C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M7 to A8 regrets?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:38 PM
65fastback
CF Senior Member

Default M7 to A8 regrets?

So....I am looking to upgrade from my base car and i am having a very hard time deciding on getting another M7 or switch to a A8. Looking at getting a z51 or hopefully a GS ( still a bit undecided between those two as well ) ....no z06

I am definitely NOT asking which is better! please lets not start that nonsense.

I just want to know if anyone here has made the switch from a M7 to the A8 and regretted it.
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Larry/car
CF Senior Member

If the Automatic 8 speed Corvette transmission is like the Chevy Colorado Automatic you will be sorry. The Colorado shuttered and either over shifted or under shifted all the time, one of the reasons I traded the truck in less than two years of ownership. I will not purchase another GM automatic until the company redesignes their current model transmission.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry/car For This Useful Post:
65fastback (11-18-2018), airmed2 (11-22-2018), JimNeedsC7 (11-18-2018), VaydorVette1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:08 PM
lakemg
CF Senior Member

I enjoy driving my Z51 A8 (using manual mode 95% of the time) over my 1969 Z/28 4 spd car. I've learned to play around with paddle shift timing on the A8 and have a bunch of fun with it. If I were to drive the A8 exclusively in "D" all the time, I would find it to be boring unless I was drag racing it where "D" really shines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakemg For This Useful Post:
65fastback (11-18-2018), c7twlblue (11-20-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Rebel Yell
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,796 Times in 1,244 Posts

I went from a C6 manual to a C6 auto, and didn't even look back. We use ours on long road trips, and it's so much easier to just push the skinny pedal. I now have an A8 in my '16 C7.

As far as the A8 goes the early ones did have a shudder problem, but as I understand the '19 A8's have been fine. However, you may want to make a separate post asking about the '19 A8's for you own peace of mind. I had the A8 TSB done on mine last month (it consisted of changing the fluid to a different viscosity fluid), and so far the shudder is gone. Good luck on your decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel Yell For This Useful Post:
65fastback (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 PM
dbirdhouse1
CF Senior Member

Practically, if it will be your daily, used frequently in stop and go, the automatic makes sense (hold breath on mechanical concerns with the A8); OR if you are like me and you
have a second "steady eddy" car (my wife's 2013 Prius) that you can fall back on then, do as I did and get the transmission of the elite, the few, the true lovers of a relationship
with your four wheeled amour (laying it on here, huh...) and build that intimate relationship which will mark an important moment in your life, a genuine shift in paradigms (love that word, makes
me sound sophisticated) and get the SEVEN SPEED MANUAL!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dbirdhouse1 For This Useful Post:
ojm (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:50 PM
MikeERWNC
CF Senior Member

I like the A8.
Are there a lot of whiners on Corvette Forum? Yes.

You will probably be happy with either. I drive my car and spend time in ATL traffic and I am thankful I do not have to shift.
I have 60K miles on my A8 and it works fine. Chevy has taken care of all of my issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeERWNC For This Useful Post:
c7twlblue (11-20-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

If you do go AT from M7 you'll be the first poster that didn't regret it later that I've read on forum. The only regrets I've read are from the ones that went AT. >>>> Numerous members have stated precisely that - time after time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skid Row Joe For This Useful Post:
VaydorVette1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:14 PM
65fastback
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
If you do go AT from M7 you'll be the first poster that didn't regret it later that I've read on forum. The only regrets I've read are from the ones that went AT. >>>> Numerous members have stated precisely that - time after time.

interesting...Yeah i wonder if the A8 regret from those guy is because they are having shudder issues? and not the actual driving experience difference.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 PM
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member

Personally I would never opt for an automatic transmission if a manual were available, especially in a sports car. When I was shopping for my C7 I only considered the M7.

Every auto I've ever had I've shifted it manually anyway. Heck, I rented a cargo van this summer to help move my son and it had an auto with a manual mode and I drove it in manual mode.

Last edited by FLEXjs; 11-18-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:21 PM
jversluis
CF Senior Member

17 z51 with A8 and love it. I go between manual and auto. It does do some weird things when going between v8 and v4 but I dont get much issue with it. Highway cruising I drop it in manual to keep it in v8 mode and no issues.
Going for the Range AFM in spring. The A8 does bang off the gears nicely. I tracked it once an NCM track and in track mode its a beast.
The Following User Says Thank You to jversluis For This Useful Post:
65fastback (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

I went from a manual (not Vette) to an A8 Vette. After 2 years of driving the manual, I was kinda getting over it. It's really hard to text and drive with a manual (TOTALLY KIDDING!)

But, seriously, I was kinda getting over the shifting thing. That said, I did want a manual Vette, but ended up with the auto. Just happened upon one I couldn't pass up...

Do I regret it? Yup... Not because of having any problems (yet), just because I do miss the feel of a manual. It is just more engaging. Period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sconn For This Useful Post:
65fastback (11-18-2018), FLEXjs (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

In all honesty if you have to ask then get the auto. Iím sure youíll be happy. M7 guys know that the auto isnít even an option. You really canít go wrong with either choice. Both great in their own way.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member

Barring a physical limitation is there anyone on this forum who switched from an auto to a stick and regretted it?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:19 PM
65fastback
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
In all honesty if you have to ask then get the auto. Iím sure youíll be happy. M7 guys know that the auto isnít even an option. You really canít go wrong with either choice. Both great in their own way.

I didn't ask for anyones opinion on what trans i should get.
Ive driven manuals for most of my 52 years on this planet.

Ive also had my M7 C7 for almost a year now and really like it, how do i become a member of the exclusive the "M7" club ? these folks are superior to others it seems.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:35 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
I didn't ask for anyones opinion on what trans i should get.
Ive driven manuals for most of my 52 years on this planet.

Ive also had my M7 C7 for almost a year now and really like it, how do i become a member of the exclusive the "M7" club ? these folks are superior to others it seems.
Sorry I meant if you are now questioning yourself about the M7 then you may want to consider the auto. Sounds like you may be tired of it. I know this happens. I personally get bored in an auto sports car. I enjoy the shifting myself. I know the auto is faster but donít care. I sure as hell donít think Iím better for it 😄👍🏻
The Following User Says Thank You to saleen556 For This Useful Post:
65fastback (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
interesting...Yeah i wonder if the A8 regret from those guy is because they are having shudder issues? and not the actual driving experience difference.
A8 issues aside, was my observation. I have faith that GM, will eventually favorably take care of all A8s. I might be dead wrong though.

Members report regret losing their manuals. No regret reported losing automatics. It's a big decision to make. Especially if your driving experience is satisfied with an automatic.

I'm empathetic to those that get stuck in bumper-to - bumper traffic as a twice daily grind in a manual. I get that.
VaydorVette1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sconn View Post
I went from a manual (not Vette) to an A8 Vette. After 2 years of driving the manual, I was kinda getting over it. It's really hard to text and drive with a manual (TOTALLY KIDDING!)

But, seriously, I was kinda getting over the shifting thing. That said, I did want a manual Vette, but ended up with the auto. Just happened upon one I couldn't pass up...

Do I regret it? Yup... Not because of having any problems (yet), just because I do miss the feel of a manual. It is just more engaging. Period.
This is the type of testimonial that I mentioned. ^^^|
65fastback (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

Okay, I just read your post title and I'm already regretting it!

(but, do enjoy however you decide )
Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 PM
65fastback
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post

Sorry I meant if you are now questioning yourself about the M7 then you may want to consider the auto. Sounds like you may be tired of it. I know this happens. I personally get bored in an auto sports car. I enjoy the shifting myself. I know the auto is faster but donít care. I sure as hell donít think Iím better for it 😄👍🏻
I appreciate your response! didn't mean to come unglued on you!
I get the impression form a lot of people that somehow driving a manual is a kind of badge of honor or something? make's them better than simpletons that drive auto's. I just dont like that kind of attitude sorry.

Ive driven a couple C7 A8's but for only a short time in each, I am really torn... because 1 of the reasons is because the auto IS faster.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:50 PM
_zebra
CF Senior Member

i miss my *********

but for real, for you who's been driving stick for that long (again, unless there's a physical limitation that complicates driving a standard), most folks i've talked to get bored in an auto... like Ricky Bobby not knowing what to do with his hands - or me personally randomly shoving my left foot into an empty floorboard or accidentally grasping at air in front of the HVAC (or even worse, almost pulling the stick out of D into God-only-knows-what) whenever i find myself behind the wheel of an auto.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: