Sponsored by:

Final freebie oil change....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Default Final freebie oil change....

I just had my 3rd free oil change done at the dealer on my 17 GS. I have a 12 year relationship with my service advisor but he was out to lunch when I arrived so I went over to the Express Oil Change desk to get written up. It truly amazes me how many people working in these service departments still don't know that all Corvettes get Mobil1 with no up charge. She proceeds to write me up....opens the hood and looks at the cap and says...ok, you get Dexos oil. I stopped her in her tracks and said Nope, all Corvettes get Mobil1 full synthetic (which is Dexos certified). I then had to explain to her that Dexos is an oil standard, and not an oil. I think she was confused because GM calls their oil Dexos. She also argued with me when I asked to have the tires rotated (side to side). She said you can't rotate Corvette tires. I corrected her. The good news is the technicians at this dealer always do a great job on my car. They put exactly 9.5 quarts in and when I got it home and checked the level it was perfect. I blame it partly on the fact that GM keeps sending out conflicting bulletins. She actually showed me a bulletin that sates All Corvettes from 2014 - 2016 that was published in April, 2018. It doesn't really matter anymore since I'll be paying for all future oil changes. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I believe some C6's had directional oem tires, so there was no rotating them. My C6 had them. I was pleasantly surprised when I got my C7 that tires could be rotated side to side.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

I bought a Mobil-1 oil cap from Amazon to try to avoid issues like you had. Pretty cheap to do. You can also contact Mobil and get a large set of decals which you can use on your existing oil cap. Search CF for threads on this.

C5's had directional tires, too.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

I typically never let them even do the oil changes on my cars. Just not worth the time or angst. I do them myself starting with the 500.

With the GS I just bought I thought I might give it a shot so I called the service dept at the local dealer and asked them if they had the 0w40 ESP. It took them a bit to confirm that they had no idea what engine oil is or does, where to put it, or how much to use. They did assure me though that they would love my future service business and wanted to set up a paid alignment appt.

I did the 500 myself LOL...

Old 11-16-2018, 11:12 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull
I typically never let them even do the oil changes on my cars. Just not worth the time or angst. I do them myself starting with the 500.

With the GS I just bought I thought I might give it a shot so I called the service dept at the local dealer and asked them if they had the 0w40 ESP. It took them a bit to confirm that they had no idea what engine oil is or does, where to put it, or how much to use. They did assure me though that they would love my future service business and wanted to set up a paid alignment appt.

Well I made the mistake of paying for a dealer oil change today. Stupid me drove away without doing a through check. As I brought my smoking z51 back in to the bay to have the oil cleaned up from my engine compartment and the fill cap actually put on I realized what a idiot I was.

Oh and when I got it home. Yep. Overfilled.

We have high performance cars sold and serviced by generally low performance dealers.

Last edited by z06inVB; 11-16-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by z06inVB

Well I made the mistake of paying for a dealer oil change today. Stupid me drove away without doing a through check. As I brought my smoking z51 back in to the bay to have the oil cleaned up from my engine compartment and the fill cap actually put on I realized what a idiot I was.

MAN I'm sorry to hear that... OUCH.

We have high performance cars sold and serviced by generally low performance dealers.
Well put! (yes I quoted your one post twice because it made sense to me).
Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I just had my 3rd free oil change done at the dealer on my 17 GS. I have a 12 year relationship with my service advisor but he was out to lunch when I arrived so I went over to the Express Oil Change desk to get written up. It truly amazes me how many people working in these service departments still don't know that all Corvettes get Mobil1 with no up charge. She proceeds to write me up....opens the hood and looks at the cap and says...ok, you get Dexos oil. I stopped her in her tracks and said Nope, all Corvettes get Mobil1 full synthetic (which is Dexos certified). I then had to explain to her that Dexos is an oil standard, and not an oil. I think she was confused because GM calls their oil Dexos. She also argued with me when I asked to have the tires rotated (side to side). She said you can't rotate Corvette tires. I corrected her. The good news is the technicians at this dealer always do a great job on my car. They put exactly 9.5 quarts in and when I got it home and checked the level it was perfect. I blame it partly on the fact that GM keeps sending out conflicting bulletins. She actually showed me a bulletin that sates All Corvettes from 2014 - 2016 that was published in April, 2018. It doesn't really matter anymore since I'll be paying for all future oil changes. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Which dealer?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Earnhardt on Arizona Ave in Chandler. Sales department is horrible but their service department does good work. As I said, I've been going there for 12 years with my C6 and two C7's with no issues. I buy my Corvettes at either Kerbeck or MacMulkin.

Last edited by Myfourth1; 11-17-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Yes, but a service rep should know that C7 tires are no longer directional.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

I have the labels. Just never put them on...lol
Old 11-17-2018, 01:16 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
I bought a Mobil-1 oil cap from Amazon to try to avoid issues like you had. Pretty cheap to do. You can also contact Mobil and get a large set of decals which you can use on your existing oil cap. Search CF for threads on this.

C5's had directional tires, too.
I went sticker happy in the engine compartment.

The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
DALE#3 (11-17-2018), Yaupon (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
I just had my 3rd free oil change done at the dealer on my 17 GS...She proceeds to write me up....opens the hood and looks at the cap and says...ok, you get Dexos oil.
Originally Posted by Null Pointer
I believe some C6's had directional oem tires, so there was no rotating them.
Nope they are asymmetrical but NOT directional.
Originally Posted by Grand Slam
I bought a Mobil-1 oil cap from Amazon to try to avoid issues like you had.
Many newbie techs who work the oil change bay could care less what it says on the cap. It's easier to pump from the 55 gallon drum of dexos approved oil the boos bought from a low cost supplier! Could be even an oil blend as there some dexos certified. It's much easier for the tech to use the oil in those 55 gallon drums than go to the parts department and drag back quarts of Mobil 1.

Did all my own in my 2014 Z51 and my Grand Sport.

Well I made the mistake of paying for a dealer oil change today. Stupid me drove away without doing a through check.
Originally Posted by joemessman
I went sticker happy in the engine compartment.
That big sticker was a good idea! Hopefully the tech will read and follow.
Wonder why some of us do all our own changes? Free is not worth the risk of:

Car being jacked improperly resulting in cracked rocker panels. Tech is not going to buy lifting pads for the few Vettes he does. To use those the dealer "might have" has to go to parts and check them out and return! PIA.

Many reports of overfilling particularly with a dry sump. The Service Manual says and I what I have done for over 60 years of doing oil changes is check the level. The Service Manual states "The volume in a table is ONLY and estimate!" Checking the oil level that is required in a dry sump means running the engine for ~10 minutes to get it hot, checking between 5 but not more than 10 minutes after shutting it off! Even the best C7 tach may not as it takes time!

It's much easier to pull a gun trigger on a pump from the 55 gallon drum of dexos approved oil in the oil change bay than go to the parts department, get quarts of Mobil 1 and lug them back to the oil change work bay!

I buy the proper Mobil 1 at Walmart and after the Mobil rebate pay <$2.50/quart. Quicker than going into town to risk what might happen!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-17-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:57 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I'll be looking for another dealer for my 3rd Oil change also.I just posted this post on another thread.Me being a one finger typist,I have tings to do this morning.
My vette purchase was over 300 miles away so the search was on for a dealer.First step:How many corvettes do they sell? I believe it is mandatory from GM that If you sell Corvette, A Tech has to be schooled and updated.How many per sales per teck ratio i have no clue.
Picked a New Chevy Building,Hopefully Old Tecks.They had about 12 Vetts in stock.Before the appointment personally started quizzing them.Played stupid and got the right answers.
Because of Insurance reasons,Witch is To Me.I wanna watch the guy wrench.I payed i wanna watch,Right?
So ya gotta do a little Smuezzing.Hay So,How long you been a Service Manager?Yada,Yada.
Can i please see my car on the lift? It was lifted right.Oh,Could you please leave the drain plugs open a little extra to drain?I asked a couple questions (played dumb)The Teck had the right answers.I went to shake his hand.A Twenty was rolled tight.The transfer was made.Thumps up.
The next oil change was a F'N NIGHTMARE.I caught it.A different Kid drove the car in.RUT ROE,Gotta somehow watch.A small window was their.Saw some of the car.
A wall blocked half the car.I was able to hear and view the part counter.
The Kid was questioning how many quarts to put in that gray Vette over their? I hid around the Corner,Fuming and Listening for Todays big decision...

Finally,A voice yelled out so everyone in the Lounge area could hear.
What Kind of Oil are you putting in that Corvette??How Many QUARTS?
NO,You put in 9.And give me the 10th Quart.Ohh,By the way all instructions are on the cap.OHH...Yea OHH!
Next Dealer...
OP I'm traveling to the next Dealer.Hopefully you can find a good one?
Change Hopefully is good? Gotta have Confidence in a dealer.You never know with anything Mechanical?
**** Does And Will Happen
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

After paying $46 for my one and only 'free' oil change, I haven't been back.
That was in November 2014.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null Pointer I believe some C6's had directional oem tires, so there was no rotating them.

Call it what you want, each tire on my C6 had an arrow on it pointing the forward direction. According to the 2013 Corvette user manual, these tires were not to be rotated. OP, sorry for the threadjack.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

I should’ve done it myself recently.

Coming out my new Z with no warning lights goin in now gets an airbag warning light I have to turn off and passenger side seat belt warning!

Guessing someone disturbed the under the seat connectors that control both airbag and seat belt sensor. doh!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

No worries. It's all good information people should be aware of.

Get notified of new replies

To Final freebie oil change....

Old 11-17-2018, 02:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Null Pointer I believe some C6's had directional oem tires, so there was no rotating them.
Call it what you want, each tire on my C6 had an arrow on it pointing the forward direction. According to the 2013 Corvette user manual, these tires were not to be rotated. OP, sorry for the threadjack.
My Bad. Thought you were referring to the C7. The C7 are Asymmetrical, i.e. the inside Tread is narrower that the outside tread (and tire sidewall is different ) BUT they are not Directional.

Directional tires can be rotated BUT have to be remounted so the arrow your referring to is going clockwise. The C7 Asymmetrical tires say OUTSIDE printed on the tire, no Arrow. As long as that OUTSIDE word is on the outside it's fine to rotate. In fact the C7 Owner's Manual recommends rotating side to side at 7500 miles. Have done my rears and will do the fronts when I change oil.

There are tires that are both Directional and Asymmetrical. Have had these. They not only cannot be rotated they have the Directional Arrow or OUTSIDE and LEFT or RIGHT printed side on the sidewall. They must be mounted only on the side designated.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-17-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Null Pointer (11-19-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 03:10 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default One less stressor

When I bought my 2014 Z51 Conv. 1LT 7MT used a little over two years ago, I made sure of two considerations:

A. A dealer with a genuine VETTE mechanic and I hit the jackpot with Mark at Titus-Will Chevy/Buick/Caddy in Olympia, WA.
I live an hour north but it is worth the trip for the piece of mind and honesty I get from Titus-Will and Mark. Even when the
new Dexos standard came out HE said, nope we stick with Mobil One (one of the dealership owners had him do a rotisserie
rebuild of a two tone red and white '62 and it sits in the showroom. Mark knows his stuff.).

B. At the time Oil changes for life was a new idea and it was, at the time, only for new vehicles.. Just before I signed I asked
for the lifetime oil change package and they gave it to me. Six oil changes later it's Mobil One, exactly 10 qts when done.
I don't use the "Express Service", Mark changes it personally. And with that dry sump system that's a lot of oil!

Fortuitous and a customer for life....
JerryU (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Going to have to get an oil change in mine soon so I’ll have to check and see if they are up to date on how to do the oil changes. I think they will be based on past service experiences with them.

Quick Reply: Final freebie oil change....