Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 PM
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member

Liked 211 Times in 113 Posts
Default Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

I didn't think finding storage for my Vette would be that difficult but it was a total pain in the ***. So many ******* advertising spaces and they don't reply to inquiries or calls. Made a deal with a dude to keep it in a condo building temp controlled secure garage on Sunday, then he ghosted me when I asked when we could meet to exchange cash and entry fob.

So anyway I got a 10 x 20 garage type drive-in storage unit today. Totally secure. But not temp controlled. It's around the corner from my office so I can go start the car regularly and I will keep full insurance on it so I can take it for short drives if the weather is not bad. It's going in on Saturday. Has a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe overfill the tires? If so, how much?

Last edited by FLEXjs; 11-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM
speedlink
CF Senior Member

Liked 163 Times in 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
I didn't think finding storage for my Vette would be that difficult but it was a total pain in the ***. So many ******* advertising spaces and they don't reply to inquiries or calls. Made a deal with a dude to keep it in a condo building temp controlled secure garage on Sunday, then he ghosted me when I asked when we could meet to exchange cash and entry fob.

So anyway I got a 10 x 20 garage type drive-in storage unit today. Totally secure. But not temp controlled. It's around the corner from my office so I can go start the car regularly and I will keep full insurance on it so I can take it for short drives if the weather is not bad. It's going in on Saturday. Has a full tank of fuel and a fresh oil change.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe overfill the tires? If so, how much?
I would not start it periodically, unless you drive it to get it up to normal operating temperatures. I would also add Stabil to the gas. There have been some who say only have about 1/4 tank of gas, so as to not foul the fuel pump. I have normally stored in the past with a full tank and Stabil.
The following 3 users liked this post by speedlink:
Hotstick11 (11-16-2018), owc6 (11-15-2018), Thunder22 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 PM
eseibel67
CF Senior Member

Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts

Changed oil - good. Dont bother starting it until spring, engines wear most at cold start. And run the tank down well below 1/4 for storage to prevent sulfur buildup on sending unit. Overfilling tires a bit is ok to help prevent flatspotting, but I find that tires go back to round fairly quickly when driven again.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:13 PM
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member

Liked 211 Times in 113 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67 View Post
Dont bother starting it until spring,
What about the battery? Wouldn't it likely be dead in 5 months without starting it occasionally?

Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM
c54u
CF Senior Member

Liked 388 Times in 290 Posts

What about the battery? Wouldn't it likely be dead in 5 months without starting it occasionally?
Keep it plugged into a battery tender/maintainer.

Last edited by c54u; 11-13-2018 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post: c54u
owc6 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 1,881 Times in 1,169 Posts

Really need a battery tender, if storage unit doesn't have power might want to look somewhere else. Other than that, you don't have to do much if only storing for 5 months.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Liked 769 Times in 597 Posts

Mice can do quite alot of damage over the course of a winter.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 PM
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,250 Times in 882 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

If no power in the storage unit and battery is good take it out and put it on a tender/maintainer.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 PM
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member

Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts

I've got to remind you guys that a number of Corvettes slumber outside on dealership lots over the winter, with nothing more than an occasional battery charge.

While I agree that we like to maintain our babies, realistically, other than looking after the battery occasionally, you don't have to worry this hibernation. Follow the advice against idling the engine. Don't start a cold engine without a plan to drive it somewhere.
The following 3 users liked this post by fnbrowning:
Inferno18 (11-14-2018), owc6 (11-15-2018), Steve_R (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 PM
gmarcucio
CF Senior Member

Liked 84 Times in 68 Posts

I would give it a nice coat of wax and especially wax the wheels being they are sitting close to the ground with no detailing those months of not driving it. I always give my wheels a nice coat of wax all year round on all of my cars and it pays off people always ask me how I keep my wheels looking so nice!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 PM
JDSC7VETTE
CF Senior Member

Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts

Battery tender, fuel stabilizer, car cover and if there is a possibility of mice getting into it I would get a carbag that zips around the car. These are all the things I have for my car and I'm storing it inside the garage attached to my house. I figure I have about 600 bucks US invested in all the stuff I mentioned but it's peanuts compared to what I'm protecting for almost 5 Months a year.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:57 PM
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member

Liked 104 Times in 93 Posts

What do you use for Stabil in methanol?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 PM
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member

Liked 545 Times in 421 Posts

Startron.
The following users liked this post: Zjoe6
Matthewstorm (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 AM
sandcracker21
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Like others said, battery tender is important.

I use stabil in a 100% full tank and a battery tender. Other than that, I place 'stay-dry' in the interior (overkill)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:09 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 425 Times in 343 Posts

Agree with others on not starting the car during the period. Regarding how to keep engine lubricated when it's time to start months later: keep your foot on the gas (full throttle, 100%, or it won't work), and then push the start button. This will cause the engine to crank but not start, oiling it at very low RPMs. After that, just start it regularly.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 AM
JDSC7VETTE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm View Post
What do you use for Stabil in methanol?
There are many products including Startron that work well with Ethanol. Some guys swear by seafoam and that's all they use.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 AM
fsvoboda
CF Senior Member

Liked 388 Times in 284 Posts

Stabil and battery tender, and it should be fine. That's what I do. No power to storage unit? Pulling the battery and putting it on a tender might be useful, but I regularly store my boat without a tender over winters and have no problem, just trickle charge up to full voltage in spring and am good to go. One battery replacement in over a decade.

C7s are no more fragile than any other car in long term storage so far as I can see.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM
JDSC7VETTE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fsvoboda View Post
Stabil and battery tender, and it should be fine. That's what I do. No power to storage unit? Pulling the battery and putting it on a tender might be useful, but I regularly store my boat without a tender over winters and have no problem, just trickle charge up to full voltage in spring and am good to go. One battery replacement in over a decade.

C7s are no more fragile than any other car in long term storage so far as I can see.
Your boat doesn't have any electronic draw on your battery like the Corvette does. You will kill your battery unless you either battery tend it or remove it and battery tend it somewhere else.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Mayor111
CF Senior Member

Liked 586 Times in 359 Posts

Winterizing Tips (some may be overkill but Im listing them anyway):

Wash, clay and wax the car
Fill tank to full or 1/4 tank (depending what you believe) and add Stabil
Put Battery on Tender
Inflate tires to 35 psi
Change oil and oil filter
Lubricate all weatherstripping (doors, targa, Vert top, rear cargo, hood (use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant or Mother's VLR)
Clean and condition leather areas of interior
Lower windows down about an inch
Place something (soft) under tires (old floor mats, rubber shop mats, etc to avoid moisture and flat spots (many will argue this and say its not needed but I do it)
Get a "good" indoor or outdoor cover (depending where your Vette is parked for the winter)

Kiss her good-night and go cry till April...
The following 3 users liked this post by Mayor111:
Formula52 (11-14-2018), kaufmansm (11-15-2018), ZERRY 316 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Inferno18
CF Senior Member

Liked 142 Times in 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
I've got to remind you guys that a number of Corvettes slumber outside on dealership lots over the winter, with nothing more than an occasional battery charge.

While I agree that we like to maintain our babies, realistically, other than looking after the battery occasionally, you don't have to worry this hibernation. Follow the advice against idling the engine. Don't start a cold engine without a plan to drive it somewhere.
I couldn't agree more! I think some over think the whole storage thing and that's fine it's your car. I bought my 2018 last October and only put around 500 miles on it before it got put away for the winter. I took it for it's 500 mile oil change, gave it a quick detail and backed it in the garage and put a light indoor cover on it and plugged in the battery tender. I didn't do anything to the tires and they were still pegged at 32 psi in the spring.

This year I just recently took it for it's second oil change at 4600 miles, detailed it the other day and backed it in the garage. I don't have the tender on it yet or the cover on as I am hoping to get out a few more times before winter really sets in.
The following users liked this post: Inferno18
Lee Hunt1919 (11-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: