silica gel and staple them back up. I put them throughout the car, footwells, hatch, battery compartment, glovebox etc. I don't generally have issues with moisture / humidity in the car over the winter but I figure it can't hurt and it only takes a few minutes.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't see a power outlet in the unit but there is a light bulb socket so I will see if I can get a gadget that screw in there with a bulb socket and power outlet.
Exactly. You can get them with or without a light socket. The one, with, is the most useful.

I use a Battery Tender, Jr. I bought the plug for the trunk outlet on Ebay for $5. It has the same 12v. plug on one end as the Tender with the trunk plug on the other. It works great. I fold a microfiber cloth over the cord where it touches the paint. All you'd need is a short extension cord.

Mice prevention? There are no guarantees from everything I've read. Cover the floor with moth ***** and dryer sheets and wait until spring. Then, let us know how it works.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Buy a CARBAG. WWW.carbag.com. Your car will be sealed in the bag with Omni Dry Desiccant. You won't have to worry about mice, bugs or moisture. When you take your Vette out of storage it will be exactly the way it was when you put it away. No mice dust dirt or rust. I paid 277 dollars US delivered to my door and that included 5 lbs of Desiccant. How much is your Vette worth? How much is it worth to you? Have you guys ever seen how much damage mice can do to a stored vehicle?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Your boat doesn't have any electronic draw on your battery like the Corvette does. You will kill your battery unless you either battery tend it or remove it and battery tend it somewhere else.
Or, just disconnect the negative terminal. Charge up in spring, may not actually need it. Then you're good to go.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,590 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Winterizing Tips (some may be overkill but Im listing them anyway):

Wash, clay and wax the car
Fill tank to full or 1/4 tank (depending what you believe) and add Stabil
Put Battery on Tender
Inflate tires to 35 psi
Change oil and oil filter
Lubricate all weatherstripping (doors, targa, Vert top, rear cargo, hood (use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant or Mother's VLR)
Clean and condition leather areas of interior
Lower windows down about an inch
Place something (soft) under tires (old floor mats, rubber shop mats, etc to avoid moisture and flat spots (many will argue this and say its not needed but I do it)
Get a "good" indoor or outdoor cover (depending where your Vette is parked for the winter)

Kiss her good-night and go cry till April...
Wow, that's intense, you seriously go through all this to put your car away for a few months?

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Ya think?
The OCD level of C7 owners far surpasses that of C6 owners. No idea why but after owning both it's a striking difference. I think some forget it's a Chevy.
Some owners definitely take the preparing for winter storage too far however I don't know why you like to label it OCD or what you think being a Chevy has to do with it.
It's quite simple, some people just like to take good care of their cars (Chevy or not) and keep them nice, others just don't care as much.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 11-14-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I go by this guide: http://sons-of-speed.com/blog1/2015/...rize-your-car/
Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Buy a CARBAG. WWW.carbag.com. Your car will be sealed in the bag with Omni Dry Desiccant. You won't have to worry about mice, bugs or moisture. When you take your Vette out of storage it will be exactly the way it was when you put it away. No mice dust dirt or rust. I paid 277 dollars US delivered to my door and that included 5 lbs of Desiccant. How much is your Vette worth? How much is it worth to you? Have you guys ever seen how much damage mice can do to a stored vehicle?
Do have a pic of it in action?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jedi-Jurist
Do have a pic of it in action?
When I put my car away I can post pics on how it looks. The web site does show some pics of a car being wrapped.

Quick Reply: Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?