Sponsored by:

Blind spot detector

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson

When I'm going to change lanes, I check my rear view, then my side view, signal, make sure traffic in front isn't braking or whatever, then.

Check the side AGAIN. Either turn your head a second time OR check the side view mirror a second time.
If everyone did this there would be a lot less accidents
Old 11-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I haven't had issues in the Vette yet, but in our new Cadillac, the sensors definitely saved me from a freeway speed accident on Sunday. I was approaching an area where two freeway lanes merge into one; checked the mirrors, looked over shoulder more than once and I was clear except for car in the other lane many car lengths behind me, going approximately the same speed.

As the lanes started to merge, the guy in the car many car lengths behind me had decided to gun it, the sensor went off and I swerved and missed him at the last instant. That is one of the few times that using the old school approach didn't help me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Guitarking1:
NoRuls (11-15-2018), nwalker (03-08-2021), wadenelson (11-17-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM
oxo
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, our Outback has BSD and I do like it, even more the Cross Traffic detection. And the adaptive cruise control is very nice on those long interstate drives. I'd love to have all that on my Stingray. But when I'm driving it it's hard to imagine complaining about anything.
The following users liked this post:
NoRuls (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 375 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by oxo
Yea, our Outback has BSD and I do like it, even more the Cross Traffic detection. And the adaptive cruise control is very nice on those long interstate drives. I'd love to have all that on my Stingray. But when I'm driving it it's hard to imagine complaining about anything.
Agree, I bet the C8 will have a lot of this technology, and probably the 2020 and beyond C7 (if it exists).
Old 11-15-2018, 02:20 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I have my mirrors set spot-on, but all this talk about convex dot mirrors made me purchase some. I already think I wasted my money and haven't even put them on yet. Question: I don't want to cover areas that are "critical." So, those that show the cars on either side when they're closest, on the factory mirror. So I've been trying to study where that might be. For those that have them, do you put them on the corners closest to the window, or farther away. High, or low? I'm thinking high so I can see the factory mirror below the dot. and on the far outside so I can see the area closest to the car on the factory mirror. But images I see in the marketing pictures of these dot mirrors don't quite agree.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:21 PM
H Watkins
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '21

Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

This is the thing that is irritating about the Corvette team. They let their current models die on the vine, and don't keep them updated.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:22 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by at7000ft
Agree, I bet the C8 will have a lot of this technology, and probably the 2020 and beyond C7 (if it exists).
As I mentioned in my OP the C8's will have BSD. I was told this by Paul Koerner when I was in for service. Trouble is I want it in my 2016 coupe!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
Red Flame >>I'm looking at the VOXX system that addresses all the issues that you mentioned
I have to agree that having other cars that have this feature that I have to be consciously aware that the vette does not.

Thanks for the pointer. I found a local place that installs them.

$1200 installed, and about $600 for the kit itself. But taking the rear bumper off the C7 is not easy.

Looks promising. I see BOYO makes one also, but the reviews are not very good on the BOYO.

Last edited by Flame Red; 11-16-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
I have my mirrors set spot-on, but all this talk about convex dot mirrors made me purchase some. I already think I wasted my money and haven't even put them on yet. Question: I don't want to cover areas that are "critical." So, those that show the cars on either side when they're closest, on the factory mirror. So I've been trying to study where that might be. For those that have them, do you put them on the corners closest to the window, or farther away. High, or low? I'm thinking high so I can see the factory mirror below the dot. and on the far outside so I can see the area closest to the car on the factory mirror. But images I see in the marketing pictures of these dot mirrors don't quite agree.
See my post # 8. I used that oval mirror in the upper right on my 2014 Z51 and a similar mirror on my Grand Sport.

There are posts of a fellow who buys a larger European convex mirror and shows how to cut it down to fit and cover the compete C7 mirror. Believe he attaches with 3M double sided tape. BTW, that is what I use on mine, better than the "stuff" that came with it.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IAIA
...High, or low? I'm thinking high so I can see the factory mirror below the dot. and on the far outside so I can see the area closest to the car on the factory mirror. But images I see in the marketing pictures of these dot mirrors don't quite agree.
FWIW, rented a Ford that came with one that looked like this in the upper far left. That is where I have mine and works for me. Just be sure it is glass.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Not once have I wanted to have all those systems on my corvette. There is too much government mandated stuff on cars now hampering folks ability to learn to drive. Added weight and more stuff to cause issues and hamper designers styling. If you're going to drive a car, drive it. Not rely on a bunch of systems. Green light detection would be great for the folks playing on their phones at the lights tho. lol
Old 11-16-2018, 11:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by speed4tu
…. Green light detection would be great for the folks playing on their phones at the lights tho. lol
Hmm, I'm all for the Federal Government staying out of regulations as well BUT..I'd be for States treating a driver using a phone in a car as they do DUI and Insurance companies the same!

IMO it's the worse thing that has happened to driving! I have not had an accident with another vehicle in 60 years partly due to luck and mostly knowing where all cars are around me all the time. I have changed my MO when coming up to a red light! I slow down to a crawl well before the light so whoever is behind me "can't get ready to use their phone" by looking to see who sent the last useless text message before they stop! If it was their girlfriend with a crazy message they may look a few seconds too long and be in my rear!

Recently there was a young girl killed at an red light not far from my home and the officer believed she was driving through what she saw as a green light and was looking at her phone when it turned red!. A log truck coming down the 4 lane highway, who had the green light, ran into her and she died instantly. The officer said he sees that all the time.

I have my iPhone set to not receive calls when moving and never connected Bluetooth in the Vette so I would not be tempted! Need all my attention looking out for distracted drivers to maintain my accident free record! Plenty of time to answer useless text messages when I stop!
Treating cell phone use like DUI first appears harsh but the alternative is what the co-managing director of our German company told me as we were driving at ~150 mph on the Autobahn. He had a big Mercedes with the biggest engine offered (that company car was part of his compensation package!) As a car was pulling out of the right lane on this two lane Autobahn to pass a truck going perhaps 70 mph he had to slam on his brakes. I asked if he worries about people like that. He said not many around as they don't live long! By default our "do nothing attitude about the issue" appears by default to be our answer to Cell phone use in cars. I'll just make sure I'm not involved!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by wadenelson
When I'm going to change lanes, I check my rear view, then my side view, signal, make sure traffic in front isn't braking or whatever, then.
Very important to signal properly. In fact, start signaling your lane change before you start your second check. I've been trying hard to actively always do this but sometimes I fail to. It's a simple thing. If you signal before you start changing lanes and change lanes slowly, if there is somebody in the blind spot or about to enter the blind spot they'll probably honk and you'll avoid an accident.

I also do this - when a car is in the lane to the left of me and he's signaled his desire to change lanes into my lane and I want to get into his lane, often people will badly judge if they have enough room to change lanes even when the have a decent amount of room. I will signal my lane change then move 1/2 way into the left lane. It's at this time when the guy in front will say "Oh, I guess I have enough room and start changing into the right lane. It's like they don't have their mirrors set properly which they probably don't. I only learned the proper way to set them a few years ago myself. Anyway, as they start their lane change I can complete my lane change. Works every time and I consider it a courteous maneuver for the other guy.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

My Honda CR-V has a camera built in the mirror when you signal that shows you the full blind area and it cost $24,000.
Come on G M Sports car does not mean scare car!!!
NoRuls (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have to agree that having other cars that have this feature that I have to be consciously aware that the vette does not.

Thanks for the pointer. I found a local place that installs them.

$1200 installed, and about $600 for the kit itself. But taking the rear bumper off the C7 is not easy.

Looks promising. I see BOYO makes one also, but the reviews are not very good on the BOYO.
Found a place here in CT for $1400 installed,,,,, time to head South!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 PM
oxo
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu
Not once have I wanted to have all those systems on my corvette. There is too much government mandated stuff on cars now hampering folks ability to learn to drive. Added weight and more stuff to cause issues and hamper designers styling. If you're going to drive a car, drive it. Not rely on a bunch of systems. Green light detection would be great for the folks playing on their phones at the lights tho. lol
The statistics don't support that. And all cars will be completely self driving well before the end of this century. That's why I got a Corvette ,,, last chance to enjoy the road while it's still "open". It's an accelerating future, you either get over it, or get run over by it.
The following 2 users liked this post by oxo:
JerryU (11-17-2018), wadenelson (11-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Blind spot detector

Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

The C7 race cars have blind spot monitoring. I’ll bet it is CAN integrated. Not sure if it is camera based or radar based. Maybe if one of the techs on the team is on here we could get some information on that system.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I posted previously I do not miss or need a blind spot detector. I use my mirrors which adequately cover my blind spot. In fact, I do not need to move my head to change lanes safely. That said, I do wish we had the option to activate the rear view camera while driving so we can see cars approaching from the rear/sides. This would clearly augment the mirrors and provide added safety. If for nothing else when slowing down or stopping you can see (and possibly avoid) getting rear ended!

Last edited by Maxie2U; 11-17-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm starting to think the best blind spot detector currently on any of our cars is a 'vert!
pnsnkr (11-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Blind spot detector