Sponsored by:

Blind spot detector

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Blind spot detector

Now that I've almost been killed three times pulling up an entrance ramp on to the highway because of a lack of Blind Spot Detection it's time to look into an aftermarket system. There seems to be two or three systems out there that seem about right. Any thoughts on brand, quality or pricing, mostly quality? With our cars costing in the 80K +- range would it have killed them to have these included in a vehicle with such terrible visibility? No pun intended... The C8's will have them.

Last edited by NoRuls; 11-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Artarmy (04-19-2023)

Popular Reply

11-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
Right on cue! Honestly the C7's blind spots are not that bad (for me at least), the mirrors once adjusted stick out wide and low being door mounted which offers a pretty good view. My previous car - a Nissan 350Z had HORRIBLE blind spots that despite endless adjustments to the mirrors was never fully cured. Those mirrors were just mounted too high and too close to the body to show you enough to the side. I added those little convex stick on mirrors and just learned to be very careful with lane changes or merging. At first I feared the C7 would be even worse, given its big hips (rear fenders) - however the door mounted mirrors make up for it.
agree. a blind spot system would be great- maybe the C8. In lieu of one, the side mirrors can be adjusted to cover the blind spots.

On your left, lean your head left almost to the window and look in the left mirror to adjust it to just catch the left edge of the car (in the right side of the mirror image). On the right, lean your head right almost to the middle divider and look in the right mirror to adjust it to just catch the right edge of the car (in the left side of the mirror image). The three mirrors should cover the blind spots now. I've pulled alongside parked cars on both sides to check for sure.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

What system are you looking at?

The problem with aftermarket systems is that they usually do not have CANBUS integration and don't know when your turn signals are on, when your steering wheel is turning, etc. and so will produce a lot of false alerts. The OEM systems work pretty well because they have all these feeds. I have yet to see any aftermarket that does, but I have not looked for a while.

You will get a thousand post telling you how to adjust your mirrors.

The other thing is you can go with a NAVTOOL and use side view cameras if that is any help.
NoRuls (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
You will get a thousand post telling you how to adjust your mirrors.
Right on cue! Honestly the C7's blind spots are not that bad (for me at least), the mirrors once adjusted stick out wide and low being door mounted which offers a pretty good view. My previous car - a Nissan 350Z had HORRIBLE blind spots that despite endless adjustments to the mirrors was never fully cured. Those mirrors were just mounted too high and too close to the body to show you enough to the side. I added those little convex stick on mirrors and just learned to be very careful with lane changes or merging. At first I feared the C7 would be even worse, given its big hips (rear fenders) - however the door mounted mirrors make up for it.

The following 3 users liked this post by JMII:
Jmhornz71 (04-22-2023), joghotrod (04-22-2023), NoRuls (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

agree. a blind spot system would be great- maybe the C8. In lieu of one, the side mirrors can be adjusted to cover the blind spots.

On your left, lean your head left almost to the window and look in the left mirror to adjust it to just catch the left edge of the car (in the right side of the mirror image). On the right, lean your head right almost to the middle divider and look in the right mirror to adjust it to just catch the right edge of the car (in the left side of the mirror image). The three mirrors should cover the blind spots now. I've pulled alongside parked cars on both sides to check for sure.

Last edited by Parcival; 11-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Parcival:
Artarmy (04-19-2023), LenWoodruff (04-29-2023), Mello Yello Maizey (11-20-2018), NoRuls (11-15-2018), orca1946 (11-16-2018), oxo (11-15-2018), smhigh (11-15-2018), Tony1320 (04-25-2023), Yaupon (11-17-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:51 PM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

^^^^ exactly, you can see everything behind and to the side with this setup ^^^

These cars have 0 blind spots compared to the Gen 5 Camaro, that car was a nightmare...
The following 3 users liked this post by cowboy casey:
HartRod (11-21-2018), NoRuls (11-15-2018), speedlink (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Adjust your side mirrors and the problem won’t seem so serious.
When you look into your side mirrors you should NOT see much of your car at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Neil Baker:
ShadyVette (04-19-2023), vetten76 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:36 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Adjust the mirrors CORRECTLY and blind spots aren't an issue
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
Kent1999 (11-15-2018), vetten76 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:06 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Don’t think the blind spot detector on the wife’s BMW SUV is all that great! Sure it pics up cars directly behind each fender BUT that is not enough!

Been using the method of setting my mirrors "folks call correct" from about when the SAE Tech paper came out in the mid 1990's that defined it! But that many page paper discussed defensive driving and said you must follow cars that are going to enter your blind spot NOT just the ones that are there.

This graphic is often used to condense the multiple page tech article. However many folks don't read the right side and/or understand the pic. I modified in grayed out to show the problem with the C7.

Never needed "blind spot mirrors" in my '88, '93, 2008 C6 Vette coupes because they had a reasonably good view of the rear. As soon as I got my 2014 Z51 coupe realized it did not! My Grand Sport with Stage 2 aero that includes rear spoiler side extensions is even worse! Almost as bad a vert with the top up. That small "blind spot mirror" in pic allows me to follow AH's barreling down the left (or some right) lane at 15 to 20mph over my speed on the Interstate (speed limit+ 7) and will soon be there. Recently saw one in an SUV pass me with his cell phone on his steering wheel texting! It is a help when entering the Interstate as well. IMO better than blind sport detection that doesn't see back far enough especially if going slower than traffic as you enter an Interstate.

To each their own but works for me WITH PROPERLY SET MIRRORS!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-14-2018 at 04:04 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by JerryU:
Artarmy (04-19-2023), mbaessler (04-19-2023), Mello Yello Maizey (11-20-2018), Mike Campbell (11-18-2018), NoRuls (11-15-2018), z edge (11-14-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Adjust the mirrors CORRECTLY and blind spots aren't an issue
All it takes.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Almost 5 years driving my C7 vert daily and not once have I wished it had blind spot detectors.
george vee (11-22-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Because your tops always down he-he
Artarmy (04-19-2023)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:08 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I adjust my mirrors correctly as well and make quick lane changes to the right with just a look at my mirror (and situational awareness to make sure nobody is approaching at 120 mph). The only thing is that when you don't see much of the rear of your car and so you don't see much of the lane straight back, and it's bumper to bumper (SoCal) esp with a car behind you that you can't really see past that well, you can't always see bikers splitting lanes. I have to be very careful to look for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by IAIA:
Artarmy (04-19-2023), NoRuls (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Adjust your mirrors per the diagram in post # 8 as well as glancing over your shoulder and you should be fine. Honestly when i first got my car i was a bit scared of the blind spots on the test drive and the drive home. After a few days i had gotten used to it and they really aren't so bad.
Artarmy (04-19-2023)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I'm not sure when blind spot detectors first came to the forefront. My ten year old cars never had them, but my four year old car does, so I'm guessing between 5 and 10 years ago us when they started appearing. So my question is: How could you have possibly survived without them prior to ten years ago? Now don't go claiming Vettes are uniquely terrible with regards to vision. Lots of other cars are, too. Unless you love driving an AMC Pacer, you've had to contend with the necessity of looking over your shoulder in most cars you've driven. So why are you not already a casualty?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Almost 5 years driving my C7 vert daily and not once have I wished it had blind spot detectors.
Exactly! The more we had these so-called smart systems, the more inept and aware drivers become.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:06 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
So my question is: How could you have possibly survived without them prior to ten years ago?
Same thing could be said about airbags, ABS, traction control, reverse cameras and all kinds of other safety features. Do you *need* blind spot monitors? No... but would they would be nice to have? Heck yeah! I was disappointed to learn the C7 didn't have them, but thankfully so far its been a non-issue.
NoRuls (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:11 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I looked into aftermarket systems and one of the issues I found is they function based on movement. If someone is "camped" in your blind spot they become invisible to the system. In lieu of that the next best thing is the Navtool with side cameras. I was able to snag a convex drivers side mirror (sorry, only 1 was left) and by adjusting my mirrors out I get acceptable visibility. I've been trying to get aspheric mirrors and even have a potential vendor. Alas they are having problems with their source. I have them on a 2009 Tacoma and refer to them as superman mirrors. If you're not in the mirror I can see your fender in my peripheral vision. They rock.

Get notified of new replies

To Blind spot detector

Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z edge
Adjust your mirrors per the diagram in post # 8 as well as glancing over your shoulder and you should be fine. Honestly when i first got my car i was a bit scared of the blind spots on the test drive and the drive home. After a few days i had gotten used to it and they really aren't so bad.
Yep when there is time, can't beat looking over your shoulder. But having that small mirror and knowing where all cares are around all the time has helped twice on the Interstate when following an SUV and a truck. They went directly over an 18 wheeler tire tread and I had a quick decision with no time to look so chage lanes or destroy my splitter! Happened with my 2014 Z51 and as I always drove in Sport or Track, as it was a none MRC, it felt like a Go Kart! I was in the center lane and knew it was clear on the left. Same thing happened with my Grand Sport when I was driving in Touring. It handled fine but I still wanted to be able to have the nannies and transient response in Sport. Now with the MRC update I drive it Sport and can feel the difference in when the nannies come in as well as the throttle response. I now don't need the Vitesse controller!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Again adjust your mirrors don't be afraid to move your head now and then holy smokes blind spots are gone..
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mschuyler
... Now don't go claiming Vettes are uniquely terrible with regards to vision. Lots of other cars are, too. Unless you love driving an AMC Pacer, you've had to contend with the necessity of looking over your shoulder in most cars you've driven. So why are you not already a casualty?
As I said on a post in this Thread I don't think the electronic "blind spot" detectors are as good as adjusting your mirrors properly when you have a good view of the rear and continually subconsciously looking at all of them. In the C7 I'll add seeing what is visible in that small blind spot mirror as well as well. You need to see who is barreling up on the left! On the right the convex mirror provides the needed vision.

I know luck is part of why in ~60 years of driving I have never had an accent with another car. But I also spend a lot of time looking at my mirrors. As I said in my '88, '93 and 08 C6 never had or needed small blind spot mirrors.

DISTRACTED DRIVERS
Frankly with all the distracted driving and cell phone use, even hands off it's scary! Didn't have that added risk 10 years ago!

I have my iPhone set to not receive calls when moving and never connected Bluetooth so I'm not tempted. Lived most of my life with no ability to talk to folks while driving, why start! Need all my attention to watch out for them! Funny when I was talking to my daughter who is always on the phone I mentioned that 90% of those text message are probably useless. She said no Dad 99%!

I watch young folks including my 5 grandchildren who have their thumbs on their phones all the time! Last week I was taking the underground train at the Atlanta Airport and watched as a young girl had both thumbs punching away on her phone engrossed in whatever when it stopped. She fell over like a stick, phone still in both hands. She was fortunate her friend was their to catch her! Like Pavlov's dogs it's a learned conditioned response! They can't help themselves. Some folks have to look to see who set that latest text message every time the phone beeps. Takes just long enough to be in your rear if you have to stop unexpectedly!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-14-2018 at 09:29 PM.
NoRuls (11-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Blind spot detector